Chapter 36

The Fallen #1

 "Tired already?"

 

Hana could recognize Kai's voice from anywhere. He appeared with two drinks in hand and a teasing smile.

 

"I'm bored," Hana snickered, looking at her own feet. Kai looked around for Jaejoong and spotted him among the guests. He sat down beside Hana and handed her the glass in his hand, "I'm here to entertain you then."

 

"And your fangirls? What about those ladies that won't let you go?" Hana quoted what he said earlier. Kai laughed silently, "They're still around, in case you don't notice." Kai pointed at a few girls who were either grabbing the food nearby or drinking with their parents.

 

"What do they see in you again?" It was meant to be a joke. But Kai answered it with all honesty he had, "For one, I am charming. And good looking." Hana smacked him on the back and he winced a little, "What, Princess? You know it's true!"

 

"Don't be so full of yourself," Hana rolled her eyes. Kai feigned hurt and playfully put his arms around her neck, "Well, mostly they're after my position, of course. Aside of Jaejoong, who is obviously taken, and Sehun, who's now the enemy of all, I'm next to throne, Darling. So yeah, I'm their prey."

 

"How materialistic," Hana mumbled and pinched Kai so that he would take off his arms. Kai shrugged, "What can you say. This is a social climbing party after all. Everyone is invited. Even the commoners. Obviously they're trying to somewhat catch the attention of the nobles."

 

What Kai said should have been considered arrogance, but there was truth in it as well.

 

"And it does help that I am good looking,a'rite? I'm like the complete package," Kai boasted and Hana rolled her eyes again. "Please, Jongin, you'd look much better if you keep that mouth of your shut. You ain't pretty when you're talking."

 

Kai choked on his drink and shrieked, "Are you saying I'm pretty?!"

 

"Are you saying you're not?" Hana teased and grabbed a tissue. Carefully she wiped off the drink in Kai's lips and handed it over to him, "Here, clean up the mess of yours."

 

"Woman, I am not pretty! I am handsome, I am dashing, I..." Kai roared and over-reacted over his beauty. To think that this man was more than a hundred year was just... impossible. Hana waited for him to finish, but it seemed that he was at loss of words.

 

"It was a joke, so calm the hell down," Hana chuckled, both her eyes forming two adorable crescents. Kai shut his mouth and stared at her. He couldn't help it. She was just so...beautiful. And even then, Kai thought the word beautiful didn't justify her at all. "You can be such a drama Queen at times. And I am the girl here."

 

"ist," Kai muttered. Hana stuck out a tongue and his eyes widened, "Princess! You're not supposed to do that in public! Take that back! Hurry!"

 

"How am I supposed to take that back, silly you," Hana laughed. She wasn't aware of all the stares she received from the mass. Later on, she added, her voice barely a whisper, "And it's not like I care what the others think anyway."

 

"Oh, Princess, I've heard about what you told Jiyoon then. She held grudge towards you now, you naughty girl," Kai was back to his usual self. His eyes scanned around carefully and spotted the woman they were talking about. Lady Jiyoon. With her friends. And her daughter. Hwang Minah. Kai scrunched up his nose in disgust.

 

"She deserves it, though I wish I have chosen the words more wisely. I just blurted out unconsciously," Hana frowned, recalling what she said. Now she felt silly. Kai snorted, "Would you have wished to be nicer instead?"

 

Hana gave him a look. She had forgotten all about looking for Sehun and focused on talking to Kai instead, "Do I look like I'm that nice of a person?" Kai chuckled at her terrified expression, "Hell no. I wish I have been meaner instead. Though I do wonder where I get this sudden push to be a all of a sudden."

 

"And you wish to -slap her in the face?"

 

Hana smiled, "Worse."

 

"Rip off her head?"

 

Hana pondered but not for long, "Possibly?"

 

"That, my dear princess, is called your PTS. Pasca Transformation Syndrome. Includes throwing tantrum and heightened emotion, a sudden urge to kill, a need to drink blood most of the time, maybe also hormonal problems, like and such. It's very very common for newborn vampires to experience all of that."

 

Hana looked at Kai incredulously. problem? Nah, uncheck. Throwing tantrum? She was trying to contain this iness inside with all her best. Heightened emotion? Did the need to cry or laugh sound absurd right now? A sudden urge to kill? Only towards es. Blood? Hana clutched and felt the burning sensation. She wasn't good at controlling her thirst.

 

"I think I need more blood. Everyone is starting to look like food right now," Hana groaned. Kai disappeared in an instant and appeared with a glass of blood. She wasn't even startled to see his ability, and neither were the guests. Everyone was used to the usage of ability, though Kai should have shown more courtesy by not displaying it in a party.

 

"Don't give me that look, drink before you start to attack anyone else," Kai pushed the glass to her lips and watched as she giddily drank the blood. The red color stained her red lipstick, making it much more desirable than it already was.

 

Blood. Blood always had this kind of effect on vampires.

 

"Lord Kai," A voice stopped Hana from gulping down more blood. She was thirsty, but curiosity got the best of her as she put down her glass and watched a petite girl came to Kai eagerly. Kai nodded in return, though his eyes bore no interest to her, "Good evening, Lady Yura."

 

The lady vampire was gorgeous. She had curves in all the right place. Her flawless porcelain skin was radiant under the lamplight. Her eyes were a mixture of blue and purple. She carried a confident aura, but not arrogant. A lovely lady, Hana admitted. But would Kai be interested in her?

 

"Lord Kai, would you like to join me for a dance?" Yura asked, tugging a strand of hair behind her ear. The gesture alone was a sign of attractiveness, as human liked to point out. Hana gaped at her straight forward was but remained quiet. She was busy studying Yura's facial expression, while Kai was busy studying Hana's.

 

"They start the dancing session so fast?" Kai raised an eyebrow and glanced at Yura. The girl nodded and beamed. He could see that she was a pleasant girl. Not too fussy, and not too y. But this type of cute, feminine girl just wasn't his type. Thinking about how to reject her offer, Kai turned to Hana.

 

"Do you want to dance with her?" Hana nudged him, her eyebrows furrowed together. Kai almost shook his head and mentally replied, No, I'd rather be here, gazing at you all night long. But he wasn't the cheesy type. Sure he could be flirty and playful, but to actually say it and mean it was... hard.

 

"I don't want to be a bother," Hana whispered and twirled the glass in her hand nervously, "You can go if you want to. I will just entertain myself."

 

"Lady Yura," Kai said, cutting her off suddenly, "My deepest apology, but I can't leave this gorgeous lady alone," His arms found the way to her waist and pulled her closer, "I owe her a night together."

 

Hana's eyes widened. What was this bull Kai was talking about? What about promise and gorgeous and what...?! She was confused now. Did she just hear him right? Kim Jongin, the notorious player had just rejected a lady's offer to dance together? She hissed at him silently, "What the hell are you talking about?"

 

Yura was shocked at first, but she quickly recovered and replied back, this time with a bitter tone, "Isn't she Lady Jung? Lord Jaejoong's fiancé?"

 

Hana wanted to slap her own face. And now. She had to deal with even more nonsense about her being Jaejoong's fiancé. Kai seemed at ease however and replied casually, "Yes, unfortunately my cousin is so very busy and ask me to entertain the Princess. Now if you'll excuse me..."

 

Kai pulled Hana with him and dragged her to the dance floor. A lot of people were staring and she was well aware of Jaejoong's jealous glare from the side. Confused, she turned to Kai, who secured his hand to her waist and gently placed her hands to his shoulder. "Relax and enjoy. And... well, try to make the ladies jealous, aye?"

 

Hana felt bad for Yura. She was nowhere to be seen. "Aren't you mean to the lady just now? She is pretty and nice."

 

"Yeah, I do regret it a little," Kai faked a sigh and pouted. Truthfully, he didn't even regret it one bit. Why would he when he could dance with Hana for a few minutes? The guilt was worth it. "But what can I say? She's not my type."

 

"Oh, and what's your type? Me?" Hana mockingly scoffed.

 

"Yes, you're my type," Kai grinned and winked at her. Hana bit the insides of her cheeks to prevent the redness from spreading, but damn, she was blushing furiously. "Girls like you are exactly my type. That's why I stay with you until now."

 

"You must be joking," Hana accusingly stared at him. Her grip loosened a little, but Kai pulled her closer and whispered in her ears, "Yes, I was joking. It was worth it, though. I like to see you blush."

 

Hana playfully hit his shoulder as a punishment and laughed silently. Kai leaned back and they stayed in that position for quite a while, dancing left and right, back and forth. Hana never knew how to dance, so she just followed Kai's direction, much like her previous dance with Jaejoong.

 

"You're hella awkward when you dance," Kai commented. He got hit again, hard. "I wonder how Jaejoong can stay so long dancing with you..."

 

"Shut up, Jongin, Jaejoong's much nicer than you. He only said nice things to me," Hana hissed, feeling a little bit protective over Jaejoong. She didn't want people to see Jaejoong as an evil, cruel guy. "And if you really hate to dance with me, then fine, let's stop."

 

"See? What did I say about PTS?" Kai pulled her back and teased. "Relax, I was half joking. You're not that bad. Maybe I should teach you how to dance as well..." Hana chuckled, "No, thank you. I won't want to burden you too much."

 

Kai was about to say something in return when he suddenly kept quiet. His lips pressed into thin line and his stare furiously pointed at a corner in the ballroom. Hana could suddenly hear another heartbeat, singled out from everyone in the room, much like Jaejoong's. She didn't need to turn around to know who it was.

 

An instinct reacted strongly to the presence and Hana froze. Taking a deep breath three times, so fast that she almost choked, she let go of Kai, who unwillingly pulled away as well. Turning around, her eyes immediately found him.

 

Him, chocolate eyes, pink lips, fair skin.

 

Him, cold, calm, collected, alone.

 

His aura was dangerous; murderous.

 

Him...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sehun...