Why Did I Fall in Love With You?

Song For You

A/N: CELEBRATION TIME! SONG FOR YOU HIT 200 FOLLOWERS and 10,000 views! Thank you so, so much, readers, for all your love and support. When I started writing, I wasn't sure anyone would be interested, so I'm very happy people are still subscribing and picking up this story even this story even though the Chapter count is so high. Thanks, guys!

 

 

WHY DID I FALL IN LOVE WITH YOU?

“Neither confirm or deny?” Jaejoong yelled into the phone, grabbing Yunho's wrist. “You're joking, right?”

 

“Ah, is that Jaejoong goon I hear?” Hyunsoo nim asked, sounding infuriatingly calm. “Are the other members listening as well?”

 

“We're here, hyungnim,” Yoochun answered. “And I'm with Jaejoong hyung on this one. Won't not answering make our fans bash Gaeun noona and interfere with our Japanese promotions?”

 

“That is indeed a risk we run.” Hyunsoo nim's voice now sounded more solemn. “However, as I said, there are other things to consider. Will you hear me out, at least?”

 

Jaejoong glared at the phone, but didn't say anything. Yunho simply looked baffled.

 

“Point one,” he began, taking their silence as leave to go ahead. “Our Gaeun wants to marry Hwang Younghyun. She has brought the matter before me, and has expressed her desire to marry him but yet continue on with her activities with the group. As CEO, I know that such a situation will not progress without some complications, but as someone who has known and worked with her for many years, I see no great reason to object, given her age and continued commitment to the group. But point two-- netizens have heard rumors of her desire for marriage, and do not approve because they believe it will interfere with Starkiss's activities. Their opinion is a hurdle our publicity team could get over as long as Gaeun's true intentions are well expressed, but it is a hurdle all the same. Were we to announce her engagement at the moment, the situation would not be as favorable as we would like, and some damage control would have to be done. When the latest picture of Yunho and Gaeun surfaced in the Dispatch, I did consider the benefits of such a rumor spreading in light of Gaeun's engagement news. If fans were against a relationship between the two of you, they would respond much more positively to hearing that Gaeun is in actuality dating a childhood friend and is in no way a threat to their love for Yunho or support of Yunjae or whatever situation they would prefer for him. Our point three of certain netizens having existing suspicions about a relationship between Yunho and Gaeun did tempt me, but I at first dismissed it because what proof exists is baseless. We cannot tease a relationship with only a sponsored leather jacket as speculation.”

 

“Then why...? You're moving forward with your original plan now that they have the pictures from the wedding?” Yunho asked.

 

“I wouldn't do that without consulting you or Gaeun first, of course. All of this simply leads up to point four, the conversation I had with Dispatch personnel this morning. Now, I will admit right off the bat that companies like ours have to make...arrangements... when dealing with tabloids, to keep press as good as possible. After the images were taken, Dispatch contacted us to let us know, and, as they are known to do, offered not to leak them if they were given access to other images or information related to Gaeun and Yunho's 'relationship'. Having none, I told them that they were the ones who should be careful, as C&M could sue them for trespassing on private property at a private event in violation of your privacy rights, and they fired back with another point I had to take into consideration. Apparently, some anonymous idols submitted a blind item that the Dispatch suggests is obviously about Yunho and Jaejoong. Some rookies have been snooping around you, and can report on excessive backstage skinship, leading conversations, and similar accusations indicating a serious romantic relationship. Should we cause trouble over the wedding photos, Dispatch would move ahead with the blind item instead. I've read it myself, and I won't deny that the two of you are the first to come mind when reading the descriptions, and that, if published, the story would cause reckless enthusiasm among certain fans of yours.”

 

Jaejoong and Yunho exchanged an alarmed glance. Again... again we're ruining things for ourselves...

 

“Frankly, the opinion of DBSK with the general public is stellar enough that I don't want to run the risk of publishing that blind item, don't you agree? So I dwelled on it. Dispatch wants a juicy story. We want to transition into Gaeun's engagement without negative press for herself and Younghyun goon. What if, I thought, we can use each other to fulfill both of our wishes? I brought Gaeun and Younghyun in and asked them what they thought about using the story with Yunho as a brief smokescreen. Younghyun of course had concerns about how opinions on Gaeun would turn if we did, but I informed him that fans of C&M would be much less likely to buy the story than the rest of the public. Starkiss fans, for one, have guessed that she's been in a relationship with a non-celebrity, and have respectfully kept their privacy. DBSK fans simply won't want to believe it, and will be convinced by the doubt of Starkiss fans. Yunjae fans have their own set of evidences, won't want to believe it, and will support their own theories, as well as the denials of Starkiss fans. Starkiss will not be promoting for several months, and Gaeun's individual activities are all print ads, so the few people who do believe in it won't be able to cause much damage. I suggested to Gaeun we let Dispatch go ahead with the story for the time being, then schedule a press conference following your return from Japan, announcing her engagement. After looking at the photos and blind item herself, she decided what she wanted to do most was take care of her engagement as well as Yunho and Jaejoong, and she accepted these arrangements.”

 

“Because of us...” Jaejoong said, his voice breaking. “Because of us, she'd subject herself to that?”

 

“I think she'd rather hear a few bad things about just herself then to hear bad things about both herself and Younghyun if her fans believe they are wrecking Starkiss with their engagement,” Hyunsoo nim said softly. “I got back in touch with Dispatch, and told them they could print the wedding photos without us suing, provided they didn't post the blind item. I also told them that there would later be evidence about Gaeun to refute their story, and that they could be privy to early teasers to it if they stuck to our arrangements. The tabloid doesn't care if counter-evidence comes out later, they just want their story and increased readership now.” He paused on the other line. “I'm sure you five need to be boarding soon, so if you have any further questions, you may call me back when you're free to use your phones. I understand that the situation may be upsetting to you, but rest assured it will not be long-lasting and that you will not be made to give any credence to the rumors yourself, Yunho, knowing them not to be true. I'm already keeping track of netizen response, and you'll see for yourself that it's close to what I predicted. And as for your Japanese fanbase...” He paused. “Strangely calm. According to Jongwoo goon, who translated for me, they supposedly have 'assurance' of their own that it isn't true. As long as that's the case, I suppose there won't be any trouble to your promotions.”

 

“Our rings,” Jaejoong mouthed to Yunho, who nodded.

 

“Okay,” Yunho said, finally. “We'll look at the article and reaction ourselves, and if I have anything further to say, I'll call. Since it's for Gaeun noona's sake, I won't confirm or deny either, but I'm not going to outright lie to anyone either, all right?”

 

“That's just fine. Safe travels, DBSK.”

 

Almost as soon as they hung up, boarding was called, and Yongsoo gathered them together to get on their plane. The moment phone access was allowed, Yoochun pulled the Dispatch article on the phone, and the five of them looked at it together. It was almost just as Hyunsoo nim had described: an obscured version of the scene Yunho and Jaejoong had watched of Gaeun and Younghyun dancing on the courtyard. Younghyun's face was turned closely towards Gaeun, hiding his profile, but still revealing the hair similar in style to Yunho's own. Gaeun's face was much more visible, and you could also see the YH cufflinks on the photographer’s zoom.

 

Were the rumors right, after all?, the text read. Leaders of Starkiss and DBSK Gaeun and Yunho have been under speculation for allegedly wearing couple items that were later revealed to be company sponsored brands, but this time, the evidence may actually be more telling. The two were spotted having a private dance at the wedding of C&M producer Stanley Shin and sister of DBSK vocalist Kim Jaejoong, Kim Dayoung. Though his face can't be seen, we think the hairstyle and cufflinks point directly at Jung Yunho as Gaeun's midnight dance partner. Were the two sneaking out for some special alone time at the crowded event? We got in touch with C&M president Sung Hyunsoo, who neither confirmed or denied the relationship outright, but made this intriguing statement: “As the nature of this report affects DBSK, and they are en route to Japan to release their second Japanese-language album, C&M is choosing not to make comments on this issue in their absence. Following their return, C&M will communicate with Yunho, and hold a press conference fully explaining the situation of our idols to fans to prevent any further confusion. Until then, please wait patiently.”

 

“Please wait patiently,” Junsu echoed. “I know fans, and fans aren't patient. Hyunsoo nim better be right about their reaction to this, or it's trouble for us. Jaejoong hyung, are you looking at Naver right now?”

 

Jaejoong nodded, reading the comments one by one:

 

[+1,400, -300] “Media play? How does this make sense-- sasaengs know they aren't seeing each other, unless they're just dating within the company. Why are all these rumors coming out of nowhere, with this being the only that even sounded remotely like it could be true?

 

[+125, -350] “Of course they're dating! C&M never denied their rumors like they did for Jaejoong oppa and Soorin unni, so if it was fake, they would have said something from the beginning. Which just confirms to me that the Jaerin rumors were all lies, and that's all I need :D”

 

[+900, -460] “I'm so sure Yunjae is real though... is this a cover?”

 

[+1,643, -10] “This contradicts the fandom's understanding that Gaeun has been dating a non-celebrity for years, so it's like a joke for real Starkiss fans. Gaeun-unni, why aren't you saying anything? What's going on?”

 

[+950, -60] “This is bull! First Gaeun wants to get married, and now she's dating Yunho oppa, who's only in his early twenties? One of the rumors is a lie, and it better be this one.”

 

[+360, -189] “I don't want to believe this is true. But if the announcement was just about Gaeun unni dating someone else, why would they wait until Yunho oppa's back from Japan? Wouldn't they just say it? I think they might be dating, guys.”

 

[+215, -400] “What kind of announcement could C&M have for this picture? They're practicing for a musical or something? We're not that stupid! I'm seriously crying right now!”

 

[+433, -70] “I'm a Japanese living in Korea, and let me tell you that the J-fanbase is not reacting to this at all. When I asked around to find out why, they said the evidence was locked in the Yunjae fan club. Wonder what it could be?”

 

[+1,775, -20] “Um, one of Jaejoong oppa's sisters posted a picture from the wedding on Instagram, and Yunho oppa is in the background. No cufflinks. This rumor makes me laugh. Guess it's true that Gaeun unni has a boyfriend, though!”

 

Changmin rolled his eyes. “Really, can't you guys get into a juicy scandal without involving Dami? Your scandals with Soorin and Gaeun are so boring.”

 

“If it makes you feel better, the fans outside of our fanbase and Starkiss's believe it,” Jaejoong said, scanning all the downvoted comments. “To the point where they're calling our fans delusional. Wonderful.”

 

“At least you didn't get that blind item posted about you,” Junsu said with a glare. “Or else we'd have committees trying to ban us right about now.”

 

“I know. I'm sorry,” Jaejoong said, right when Yunho said, “It's my fault.”

 

The other three members stared at them with mixed expressions. “Just... stick to doing everything you can to keep your secrets a secret, all right?” Junsu said.

 

“We're just worried for your sake,” Yoochun added.

 

“I don't care, as long as we can promote without anyone messing with us.” Changmin folded his arms across his chest. “By the way, hyung, if you aren't planning on lying about your relationship with Gaeun noona, what are you going to tell them if they ask about her? While we're in Japan?”

 

“I don't know. That they'll have to wait, just like everyone else?” He looked at Jaejoong, his lips sliding into a frown. “I really don't know.”

 

0o0

 

Whatever the case was, the BigEasts were taking it completely in stride. When Tohoshinki emerged from the airport, they were their usual rush of cheers and excitement, and their numbers had swelled even further from when they'd seen them last. It was hard to keep focus in the flurry of cameras and people shouting out their names, but he still noticed a group of girls in white shirts pointing to his hand where the couple ring they'd gotten him was still fit snugly around his ring finger. What had happened that morning had come as a blow to him, but he started to feel a little bit better. You know the truth. That person belongs to me. We'll do what we have to do to keep it that way, but don't lose faith in us, even when that involves us needing to hide the truth.

 

They made it back to their old dorm, which staff had restocked and cleaned out for their arrival. They turned to Yongsoo, waiting for their room assignments, but he simply shrugged. “You guys sleep where you want to, anyways, so just sleep wherever.” Changmin volunteered to take the room with Yongsoo, like he was accustomed to in the dorms, and Jaejoong naturally went with Yunho, and Yoochun with Junsu.

 

When they were safely in the room, Yunho slumped down on the bed after throwing his suitcase on the ground without making any movement to open it. Jaejoong set his own down and sat down on the bed next to Yunho. “Yun ah? Are you sure this is all okay with you?”

 

Yunho grimaced, but rubbed Jaejoong's thigh soothingly. “Not incredibly okay. Stuff like this... I'd really rather not play these kinds of games. But there are worse things in life, aren't there?”

 

“Like having people really suspect us through the blind item?”

 

He shook his head. “No. Like having them hate us for it just because they don't understand. And having Gaeun noona suffer needlessly. That's not good, either.” Yunho propped himself up. “After you told me about Dami blackmailing us, you said that you'd grown up expecting things like that to happen, and because you'd expected it for so long, you started thinking you deserved it. I didn't understand you back then, but I think I get it a little better. Not the thinking you deserve anything bad, but living with that fear that other people will take something precious away from you.”

 

“Is that how you feel now?” Jaejoong asked, his stomach sinking.

 

“Hmm? Maybe I am a little afraid.” Yunho reached up to trace his jaw. “That people will pull me away from you. Is that bad?”

 

“Only if it makes you sorry that I'm the one you fell in love with.”

 

“Why would I be sorry? Do you know why I fell in love with you?”

 

Jaejoong shook his head.

 

“Because you're you. How could I ever be sorry that it was you, when that's what I love about you?”

 

Jaejoong blinked. “Does... does that even make sense?”

 

“Put your brain to good use. It makes complete sense.” Yunho kissed his forehead and rolled off the bed. “Aish, I have a feeling I forgot to pack everything again...”

 

“I packed it for you.”

 

“Did you? My toothbrush?”

 

“Your toothbrush.” Jaejoong smiled down at him. “You know, I really don't worry so much anymore.”

 

“About what? Forgetting your toothbrush?”

 

“No. About deserving people to hate or look down on me because of who I am. Or about what people like Dami will do to try and destroy me. I just want to be happy, and happy together with you. If that's the way it is... I can look past having some people think you're with Gaeun noona right now. And as for the blind item... I can try harder to make sure that doesn't happen again. But I'm not going to back down from loving you.”

 

Yunho's eyes widened. “That's... nice to hear. Has Jaejoongie grown up a little?”

 

“Who are you talking down to? Your hyung?”

 

“No, no. My lover.”

 

Jaejoong scooted to the edge of the bed and dangled upside down over it, puckering his lips for Yunho to gently brush his against. Yunho didn't need much inviting, and abandoned his suitcase for a second time to oblige him. They'd been together for several years now, but the feeling still manage to rush through him as powerfully as it always had. Because he felt that way, it didn't matter if some people thought Yunho was with Gaeun, or thought he himself was with Soorin, or guessed they were together, or knew because of their rings that they were. The only truth was what he was feeling, and how Yunho responded to him. That was the only thing which defined them.

 

Jaejoong heard the door open, and the loud accompanying “EW” told him that it was Changmin. He broke away from Yunho just in time to see Changmin's glorious gag face.

 

“God, we're not here to start our own love hotel in Japan,” he said, sticking out his tongue. “Yongsoo hyung says to gather up your songs, we're heading to the studio.”

 

“Already? Don't we get to unpack?”

 

“Hyung said we can unpack when we're dead... or something like that. We have a packed variety and fan meet schedule from tomorrow on, and we need to go over things with our performance team before we start.”

 

“No midnight escape to the Rainbow Bridge this time, huh,” Yunho said regretfully.

 

“No midnight anything, unless it's on the schedule. And that includes midnight snack.” Changmin sighed. “Well, let's just hurry up and get a top single so they can calm down on making us promote ourselves until everyone gets sick of us.”

 

“Sick of us? Impossible.”

 

“You give yourself too much credit, hyung.”

 

“Why you little!” Yunho grabbed Changmin in a headlock, but Changmin used his superior height to upset Yunho's balance and knock him over.

 

“Grab your songs, hyung,” he said to Jaejoong, smirking. “We're on to round two.”

 

0o0

 

Though they were just as busy, round two felt much less draining. Their Japanese was much more proficient, the public knew them better, and they had a substantial catalog of Japanese songs to perform, as well as the new ones they were working on. Their first return single charted higher than every other track they'd released before in Japan. Their fan meets were bigger and more noisy. Ahjumma fans started cropping up and peppering them with gifts. They were invited to do shoots for magazine covers, and selected to be guests for interview shows of other Japanese idols. It should have felt more natural, given that it was the treatment they were used to in Korea, but it still felt oddly new to the five of them. Yongsoo explained to them over and over again that their press from the first round of promotions had been excellent (“Shuttling fans during a snowstorm! Impromptu concerts, and genuine self-promotions! Strong acapella, charismatic varieties-- you five were golden!”), but still the transition from nobodies to somebodies took awhile to get used to.

 

What amazed Jaejoong the most was that not a single interviewer asked Yunho about Gaeun. There were hints here and there, but nothing as blatant as Jaejoong had been expecting. When he asked one of their Japanese staff about it, he simply shrugged and said that if Yunho couldn't talk about it, it wasn't their place to bother him. “Besides,” he said with an innocent shrug, “it doesn't seem likes anyone believes it, anyways.”

 

Which wasn't exactly true. Jaejoong and the other members kept very close tabs on the domestic response to the 'scandal', and there was a camp of netizens who were very insistent that the rumors were true, and that C&M was only dawdling over it so that fans would be calmer about it by time they confessed to it. Anti-fans of both Starkiss and DBSK were also out in full force, planning their downfall and making up fake stories about Gaeun and Yunho which unfortunately increased doubt in some circles. It hurt Jaejoong to hear anyone say anything against Gaeun or Yunho, and he wanted to break his vow not to get involved whenever people tried to bash the Yunjae shippers for holding out hope, but he it up, telling himself it would all be over soon.

 

They were in the studio working on their new CD tracklist when Jaejoong's phone went off in the middle of recording. Their Japanese sound producer lifted an eyebrow in surprise, since Jaejoong was usually 100% focused during their sessions. “Gomen, gomen,” he said, bowing, but when he looked down at the screen, he froze. The number was Yunho's home phone line from Gwangju. His parents.

 

“Do you need to take it?” the producer asked.

 

“For just a moment. I'm really sorry.”

 

“Just this once, all right?”

 

Jaejoong took the call, holding his breath.

 

“Jaejoong goon?” Yunho's mother answered. “Is Yunho with you now?”

 

“Yunho? He's in the other room. Did you mean to call me?”

 

“Only because he hasn't been answering his phone, so I thought you could help me get ahold of him. You're busy, I suppose?”

 

“Yes, we're recording right now, but Yunho's on break. If you call him, he should be able to answer.”

 

“Odd. I just called him a few minutes ago, and I've left several messages for him since you've arrived in Japan. Either he's ignoring me, or something's wrong with his phone.”

 

Jaejoong didn't know how to respond, knowing nothing was wrong with Yunho's phone, so he didn't say anything.

 

“Perhaps this is guilt for lying to his umma about his girlfriend.”

 

“Girlfriend?” Jaejoong repeated blankly.

 

“You know, Gaeun-ssi. He had me convinced that they didn't see each other, but it seems he was playing umma for a fool. All his relatives are wondering about the lucky girl, but I can't tell him anything if he doesn't answer my calls.”

 

“Ah, that, it's--”

 

All of a sudden, Jaejoong's cell phone was snatched from his hands. “My mother?” Yunho asked flatly, looking at the screen. Jaejoong nodded, surprised by the dark look on Yunho's face. Are they fighting? Is something wrong?

 

“Don't bother Jaejoong ah,” Yunho said, pressing the phone against his ear. “His phone went off in the middle of recording because you called. Do you want us to get scolded? If I want to call, I'll call.”

 

“Yunho,” Jaejoong whispered. “It's okay, really.”

 

Yunho shook his head, and stalked off into the other room with Jaejoong's phone. Seriously, what's going on?, he wondered. Yunho and his mother were completely fine when they left Gwangju-- what had happened since then? He suddenly had the horrible thought that Yunho was being so combative because he was worried his mother was making Jaejoong feel badly about Gaeun. He didn't want to be a source of tension, but he was sure Yunho knew anything regarding Gaeun wouldn't bother him-- they'd already sorted that out on their own.

 

He must just be stressed about having to clear up the rumors to his family, Jaejoong thought. This situation came upon him without warning... of course parts of it must be making him unhappy...

 

Still, he returned to recording with an unsettled feeling. Everything was all right because they were happy, but was Yunho not anymore? Was something going on beneath the surface to take that away from him, or was he just worrying over nothing? He didn't know. But if something's wrong, he'll tell me, Jaejoong told himself firmly. This isn't like last time. If he needs me, I'll be there for him without holding back anything anymore.

 

 

 

 

Why didn't I take your hand? 
No matter how much time passes 
You should be at my side forever