Keep Your Head Down

Song For You

A/N: Is today the day I finally stop torturing all of you? Well, the good news is that I'm infuriated over the SNSD situation with SM, so you get a nice long angry chapter today! (Happy for Jaejoong on his drama award, though!)(Also, I'm working on a special Yunjae blog posting, so stay tuned for more info on that later) Enjoy!

 

KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN

Jaejoong watched as the crew got the stage ready for them from the waiting area backstage. He'd had so much on his mind recently that he hadn't been able to get too excited about their new promotions, but now it was coming back to him, all the adrenaline that came with being able to stand on stage. Their music video had been released a few hours ago, and the response for the single had already been huge. Their pre-order figures for their album had skyrocketed, and the results had also been reflected in their fan cafe, which had so many views the hour the Rising Sun video came out that the site crashed. He was proud of how well they were doing, and he wanted to see their fans again and thank them personally. From the back monitors, he could already see the sizable ocean of red lightsticks out in the audience and see their video playing on the screens of the fans' mobile phones. They'd all been waiting in line to be let into the venue when the video had come out, but they'd been glued to their phones ever since, watching it over and over again.

 

Yunho came to stand a little bit behind Jaejoong, not touching him or reaching out as he normally would, but leaning into him just slightly. “You're still feeling okay?” he asked.

 

“I'm fine,” Jaejoong whispered back. “Better, since I talked to you.” The nagging in his head was steadily dying down, and provided he rested well when the day was over, he was sure he would feel better before the bulk of their promotions began.

 

“Just be careful out there. You were great in practice today, so give it your best.”

 

“I will.” He turned his head just slightly. “All of our fans have been rooting so hard for us. I won't let them down.” He turned back to the monitor, watching them pass their phones around as staff continued to build their stage. “I wish we didn't have to burden them when the news about what's been going on with Dami-ssi breaks eventually.”

 

“It will be worse for her then us.”

 

“But it will involve us all the same. They'll be getting fired up because of something we did.” He gazed down at their faces sadly. “I'm happy at how much they want to protect us sometimes. But other times, I wish they didn't have to worry about us so much and would just live their lives happily.”

 

“That's the price we knew were paying from the beginning. We'll just have to keep trying to protect ourselves and them better so this doesn't happen again.” He smiled wryly. “As for you, you should probably avoid going out with Soorin noona in public ever again, for her own sake.”

 

“I don't mind. We can be friends within the company just fine. It was you that I didn't want to be apart from anymore.”

 

“Then let's just solve this quickly so we don't have to be.”

 

When the crew was finally finished and the MCs had given their brief audience talk, DBSK and their dancers were finally called to the stage. They'd been doing rehearsals for so long now that it had been awhile since they'd gotten to stand in front of an actual audience. Jaejoong reveled in their cheers and the bright glow of their lightsticks, and even though they were so loud that he almost missed his cue that the music was starting, he didn't mind in the slightest. Their enthusiasm was part of what made the track so good, and he wanted them to take part in it as much as they wanted.

 

Still, the dance was as demanding as ever, and he focused as much as he could on landing all of his moves on time. He'd never been as good at it as Yunho and Junsu, but he could feel himself getting into the beat and performing with even more strength than he'd been able to manage in practice. Sweat beaded on his forehead, but he gave everything to the people watching and cheering his name as they hit the chorus.

 

But as he stared out into the crowd, there was suddenly a blinding beam of light from the center of the group of fans closest to the stage, aimed right where he and Yoochun were dancing. He was used to the flash of lightsticks, but this was no group sponsored light. It was as bright and piercing as a car's high beams, and worse, it was aiming right at their eye-level. Black spots burst in front of his eyes, and he jerked his head away from it instinctively, which threw him off his next step completely. He stumbled hard and Changmin collided with him, which upset his balance even further. He tried to catch himself before he faceplanted on the stage completely, and his hands slammed hard into the ground, the palms scrapping against the floor and throbbing at the impact. He still couldn't see properly, but he could hear the audience screaming in shock. Someone was grabbing him by the shoulders and trying to haul him up, and after awhile, the music playing on the speakers was cut.

 

“Hyung, hyung, are you all right?” Changmin's voice came next to his ear. He was the one holding him, then. Jaejoong blinked furiously, trying to dispel the flashing black spots from the bright lights. When his vision finally cleared, he could see that Yoochun had also been knocked down, and that Junsu, Yunho, and some of their dancers were in the process of helping him to his feet. Jaejoong looked down at his hands. The left, which he'd scrapped the most, was beginning to bleed, but the other had just turned bright red from the force with which he'd slammed it down.

 

Security was already crawling through the audience. “Who had the high beam light?” one of the guards called out. “Somebody grab her!”

 

“She was right here!” someone close to the stage wailed. “She was wearing a white face mask. She was right behind me, but I don't see her anymore!”

 

“Oppa! Yoochun oppa! Jaejoong oppa!” others were screaming.

 

Jaejoong tried rotating his wrist. It hurt, but he didn't think it was broken. He was more worried about Yoochun, whose whole body seemed to have hit the floor, but Changmin was holding onto him tightly, and he couldn't move forward.

 

“A fan did that?” he asked faintly.

 

“Anti-fan, I'm sure,” Changmin said furiously. “God, you're bleeding.”

 

“But Yoochun ah-”

 

The MCs quickly stepped up onstage. “Take the injured members backstage for first-aid. Security will get whoever did this.”

 

Changmin hooked his arms around Jaejoong's shoulders and helped him down stage. “I can walk just fine,” Jaejoong protested. He hadn't twisted his ankles when he fell, so if anything was wrong, it would be with his wrist.

 

“Just-- it's better to be careful.” Changmin led him back to the dressing rooms, the other members hobbling behind them with Yoochun in tow. All the performers scheduled to go after them were calling out, asking if they were all right, but they kept moving on single-mindedly towards where they could be taken care of.

 

There were already staff in their rooms when they arrived, ready with first aid kits. Jaejoong was quickly settled into a chair and given disinfectant and wraps for his left hand, while his wrists were pressed from every angle to check for a break. It hurt, but not so badly to where it was likely anything was seriously wrong.

 

“Is Yoochun ah okay?” he asked. He could still barely process the situation. One second they'd been doing their routine perfectly, and in another, everything had gone to hell. What if Yoochun had broken something? They had so many stages after this, and even their first concert. Had a cruel action by an anti-fan really jeopardized that so easily?

 

“He should be,” one of the staff said soothingly. “We were watching on the monitor. He broke his fall with his knees, so they should be scrapped about the same extent as your hands. But we called in an emergency team to have a look, just in case. He got the worst of the high beam light, so his impact was more immediate and harder than yours.”

 

Jaejoong nodded, a lump forming in his throat. Who would try to hurt Yoochun ah? Why is this happening?

 

Yunho stopped in front of his chair. “Are your wrists OK?” he asked desperately. “I wasn't looking out in the audience when it was happening, so I only saw the light from the corner of my eye. Was it really from a fan, or did a stage light malfunction?”

 

“It was fan,” Jaejoong said. “Anti-fan, or whatever. But I'm okay. Please go look after Yoochun ah. I'll be okay.”

 

Yunho gave him a drowned look. “They better catch whoever did this. You both could have broken something, or damaged your vision... whoever did this...”

 

Jaejoong shook his head. “Don't think about it now. I'm fine.”

 

“I didn't even realize you'd fallen at first... Changmin ah... I'm so glad Changmin ah was there to help you.”

 

“Please don't think about it,” Jaejoong said again, wincing at Yunho's look of guilt.

 

The emergency team finally showed up, and Yunho went back to Yoochun to help him into the wheelchair they'd brought to help move him. Personnel also stopped to check on Jaejoong's wrists, but they were cleared as being spared from a break, though they suggested he wear a splint if they were feeling sprained over the next few days.

 

Jaejoong was just about to get up and join the others in the room Yoochun had been moved to, but was stopped by one of the staff. “Your sister has come backstage to check on you,” she informed him. “Can I let her in?”

 

“Sister?” Jaejoong said blankly. None of them had been able to make this particular stage, unless there had been a change of plans out of nowhere.

 

“Kim Dayoung? She had the special wristband for guests of performers.”

 

But noona should be at work right now... He shrugged. Maybe she had been able to get off after all. But why hadn't she texted? And how had she gotten the band for guests when Jaejoong hadn't approved her?

 

“Let her in,” he said.

 

The staff pulled open the door, and a woman wearing a beanie and big read scarf partially obscuring her face stepped in. She was about a head shorter than Dayoung. Jaejoong was about to protest, but the staff had already stepped out, shutting the door behind her.

 

The woman pulled off her scarf. Jaejoong in her breath. Sung Dami's smiling face was looking back at him with a degree of triumph.

 

“Do I have you to thank for this?” he asked, massaging his wrist.

 

“A friend,” she said innocently. “Really, it's something, isn't it? You casually mention an annoying little pest you want to get rid of, and clingers-on are falling all over themselves to be of use. I certainly didn't ask for this to happen. Nor did I want anyone's wrist to get bumped and misdirect the worst of the light to poor Yoochun ah. I rather like him, and I hope his injury was not too severe.”

 

“Why did you do that?” Jaejoong asked, holding in all of the fury clawing at his heart. They'd already decided how they were going to handle her. He had a role to play, and he couldn't step out of it now.

 

“It's a slight punishment. You broke my terms a few times, and I wanted to make sure you didn't think you would get a free pass. Perhaps a few hugs and that car trip alone with him last night aren't bad enough to warrant leaking your photos, but they aren't excusable either.” She smiled serenely. “Limiting your role in your promotions would have been preferable, but I'm sure having your teammate hurt because of you is warning enough.”

 

“Warning?” Jaejoong echoed, his anger growing almost too much to withhold. “He could have broken a limb, and that's a warning to you? Well, here's news for you to justify you doing that: I did break your terms more than just a little. I told Yunho about how I felt. About him.”

 

She stared at him, her happy expression freezing. “You little . Do you not understand the position you are in, or do you need me to impress it upon you? I'll be more than happy to post those pictures of you and Soorin to the Dispatch tonight, if you're such a glutton for punishment.”

 

“I don't care,” Jaejoong snapped. “What happens to me doesn't matter anymore. I told him, but do you know what happened? He hit me. He said just the thought of me thinking about him like that disgusted him, and that if it wasn't for DBSK's sake, he'd never see me again. Didn't you see how he reacted when I fell? He only cared about Yoochun ah. Because knowing the truth about me makes him sick.” He urged tears to his eyes, and they came easier than he thought. He was upset, after all. For Yoochun's sake, and for all of them if this was her idea of just compensation.

 

Her delighted smile returned. “I could have told you as much. Poor baby.”

 

“And do you know what else he said?” Jaejoong continued, now letting his tears fall freely. “That I was kidding myself for ever thinking he'd be interested in me in the slightest. That everything was for fanservice from the beginning and you... and you were the one he always liked. Ever since Winter Lily, he's admired and wanted to meet you. So your evidence and everything you have against me is pointless. You've already won.”

 

Dami's eyes widened. “He said that? He said that to you?”

 

“Do you think I'd say that if it wasn't true? Me of all people?” He turned his face away sharply. “I loved him. More than you ever will, even though he hates me now. So I don't care about your stupid evidence anymore. I'm suffering enough just knowing I'll never be good enough for him. So just take what's yours and leave me alone.”

 

She started laughing, a deep and ecstatic belly laugh. “Oh, you poor, poor dear. I was seeing you as a rival all this time for nothing? You couldn't even manage to dent his heart a little that pretty face of yours?” She leaned forward and his cheek. “I almost feel sorry for you, but surely you knew this was the way it had to be? You never really had a chance to begin with. You're nothing.”

 

He stared back at her, everything he really felt down for now. “I know,” he said, looking her square in the eye. “Just... leave me alone.”

 

“Happily.” She grabbed his hand and pressed her fingers into his bruised skin. “You have some wounds to , after all. As for your pictures with Soorin... you don't mind if I hold onto them for insurance, do you? I can't have someone pitiful like you causing unnecessary bother to my new boyfriend, after all.”

 

He simply looked at her, using his tearful eyes to mask his fury. Any part of him that felt sympathy for how badly she would be eviscerated by their fans when her schemes were discovered quickly evaporated. She let go of his hands, still smiling, and wrapped the scarf back around her face before leaving the room. I'll make you hurt, he vowed, watching her retreating back. Ten times more than you've ever done to me.

 

The bandages around his hands had come loose when she'd bothered them, so he rewrapped them to cover the violently red skin of his palms. The door cracked open and Yunho peeked in. “Who was that?” he asked, nodding outside. “One of your sisters?”

 

“Did she see you?” Jaejoong asked urgently.

 

“No, she didn't.”

 

“Good. That was Sung Dami. Who now thinks you're in love with her, by the way.”

 

Yunho froze. “What did she want with you?”

 

“To confess to her crimes. The person who did this to us was one of hers.”

 

Yunho in his breath. “Jae... I really can't do this. The longer we go without telling someone, the more chances she'll have to do something like this again. And having to act in love with her... after she does this to you...” He took the bandages from Jaejoong's hands, and pressed his lips against his palms. “I know you want to protect Soorin, but even more than that, I want to protect you.”

 

“I know,” Jaejoong said. “That's why we're not waiting. You'll call her tonight. I already confessed on your behalf, so there's nothing more for you to do but convince her to give you the pictures. We'll turn over the recording and end this before anyone else gets hurt. I can also call noona and see if she was able to get anything from Minjun-ssi, but even if she couldn't, we'll just go with what we have and hope it's enough.”

 

Yunho bit his lips, but eventually nodded. “If you're sure, I'll trust you.”

 

“Did Yoochun wind up being okay?”

 

“He's all right. He'll probably have some pretty bad bruises, but he didn't break anything. He wants to finish the stage, too.”

 

“Eh?”

 

“All of our fans are still out there, and they want to know we're all right. Yoochun wants us to face them ourselves, so they see we're still fighting.” Yunho shrugged. “I'd prefer it if you didn't extend yourself, but it's up to you.”

 

“No, I want to go, too!” Jaejoong said, leaping to his feet. “I mean, this stage is important for our sales, but I want them to see us and know that nothing's going to set us back. I can still dance.”

 

“I'm not so sure about Yoochun ah, but we'll see. As soon as this is over, he at least needs to rest.” Yunho made a face. “I suppose this will be a nice little FU to Dami, too. I swear to god, if either of you had broken anything, I'd kill her personally.”

 

“Good that she didn't. We're trying to avoid a member scandal here.”

 

The two of them went back to pick up the other three members. Yoochun looked a little rattled, but was otherwise adamant about finishing their performance. Jaejoong had assumed that Yongsoo manager would also want them to continue for the sake of their promotions, but he actually fought them a little on it, insisting that their single was selling so well that they could afford to miss one performance given the situation, but with all five members demanding to perform again, he let the matter go.

 

Yongsoo went to inform the hosts of their decision, and they were finally called back onstage after the very last performer. The audience went wild when they saw them, and everyone started screaming out for Jaejoong and Yoochun, even the people without red lightsticks. They raised their hands to wave and let everyone know they were okay, and the cheering only grew louder and more frenzied. Once again, Jaejoong could barely hear when the music started, and the cheering didn't quiet down this time. Everyone was screaming their names and waving their lights as if their lives depended on it. Tears collected in Jaejoong's eyes, but he kept on dancing. There was nothing Dami could do that was more powerful than this. He wanted to stop for a moment and scream back an endless 'thank you' for them, but he showed his heart in his performance instead. As long as they were there, nothing could bring them down.

 

The cheers lasted long after their performance was over and they left the stage. Yoochun, of course, was sobbing, and the other members just focused on holding him up on his weakened legs.

 

Jaejoong checked his phone when he was back in the dressing room. Soorin had texted him several times. Changmin ah called to tell me what happened. Thought I would want to know. Got in touch with Minjun-ssi right away, says he has several CCTV recordings of Dami hanging around his apartment. Only one where you can see her face clearly, but sounds like evidence all the same.

 

Minjun-ssi is meeting me at C&M with the tapes. Come as soon as you can, and we can see about talking about this with Hyunsoo nim. Hope you and Yoochun ah are all right.

 

Jaejoong looked up from his phone. “Guys, we need to go back to C&M. Soorin noona and Minjun-ssi are coming with evidence of Dami-ssi stalking him. We're turning her in tonight.”

 

“What about Soorin noona's pictures?” Changmin asked.

 

“Yunho and I will take care of that. First, we need to get everything together.” He glanced over at Yoochun. “You should probably rest. We can take care of this.”

 

Yoochun grimaced. “Not a chance, hyung. I'm not letting her get away with pulling a stunt like she did today. I'm helping.”

 

Right when they were leaving the building, staff from Mnet stopped them with a young girl dressed all in black in tow. “We had everyone searched on the way out, and we found the one responsible for that prank. She's going in for questioning, and we'll be calling up C&M to see if they want to press charges. Do you have anything to add, as the injured party?”

 

Jaejoong looked at the girl. She couldn't have been more than seventeen years old, and was shaking like a leaf. That didn't excuse her, but she was just a dupe in this, like so many others. If anything, she was yet another piece they needed to bring Dami down.

 

“We won't press charges against you,” Jaejoong said, “on the condition that you tell the police the truth about why you did this when you're being questioned.”

 

The girl looked up like a deer in headlights, but finally nodded.

 

That's three strikes against you, Sung Dami. Time to take you out.

 

0o0

 

Soorin and Minjun were waiting for them as promised at the company. They didn't have much time, but they still exchanged quick introductions with Minjun, who none of them had met yet, though he was still fairly familiar from all Saehee had told them about him.

 

“I'm sorry I couldn't catch her properly years ago,” Minjun said regretfully. “She was a senior actress compared to me, and I didn't think only one CCTV that showed her face was enough to do anything. Everyone would just say she was coming to visit me because we were co-workers, but I know it was more than that. And now to hear she's been stalking my girlfriend and her groupmates, and even you...” He bowed his head. “I'm sorry.”

 

“You're helping now,” Jaejoong said quickly. “And we have the evidence to back it up this time.” He handed over the recording of Dami with the part where he confessed his feeling for Yunho edited out. “One of her accomplices should also be confessing to her involvement in the incident tonight, so that should be enough to get her. Just get all of this to Hyunsoo nim right away, and let him know that we have to move ahead with this.”

 

“You're not going to be there when we give this to him, Jaejoong ah?” Soorin asked.

 

“No. There's one more thing Yunho and I have to do. In fact--” He scribbled down the address where Yunho had arranged to meet Dami. “When you tell the authorities, this is where you can find her. Text me as soon as you know they're coming, and we'll take care of the rest.”

 

“Take care of yourself,” Soorin said, patting him on the back. “Do a good job for everyone. We believe in you.”

 

"Can't you let me come, too?" Changmin insisted. "Why do you and hyung get to have all the fun."

 

"Because the two of us are going stomp on her heart well enough to you justice. If there's any leftover destruction work to do, we'll definitely call you in, okay?"

 

"Fine. Make her pay, hyung."

 

Jaejoong went back out to the lot where Yunho was waiting. “Ready for some acting?”

 

“Ready as I'll ever be,” Yunho said, sighing. “Ready to end this, more than anything. Honestly, I'm pissed off to the point where her career being ruined and her potentially being arrested doesn't even seem like enough.”

 

“We could throw in a few rounds of reconciliation ?”

 

“A few rounds? More like a few days.”

 

“Do you want me to die?”

 

“No. But I want you. I don't even remember anymore the last time you let me kiss you.”

 

“Tonight,” Jaejoong whispered. “It'll be tonight. Just be patient.”

 

They walked the rest of the way to their meeting place in silence, finally slowing when they came close to the park where the two of them were meeting and they could see Dami's silhouette on a park bench, waiting.

 

“Okay,” Yunho whispered. “Here we go.” He grabbed Jaejoong's arm roughly and jerked him forward. “Why the hell are you still following me?” he yelled loudly. “What do you want?”

 

“You can't just go around meeting her like this!” Jaejoong yelled back. “Do you want to get caught?”

 

“Does it look like anyone else is here? You just couldn't let me go because you're jealous. Well guess what? I'm not changing my mind about you, so you can just go back home!”

 

Dami rose to her feet. “Oh, dear, now isn't this unfortunate?” she asked in her controlled, actress-y voice. “Jaejoong ah, I thought we already talked about this.”

 

“I said I'd step aside,” Jaejoong said grabbing hold of Yunho's arm. “But this is still reckless. Our fans are all worried about us, and to do this so soon-”

 

“Just say what you want to say,” Yunho said, pushing him away. “You don't want me to be happy, do you? You're thinking that if you can't have me, no one else should.”

 

“No, that's not-” Jaejoong looked at Dami, forcing more tears to his eyes. “How can you still choose her over me?” he wailed. “I told you... I told you what she did...”

 

“What did he tell you?” Dami asked sharply.

 

“Oh, just something incredibly petty,” Yunho said dismissively. “That you had taken pictures of Soorin noona and him and were blackmailing him over them. It doesn't matter to me. I'd prefer him to date noona than whatever ridiculous ideas he has about me. It's stupid.” He hesitated for a moment, then reached out to grab Dami's hands. “But now that I think of it, it would be difficult for us if those got out. Starkiss is our sister group, and bad press for them effects DBSK. If there are problems for Soorin, it could wind up causing problem for our tour and when we start promoting in Japan. I'd hate for that to happen. And more speculation about our love lives might lead them to find out...”

 

“Find out what?” Dami asked, her eyes glittering.

 

“About how I feel about you.”

 

“And how is that?”

 

“I can't stop thinking about you. I mean, I was a fan from the very first moment I saw Winter Lily, and after that, I kept asking my aunt to take me over and over again. But then... meeting you in person... it was honestly like a dream come true. You were so funny and interesting, and when everyone said you might be interested in me, I could barely believe it. I felt so lucky... you even paid attention to my acting, even though I'm not at a level where I can do it professionally yet...” Yunho's voice fell. “I really like you, Dami-ssi. But I can't date right now. I'm an idol, and my fans wouldn't accept it. I don't want my feelings for you to be a burden on you. If being together with me would hurt your career, that's something I absolutely cannot do.”

 

Dami looked genuinely moved by his earnestness. “We could hide it. I have a lot of contacts in the industry, people who could help us keep it a secret. I don't care about my career as much as I want to be with you.”

 

“Do you mean it? You would really put yourself at risk for me?”

 

“I would do anything for you,” Dami whispered, lacing their fingers together. "All I wanted was the be with you, but he-" She looked over at Jaejoong, scowling. "He tried to keep you from me. As if someone as great as you could think seriously about someone like him. I'm sure he's said all sorts of horrible things about me to you, but still you've thought of me..."

 

Yunho frowned for a moment, but quickly hid it. "Forget about Jaejoong ah. I feel nothing like this for him."

 

"So you don't love him?"

 

"Don't you believe me? You don't trust in the feelings I have for you?"

 

"I trust you. But I want it to be clear to everyone here who you're in love with. Kiss me.”

 

Yunho finally looked fully taken aback. “Here?”

 

“Why not? There's no one watching. Other than your pitiful groupmate, but who cares if he sees? He should figure out who you belong to.” She wound her arm around her neck and began pulling him closer.

 

Jaejoong's phone buzzed in his pocket. He grabbed it quickly and switched the screen on. Hyunsoo nim has contacted the police and Dispatch, Soorin had texted him. Used connections to expedite process since what happened today resulted in injuries to you and Yoochun ah. Police want to arrive on scene before Dispatch can interfere, so expect them soon.

 

“Yunho!” he called out. Yunho glanced over his shoulder, and Jaejoong nodded towards his phone. “Don't do this,” he said out loud.

 

"Ignore him," Dami said shrilly. "You love me. ME! He doesn't get to have a say in this anymore."

 

Yunho looked back at Dami. “Dami-ssi... I want to kiss you so much right now. But in public... in public it's no good. You were able to get photos of Soorin and Jaejoong ah without them knowing, after all. We can't be too careful.” He pulled away. “Those photos... do you have them? The papers really can't see them. It'll effect me, too, and it will make things difficult if people find out about us, too. Two of us can't have dating scandals. I'm the leader... if it falls on anyone's shoulders, it should be mine.”

 

“How noble,” Dami said, his face. “You don't have to do this for him. You know what he is. You should let him suffer for it.”

 

Yunho's face tensed. “We're in a group together. That's not the way it works. And why would you need to blackmail him anymore?” He ran his fingers through her hair. “You have me already, jagiya.”

 

Her face lit up at those words, and she slowly reached into her purse to pull out her camera. She scrolled through the screen and one by one erased the pictures she had of Jaejoong and Soorin. When she stopped, Yunho placed his hand over hers and kept on clicking. There were even more pictures: shots of Jaejoong going in and out of C&M, pictures of Yunho outside of their dorm, and even various images of Yoochun, Junsu, and Changmin, as well as the four Starkiss members and Minjun-ssi.

 

“Really, do you need all these?” Yunho asked, trying to sound light hearted.

 

“I'm a DBSK fan,” she said, flushing. “Does this upset you?”

 

“I'm... flattered,” Yunho said, sounding strained. “But never mind that. Jaejoong ah said you had physical copies of the pictures of him and Soorin...?”

 

“Oh. Those.” She pulled them out and placed them in his hands. Yunho promptly tore them into shreds and scattered them in the wind.

 

“Is that all, Jaejoong ah?” he asked turning to Jaejoong.

 

“Should be.”

 

“Good. I can end this now.” He turned to Dami. “I feel like there's a lot to say right now. Honestly, if anyone should be tearing you apart right now, it should be me, whose name you've been using to hurt the person I love the most, but I promised Jae the right to finish you up. Consider yourself fortunate. He can be ruthless, but I would do to you a thousand times worse for daring to hurt him.”

 

“Yunho ah, what are you saying, you-” Dami froze, turning her eyes to Jaejoong. “You!”

 

“Yes,” he said. “Me.”

 

Her face was furious, but little by little everything began to register with her, and she looked at Yunho with a look of pure agony. “Are you serious? Do you know everything I have against you?”

 

“I don't know, but do you? Do you have pictures of me with Soorin noona? Do you have the recording you were too idiotic to get from your own contact? Do you have anything else but accusations you have no foundation for?”

 

She looked back and forth between Yunho and Jaejoong. “I know... I know what you are. I could destroy you!”

 

“A good percentage of our fangirls know what we are, too. We haven't been destroyed yet.” He leaned in. “Dami-ssi, do you know everything I have against you? Your contact gave me the recording of you admitting to stalking DBSK and Starkiss. Minjun-ssi gave me CCTV footage of you hanging around his apartment. That friend of yours who pulled that stunt on me and Yoochun ah? She turned you in. And Yunho ah? You never had him for a single moment. That love of mine that you think is so twisted and sick? He accepted it years ago. So even though I know better than anyone that it's half of what I'm capable of showing sometimes and half of what he really deserves, I know I have to better myself and make sure I don't hold back from him anymore. And when it comes to him, I would never cheat or hurt the people he cares about just to reach his heart. I understand that I can't give him a family and that he may never be able to be open about me with his friends or family, but if I love him as much as I feel for him in my heart, I will give him so much more than that so that he will never come to regret choosing me. If you think that's nothing, you should take a good long look in the mirror and think about everything you have that's so much better.”

 

“You think all these precious feelings of yours will save you in the end?” Dami shrieked, grabbing his shoulders. “Wake up! The world is on my side! You two will always be freaks no matter how you go about it! You think people will be all right with it when they know the truth about you? You're kidding yourself. They'll turn on you just as quickly! Then I'll be on top when they hear I knew the truth all along!”

 

“Sorry, but the top is the last place you're going. Do you honestly think our fans will tolerate you stalking us and hiring people to sabotage our stages? Do you remember how much Minjun-ssi fans hated Saehee? Can you imagine how much worse it will be for you when they find out that you stalked him and handed him over to the tabloids? You're through, Sung Dami. I usually feel sorry about how netizens rip people apart for the simplest things, but I'm not going to waste a second of my life feeling sympathy for you.”

 

“And get your ing hands off my boyfriend,” Yunho said, grabbing her hands and yanking them off Jaejoong's shoulders. “Touch him again, and I'll-”

 

“Hey, hey, break it up!” A flashlight beam fell on them, and two officers stepped up to them. “Sung Dami-ssi?”

 

“Sorry, but I'm not in the mood to give autographs tonight,” she said, grabbing her purse. “I'll leave these idiots alone. Goodnight, officers.”

 

One of the officers placed a hand on her shoulder. “Stay right where you are, miss. We have a warrant to bring you in for questioning on several counts of invasion of privacy, sabotage, stalking, harassment, and trespassing on private property. You'll be coming with us.”

 

“W-what?” She blanched. “I'm afraid you have the wrong person.”

 

“Right, so you're a Sung Dami impersonator who isn't the mood for autographs tonight. Let's see some ID.”

 

“All right, all right, I'm Dami,” she said quickly. “But, sirs, you know these charges are ridiculous... you know of me, don't you? I would never...”

 

“Miss, the Dispatch is en route right now.” one of the officers said impatiently. “If you want to use that spiel, we can wait a few minutes so they can get your name up on their websites within the hour with all the charges filed against you with it. Now which option would you prefer?”

 

She bit her lip, her eyes darting around as if she was considering the possibility of running, even though she was wearing high heels and a tight skirt in anticipation of seeing Yunho. The officers followed her gaze and shook their heads. “Think again, Dami-ssi. Make this easy on yourself.”

 

“Fine,” she yelled. “Take me in! I will be calling my lawyer at the earliest availability!”

 

“You're free to do that, miss.” One of the officers ushered her towards the squad car. The other looked at Yunho and Jaejoong. “I'd make yourself scarce before the tabloid your boss called gets here. I understand that was a ploy to keep Dami-ssi passive, but they're on their way nonetheless. I'd also recommend you two start preparing statements about the charges you'll be bringing against her. She doesn't seem like the type to settle, so she'll most likely be prosecuted. Keep that in mind.”

 

“Great, a legal battle,” Yunho sighed. “I'd hoped we'd seen the last of her.”

 

“It was never going to be that easy,” Jaejoong said. “But still-- this is much better than where we were.”

 

“Agreed.”

 

Dami whirled around as the officer tried to nudge her into the car. “I'll make you pay for this, Kim Jaejoong!”

 

“Good luck with that!” he called back. She scowled back at him, but the officer finally got her into the car and drove off.

 

“Let's go home,” Yunho said tiredly. “This was a long day. I think I need to sleep for a few years before I feel OK again.”

 

“Didn't I promise you a kiss for when we get back?”

 

“Better make that kisses. A whole lot of them. With tongue and stripping.”

 

“Uh... the other members will be back.”

 

“You think I care?” He looked down at Jaejoong's bandaged hands. “How are they feeling?”

 

“They feel covered in bandages and not much else.”

 

“Would it hurt if I held them?”

 

“I think it might hurt more if you don't.”

 

Yunho took his hand and laced their fingers together. “Jae?”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Let's absolutely never ever do this again.”

 

“Was I the one who had a stalker fall in love with me?”

 

“No, but the odds are better that it'll happen to you next rather than happen to me twice in a row, I think.” He squeezed his hand. They could hear the Dispatch's van rumbling at a distance, and ran to get out of sight. “Let's just say that no matter how many crazies fall in love with either of us, we'll always choose each other no matter what happens, so there's no point in getting jealous or stupid. Unless Kangta sunbae falls in love with you, because then I will legitimately have problems.”

 

Jaejoong laughed. “All right. And Yunho?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“I love you. No one is ever going to shake that in the slightest again.”

 

“Good. Now that's settled, let's go and have those kisses with tongue and stripping you promised.”

 

“You don't have to tell me twice, jagiya.”

 

 

 

 

 

KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN