Wrong Number

Song For You

A/N: Hellooo everybody! And all the new subscribers, hello to you and thank you for picking up the story! Things are getting intense for our Hero, so let's see if he can navigate the web he's gotten caught up in. Thanks for continuing to supprt, everybody, it keeps me going during grad school. I hope you continue to enjoy!

 

Wrong Number

The next few days were like torture to Jaejoong. It was one thing to know what Sung Dami was up to and what threats she was holding over him, but it was another thing to not know at all when she was watching them and who around them was actually someone she'd planted. There was always a lot of traffic around their group, but now Jaejoong realized exactly how many people tailed them from day to day. Most of them were the familiar faces of staff and support teams or fans who haunted the C&M building and dorm, but he knew now that some of them were more than they appeared. Whenever he wasn't safely inside, he felt as if he was constantly being watched by Dami, and even when he was in the van or at C&M, he couldn't shake the feeling that every little thing he did was under speculation. There was one instance where a fan tried to grab his arm when he was walking to the building, and he almost smacked her away in panic. He'd bowed and apologized and made a break for the company, but his skin had already broken out in a cold sweat. He couldn't let anything happen with the pictures of Soorin still in Dami's possession, but he didn't know how much longer he could live like this.

 

Working on recording the album was the only time he felt happy. He felt like himself again when he was singing, like he was beyond anyone else's reach. He loved the voices of s accompanying him from his headphones in the studio, listening to all the new melodies and beats Hi Stan had dreamed up for them, and even letting the production team outside the sound room critique him and tell him to do it over as many times as they wanted. The music he created reminded him of why he'd wanted this life to begin with, even through there were parts of it he hadn't been fully anticipating. It was something worth fighting for, at the very least, even if he couldn't save himself from being trapped in Dami's web.

 

When he went to the break room following recording, Yunho was there grabbing a bite to eat before it was turn to go into the studio. “Jae!” he said warmly. His smile was too bright, and Jaejoong had to turn his face away from it. He hadn't really needed to go out of his way to avoid him over the past few days. After they'd recovered from the shooting, they'd been pretty occupied in working on their album recording and photoshoots, so there hadn't been much of an opportunity for them to interact one-on-one other than in their BTS footage for the album shoot, which Jaejoong forced himself to treat like an acting job. Yunho probably hadn't realized anything different about his behavior yet, and Jaejoong didn't want him to figure out. He didn't want Yunho to think for a second that he was growing apart from him, or that he was in any way upset or tired of their relationship.

 

“I finished recording, so you can go in now,” Jaejoong said, sitting down at the opposite side of the table from Yunho.

 

“Come on, at least give me a minute to talk to you. It feels like we haven't been able to do that for awhile.”

 

Jaejoong nodded feebly. She's not here. It's just the two of us. Don't be afraid. Nothing's going to happen right this second. We're fine.

 

“I wanted to let you know that I'm probably going out later tonight, after recording's over,” Yunho continued. “A couple of my friends are renting out a karaoke room.”

 

“You're going to be up for more singing after today?” Jaejoong asked neutrally. Normally, he hated it when Yunho went out with all the new friends he'd made in the entertainment industry since their debut. It wasn't because he was jealous of them romantically, for the most part, but because Yunho tended to go above and beyond for them in generosity, much more so than he did for Jaejoong or even the other members. He knew that Yunho liked to be a little more spoiled when he was around him, but still, he couldn't help but feel a bit resentful about it from time to time. Whenever it was just the two of them, Yunho was always insisting they needed to stay within their budget and not go too overboard in buying gifts for each other, so why did he always go around treating friends he hadn't known for near as long as he'd known Jaejoong, Junsu, Yoochun, and Changmin?

 

“Hey, I'm not the one hitting all the high notes around here. I'll be fine, and if not, I'll just chat and pass on singing.”

 

“Who all is going?”

 

“The usual group. A few guests, too. Apparently, one of the guys just wrapped up filming on a drama and is inviting some of the cast to celebrate.”

 

“Eh? And here I thought your little group was supposed to be exclusive. You've never invited us.”

 

“Do you want to go?”

 

“And be the odd man out? No thank you.” Jaejoong glared at the floor. “What drama is it?”

 

“Actually, it's the one Dami-ssi's currently acting in. When I met her at the filming, she told me that she knew one of my friends really well.”

 

Jaejoong froze. “So... she'll be there.”

 

“I assume so.”

 

And she probably arranged for your friend to have the event in the first place. But there was only one answer he could give. Step aside, and let her have her fair chance. Or else I'll pay for it later.

 

“All right,” Jaejoong said blandly. “Have fun.”

 

Yunho stared at him. “Who are you, and what have done with Boojae? You always argue with me about going out with them.”

 

“Maybe I've grown up since then.”

 

“So since two weeks ago, you completely resigned yourself to it?”

 

“That sounds about right.”

 

“Right...” Yunho paused, narrowing his eyes. “Now that I think of it, you've been off since our Rising Sun shooting. What's wrong?”

 

“Nothing.”

 

“Is this a Boojae 'nothing'? Where a lot of things are wrong, but you're just not saying it clearly?”

 

Jaejoong looked up at him and glared. “Fine. I think I'm coming down with a cold.”

 

He hadn't expected Yunho to buy it, but immediately his face turned concerned. “Why didn't you say so before? I thought you looked ill at the MV shoot, and we've been working non-stop since. You need to rest.”

 

“I will. I'll go to sleep as soon as I go back to the dorm.”

 

“Do you want me to stay with you, after all?”

 

“No,” Jaejoong said quickly. “You'd just be sitting around while I slept, wouldn't you? Go out and have fun.”

 

“If you're sure...”

 

“Anyways, shouldn't you be going into the studio by now? I'm sure they're waiting for you.”

 

“I'm sure they are.” Yunho pulled him up from his seat and wrapped his arms around Jaejoong's waist. “The work on recording the album is winding down, so just focus on getting better, okay?”

 

“...okay.” He accepted the hug for a moment, then lightly pushed Yunho off. “Get going.”

 

How can I get better?, he wondered, staring broodingly at the ground. If he didn't get those pictures, who knew how long he'd have to be like this? He could still allow Yunho's little gestures in private, but how long would it be before he'd have to start pushing him off in public? How long would it be before Yunho figured out that he was suffering from something much worse than a cold?

 

Numbly, Jaejoong left the break room and walked towards the dance room. The other trainees were learning their TRI-ANGLE routine as practice, so he plunked down on the couch and watched them for awhile. As much as liked being part of a debuted group, he missed their trainee days a little. As hard as it was to wait to stand on a stage, there was something to be said about not being involved in the greater games of the industry. Then again, he'd almost gotten swept up into Dami's revenge before he'd debuted, so there really was no guarantee of perfect safety.

 

“Hyung, you look awful,” Shinwon said, sliding next to Jaejoong on the couch once they'd finished their dance. “Have they been working you too hard? If you want, you should come to the spa with me after practice.”

 

“I thought you were going with 'Hyungchullie,'” Chansik said loudly, not even bothering to hide the annoyed expression on his face.

 

“Yeah, and if hyung is feeling down, he's more than welcome to come, too.”

 

“Who is 'Hyungchullie'?” Jaejoong asked.

 

“Hyungchul. He's an old school friend of mine,” Shinwon explained. “He transferred around the same time I joined C&M, so we lost touch, but he was one of the extras at your MV shoot, and we caught up. He's trying to become an actor so I thought I'd help out and give him tips. Be a good sunbae and all.”

 

“As if a flake like you could be a good sunbae,” Chansik said even louder.

 

“Being such a brat just makes you cuter, Chansikkie,” Shinwon yelled back. “What the hell has gotten him so pissy?” he asked, lowering his voice. “He's been like this ever since the MV shoot. Is this pent up ual frustration after watching you and Yunho hyung filming together?”

 

“Well, you and Chansik ah are close friends right?”

 

“If you can call wanting him to pin me down and have his wicked way with me friendship, sure.”

 

“He's probably jealous about you having someone you're also close with. He was like that with me before, and it sounds like the exact same thing.”

 

“Jealous? Over me? In a similar way to how he was jealous over you?” Shinwon blinked. “Weird. This coming from the same guy who talked my ear off after the shoot about how wonderful you did and how fantastic you looked in your wardrobe?”

 

Jaejoong winced at the slight bit of resentment in his voice. “Was this before or after you told him about reconnecting with your old friend?”

 

“After.”

 

“Then that sounds like he was being jealous to me. Chansik ah can get a bit petty when he's jealous.”

 

“Hmmm. Well, that's something to consider...” He pursed his lips. “It would be a bit precious if he felt territorial of me. Not that he should, since he's the one with annoying little crush on someone else, not me. I wouldn't consider dating Hyungchullie at all. He's not my type. I have a thing for idiots who can't take obvious hints after a year of flirting, apparently.”

 

“Apparently.”

 

“What are you two whispering about?” Chansik yelled again.

 

“The fascinating details of our love lives.” Shinwon said, grinning. “Care to join?”

 

Chansik turned a bright pink and started muttering under his breath.

 

“So cute,” Shinwon cooed quietly. “I keep telling myself that I should find someone else, but really, who is that fun to toy with?”

 

Jaejoong shrugged. “By the way, Shinwon ah... did you have a chance to talk to Sung Dami when she was working as an extra with you?”

 

Shinwon snorted. “You're joking. That princess would turn frosty if anyone less than you five tried to speak to her. By the way, hate to tell you this, but I'm 100% sure that she's after your boyfriend.”

 

“Figured that one out on my own,” Jaejoong muttered.

 

“I wouldn't worry about it. Yunho hyung strikes me as someone hard to impress, and it would take more than a princess to win him. Besides, he's pretty in love with you. He's better at hiding it than you, but he gets this hungry look in his eyes sometimes. I wish someone looked at me like that.” He glared at Chansik who obliviously glared back.

 

“Why do you call her a princess, though?”

 

“Because it feels like she's got a brain with class lines carved into it. She's on the top, and she keeps a court of admirers, and probably thinks everyone else around her are peasants. A lot of celebrities can be like that, but she's a real bad case.”

 

“And... do these princess types have any weaknesses, do you think?”

 

“Princesses?” He thought for a moment. “If we're going by the old fashioned trope, wouldn't it be whoever they think their prince is? Like, if they think they're going to rescued by him at the exact perfect moment and they're not?”

 

Jaejoong bit his lip. “The prince, huh? Maybe...” He trailed off. “Anyways, I'll leave you to your practice now. Good luck with Chansik ah.”

 

“Take care of yourself, hyung. And if you change your mind, the offer for the spa still stands!”

 

As tempting as the offer was, he didn't think he could relax even in a spa while thinking of Yunho at the karaoke event with Sung Dami. Even though he'd given him the green light to go, that had only been because he hadn't wanted to face the alternative of refusing to let him. In truth, the mere idea of Yunho being there was terrifying. What would she say to him? How close would she try to get? Worse, what if he started falling for the whole thing? What if this was the start of losing him, and he just had to sit back and calmly let it happen?

 

No, he told himself, clenching his fists. No giving up yet. There has to be some way to dismantle her. I have to start with her weakness. Even if I have to work through Yunho to do it, I'm not going to let her take what's most important to me away.

 

0o0

 

Still, he was completely miserable by time he made it back to the dorm with the other three. Yunho's friends had greeted him when they picked him up at C&M, and Jaejoong had wanted to scream after them that they needed to look after him and make sure nothing happened. But he bit his lip and stayed quiet. Changmin, Junsu, and Yoochun had chatted to each other throughout the car trip back, but Jaejoong simply stared out the window, stewing. He should have insisted on going along with him, but surely Dami would take that as interference. He was supposed to be docile, someone whose love was one-sided and hopeless. He couldn't afford to give her more ammunition than she already had.

 

As soon as he was back to the dorm, he took a long, hot shower and excused himself to bed. He wasn't actually sick, so he simply rested there, thinking. It would be karaoke event with plenty of Yunho's friends there. There was only so much Dami could do without being conspicuous. Although, there was a good chance that Yunho's friends would egg the relationship on if they caught whiff of it. Who wouldn't be tickled about the idea of their friend hooking up with a top actress? Wasn't that supposed to be a man's dream, or something? They had no inkling of Jaejoong lying in bed back in the dorm, burying his head under a pillow, trying to fight back the growing evidence of tears in his eyes. Jaejoong was a secret. Their relationship would never be a source of light-hearted banter between Yunho and the people he surrounded himself with. There was no freedom in it. Maybe Yunho would begin to realize that, too, and open his heart to a life where he didn't have to keep his feelings under wraps.

 

Jaejoong heard the door crack open and someone walk in. Underneath the sheets, he tried to brush away the tears that had slipped from his eyes, but whoever it was did not pull the blankets away from him. They sat on the bed beside him and his back gently.

 

“Hyung.” It was Yoochun's voice. “If you didn't want him to go, you shouldn't have let him go.”

 

“It's not my job to tell him what he can and can't do.”

 

“No. But if you love him, it's your job to tell him when you're in pain and why.” Yoochun's hand on his back stilled. “Is it true that Dami-ssi will be there tonight?”

 

Jaejoong nodded.

 

“You do realize-”

 

“Of course I do,” Jaejoong snapped. “She may as well have been wearing an 'I Love Jung Yunho' sign around her neck at the Rising Sun shoot.”

 

“Then why?”

 

“Why indeed.” He pulled the sheet away from his head. “Yunho's dating me. If he wants to keep dating me, he will. No matter who else likes him. If he doesn't, isn't it better that I know now?”

 

“That's strangely mature of you,” Yoochun said, lifting an eyebrow.

 

“I've been dating him for over two years now. It was bound to happen.”

 

“Still, you know him pretty well by now. He likes feeling needed by you and knowing he's the only one in your eyes. If you give him too much leeway, he'll start to wonder. Besides-” he reached down to brush the damp parts of Jaejoong's cheeks- “this is not the look of someone who's completely okay with what's going on.”

 

Jaejoong glanced around the room. What was he hiding from? She wasn't here. She was with him. “I hate her,” he said loudly. “I don't care that she likes him. A lot of people in this world do. A lot of people will. But she doesn't care about his heart. She just thinks she can stomp in and take him, and that's all she'll ever need to do.”

 

“All right, hyung,” Yoochun said, smirking. “Tell me how you really feel.”

 

“I'm not saying I deserve him any more than she does. Yunho's free to love whoever he wants. But that kind of love shouldn't be able to win over mine.” He fiercely wiped away the last traces of his tears. “I'll do what she wants for now. But even if she takes everything away, I'll know that I was the only one who ever loved him this much.”

 

“What do you mean? What does she want you to do?”

 

“Nothing. It's nothing.” Jaejoong lightly pushed Yoochun off the bed. “Thanks for being concerned about me, Yoochun ah. But it's fine. This one is something I need to handle on my own.”

 

“You shouldn't think that way,” Yoochun said, shaking his head. “There are five of us for a reason. When one of us is going through a hard time, aren't we supposed to help?”

 

Jaejoong nodded and reached out to squeeze Yoochun's hands. “I know,” he said. “And thank you. But I can't explain everything. Not yet.” Even if he told all the members what was going on, they'd still have no proof that she was stalking them-- all the proof was still in Dami's hands, particularly in the recording she'd made of their conversation where she'd confessed to everything. If he told them and she found out that he'd gone against her terms without the proper ammunition, she'd not only bring him down, but try to take out anyone who knew her little secret and was a threat to her, too. He couldn't do that to Yoochun or the others. He needed to have something concrete to pin against her, or it was all meaningless.

 

Yoochun looked at him uncertainly, but finally nodded. “It's your relationship you're dealing with. I guess you'd know what you're doing.”

 

“That's the last thing I know,” Jaejoong said sighing. “I just understand that I love him, that's all.”

 

0o0

 

Jaejoong dozed off around eleven, but woke up again when Yunho stumbled into the room around one. All the other members were already asleep, so he held his breath, hoping Yunho would just slide into bed and pass out so he wouldn't have to hear about anything tonight. Instead, Yunho crawled over his own bed and into Jaejoong's, placing his palm on Jaejoong's forehead to test the temperature. He misjudged the force of his touch, and would up slapping Jaejoong in the middle of his head by mistake, forcing Jaejoong's eyes to open as he winced.

 

“Oops, sorry, Boojae,” Yunho whispered loudly. His breath smelled faintly of alcohol, but not strongly enough to where it was likely he was drunk; he was probably only tipsy. The stronger scent on him was perfume. Probably hers, Jaejoong thought. Of course, he could have picked it up just from being next to her, but he didn't want to think about him sitting at her side the entire night, even if that was all he did.

 

“Feeling better?” Yunho asked, quieter this time.

 

“Worse,” Jaejoong said flatly. “I should probably sleep.”

 

“Mmmm? Too bad to give me a goodnight kiss?” Yunho puckered his lips cutely; his aegyo tended to trigger after he'd been drinking.

 

“All the members are in here right now. I might have a cold. You're tipsy, and you reek.” Jaejoong pushed Yunho by his shoulders. “No.

 

“I reek?” Yunho lifted his armpit and sniffed. “Do not.”

 

“Of perfume,” Jaejoong snapped, trying to keep his voice down.

 

“Ah... does Boojae think I was cheating? Why would I do that? Who in this world could I find who's better than you?”

 

Jaejoong's mood softened a little. “How was Dami-ssi?”

 

“A riot. I think she might be a little crazy, that one. She tells the weirdest stories about the people she's worked with. I wonder how she knows all this stuff?”

 

“You don't want to know, really.” He turned his face away. “Is she a part of your little friend group now?”

 

“Getting mad about my friends all over again? Now that's more like you.” Yunho sat up straighter. “But no, I don't think noona will be back. You remember Choi Jinsuk-ssi?”

 

“The actor who set Saehee noona and Minjun-ssi up?”

 

“Yeah. He's the roommate of one of my friends, so he came to pick him up tonight as a designated driver. And when Dami-ssi saw him...” Yunho shrugged. “I don't know what came over her. She almost decked him, and then he started yelling at her, saying something about her going 'too far' with something involving Minjun-ssi. Anyways, we narrowly avoided causing a scene, so it's best not to get involved in something like that again.”

 

Jaejoong sighed in relief. That was one avenue she'd be blocked in getting to him from, at least. Someone like her was sure to find something else, but the more limited she was, the better it was for him.

 

“Oh, yeah, and there was a weird message she wanted me to pass on to you,” Yunho whispered. “She said to tell you that the blinds were open on our break room today, and she thought she saw you when she walked by the company. But she must have been joking, right? The break room is on the second floor near the back of the building, and you wouldn't be able to see it from the street unless you went through the fenced off alley and had a pair of binoculars or something.”

 

An icy chill went up Jaejoong's spine. She could have done just that. Her or one of her “contacts.” And if she had, she'd probably seen Yunho giving him a backhug, which Jaejoong hadn't stopped him from doing. He wasn't keeping up his bargain, and she knew it. Maybe she'd allow him the one strike, and maybe she wouldn't. Either way, he'd been an idiot. It was Soorin and Starkiss's future he was gambling with more than his own. Soorin, who needed the money to pay for her mother's hospital bills. Gaeun, who'd given up her old life to go to Seoul, Brie who'd given up her country. Saehee, who'd done nothing more than fall in love with someone who loved her back.

 

Jaejoong put his hands on Yunho's shoulders and pushed. “Go to sleep,” he said, his voice shaking. “We still have practice tomorrow.”

 

“Fine, fine. I'll just have to get my goodnight kiss in dreams.” He ran his hand over Jaejoong's face, then rolled over into his own bed.

 

Please, just don't make this any harder for me, Jaejoong thought desperately. I can't be with you anymore like this until I find a way out. If there even is one... if there isn't...

 

He squeezed his eyes shut and tried to block everything else out. It wasn't supposed to be like this. They were supposed to be together, happily doing what they loved. But she'd poisoned that, and now it was on the brink of slipping out of his hands. Yunho, DBSK, even the family he'd made with rest of the singers at C&M. He was the one who brought them together, and he'd have to keep them safe now. But he felt so weak inside just thinking of it. The arms he needed to give him strength were forbidden to him now, and he felt like a pair of eyes were still watching him, waiting for the exact moment for him to slip and lose his last chance.

 

 

 

 

 

Your words of love scrape my skin, it becomes dim,
My head starts to hurt again, I’m starting to hear auditory hallucinations,
As if you’re interested, as if it’s for me; I’m just your item,
You don’t have to be nervous by the word "No"
Just let me go
Help me so I can escape
We’re already too far to start again