No Words Are Needed

Song For You

 

NO WORDS ARE NEEDED

When they landed in Korea, they didn't have to wait long to discover how many fans had come to greet them. They were just making their way out of their gate and towards customs when the flight's arrival was announced over the speaker, and a ear-splitting cheer went up from deeper in the building. Other travels whirled around in alarm, possibly assuming a murder had just taken place in the terminal, but Yongsoo simply sighed and opened his cell phone to call more security representatives to meet them.

 

“Think they missed us?” Junsu joked.

 

“Think we'll survive?” Yoochun joked right back.

 

Sure enough, it was an impossibly tight crush when they made it to arrivals. Cameras immediately went off, and their names were screamed so loudly and rapidly that Jaejoong couldn't distinguish one from the other. Their security guards stayed close to them, and Yunho kept a hand on his waist, even though the fans weren't targeting him specifically. If anything, they seemed most frenzied over Junsu, even though he'd posted about the healing process of the injury on his forehead so often online that Yoochun's had ceased to be the most famous forehead of DBSK, much to his annoyance.

 

“I kind of miss being a little bit unknown,” Changmin admitted once they had finally made it to their van and were safely sequestered inside. “I'm too tired for that much enthusiasm this early.”

 

“Better wake yourself up, then,” Yunho said. “We're going straight to C&M.”

 

“But they're not actually going to make us do anything, right? We just landed. Hyunsoo nim isn't just going to force a new song or dance on us right away. Besides, the rookies will be debuting, they must have a lot on their plate.”

 

“I don't think we'll be singing or dancing. But we are probably going to be evaluated on our performance in Japan. No one will thank you for falling asleep in the middle of that.”

 

“Then I'll just fall asleep here,” Changmin said, leaning his head on Yoochun's shoulder and promptly passing out. Jaejoong was tempted to do the same thing, but the trip to their company was so short that it would probably just make him cranky to get a little bit of sleep just to have to wake up again. Changmin was right, anyways; with the rookies debuting, they wouldn't be immediately called upon to have a comeback, no matter how badly they'd been missed.

 

“No matter how tired we are, it's probably worse for the rookies-- B.P.M.,” Jaejoong said, yawning. “I remember how it was for us right before we debuted. They must be exhausted.”

 

“We'll probably get to see them while we're there,” Junsu said. “Since they'll be training extra hours. I can't wait to see their first stage.”

 

“It's been a few months. Shinwon and Chansik ah should be done fighting by now.”

 

“They were fighting?”

 

“Er- yes. A personal thing.”

 

“In that case, I'm sure they've cleared it up. They wouldn't want to trouble the rest of the group so close to debut.”

 

“That's what I'd like to think... but those two, they've both got strong and stubborn personalities.”

 

“Doesn't sound like anyone else I know at all,” Yoochun said drily.

 

When they made it to C&M, the trainees were busy in the practice room just like they'd assumed, but they stopped the moment they saw their sunbaes coming through the door.

 

“You're back!” Haejin said excitedly, attempting to hug Yunho before remembering he was covered in sweat. “How was Japan? Junsu hyung, is your forehead all right?”

 

Junsu lifted up his bangs to show the remains of the slightly puckered wound on his head. “It's fine, it's fine. And Japan was lovely. We didn't get number one, but we did the best we could.”

 

“The food was great,” Changmin added.

 

“And our Japanese is better than ever,” Jaejoong said.

 

“How about you guys?” Yoochun asked. “Ready to hit the big stage?”

 

“Definitely ready,” Jongwoo said, flashing a thumbs up. “We've been working nonstop for this.”

 

“Want to hear our debut single?” Chaozhi asked.

 

“Hmmm... why don't we wait and see it onstage?” Yunho suggested. “We've been away for most of your practices for it, so why not make it a surprise?”

 

Jaejoong went over to where Shinwon was toweling off his hair. “How've you been?” he asked. “You look thin.”

 

“Constant training will do that to you.”

 

“And you don't have anyone like Changmin ah on your team, I guess. He can pretty much knock out the rest of our 'constant training' by asking us to take him out to lunch.” He lowered his voice. “Did you manage to patch things up with Chansik ah?”

 

Shinwon shrugged. “I guess. We're talking and hanging out again, if that's what you mean. But still...”

 

“Still?”

 

He shifted. “He's being kind of weird. Like, usually he's all gruff and huffy when we're together, but lately he's been very quiet and withdrawn, which isn't like him at all. He missed you, I suppose.”

 

“Could have fooled me. He only texted me twice while we were gone, which is also very unlike him.”

 

“We've been busy, and so were you.”

 

“Still, if you assume he missed me so much, he would have texted.” Jaejoong paused. “Are you still hanging out with that friend of yours?”

 

“Hyungchullie? I haven't really had much of a chance to, since we've been working so hard. And Hyungchullie has been auditioning at acting agencies, so we've mainly just been in communication over the phone.”

 

“I probably shouldn't be telling you this, since he told me in private-” Jaejoong lowered his voice further, “-but Chansik ah thinks you two are dating.”

 

“WHAT?” Shinwon yelled, much louder than he probably meant to. All of their members whirled around to stare at them.

 

Jaejoong forced a laugh. “Yah, Shinwon ah, no need to get so fired up, it wasn't that bad of a joke.” The others shrugged and went back to talking.

 

“Seriously?” Shinwon asked, quieter this time. “Wait, he knows I'm gay?”

 

“Not so much that he knows, but he thinks you are.”

 

“And it doesn't bother him?”

 

“Well... he is bothered by the fact that he thinks you're with Hyungchul ah. It's been awhile since he talked to me about it, but I think his wording was along the lines that someone pretty like you doesn't need to be with someone else that pretty.”

 

“Pretty?” Shinwon pressed his hand over his lips. “Oh my... that's... that's encouraging. If he's misunderstanding, and that's the reason why he's so quiet... maybe I should just confess, after all?”

 

Jaejoong smiled. Finally. Chansik ah will never understand unless you buy him a billboard with “I love you” on it, so just put your feelings out there before he gets more wrong ideas.

 

“I'll wait until after we debut, though. We all have enough on our minds right now. And besides... if we can manage to get together, I'll want to do some things that will make dancing a bit difficult.”

 

“Right away?”

 

“What, you and hyung didn't?”

 

“We took our sweet time. Too long, actually.”

 

“Well, I don't want to take anymore sweet time, considering that I've been in love with that idiot for years.” He grinned. “Thanks for talking to me about it, hyung. It's good to have you back.”

 

“It's good to be back.”

 

They all talked for awhile more before Hyunsoo nim poked his head out from the offices. “Ah, now here's a sight for sore eyes. The triumphant gods of the east, back at their home base.”

 

The five of them bowed respectfully and thanked him for the compliment.

 

“I monitored your activities carefully while you were away. Truthfully, I didn't anticipate you doing so well on your first go-round. I don't know if it's your charisma we have to thank or how well you promoted yourselves on your own. In any case, a job well done. I'll anticipate even better results next time since the company will have all the more influence to help you promote, so don't think you can slack on your Japanese studies just because you're back home.”

 

“Of course,” Yunho said. “We want to get better, too, so we'll do our best.”

 

“Still, I think your efforts deserve a reward. It happens that our B.P.M needs a dorm, and it seems like you five have outgrown the one you've been using. While you were gone, we managed to secure you an upgrade.”

 

“Seriously?” Junsu asked, perking up. “How many rooms?”

 

“Three bedrooms, like your dorm in Japan. I know now may be a chaotic time to move, but since all five members of B.P.M are from Seoul, we can do it more gradually then we did for you five.”

 

“I'm all for moving at any speed to have a more private room,” Yoochun snorted.

 

“I assumed as much. But before I send you on to your dorm, I'd like to go over your upcoming schedules now that you're back in Korea, as well as do an overview of everything you managed in Japan. And before that-” he gestured to Yunho and Jaejoong “-I need a private word with you two.”

 

Jaejoong looked up in alarm. Just us two? Does he know about us? Are we going to be punished? He glanced over at Yunho, who also had a tense look frozen on his face.

 

“No need to panic,” Hyunsoo nim said calmly. “There's just a situation with our lawsuit that you should be made aware of. Would you follow me into my office?”

 

The two of them woodenly trailed after him, exchanging glances as they went. They had both felt the lawsuit had been cleanly resolved, and that Dami had been sentenced to some jail time with a number of fines attached. What more was there to do? The only part of this that involved me and Yunho and not the other members were her accusations about us, Jaejoong reminded himself, clenching his fists. It has to be that... but who would listen to her? What has she done?

 

Soorin was already seated in Hyunsoo's office when they arrived, confirming Jaejoong's suspicions even further. Still, she smiled at him warmly and greeted them both with hugs.

 

“I know you three must be anxious, so I'll try and make this as quick and painless as possible,” Hyunsoo nim said. “It's been a slow news month for the gossip pages. There have been no new scandals, no new relationships revealed, and only minor issues to feed their readers with. Our lawsuit has been their major source of entertainment, but now that it's wrapping up, they need something else. According to a tipster, provided some celebrity doesn't do something stupid overnight, they're going to make the extra effort to see if there is any credence to the statements she made about Jaejoong and Soorin, and if not that, the comments she made about a relationship between Jaejoong and Yunho. I'm sure you could see why intense scrutiny for both, particularly the latter, would be bothersome.”

 

“But you said our fans were protesting anyone who printed about it,” Soorin said.

 

“That was true. But at the same time, your fans are curious as well. This girl stalked them for months, wouldn't she know better than anyone if something was going on? Certainly, there are fans who object to anything damaging coming out, but many want to have suspicions of their own confirmed. And to be frank, Soorin is not the one most have an interest in.”

 

Jaejoong looked down at his hands. “There's no proof that it's anything more than fanservice.”

 

“I know that. Your fans may have more of an interest in you two, but the media will be more concerned with Jaejoong and Soorin for purposes of practicality. However, there is not much they will able to get on you. To my knowledge, the two of you only see each other at the company or at label events, correct?”

 

Soorin nodded.

 

“There is no story there. But Yunho and Jaejoong, on the other hand...” He looked at both of them. “As true as it is that it would be difficult for anything to be proven unless you act blatantly, your case would be a greater scandal than Soorin and Jaejoong's. And then there is a matter of how well the two of you came across in Japan... Truthfully, if we are going based on the atmosphere around you alone, they'll have enough to publish without any special photographic proof. Most people won't believe in it, but some people will. It could be inconsequential. Or dangerous. I for one am not sure how to think of it. Perhaps you could give me your own thoughts?”

 

“If it would be more dangerous for Jaejoong and Yunho ah to be known, shouldn't I pretend to be the one dating Jaejoong for their sakes?” Soorin asked, wringing her hands. “If some suspect us already, it'll make it easy for them to believe us and turn their attention from the two of them.”

 

“No, not you. We've already denied a relationship between you two enough that it would be a considerable scandal if we admitted to it now. It would be particularly damaging for Starkiss, for reasons I'm sure you understand.”

 

“Then what should we do?” Yunho asked. “Stop being close to each other in public? And for how long? If it can't be truly proven, why should we have to change anything?”

 

“My thinking as well,” Hyunsoo nim said smoothly. “I witnessed how it was when Miss Dami blackmailing Jaejoong, and that kind of gloomy atmosphere between you was not suitable for the fans. I'm well aware that you are... indispensable presences for each other. If that's true, there is nothing any of us can do about it. The only solution is to behave in public in such away that it is for the fans, and for the fans only. Anything you do otherwise can and will be collected against you for the time being, until some other hot news item is latched upon. It is something I would like you both to keep in mind during your promotions.” He looked at Soorin. “As for you, as long as you aren't spotted alone with Jaejoong, I see no further cause for concern. Just know that there will a greater collection of photographers when you're out and about, so if there's anything you don't want picked up on regarding your family...”

 

She nodded. “I understand.”

 

“I don't wish misfortune upon anyone else, but the three of you should be cautious until everything has passed. But if that's sorted for the time being, I suppose there is nothing more to be said. Soorin, if you would call in the other DBSK members, we have more cheerful subjects to speak of.”

 

Jaejoong exhaled. Once again, they were flirting too close to a dangerous line. But as Hyunsoo nim said, they couldn't exactly stop. They were essential to each other; they needed to be together in some way, even if it was limited. He knew he could keep things quieter in public if he had to, for their own safety. Enough time had passed since Yunho's accident that he assumed he could stop tailing after him so dotingly, too. But at the same time, he wanted to struggle against their constraints. It's just love. Nothing to be ashamed of. I've done that before, so many times. I just want us to be free. How long will we have to wait to make that simple dream happen, or will it ever at all?

 

0o0

 

Though they had a few “welcome back” interviews scheduled, their return schedules were light to give an opening for B.P.M, and there wasn't much in particular they could do to cool down their rumors, other than to plunk Changmin down in between them in formation, which Junsu joked to their hosts was only necessary because he'd grown too tall, and it made them look lopsided to have the shortest member be one book end and tallest to be the other. Since their videos from Japan were still circulating, Jaejoong made a point to discuss how anxious Junsu and Yunho's accident had made him and how he'd gone a bit overboard in trying to take care of them, as grudging as the concession made him feel.

 

Still, there wasn't much time to think about any of it with their move from their old dorm and B.P.M's debut. Jaejoong felt an old rush of excitement when they went to the music station together to monitor B.P.M's first live stage since it reminded him so much of their own debut. The five rookies were a mess of jitters and nerves backstage, so Jaejoong did his best to try and give them advice to calm them down and get them to focus.

 

“It feels weird,” Chansik said when Jaejoong came over to straighten his crooked tie. “As many times as Hyunsoo nim said members would come and go and line-ups would change, the first day I came to the company, I really thought I'd be debuting with you and Yunho hyung and Seungmin ah.”

 

“Not disappointed, I hope?”

 

“I was at first. But now? I think it will be fine. I've spent so much time with them now that it feels natural.” He trailed off. “But debuting in the first place... I had no idea it would feel so terrifying. What if Shinwon's right and I am the dancing black hole?”

 

“There's nothing shameful about being a good dancer in a group of excellent dancers. You'll still be better than most people. Besides, Shinwon was only teasing.” He patted Chansik's cheek. “You two will take care of each other, won't you?”

 

“...eh?”

 

“As someone who's made his fair share of his mistakes, I don't want you to be the same as me. We may be in different groups, but we were together in the beginning. I'll always be rooting for you, okay?”

 

Chansik smiled. “Thank you, hyung. I'll always be your fan, too.”

 

When B.P.M were called to get ready to go onstage, DBSK headed to the monitoring area, since they could hardly go out to the audience area with the fans there like they'd been able to for rehearsals. They bobbed their heads as soon as the music started. With three rappers and two vocals, their concept was very different from DBSK, and their debut single was a striking switch up from Hug. But as Jaejoong listened, he could still hear the little parts in it that made it C&M, the influence of Hi Stan working on Jongwoo with the lyrics and music and the seamless synchronization in the choreography. In spite of his concerns, Chansik danced just as well as the others, and they all had their chances to shine among each other. Jaejoong's eyes turned to the audience where there was a flash of lime green lightsticks, representing B.P.M's image color. He remembered how amazing it had felt to see his own fans for the first time, and felt happy on their behalf. It would be the start of a beautiful journey together, and he wanted them to go as far and do as much as the five of them had been able to.

 

“Makes me want to be onstage again,” Changmin said, watching their routine closely.

 

“Says the guy who was just passing out all over the place a few days ago and whining about how tiring tours are,” Yoochun said, shaking his head.

 

“Hearing fans is like an energy source. It's much better than having to listen to you guys day after day.”

 

“It wasn't all that long ago that we were the ones on that stage,” Yunho said. “Time sure does go by quickly, doesn't it?”

 

Jaejoog nodded. Sometimes his life before felt like a distant memory. Now when he thought of it, he couldn't believe how long he had let himself feel lonely and had closed himself off to everyone else. He hoped Chansik felt the same evolution, appearing before his fans for the first time. There was a kind of strength you could only get from opening up to that kind of love and if Chansik could find that kind of peace before realizing how Shinwon felt, it would only be better for both of them.

 

B.P.M's performance wrapped up, and the response from the audience was enthusiastic for all five of them. The five DBSK members clapped from backstage as well. “We're officially sunbaes to our first labelmate group,” Yunho said proudly. “I'm so glad it's them. We'll get to teach them, of course, but there's a lot to learn from them, too.”

 

“We should do our best to put them through their paces,” Changmin added. “In fact, I was planning on calling up our stylists from TRI-ANGLE for their second single.”

 

“Might not want to push your luck, Changmin ah,” Junsu said. “B.P.M was planning on inviting us to their celebratory dinner, so you'll want to be nice.”

 

“Of course. All of this happens after I've eaten.”

 

“Should we go back to their dressing room and see them, then?” Yunho asked, absently playing with the ends of Jaejoong's hair. “Or give their families a fair chance?”

 

Jaejoong's playfully smacked Yunho's hands away, but Yunho entangled their fingers together teasingly. “Let's give them a moment with their families. We'll see them after all the tears are dried up. I wonder which one is going to be the Yoochun of the group?”

 

They heard a rustle from the doorway and turned around. Three members from a rookie girl group were standing there, most likely wanting to use the monitors for themselves, but they froze as soon as they saw DBSK sitting in front of them. They didn't bow or say anything, but simply stared, wide-eyed. Jaejoong smiled at first, assuming they were simply being nervous around a sunbae group, but then one of the members fixed her gaze on where Yunho and Jaejoong's hands were joined, her eyes widening further. Jaejoong quickly dropped his away and moved it to Changmin's shoulder.

 

“Did you want to use these?” Yunho asked politely. “We were just finished.”

 

“Oh, no, no, it's fine!” one of the girls said, giggling nervously. “We were just... getting lost.” She grabbed the other girls' hands and they ran back down the corridor together, their laughter echoing as they went.

 

“Admirers?” Yoochun wondered somewhat smugly.

 

“Or fans of ours?” Yunho asked Jaejoong softly. “We weren't careful again.”

 

Jaejoong shook his head. “It can't prove anything. Don't be like me when I jumped at every shadow because of Dami. It'll just wear you down.”

 

“I know. I just want to-”

 

“Protect me. I know.” He turned to the other members. “It's good to know we still have admirers after B.P.M. Should we go see them now?”

 

“Our admirers? You really are always in a hurry to get our groups into dating scandals, hyung,” Yoochun teased.

 

Jaejoong smacked his arm, but the accusation hit a little too close to home. Not this time. I'm not letting anyone get close to tearing us down. Not Dami's influence, not the gossip pages, not the two of us. No one. 

 

 

 

 

They don't stay still
Our feelings cannot stop
Where do we go?
When we realized it, we were already in love
We can't turn back now