Chapter 28

Will You Take The Risk? [EDITING]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“My boyfriend died 3 years ago,” Jinhee said, “because of eye cancer.” the old woman just nodded at her, and looked at her sympathetically.”His name is Joongki by the way.”

“I’m sorry for your loss..Ms..” the old woman looked at her realizing she didn’t get her name while Jinhee was talking non-stop. Jinhee chuckled softly, “Jinhee. My name is Jinhee.”

“Jinhee-ssi. I’m really for your loss, he was really lucky to have you.”

Jinhee just replied with a smile as they heard the pilot speak, “"Ladies, and Gentlemen,” the pilot said over the speakers, “this is your captain speaking, we like to welcome you onboard this American Airline flight to South Korea. Flight duration is around 15 hours, and we are expecting a fairly smooth flight today. Once again we thank you for choosing to fly with us today, and we hope you enjoy your flight" and with that signal, they buckled up their seatbelts as Jinhee whispered, “See you soon, Sehun” as she closed her eyes, and went off to slumber.

 

It have been 3 years since she left South Korea to study in America. Her family decided to let Jinhee unchain herself from everything, and liberate herself to start a new life. She just left everything behind, and without looking back, she disappeared like a fog. Her 3 years in America were full of ups, and downs. During her first year in the country was pretty much challenging. New life, new environment, new culture, and new friends. She decided to leave everything behind because she felt lost, agonized, betrayed, and weak. She returned to herself, to whom she was, here, and now, and she discovered herself once again, like a lotus flower in full bloom, even in a muddy pond, beautiful, and stronger.

 

 

15 minutes until their arrival, and she suddenly felt anxious thinking that after 3 years, she’s finally coming home. As she stared long outside the window, the sight was nothing but the clouds. And just like the plane was passing through the clouds, he imagined Joongki, flying like an angel looking over her. “How are you up there, Joongki? I hope you’re doing well. I miss you so much.” she mumbled softly. There was something beautiful about keeping certain aspects of her life hidden. Maybe people, and clouds are beautiful because you can’t see everything.

 

Flashback

She can hear her heart hammering. She watched uniformed strangers methodically attaching electrodes to his chest. She saw the emergency team slide him onto a board. While they strapped him down, she can hear some garbled radio communication. The air was cold, and dusk has descended. In the distance lightning flickered, and the sound of the ambulance awakened her thoughts, and made her remember that dreadful accident that she thought took Joongki’s life forever. The difference from now was, this was not an accident.

 

 

They were waiting outside the emergency room as she climbed back to her feet, walked back and forth, intertwining her hands nervously. They heard the emergency room door flicked open, and the doctor revealed himself.

“The operation was successful, and we’re going to transfer him into a private room.” the doctor said to Jinhee, and Mrs. Song, as they both sighed contentedly. “But..” they felt a surge of anxiety as they saw a pitiful look on the doctor, “he lost his eyesight from the cancer. We did our best to save his vision..” and with that news, Mrs. Song flopped back against the seat again. When words are too heavy for the mouth, the soul weeps in agony.

They sat for a while before Jinhee felt a familiar sense of anxiety at the reality of their situation. That one tear, that tiny, salty, droplet of moisture was a mean of escape. Although it was just a small tear, it was the heaviest thing in the world.

 

 

Joongki was transferred already into a private room as they entered the hospital room, bringing their heavy agony as they stared long at Joongki who was sleeping peacefully. It was more painful to think that even if he wakes up, his eyes will no longer linger on the light, it will no longer trace constellations. He will

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter