008

The Candor Academy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I have everything.” Amber says to herself after double checking with her luggage.

“Noona! Do you really have to go? Seong will be lonely again without you.” Seong cries, hugging Amber’s leg like a koala clinging onto it’s tree. Amber crouched down to face him.

“It’s alright. I don’t want to leave little Seong either.” Amber says patting his head. Then he starts to cry and embraces her. Amber hugs him back warmly. She glances at the window and out to the dark night that is lit by the dim blue moon.

“It’s time. I have to go.” Amber says. Seong nods understandingly and lets her get up. Amber grabs her luggage and opens the door to leave.

“Bye Noona!” he says waving, trying to hold his tears back. Amber looked at him and smiled sincerely. She waved goodbye and shut the door behind her.

Exhaling sadly, she made her way to the bus station.

~

He knocked on her door several times, bracing himself with each knock that he placed on the door. Key wondered what Amber’s reaction would be when he saw him behind the door. He figured that she'll probably be pissed and angry but no matter what happens, apologizing is his main priority right now.

He has been waiting for the last 5 minutes but there was never and answer. Curious, he tried to turn the knob. To his surprise, it clicked open. He was hesitant but entered anyways. The room was hollow. Then he heard a familiar weep. He looked at the closet and surely enough, the luminance coming from the little ghost that he has encountered previously is visible from under the door.

Swallowing hard, he was determined to find out where Amber went and this little ghost was probably his only option. So he opened the door.

“H-hi.” Key stuttered. The little ghost turned around and revealed his disoriented face to him. Key jumped back a little and bit his lower lip to stop himself from screaming. He took in a deep breath and braced himself.

“H-hello, m-my name’s Key. Do you know, by any chance, as to where Amber went?” Key dared himself to ask.

“Noona said she’s going home.” the little boy answered, stifling his cries.

“What?!” Key shouted in shock. Key’s sudden loudness startled the little ghost and caused him to burst into tears again. Frantic, Key kneeled down and tried to comfort him.

“I’m sorry I scared you!” Key apologized in panic. Key dared himself to pat the little ghost’s head and surprisingly, he was able to touch him.

After a while, the ghost finally learned to warm up to Key and stopped crying.

“What’s your name?” Key asked gently.

“Cheon Seong.” he replied.

“That’s a nice name.” Key smiled. Then the boy suddenly bursting out laughing. Key looked at him in confusion.

“You’re much nicer than Noona says you are.” he laughed.

“I don’t know if I should take that as a compliment or an insult.” Key told him bluntly. Then Seong laughed again.

“If you’re looking for Noona, I suggest you should hurry and find her. She’ll be gone soon.” Seong tells him.

“Amber!” Key shouts to himself, almost forgetting why he opened the closet to confront the little ghost in the first place. Key gets up and heads out for the door.

“Hyung!” Seong shouts. Key turns around to look at him. “Please stop hurting Noona and bring her back.”

Key smiles and nods.  Seong smiles back and with that, Key disappears to look for Amber.

~

It’s been a whole hour since Amber’s been sitting there waiting for the bus. Then, she suddenly thought of Seong.

She misses him already. Although he has a disoriented face, it wasn’t that hard to get used to. In fact, looking past that face, Seong is a nice and kind little boy. Even if it was only for 2 days, Amber really regarded him as if he was her little brother.

Suddenly, blinding lights started to approach her direction. She got up to see if that was the bus but it was just another passing car. Exhaling nervously, she sat back down onto the bus bench.

Soon, it started to rain. The roof of the bus stop shielded her as she watched little puddles form on the black cement ground.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter