027

The Candor Academy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The cord snapped, causing the backdrop to fall where Amber stood. But before it got too far down or even noticed by anyone else, Taemin was able to grab a hold the cord that held the backdrop,  preventing it from dropping on Amber. But he wasn’t strong enough to lift the backdrop back up into the fly.

From the wings, Key watched Amber longingly as she bowed to the crowd. He too, applauded for her. He felt proud of her that she did this. Even if it was for herself. He was proud.

The audience’s cheers seemed to last forever because they wouldn’t let Amber leave the stage. But it didn’t matter to her. In fact, it made her feel wanted, the audience making her feel alive, free and welcomed. Then the audience started a chant.

“Amber! Encore! Amber! Encore!” they cheered repeatedly. Amber was shocked and speechless. She hasn’t expected to do an encore of any sort.

“Well, looks like Amber’s got quite the crowd tonight.” Kevin smiled, walking out onto the stage.

“Should we give them an encore?” Naeun laughed.

“I think we should.” Kevin agreed.

“What do you guys think?” Naeun asked the audience. The audience replied with cheers and roars, wanting Amber to play more for them.

“Well?” Kevin asked Amber without the microphone while the audience was distracted.

“I haven’t prepared anything.” she whispered in fright.

“You’re a musician. I’m sure you could think of something.” Naeun whispered.

“But-”

“Play your Goodbye Summer.” Kevin told her.

“How’d you-?” Amber started but couldn’t continue. Kevin replied with a shrug.

“Well?” he asked again.

“But that song’s a duet. I need at least one other person.” she explained.

“I’ve got one.” Naeun exclaimed. She went into the wings and pulled Key onto the stage.

“What?” Amber’s eye widened.

“You and Key have the same music class together right? Surely, you two can sing together no problem.” Naeun said excitedly.

“But-” Key started.

“Here’s Amber’s personal composition, Goodbye Summer sung with Kim Kibum. Wow the crowd, own the night you two.” Kevin presented before Key could protest.

Key and Amber looked at each other, not knowing what to do as Kevin and Naeun got off stage.

“I guess there’s no choice here really.” Key shrugged.

Amber swallowed hard. Tonight was to let her express herself and officially let go of her feelings for Key, not sing a duet with him.

Unwillingly, she sat back down into her chair and started.

~

As they sang, Taemin’s rage increased. He was tempted to let go. Very tempted.

He hated Amber now. He hated her a lot. He gripped tightly on the cord, wondering whether he should let go or not.

Then, a very small sound started to bug him.

The sound of the lower part of cord snapping. Taemin was so late to noticing it, just when he heard it,  the backdrop was already on it’s way down.

~

Key just happened to hear the sn

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter