Chapter 8: Fireworks

Scared To Death

“So, I guess it’s just us huh?” Jiyong tried starting a conversation.

 

“Hmm.” Chaerin hummed, not daring to look at him and just looking at her food like it was Adam Levine.

 

“Yeah. So, just like old times right?” he tried again. Sounding a bit more joyful.

 

“Hmmm.”

.

.

.

.

Awkward silence… again.

 

“Come on Chae, I’m trying here.” He said as he put down his spoon and laid back on his chair.

 

Chaerin looked up at him and saw that he looked tired and frustrated. She felt a bit guilty since she knows she’s partly the reason why he’s frustrated but she just really didn’t know what to do but there was one thing she was sure of, that she still cared about him since looking at his state now, all she wants to do is hug him and say everything’s alright but that may not be the case this time. She sighed and put down her spoon too.

 

 

“I’m sorry Oppa, it’s just that I’m really tired with all the practice and recording and everything and…” she stopped talking when she saw him just staring at her. More like gawking anyway.

 

“What? Is there something on my face?” she said as she touched , cheeks and forehead which he found very cute.

 

He smiled at her and removed her hand on her face. “Nothing. It’s just that it’s been a long time since I last heard you call me oppa. It feels really nice hearing it from you.” He said sincerely and Chaerin could feel her blood rushing to her face.

 

Her heartbeat sped up and she was feeling nervous. She didn’t realize that she had called him oppa. It just went out of automatically. They were just looking at each other until Chaerin realized that he was still holding her hand. She pulled it away from him gently and they broke their gaze to each other.

 

“Someone might see us.” She just said as she went back to focusing on her food. She didn’t even know why she had to defend her action.

 

“So what? Everybody knows we’re close. And besides we’ve done more than just hold hands. Way more.” He said and that made Chaerin froze. ‘Wow. He said it so casually. Like it was just a normal thing. Like it just happened every day.’ Well, maybe for him but not for her. She respected herself enough to not just do it so casually.

 

She scoffed and he heard it. “What?” he asked.

 

“Nothing. I think we should probably go home. It’s getting late.”

 

“What? It’s just 9 Chae.”

 

“Yeah… well… that’s late for me.”

 

“Come on, Chae. What did I do? Did I say something? I thought we were good just a while ago right?”

 

‘You thought wrong’. She wanted to say that but she stopped herself.

 

“Okay. I’ll send you. But can you go with me somewhere first? I need to drive by a place first then I’ll send you home.” He said because she didn’t respond to him anymore.

 

She thought for a bit then concluded that she had to agree since he was her only ride home. She nodded her head and they finished up. He paid for their meal and went out of the restaurant.

 

 

They’ve been driving for 20 minutes now and Chaerin feels uneasy because she knows the way they were going. She was very familiar with it. She has been passing by this road for the past 4 years.

 

 

“Where are we going?” she asked.

 

“We’ll get there soon. You’ll see.” He said as he looked at her while smiling.

 

She kept quiet for the rest of the ride thinking that it was all a coincidence until they made a left turn and she knew perfectly where that turn would take them. Her heart beat went through the roof and she was having a hard time to breathe. Her palms were sweating and her eyes were starting to water. They were near. She knew it. She held her breath and waited for the car to stop but it didn’t. She furrowed her eyebrows and looked at Jiyong. There was no sign that he was stopping.

 

“Where are we really going to, Jiyong?” she asked again,

 

“We’re near. Just wait. And the time is just perfect.” He said as he continued to drive away from that place that she knew so well.

 

She let out a sigh of relief when they were a good 5 minutes away from that place.

 

She felt the car stop. “We’re here.” He said as he stopped the car.

 

She looked around and was confused. She didn’t know where they were. She didn’t even know there was still a place past that place she knew.

 

“Why are we here?” she asked, confused. She couldn’t see much, just some faint lights from afar and streetlight behind them and the road.

 

“Just wait. It’s almost time.” He said smiling.

 

“Time for what?” she was still confused.

 

 

 

“Time for that.” He said as he pointed forward.

 

She looked to where he was pointing and she saw it. The lights. It was beautiful. Fireworks. It was a simple thing but it made her feel really happy. It has been long since she saw fireworks and she loved them. She smiled unconsciously and Jiyong felt happy seeing her smile because he was the one who caused it. It had been a long time that he had seen her smile because of him and this really made him feel ecstatic.

 

She was watching the fireworks as he was watching her. They were both lost in their own world. Both happy at this moment. Maybe because of different reasons but still, they were happy.

 

He was so happy seeing that glitter in her eye. She looked so beautiful right now. She was still smiling and watching the fireworks. He couldn’t help but take a photo of her. The camera flashed and that broke their trance.

 

“What are you doing?” she asked.

 

“Ahhh… Uhhh… nothing, uhh. I just wanted to take a picture of the fireworks. Its great right? Hehe” he said while directing his phone in front only to see darkness. There were no more fireworks. ‘Stupid’ he face palmed himself.

 

He was preparing himself to be scolded by her because he took a picture of her but…

 

“Yeah. It was great. So great. Thank you for bringing me here. I didn’t think I needed that but I did. It was beautiful. Thank you.” She said sincerely and Jiyong just stared at her.

 

“Y-yeahh. No problem.” He said unsurely. She looked so… sad.

 

“Are you okay?” he asked her.

 

“Yeah. Let’s go home now. I’m tired.”

 

“Yeah okay.” He said as he started the car and started to drive back to the city passing by the road they passed by earlier and that still didn’t fail to make her heart race. That place.

 

“How did you know that there were fireworks there?” she asked.

 

“I thought you’d never ask.” He smiled. “There was this one time that I wanted to just get away but I didn’t know where to go. So I just started driving. I drove for like two hours and I was there. It was a Wednesday when I went there and it was almost 10PM. I just sat there, not thinking of anything and then it started. The fireworks. It made me really happy and I don’t even know why. It was like some of my burdens were eased. Then I thought maybe I was just lucky that I was able to see that once but I came back exactly after a week at the same time and waited. Then there were fireworks again. So I thought that maybe they did that weekly or something. I don’t even know who does it. Hehe.” He said softly.

 

“So, I brought you there so that maybe it would be able to ease your problems too. Maybe it would help you a bit because I know you’re feeling pressured right now, with work and whatever other problems you’re having and I wanted to help you with your problems but I just can’t find a way how. You’ve been so distant to me and now I don’t even know how to approach you. I want us to be close again but I don’t know how to start. I mean, I’m really trying to, you know, be close again but it feels like you don’t want to and that hurts. Really bad. And I don’t even know what’s going on with you anymore. Like where you’re going. What you’re doing or just anything at all. I want you back Chae. I miss you.” There he said it. He said it all in one shot. That was probably the longest statement he has said to her for what felt like forever. He said what he felt and now he felt relieved. He waited for her answer but it didn’t come. He looked to the side where she is and he smiled. She was sleeping.

 

“Wow. Here I am. Spilling what I feel and you’re sleeping.”  He said while chuckling. ‘Maybe this isn’t the right time’ he said to himself. He looked at her again and she looked so peaceful. So beautiful. They reached the parking lot of her dorm and she was still sleeping. He decided to let her stay like that for a while so she can rest more but also so he can be with her more. He removed strands of her hair from her face and she scrunched her face. ‘Cute’ he thought.

 

 

After about 20 minutes, she stirred and opened her eyes. She looked right then left. Then she saw him looking at her. She looked forward and saw a wall. She looked back at him and saw him smiling.

 

“We’re here.” He finally said.

 

After about 5 seconds. It sunk in her. They were now in her apartment. In her apartment. IN her apartment. Her eyes widened and she gasped but immediately put her hand on .

 

He laughed at her reaction.

 

“How the… what… when… HOW?” she looked panicked but still managed to be adorable.

 

He was still lightly laughing at her reaction then stopped when he saw her glare at him.

 

“Explain.” She said flatly.

 

“Okay, okay. Before you kill me with those eyes of yours, I’ll explain.” He said and she sat back down to the sofa. They were in her living room on her sofa.

 

“So, we were going back from the fireworks place then we turned right, then—“

 

“I know that! Skip forward! How come we’re here?!” she said.

 

“Okay. So we reached the parking lot and I was waiting for you to wake up but you weren’t waking up so I tried shaking you to wake you up but still, you were sleeping like a log. I shook you harder but you wouldn’t open those beautiful eyes so I decided to carry you up here. And it’s a good thing you still haven’t changed your pin or else we would be outside right now.”

 

“What?! You just decided to carry me in?!” she almost screamed all out at him.

 

“Yeah. And now, I need a back massage. Come on, massage me Chae. You were quite heavy and your apartment is like so far from the elevator. I had to walk that far carrying you.” He said while holding his back and faking a pain stricken face.

 

“OHMYGAD! You could have tried harder in waking me up!” she exclaimed.

 

“I really did but you sleep like a dead person really. I even think I bumped your head while carrying you but you still didn’t wake up. hahaha!”

 

“YAH! You---“ she was embarrassed. She was feeling hot all over. He carried her from the parking lot. Omygad. Just omygad.

 

“Yes, yes. You’re welcome.” He said while smiling. He loved this. It was like old times. He always loved teasing her and getting this reaction and he loved that her reactions haven’t changed.

 

“Aaaand you can thank me by letting me crash here tonight.” He said

 

“WHAT?”

 

“I’m really tired Chae and its late AND my body hurts from all that carrying.” He was still teasing her. ‘Oh God’ she thought.

 

 

 

She didn’t answer for a while because she was weighing her options. In the end she decided to let him stay because she was still embarrassed by what happened earlier.

 

“Okay. You can stay.”

 

“YES!” he said as he went towards her room which caught her off guard.

 

“Where are you going?” she said.

 

“To bed. You said I could stay.” He said as he was about to open my door.

 

“Yeah. But that’s my room.” She said walking towards him.

 

“Yeah. But we always sleep together when I crash in your place.” He said comfortably.

 

“No. You sleep on the couch or the guest room.”

 

“But—“

 

“You sleep in either of the choices I gave you or don’t sleep in my apartment at all.” She said seriously.

 

That made him pout. He thought for a while that they were okay and they were back to normal but that was just wishful thinking. He sighed in defeat and walked towards the couch.

 

“You can sleep on the guest room you know. There’s a bed there and its more comfortable than the couch.” She said when she saw him walk to the sofa.

 

“Yeah. But the couch is nearer to your room and I want to be nearer to you.” He said and that tugged her heart. She didn’t know what to say.

 

“Suit yourself.” She said as she went inside her room.

 

He settled on the sofa feeling defeated. He really wanted to hold her tonight. Well, actually every night. He missed her so much. He heard her go out of her room again and he shot up. He thought she changed her mind and decided to let him sleep together with her but he was wrong. He saw her approaching him, carrying and fluffy pillow and a thick blanket.

 

“Here. You can go to the guest room if you feel uncomfortable here. Okay? Good night. I’ll sleep now.” She said as she turned and went back in her room. He was sad that she didn’t do what he thought but was still happy because she still cared enough for him to consider if he was comfortable or not.

 

 

 

In her room, Chaerin couldn’t sleep. She was looking straight at her wall. She was in a side position with her back facing the door. She couldn’t sleep because Jiyong was just in her living room and because she heard what he said when they were in his car. She heard it all. The one that really stuck to her was when he said he missed her. That pulled strings in her heart.

 

When Jiyong was saying what he felt during their car ride. She was listening to him. She was listening to every word he said and put them to mind. His words were like music to her ears. Then he said he missed her. Just that. And her mind and heart went on overdrive. She couldn’t think straight when he said that. She didn’t know what to say. Well, actually she did. She wanted to say she missed him too but she stopped herself. That’s why she decided to close her eyes and pretend to sleep so that she wouldn’t say anything she might regret in the future. Even though her eyes were closed, she could still feel him staring at her and that just added an extra beat to her heart. She stayed like that for a while, just closing her eyes until she really fell asleep and she really didn’t feel when Jiyong carried her which was both a good and bad thing. A good thing because it was hella embarrassing and a bad thing because she missed the feeling of his arms around her. ‘Gosh. What am I feeling?!’ she was cursing herself. She was so confused.

 

She was occupied with her thoughts that she didn’t hear the door open. She just felt a presence and the bed moved ever so lightly that it felt like the person made sure not to wake her up. But she wasn’t sleeping so she felt everything. She didn’t know what to do. Pretend sleeping again? Maybe he’ll go away. She said to herself but she knew she was fooling no one. He wouldn’t go away. Asleep or not, she was sure he would stay there. Then she felt one arm wrap around her as his other arm swiftly went under her neck and turned her around. She had her eyes closed but she was sure she was now facing his chest. She inhaled and smelled his scent. Still that unique scent that she loved.

 

“Stay like this for a while and don’t push me away. Please.” He said softly.

 

She wasn’t sure if he knew she was awake and talking to her or if he just said that to himself. But still she didn’t answer. She was fighting with herself inside. Her mind and her heart were saying different things. She was debating with herself whether to push him away or just let them be for tonight. Just tonight…

 

Her heart won. She stayed like that just enjoying their moment until she fell asleep. She felt complete. She let herself enjoy this one last time before that day comes.

 

 

 

He was lying down on the couch looking at the ceiling. He really wanted to hold her right now and her being at the same place just added to that want. He couldn’t sleep. Not when she was just a few meters away from him. He thought that he should go in her room and just sleep on her bed since maybe she’s asleep now and she’s a heavy sleeper and she won’t feel it if he went there. He built up his courage and decided to do it. When he was about to enter her room, he hesitated for a bit. ‘Maybe she’ll be mad’ he thought. ‘Aaahh. it. YOLO’ then he opened her door. He saw her lying down, back facing him. He stopped for a bit to see if she would turn around but she didn’t so maybe she really was already asleep. He went in and closed the door. He slowly approached her bed and she still didn’t move. He carried his weight as much as he can when he lied down on the bed so that he wouldn’t disturb her. When she didn’t move, he continued to move towards her. When he was close enough he wrapped his arm around her ‘please don’t move away, please don’t move away’ he repeated to himself and she didn’t. He was feeling happy.’ Just one more move and its all good’ he thought as he turned her to face him. He saw her eyes closed and thought she was sleeping ‘Aigoo, this heavy sleeper.’ He smiled.

 

“Stay like this for a while and don’t push me away. Please.” he whispered. More like a wish really than a statement. 

 


Hi! Sorry for not updating sooner. Thank you to all my subscribers and readers! I really appreciate you subscribing, reading and leaving a comment :)

I hope this didn't bore you. I hope you like this chapter :)

Drop a comment guys. Tell me what you think. Thanks for reading!