Chapter 27: The Confession

Scared To Death

“Where’s Chaerin?” the Dragon asked, noticing the absence of that certain blonde when he was doing his routine of looking for her every now and then.

 

Nobody answered his question, perhaps because they were all too busy to hear him anyway.

 

He looked around and saw everybody in their work mode. ‘Ugh. Maybe Youngbae knows.’ He thought.

 

He looked around again to look for his best friend and to his surprise, he wasn’t there too.

 

‘Huh. Where is he?’

 

Then an oh so familiar feeling started creeping up in his veins.

 

Chaerin is not here. Youngbae is not here. But everyone else is here.

 

He panicked a bit, just a bit. Then he became uneasy.

 

‘Are they together? If they are, what are they doing?’ these are the thoughts running in his mind.

 

That familiar feeling was becoming stronger and he didn’t know what to do. Should he look for them?

 

He decided to wait for a bit, ‘maybe they’ll be back soon anyway’ he thought.

 

He kept on staring at the door like he was trying to move it with his mind, waiting for it to open.

 

Impatience settled in and he couldn’t take it anymore.

 

He and Youngbae have been best friends for like forever and Chaerin is the love of his life. But is she the love of Youngbae’s life too?

 

Jiyong just thought that what Youngbae felt for Chaerin was something like a crush and not really to the point of love so he didn’t mind and he didn’t talk to him about it. But was he wrong? Does Youngbae love Chaerin in a way he does?

 

While thinking of these, his heart became unsettled. Yes, Chaerin kind of decided to trust him again by holding his hand but was she willing to love him again?

 

Insecurity set in and he was already sweating while walking the hallways of YG. His palms were white and cold and his breathing was heavy and uneven.

 

He didn’t actually know where to go but he just went with where his feet brought him and before he turned a corner, he heard some voices.

 

......

 

“It’s only now that I said it because it’s only now that I found some courage to. Thank you so much for being my inspiration. I’m so lucky to have you. Just know that I… I love you Chaerin-ah.” That familiar manly voice said and Jiyong’s heart tightened with every word.

 

He was watching them.

 

He was standing, with his back on the wall while looking at their reflections on the window in front of him. He could see Chaerin’s back and Youngbae’s face. He could hear every word said and each word sent daggers to his heart but he couldn’t go away, he couldn’t look away. He wanted, no he needed to hear it all. He is a masochistic jerk after all.

 

He was looking at them intensely, trying to read every action and reaction, every movement or anything that they were doing in general. They were actually already talking when he got there so he probably missed some parts but he still ought to listen to the rest.

 

“I love you too, oppa…” said that alluring, husky voice and Jiyong felt himself froze. After hearing that, it seemed that everything has turned off. He didn't hear anything else. He couldn't. 

 

He thought that hearing her say that to another man was heart breaking enough but then he saw them hug and that look on Youngbae’s face was so familiar to him since he’s sure that’s the same look on his face when he looks at Chaerin.

 

He felt like his world collapsed. He’s having a hard time to breathe and he clutched at his chest to where his heart is, trying to relieve the pain he was feeling right now.

 

He couldn’t take it anymore. He used every power he still has to drag his legs away from there and find escape.

 

He slowly started walking ‘til he was already running.

 

He ran, not caring about the looks people gave him or if people recognized him but they probably did since he was still wearing his jacket with the ‘Dragon’ on it.

 

......

                                                                                          

“Yes oppa, what did you wanna talk about?” Chaerin asked when she and Youngbae found a quiet place to talk since he said it was important.

 

“Uhm… Chaerin… I just uhh… I wanna say something.” Youngbae said, trying hard not to choke on his words.

 

“What is it, oppa?” Chaerin asked patiently but also a bit knowing of the situation already since she wasn’t a stupid girl and something like this happened to her before too, so she was familiar with the circumstance, but still, she wanted to hear what he had to say and didn’t want to interrupt him.

 

“Okay. So, we’ve been friends for a long time now and I’ve practically seen you grow as you’ve seen me grow. Huh, what the hell am I talking about?” Youngbae chuckled at himself. He couldn’t get the right words to come out because he was so nervous.

 

“Yes, oppa, and we’ve both grown to become fine individuals.” Chaerin said smiling, trying to lighten up the moment since it was being pulled down by Youngbae’s nervousness.

 

“Yes, indeed, we have. But I just wanna say that uhm… I didn’t know when exactly it started but uhm… I think I’ve grown feelings for you and not just as a sister or a friend.”

 

Chaerin’s intuition was right, but now, how would she handle this situation. She has always seen Youngbae as a brother and as a man too and maybe at some point, she might’ve liked him too but not to the point of romantic love. She was still thinking of something to say when…

 

“And you don’t have to say anything. I know you love Ji. You always have and probably always will. I’m a hopeless case, I know…” Youngbae said as he looked down.

 

“Oppa…”

 

“But that’s okay. I accept it. I’ve accepted it for a long time.” He smiled but it didn’t quite reach his eyes. “I accepted it because I know that it’s Ji that can make you happy. It’s him that can instantly light up your day. You’ve been sad for the past four years because the past four years was the time when you weren’t one with him. I’m willing to step aside for him because I think you are meant for each other and that you’ll be very happy with him. Both of you would.”

 

“Oppa, I don’t know what to say.” Chaerin said softly. She expected a confession but she didn’t expect that those were the words that Youngbae would say to her.

 

“Aigoo, don’t be awkward with me Chae. I gathered all my courage to say those, so don’t go around being awkward with me or I’ll regret this!” Youngbae said while chuckling to remove the small tension that was formed by his confession.

 

“And also, don’t worry about me, okay? Just go about normally, especially now, since it seems that you and Ji are patching things up.” Youngbae said with one eyebrow raised.

 

“Yes oppa, we’re trying to figure things out together.” Chaerin quietly and shyly said.

 

“Yah Chaerin! I said don’t be awkward with me! Just tell me what you feel. I won’t get hurt. Yah, just talk like you usually do, okay?” Youngbae said as he patted her head, he wanted to clear up the air. He wanted them to be what they were before, even if it’s just best friends, he’ll take it. Its way better than not having her company at all, anyway.

 

“It’s only now that I said it because it’s only now that I found some courage to. Thank you so much for being my inspiration. I’m so lucky to have you. Just know that I… I love you Chaerin-ah.”

 

I love you too, oppa… Thank you for understanding me and always being there for me. I’m luckier to have you, oppa. You always brightened up my days and I will forever be grateful to have you as my friend.” Chaerin said with all her sincerity.

 

“And I’m sorry oppa… I’m sorry that I can’t return your feelings. I guess you just can’t teach your heart who to love.” Chaerin said with her head down.

 

“I totally understand you Chaerin. That’s what I feel myself. Ayuuu~~ come on, let’s go back. Jiyong’s probably looking for you. He always is anyway.” Youngbae said as he led the way back to the studio, closely followed by Chaerin from behind.

 

She was walking quietly and thinking about what just happened. She just practically listened to Youngbae’s confession a while ago and she couldn’t say she was shocked because she wasn’t a stone. She felt it too. Most people around them felt it too. They would ask questions about them but she would just shrug it off as brother-sister love.

 

She was happy that Youngbae understood her and that he didn’t make it hard. Well, for the past couple of years or so, he and Dara were the best at understanding her.

 

The short walk was silent and they reached the studio.

 

“Oh hey guys, where’ve you been?” Teddy asked immediately as soon as they entered and when Chaerin closed the door, Teddy had that confused look in his face.

 

“We just went for some air” Youngbae said as he sat on the almost empty sofa, with Dara sitting on the other end.

 

“Why oppa?” Chaerin asked as she went and sat next to Dara.

 

“Oh, I thought you were with Jiyong?” Teddy said.

 

“Huh? No oppa. Just me and Youngbae oppa went out.”

 

“Really? Then where’s Ji? He hasn’t come back yet.”

 

“Maybe he went to eat or something” TOP said, dismissing everyone’s curiosity as to where the Dragon is, but he knows though. Well, not really. But he knows that Jiyong is not in the building anymore.

 

TOP went out for a smoke a while ago and when he was done and was going back in the building, he saw Jiyong walking or more like running out.

 

He ran after him and called his name but to no avail. TOP ran fast but Jiyong was faster, his slim built and long legs contributed to his speed and TOP could no longer keep up. TOP got tired and decided to go back. He didn’t know what happened because just a few hours ago it looked like Jiyong was the happiest man but now, he looked broken?

 

Then just a few minutes ago, when he saw Chaerin and Youngbae enter together, he knew. He knew why Jiyong was like that. Of course he can’t be sure what really went down but because it involved a certain Lee Chaerin, then it was serious for Jiyong already.

 

......

 

Jiyong found himself sitting alone in a cute little café quite far from YG. There weren’t many people in the café and the people that were there were old people, so no one really gave any attention to him even if he is exposed. He wasn’t able to wear something that could cover up his identity but he couldn’t care less right now.

 

He was feeling too down to think about his privacy. He has been there for almost an hour and his phone hasn’t stopped vibrating since 20 minutes ago.

 

He checked once in a while who was calling and saw that it would either be TOP or Youngbae, once Teddy.

 

He never answered. He just lets it vibrate until it stops but not even a minute after it stopped, it would vibrate again. He didn’t even have the energy to care.

 

He was actually waiting for her to call but she hasn’t. ‘Maybe she really already changed her mind about us.’ He said to himself. He was a masochistic idiot anyway.

 

He continued to sip on his coffee, enjoying its bitterness because it somehow went with what he was feeling right now.

 

His phone suddenly went alive again, signalling that someone was calling. He was gonna ignore it again but with a glimpse, he saw the name that always made his heart beat faster than normal.

 

‘Hunchae’


Do comment :) Thank you once again for reading! Lots of love.