Chapter 33: The Phone Call

Scared To Death

“Hey Kiko, how’ve you been?” Jiyong asked the beautiful lady sitting in front of him.

 

“I’ve been great Ji, you?” she said casually as she sipped on her juice.

 

Jiyong called her to meet up, not only to tie up loose ends but also to ask for help. She gladly accepted his offer for drinks and now they’re here.

 

“Really good, actually.” Jiyong smiled, remembering his great life right now. He has everything he wanted. Everything he needed. And Chaerin’s face just flashed on his mind, making his smile bigger.

 

Kiko noticed it all and decided to cut to the chase.

 

“Why did you wanna meet up, Ji?”

 

“I just uhh… I wanna clear everything up.” Jiyong said.

 

“Aww. I’m hurt, Ji.” Kiko said looking disappointed. She understood what he wanted to do.

 

Jiyong didn’t know what to say though. He just sat there uncomfortably, not even touching his coffee.

 

“I’m just kidding Ji.” Kiko said while lightly laughing. “I kinda figured a few months back that it’s really over and I got over it.” She continued.

 

“I’m actually seeing someone right now and I’m happy.” She said with a genuine smile on her face. The smile Jiyong would usually see when they were together.

 

“Really? I’m happy for you. I hope you two would live well.” He said, happy that this was going easy. He didn’t want to lose the friendship he had with her.

 

“Aww, thanks Ji. I heard from friends that you’re with someone too. Is she the reason why you’re doing this?” she said.

 

Jiyong chuckled. ‘This girl is still so straightforward’ he thought. “Yeah I am. It’s Chaerin.” He said proudly.

 

Kiko smiled and said “I could guess as much. I’m happy you two got together. Finally, right?” she said, truly happy for her friend. She didn’t hold any grudge against him. She was happy they dated but that’s all just memories now and she’s happy with the present.

 

“Yeah, finally.” Jiyong smiled. “So, that’s actually part of the reason why I called you. I know you might think I’m out of line because of this but it’s really just you that I could think of to help me.” Jiyong said.

 

“Hmm. This sounds interesting. Okay. Tell me what it is and I’ll see what I can do to help.”

 

“Thanks Kiko. Okay so I’m going back to Korea in a couple of days and I wanna do something for Chae.” Jiyong said, happy to have the help of his friend.

 

“Okay. Start talking.” Kiko said, giving him all her attention.

 

“Not here. Let’s go talk in my hotel room. Youngbae’s there.” he said and they left.

 

......

 

“Are you sure that would work, Ji? I mean, don’t you think that’s too much?” Youngbae said after he listened to what Jiyong wanted to do.

 

“Yeah. It would work.” Jiyong said confidently.

 

“Ji, this is not a movie. How the hell do you think can you pull that off?” Kiko said, completely agreeing with Youngbae that Jiyong’s idea was just not possible.

 

He wanted to propose to Chaerin and that’s the reason why he hasn’t been contacting her regularly. He was afraid he would spill any information about it because when they talk he just says everything. Now, he was coming up with events but as the minutes pass, his ideas just got out of hand. Like hacking all broadcast channels so that he could sing her a song he composed about them, or asking the whole airport to conspire with him and cooperate in singling her out and cheering for them when he proposes at the center of the runway and all other crazy stuff.

 

“Ugh! Okay fine. I’ll think of something else. I’m gonna go to the bathroom.” Jiyong said, a bit frustrated that his friends don’t support his ideas.

 

“Hey Kiko, I’ll just be in the balcony, be comfortable and get a drink in the fridge if you want.” Youngbae said as he stepped out of the room to make a phone call. Kiko, gave him a signal saying ‘Ok’.

 

Kiko felt bored when she was left alone in the room so she started to play with her phone. Then she heard something ring.

 

She saw Jiyong’s phone on the table lighting up. She took it and saw ‘Hunchae’ written on the screen with the picture of her while she was sleeping. She looked cute.

 

She hesitated to answer but she thought it would be important so she picked up the call.

 

They talked for a bit and Kiko didn’t even hear the bathroom door opening until Jiyong spoke.

 

“Hey Kik, is that my phone? Who’re you talking to? Have you thought of any ideas?” Jiyong said as she approached her with his hand stretched out to get his phone.

 

“It’s Chae—“ Kiko didn’t finish because she realized the line was cut. Before she could check the screen if the call was cut, the phone was snatched of her hand and the next thing she saw was Jiyong putting the phone on his ear, probably calling her back.

 

“Pick up, pick up, pick up” Jiyong chanted but he heard the ringing stop. Chaerin definitely ended the call.

 

Kiko was just watching Jiyong pace in front of her. Then suddenly Youngbae was beside her, looking at his best friend with curious eyes.

 

“What happened?” he whispered to her.

 

“Chaerin called.” She whispered back.

 

“If Chaerin called then why does he look like that? He’s usually very happy when she calls.” Youngbae said, confused.

 

“Let me clear that up. Chaerin called and I picked it up.” Kiko said with an apologetic face, realizing that what she did may cause misunderstanding.

 

“Ohhhh” Youngbae said with his mouth forming a perfect o shape. He got it. This would definitely cause another misunderstanding.

 

They watched their friend pace and curse in front of them for some time until he finally settled down and sat.

 

“Did you get through?” Youngbae softly asked, not wanting to aggravate Jiyong more.

 

“No. She ended the first call but just ignored the rest.” Jiyong said as he rested his head on top of the sofa’s backrest.

 

“Sorry Ji.” Kiko said, she felt like it was her fault.

 

“It’s not your fault. This is a misunderstanding.” Jiyong said, sounding tired and defeated. “Guys, thanks for giving me your time but I already feel tired right now. Let’s just talk about this next time. You can still hang here if you want.” Jiyong said as he went to the bedroom.

 

Jiyong tried calling her again but all his calls weren’t picked up. So he decided to send her text messages. He sounded pathetic but he didn’t care. All he needed was for her to pick up the damn phone so everything will be cleared up.

 

He smoked and smoked while he waited for her call or text. But after the third stick, he stopped. ‘No point in killing my lungs’.

 

He took his phone and tried calling her again, but still no response.

 

“!” he screamed out of frustration.

 

......

 

Jiyong went out of his room when it was almost 10PM. He looked really tired and rejected. When he passed by the table, he saw a pink post it and underneath it is a white piece of paper with some things written on it.

 

He took the pink paper “Hey Ji, really sorry for causing any misunderstanding. Tried coming up with ideas –K :) ” . He then took the white paper and read.

 

-Buy her flowers. Every girl loves flowers. I heard from someone (Youngbae keke) that she likes white roses

-Knowing Chaerin, she would appreciate anything even if it’s simple so don’t overthink this. I know you would come up with something that would fit the two of you.

-Just be yourself. Whatever you think of doing, just do it with all your heart and I’m sure she’ll accept you. Do it the Kwon Jiyong way. Drop G-Dragon for a while because she loved Kwon Jiyong first before learning to love GD

-Chaerin is the most perfect girl that can match you, so don’t ever let her go or I’ll regret letting you go :P (kidding! I’m over your keke)

Good luck Ji! I know you’ll definitely succeed! Fighting!

(P.S. call me if she says yes :)

 

Jiyong smiled after reading it. It definitely made him feel a little better, knowing he has his friends’ support and everything.

 

Then the perfect idea came to him. Now, all he has to do is clear things up with Chaerin then he can proceed with his plan.

 

It was almost 11PM when he tried calling her again but still to no avail. He decided to call Dara.

 

He felt a bit better when his noona told him that they’ve been practicing and were just finishing now. ‘Maybe that’s why she wasn’t answering her phone’ he said to comfort himself even though deep inside he knows, she really just chose to ignore his calls.

 

It was about midnight when Youngbae came to his room to see how he’s doing only to see his best friend slumped down on the sofa, still with a defeated look.

 

“Hey man, she still ignoring your calls huh?”

 

Jiyong just nodded his head a bit to acknowledge his presence and also to answer his question.

 

Youngbae sat down beside his friend and pat his shoulder. “You should get some sleep Ji. Try again tomorrow huh?”

 

“No, I can’t. I can’t sleep thinking that we’re not okay.”

 

“Just send her a message then. Tell her it’s a misunderstanding.”

 

“I did that. Still no reply.” He said as he placed his hand on his face, massaging his temples.

 

“Maybe she already slept. It’s past 12 now.” Youngbae blurted out every reason he could so that his friend could feel better.

 

Jiyong suddenly had an idea. “Bae, give me your phone.”

 

“Why?” Youngbae asked but was already fishing for his phone to give it to Jiyong.

 

“Let’s find out if she really is asleep.” Jiyong said as he took the phone and dialled her number.

 

He waited as the phone rung, silently wishing that she didn’t pick up so that it would be safe to assume that she was asleep but after the fourth ring, she picked up.

 

“Hello oppa, what’s up?” she sounded tired but she picked up. That actually pricked his heart a bit.

 

 

Jiyong’s POV

 

“Chae” I said, she stayed quiet.

 

I don’t know what came over me but maybe it was the built up frustration, stress and tiredness but I got mad when she picked up the call.

 

“Guess you have time to pick up another man’s call but not mine, huh?” I just carelessly blurted out.

 

I heard her sigh on the other line which just made my irritability grow more. “Ji, I’m tired. Let’s talk tomorrow, please.”

 

I definitely heard the tiredness in her voice but there was something else there and I didn’t wanna think that it was the sound of pain. Hearing this kind of voice from her totally changed my mood. I felt apologetic for what I said and come to think of it there was still this misunderstanding that we have to solve but I felt like now’s not the right time since both of us didn’t have a clear mind.

 

“Okay. I’m sorry for what I said I was just stressed. What happened earlier is a misunderstanding. Please believe that. I love you Chaerin. Only you. Always.”  I said what was on my heart and mind and I meant every word.

 

Pause.

 

“Okay oppa. Good night.” I heard her say, still with that voice and it pained me.

 

“Please promise me that you’ll pick up my call tomorrow.” I said feeling a bit defeated that she was still like that and that I didn’t hear the words I wanted, no, I needed to hear.

 

She paused for a bit but I can still hear her breathing on the other line. “I promise. Let’s sleep now oppa. I know you’re tired too. Let’s talk tomorrow.”

 

“Good night Hunchae…” I said, totally feeling down that our conversation didn’t change anything.

 

But when I heard her say what she said next I felt like the weight of the world was taken from my shoulders.

 

“I love you too, oppa.” Teeet.

 

That’s when I felt like everything will be okay. I just need her to love me and I would be able to do anything.

 

I felt a small smile plastered on my face when I returned the phone to Youngbae who eyed me curiously.

 

“So, judging from that smile on your face, I’m guessing you two are okay now?” He asked me.

 

“I think so?” I said, now realizing that we weren’t really totally okay since we didn’t talk about it yet. When I saw him crease his forehead I added “She said she loves me.”

 

“But we already know that.” Youngbae said, chuckling.

 

I chuckled lightly too, “Yeah, but hearing her say it is something else.” I said remembering the sound of her voice.

 

“Okaaaay. Whatever you say. So, since you’re okay now, you don’t need me anymore. I’ll see you later this morning. Night Ji.” Youngbae said as he stepped out of my room.


Thank you for reading and supporting this story! I hope you're still liking it :)