Chapter 11: A Song For You

Scared To Death

“I do. *sigh… but I highly doubt that she likes me.” Youngbae said as he chuckled softly. He knew Chaerin still had feelings for Jiyong. She was just good at hiding it, but not from him.

 

“I think she might like you too.” Jiyong said feeling defeated.

 

Youngbae was confused.

 

“Huh? Why would you think that?”

 

“I saw it, you know.”

 

“You saw what?”

 

“I saw you hug and kiss her that day.”

 

“What? What are you talking about Ji?”

 

“Remember the time we went to a club and then the next thing I knew was she was there, drinking.” Jiyong said as he closed his eyes and leaned his head back on the backrest of the sofa.

 

“Oh that…” Youngbae said as he remembered that day.

 

“Yeah. When you guys left, I was pissed. I decided to go home but I ended up following you guys. Huh.” Jiyong lightly chuckled as he said that, remembering the night he was bitter and all.

 

“So you saw huh?” Youngbae said

 

“Yeah. Everything.”

 

“Yeah. But I did those. She didn’t. So it doesn’t really mean she likes me.” Youngbae reasoned.

 

“But she let you do it. That counts for something… but what I’m really curious about is why you stopped at the side of the road for like 20 minutes or something. What happened?” Jiyong said now, looking at Youngbae.

 

“Ahh. That’s when she told me. When she told me why she was being like that.”

 

“And you’re really not gonna tell me huh?” Jiyong sadly said.

 

“Sorry man. Really not my place.”

 

“I understand.”

 

 

 

“Wow. What the hell is happening guys?” Teddy suddenly asked them. He was just sitting there the whole time they were talking. It was like he wasn’t even there at all since no one paid him any attention.

 

They were both shocked by his voice and looked at him strangely.

 

“Wow hyung, I didn’t know you were such a gossiper.” Youngbae said, trying to lighten up the mood.

 

“Really guys? This is my studio just in case you didn’t notice and I was here the whole ing time and you didn’t even notice me. I’m hurt.” He said going with the flow that Youngbae created since the mood that Jiyong was emitting was so strong that it could kill all happy things. He decided that he would ask Youngbae what happened some other time.

 

“Aww. Come on, hyung. Don’t be such a girl.” Youngbae said, trying to act cute.

 

“Alright alright. Stop. Please. Ji can you help us with Youngbae’s song? You’re the one who knows him best so you would be able to tell what will fit.”

 

“Okay hyung. I’ll try my best.” Jiyong said softly.

 

“Hey now, just because your girl likes Youngbae doesn’t mean you won’t help him.” Teddy said teasingly but that just earned him a sad expression from Jiyong and a blushing Youngbae who was trying to defend himself.

 

“Yah hyung. Don’t give Jiyong anymore ideas or I’m afraid he’ll lock himself in his room and not work and that would be a big problem for everyone.” Youngbae said, half joking.

 

“I won’t. Don’t worry.” Jiyong said while smiling slightly.

 

He had to think of work first. This thing about Chaerin was really draining him and it was not healthy at all. He decided to work first to clear his mind so he could think better.

 

They worked in Teddy’s studio since they were there anyway and it was all set up there. And in just a span of 2 hours, Jiyong was able to make 3 songs.

 

 

“Wow man. Wow. These songs really… really fit your whole aura right now.” Youngbae said. He was in awe that his friend made songs in just that span of time but the songs he made were just hella depressing.

 

One song talked about how a girl was with a guy right now, maybe dating and stuff like that while the other guy was reminiscing about their past and everything. The next song was so hateful. It was about wanting to kill someone to be more specific the guy in the first song who was with the girl. The third song was actually quite decent. It was about a guy just basically saying sorry and everything to a girl who left him.

 

And of course the three of them knew what inspired Jiyong to write these songs.

 

 

 

Jiyong was recording the third song he wrote while Teddy was mixing up tunes and doing his thing while Youngbae just listened to Jiyong. He can feel his emotions and he felt really bad for his friend but what can he do.

 

The three of them were too busy and immersed in their own stuff that they didn’t hear the door open. Two people already entered and still the three of them gave no s.

 

After singing the song, Jiyong opened his eyes and the first thing he saw was a blurry vision of the girl he was dedicating the song to. He smiled to himself thinking it was just a vision and decided to brush it off. He just thought that Chaerin was just always in his mind until…

 

“Ji, come out. YG is here. He’s with… Chaerin.” he heard Teddy say.

 

His head shot up and he immediately saw the said girl. He wasn’t hallucinating after all. There she was, standing beside YG wearing the clothes she wore this morning. He smiled, he missed her. He immediately went out the booth and bowed to YG.

 

“Hi Chae.” Jiyong said as he faced Chaerin. She just nodded her head at him as an acknowledgement.

 

“That’s a good song you just sang there Jiyong. Did you make that?” YG asked

 

“Ahh. Yes hyung. We just decided to try it out.” Jiyong said while rubbing his nape.

 

“Sajangnim. Did you know he made that just a while ago? Along with two other songs.” Teddy said

 

“Really? Well, its Jiyong.” YG said proudly.

 

“Ani. It’s just that I had inspiration that’s all.” Jiyong said while looking directly at Chaerin who was looking at everything else except him.

 

Chaerin could feel his stare but she just can’t bring herself to look at him, especially after she heard him sing that song. She didn’t hear the whole song but she got the message of it and she didn’t know what to feel. Of course she had the idea that it was for her but she can be wrong. She didn’t want to assume. She didn’t want to expect because she believes that the more you expect, the more you will be disappointed.

 

“Ah really? Is it some Japanese model we’re talking about here?” YG asked and just like that the temperature in the room dropped.

 

 

Chaerin felt like she was slapped right across the face. Of course it wasn’t for her. ‘Gosh, what was I thinking anyway?’ she thought.

 

Teddy and Youngbae didn’t say anything. They waited for Jiyong to defend himself but it looked like he was having a hard time as well.

 

“NO!” Jiyong almost shouted which caused YG to chuckle.

 

“Okay, okay. Don’t get mad.” YG said.

 

“It’s really not. Believe me.” Jiyong said the best way he could to be convincing.

 

He was saying it more to Chaerin rather than to YG anyway. He was looking directly at her but YG couldn’t see that since he was now busy checking the track in the computer.

 

“Believe me.” Jiyong said softly. Directing it to Chaerin, who still now was not looking at him but looking down.

 

 

“Anyway. Good track Jiyong. We should put it in your album or in Bigbang’s.” YG said with finality, now turning to the direction of Chaerin and Jiyong.

 

“Sajangnim. Why are you here? And with Chaerin?” Youngbae asked and Jiyong was thankful for it since he was curious as well.

 

“Ah yes. Well, I just wanted to check on 2NE1’s album actually. That’s why Chaerin is here with me as well” YG said as he sat on the sofa followed by Chaerin. Then, Jiyong sat next to Chaerin.

 

“And since you’re both here then I would just inform you two as well since I think you might want to be updated too.” YG continued.

 

 

 

YG talked about 2ne1’s album and concert details. The girls already know the things they were talking about that’s why they weren’t there. YG was just updating the two males present because they also play an active role in 2NE1.

 

While YG was talking, Jiyong was staring at Chaerin but he was also listening intently at what was being said. It was only this time that he had that much information about her and he was happy. He knew when she was gonna be busy, when she would be free, where she would be and all the things he needed and wanted to know. He was very grateful to YG right now.

 

After telling every detail that was needed to be said. YG ended by saying, “You two should go to their concert here. It would be nice.”

 

“Definitely.” Jiyong responded a bit too eagerly which didn’t go past Chaerin. He was too close for her comfort.

 

“Okay, so now that everything’s settled I’ll be going first. Work hard and take care kids.” YG said and he just stood up and left.

 

As soon as the door closed, Chaerin stood up too and bowed to all of them.

 

“I’ll be going first.” She said as he hurriedly went to the door but before she could reach it he heard someone talk.

 

“Stay for a while Chaerin.” Teddy said.

 

She turned around to see the three of them looking at her.

 

“Why?” she asked 

 

“I want you to listen to some songs first. Then you can go. This might help you in your song writing.”

 

Chaerin thought about it then nodded her head. She went to sit on the couch again but on the other side. The opposite side from where Jiyong sat. As soon as she sat down, Jiyong let out a sigh. He wanted to be beside her but he knew he still couldn’t.

 

Teddy clicked some buttons on his computer and after a few seconds a sound was playing. It was unfamiliar to Chaerin. She hasn’t heard this before so she decided to pay attention. The song continued and it was Youngbae’s voice she heard. She thought that this might be his single and what they were working on before.

 

She nodded her head to the beat and at the same time also understanding the lyrics of the song. It was sad. Too sad. It was beautiful though. It expressed the right emotions and she could really feel the pain in the voice and the lyrics too were just so heart-breaking. The arrangement of the song was superb. The transitions of the verses were cleanly done and she made a mental note that she would buy this if this comes out as a single.

 

After the song was done, all eyes were on her.

 

“So, what do you think?” Teddy asked.

 

“Was that Youngbae oppa’s solo? Great voice oppa and I think that it’s really good. It feels like it was recently done but still good. It was so sad though. But I think those things really happen so it was also realistic and people would relate to it even if it was close to depressing. Who wrote that?” she asked them. No one said anything.

 

“Listen to this first, before we tell you.” Teddy said as he clicked play.

 

Music flooded the room again and everyone fell silent. She immediately recognized the voice that was playing. It was Jiyong. She didn’t want to listen anymore but the beat got her hooked. She listened intently too, just like what she did with the first song. This song was sad too but it was more hateful than sad. The lyrics were strong. It was obvious that it was really from a man’s perspective and it would be weird to sing this type of song to the public since it was filled with hate. But it was Jiyong after all. He did all crazy things and the people loved it.

 

The song was done and she wasn’t sure how to critic it.

 

They all were looking at her again as if asking her to say what she was thinking. She avoided their gazes but she knew she had no way out. She was just stalling right now.

 

“So…?” she heard Teddy ask.

 

“Uhhh… yeah… it’s a good song. But, I don’t think that it would be a good idea to sing it to the public since it’s too filled with hate and darkness. But that’s just me. But then again on the other hand, the public might love it.” She honestly said.

 

“Ahh. Filled with hate and darkness huh?” Teddy restated what she said while nodding his head.

 

“Yeah. I think so too. Thanks for your input Chaerin-ah. I’ll see what I can do to make it better.” Jiyong now spoke.

 

That shocked Chaerin and she looked at his direction to find him looking at her.

 

Jiyong smiled “Yeah, I wrote it.”

 

“Mhhmm.” Chaerin hummed as she nodded her head. She didn’t know what else to say.

 

 

“So, yeah… Chaerin! Your birthday’s coming!!!” Teddy said since nobody spoke.

 

“Yeah!! Two more dayssss!” Youngbae cheered too.

 

Chaerin chuckled. “Yeah. So uhh, I decided to celebrate my birthday in our house. I just wanted to spend time with the family and some friends. So you all should come if you’re not busy and if you want to. It’s nothing big or anything.”

 

“We’ll definitely be there. Right Ji?” Youngbae said.

 

“Only if she wants me to.” Jiyong said

 

“You should all come. Maybe I’ll cook some of the food if there’s time.” She said

 

“Now, we’ll definitely go.” Teddy said, smiling.

 

 

Chaerin excused herself from them and went out first. She didn’t actually have any other things to do but she didn’t want to stay there anymore.

 

When Chaerin left, Jiyong let out a groan.

 

“What is it man?” Youngbae asked.

 

“I was so ing occupied about stuff that I didn’t even realize her birthday’s coming. God!!!!” he almost screamed.

 

“It’s still in two days man. And she doesn’t know that. Don’t beat yourself too much. “Teddy said while looking at his friend helplessly. Jiyong was really in too deep.

 

Jiyong’s phone vibrated. He received a message.

 

‘Jiyong, you have a schedule. Two days from now. You have a schedule overseas. I’ll send you more information later.’- Manager

 

 

“FUUUUUUUCCCKKKKK!!!!!!” now he really screamed.

 

Youngbae received a similar message with his name on it so he knew why his friend became ten times more frustrated than he already was.