Chapter 5: A Mistake

Scared To Death

“What?! You and Jiyong had and he said it was a mistake?! What the was he thinking!?” Youngbae said angrily. He was now mad not just because he found out that the girl he likes had with his best friend but more because Jiyong said it was a mistake. ‘Doesn’t he know how lucky he is to be able to go that far with her?! God. I’m gonna ing knock some sense into him!’ he said to himself, still raging.

 

“He said it to you? To your face?” he continued, still mad.

 

“No oppa, I… I he-heard hi-im. He said it to K-Kiko.” Chaerin was back to sobbing now.

 

“What the hell happened, Chae?” Youngbae said with a voice a lot gentler than what he used a while ago.

 

 

Flashback 2010

 

Chaerin’s POV

 

“Come on Oppa, please teach mee~~” I said with all cuteness I could find in me but still to no avail. He didn’t even look back at me.

 

“I’m really sorry Chae. I really wish I could help you right now but I’m just so busy. I’m really sorry.” Oppa said while still clicking away at his desktop.

 

I sulked at the sofa because he was the only one who could help me out in this and I didn’t know who else to go to.

 

“Just for a bit Oppa, just a tiny, tiny part of your time. Pretty please with cherries on top.” I tried again.

 

“Haha. Really Chae, that almost worked buuuuut I really can’t. I’m sorry. Why don’t you go and ask Jiyong for help. I’m sure he’ll say yes.” Teddy oppa said, he now turned around and smirked at me with playful eyes. “Go on Chae, you really need help right? He’s at his studio right now.” He said as he ushered me towards the door.

 

“But oppa—“ he shut the door at my face. Hul! ‘God please help me’.

 

 

 

I was so nervous, I was tapping my phone with my thumb while pacing back and forth in front of his studio. It has been weeks since we talked properly and also that long since we did it.

 

I wasn’t planning on meeting him anytime soon but YG asked me to go to him so he could help me and teach me about writing songs since I would be comfortable because we were close. If YG only knew.

 

Of course even if YG already told me to ask help from him, I still went first to Teddy oppa since I couldn’t face this certain man just yet.

 

I finally gathered all my courage and told myself to keep cool since I was doing my work and just be professional. Personal dramas aside.

 

I turned the knob and was about to fully open the door when I heard him talking. ‘Was he with someone right now?’ I asked myself. I pushed the door slightly to see and I saw his back facing the door. He was talking to someone on the phone. ‘Whew’. A sudden rush of relief ran in me because I thought he was with Kiko or some chick. That relief turned into cold air that ran in my body when I heard what he said next.

 

 

“It was a mistake. A big mistake that shouldn’t have happened. I shouldn’t have been careless like that.” He said with a voice filled with regret.

 

“I’m so sorry babe. Really. I just wanted to come clean to you. It’s you that I love it was just a mistake I made when I was drunk. It meant nothing.” He continued. His voice soft and sounded like he was about to cry. I knew I was about to cry because I just heard the man I love tell someone else he loved her and because I kind of already had an idea what they were talking about. I was still rooted at my place still holding the knob trying to steady myself because I felt so weak and I was starting to shake.

 

“I’m really sorry babe. Please believe me. I love you. Not her, not Chaerin. Just you. Please believe me babe. It was just a mistake.”

 

That shattered me to the core. It was now crystal clear. I was right. They were talking about that time. He said it was a mistake when I felt like that was the most right thing I did. He said he didn’t love me when I already gave him my heart. He said it meant nothing when it meant the world to me. He broke me with that.

 

I was feeling nauseous and my stomach was churning. I felt water touch my skin and I realized I was already crying. I ran to the bathroom and went straight to a cubicle. I was shaking with tears. My heart was hurt, my head was spinning and my stomach was turning. I felt every pain. I opened the toilet and I vomited. I felt sick. I thought of that night and I felt sicker. I was disgusted with myself. How could I give myself to a person who doesn’t love me? ‘God , I’m so stupid.’

 

I stayed in the restroom for a good thirty minutes before gathering myself. I washed my mouth and my face, making sure that there was no trace of tears there or whatsoever.

 

I walked out of the restroom with a head held high determined to be a stronger person. I promised myself to be stronger and be better and independent. I won’t rely on anyone again.

 

 

--End of POV—

 

 

Chaerin wasn’t crying anymore. She just looked straight ahead while Youngbae was still looking at her. He didn’t know what to say. She just stayed quiet after telling him her story.

 

“Chae, are you sure he said that? I mean—“

 

“Let’s go home now Oppa, it’s really late and you still have to go back and pick up Jiyong.” She said flatly. And with that Youngbae drove to her dorm. Youngbae didn’t push the issue because he was still digesting it. He was wondering why Jiyong said that. The ride was so quiet. Chaerin felt a little relieved now because she had shared her problem. Youngbae’s mind was filled with thoughts and questions. ‘Why did Ji say that? Didn’t he love her? Is he really serious with Kiko? What the ’s happening?’

 

Questions were still running in his mind and he didn’t notice he had already parked the car in front of her dorm.

 

“Thanks oppa. Drive safe, okay? Text me when you get home.” Chaerin said as she went out the car and shut the door. Youngbae stayed still for a while then…

 

“Wait Chae!” He shouted as he also went out of his car. He didn’t know what got into him. She was just about ten steps away from his car. He walked to her and he hugged her. He hugged her tight and they were at the middle of the road.

 

“If ever you need anyone just call me okay? I’m just here. Always.” He said as he let her go. He gave her a squeeze on the shoulder then he kissed her forehead. As he did that, she froze in her spot. The kiss lingered a little too long so she stepped back. She looked up to him and said “Tha-anks Op-pa” then she turned and hurriedly left.

 

When she was out of sight, it was like reality was slapped back into Youngbae. ‘What the did I do?’ he asked himself. ‘Oh my God! Did I just hug and kiss her. !’ he looked around to see if anyone was there and he was glad that it was still too early for anyone to be there. He sighed in relief as he went back to his car. He thought he was safe and nobody saw but he was wrong. Dead wrong.