Chapter 12: Her Birthday

Scared To Death

“Whoooo. Happy birthday Chaerinnie~~!!” Dara said as she raised her glass.

 

They were in a very long table placed at the center of the living room. The house was decorated well. Sandara was good at events like this and Chaerin was thankful for that. Most of her close friends were there. 2ne1 girls were there.  Xin, Harin, some YG dancers, Teddy and some other close friends. Even Jay was there, which was quite a surprise for some since they didn’t know he and Chaerin were close.

 

Chaerin actually already knew that Jiyong and Youngbae wouldn’t be able to make it since BIGBANG received a last minute schedule so they all couldn’t be there. She was a bit disappointed really since she also wanted to spend her birthday with her BIGBANG oppas but time wouldn’t permit. Things like this happened to them all the time.

 

She was sitting between Bom and Dara. They were all just chatting and having fun and Chaerin was actually having a great time. Everyone ate well and was there ‘til late. They had a little dance party and some people were already drunk which was funny especially Lydia since she was really getting down on the dance floor. While the party was still on-going Chaerin’s phone rang.

 

She checked the caller and immediately answered her phone.

 

“Hello?” she said in a loud voice since the music was booming

 

“Hey Chae!!! Happy happy birthday!!!” Youngbae said loudly from the other line.

 

“Thanks oppa!!! How are you doing there?” she asked

 

“We’re all okay here. But what about you Chae? How’s the party? It’s really a bummer that we can’t be there.”

 

“Yeah oppa. Really. I really wish you were all here.”

 

“Well, we just have to make another celebration for us! Haha”

 

“Oppa, you sound really happy. Haha”

 

“Of course! It’s your birthday!”

 

“Aww. Thanks oppa. Really. For remembering and caring and everything”

 

“Of course Chaerinnie!! Anyway, I gotta go. They’re looking for me. Take care! Don’t drink too much! Bye Chae!”

 

“Bye oppa! Take care!”

 

The call was ended. It wasn’t even 5 seconds that passed when her phone rang again. She chuckled thinking that Youngbae forgot to tell her something and called again. She answered without looking at her phone.

 

“Yes, oppa, what is it?”

 

Silence.

 

“Hello?” she asked then looked at her phone screen. It said Jiyong.

 

‘’

 

“Chae” she heard someone on the phone say and sure enough, it really was Jiyong.

 

“Yes-s?” she asked in a shaky voice. She suddenly became nervous.

 

“Happy birthday Chae. I hope you’re having a great time.”

 

“Thanks. I hope you’re having a good time there too.”

 

“Not really…” he said softly.

 

Silence enveloped them.

 

 

‘Chaeriniee! Come inside! They want you here!’

 

Jiyong heard someone on the phone say.

 

He creased his forehead. ‘That voice sounds so familiar’, he thought.

 

It was a man’s voice, which made him extra curious.

 

“Uhh. Yeah… I gotta go. Thanks for the greeting and I hope you’re all okay there… take care. Bye.” Chaerin said hurriedly and ended the call before he could say anything else.

 

Jiyong still had his phone on his ear and he was still thinking of whose voice he heard.

 

 

Tik tok. Tik tok. Tik tok. TING!

 

 

Jay’ he breathed out.

 

He was there. Jay was there right now. He was with Chaerin right now.

 

It stung Jiyong’s heart.

 

Now he was really pissed. At no one in particular but at their schedule. Talk about bad timing.

 

And they weren’t even gonna come back home soon. They were still gonna be there for about 3 more days and it was killing him inside. He felt like they’ve been there for years already.

 

He didn’t know if he should call her again but he had the feeling she wouldn’t pick up anymore. So he just decided to send a message. He was sure she wouldn’t reply though but whatever.

 

He sent the message and still waited for her to reply but as he thought, she didn’t.

 

 

 

"Who were you talking to?" Jay asked Chaerin as she entered the house again. The party was still continuing.

 

"No one Oppa." Chaerin said as she smiled sweetly to Jay hoping that he wouldn't ask more. But Jay smirked towards her. 'Uh oh'

 

"Jiyong huh?" he asked while still smirking.

 

"Tsk. Whatever oppa." 

 

"What happened between you two, Chae? I'm really curious as hell. It's like you two just stopped being close in an instant."

 

"Huh? What are you talking about oppa? Nothing happened. We're just both busy that's why we don't talk much anymore."

 

"Really? Then how come you can find the time to hang out with me?" he asked playfully.

 

"Wahhh oppa, so are you saying that you don't like hanging out with me? Ouch. I'm hurt." she said jokingly.

 

"Tsk.Chae, you know that's not what I meant" he said while patting her head. "But in all seriousness, I think you should talk to Jiyong, like really talk. When we met that day in your apartment, it feels like he really wants to get your friendship back, you know, but you were as cold as ice to him. And I think the problem is that he also doesn't know what he did wrong and I think that's unfair to him because I really believe he wants to make it up to you or atleast he wants to make ammends or something. I think you should give him a chance Chae." Jay said sincerely.

 

Chaerin listened to everything he said. It was only this time that Jay had adviced her about Jiyong that's why it surprised her. It also touched her that Jay really cared about her and her relationships with other people. Actually, what Jay said to Jiyong before about him pursuing Chaerin was true. He tried pursuig Chaerin before but Chaerin told him that their friendship is more important that's why she turned him down. After that, Jay actually never tried again and to be honest, he didn't want to anymore because he just knows that its not him that can give Chaerin genuine happiness, its Jiyong. He only told Jiyong before that he was going to pursue Chaerin again so that Jiyong would step his game up and be brave to take his relationship with Chaerin to the next level. But looking at it now, he feels that there is a bigger problem between the two. He feels like Chaerin is hiding something that's why she isn't giving in to Jiyong when it was already as clear as crystal that Jiyong loves her.

 

"Let's join the others oppa." That's all Chaerin said to him and Jay didn't pester her anymore because he sensed that she didn't want to talk about it and also because its her birthday and he wants her to be happy.

 

He sighed and nodded his head. He wished that Chaerin would find her happiness soon because it's the only that he can totally get over her. He is actually doing a pretty good job in trying to get over her but he needs to see her happy so he can finally let go of the last string he is holding on to. But right now, he is happy with their friendship. Having Chaerin as a friend is really refreshing because she has her own personality which is really attractive for him.

 

 

 

The party continued ‘til past midnight and it was also the same time that they’re album was out so it was kind of like a double celebration. Everybody had a blast and they were all spent when they left the girl’s place. Bom was drunk and Dara already passed out in her room. So it only leaves Minzy, Chaerin and well, Jay too since he volunteered to stay and help them clean up a little.

 

After about 20 minutes of fast cleaning, they decided to continue later since it was already 5AM and they were tired as .

 

Chaerin offered Jay to sleep there but he said he had to go to their office since he had something to do. She was too tired to convince him so she just let him go.

 

 

When Chaerin was already on her bed, she decided to check her phone and see if there was something important sent to her.

 

She had tons of messages. Friends all over the world greeted her. Messages, voicemails, missed calls.

 

She was too tired to check each of them now so she decided to check it later but as she was about to turn her phone off she saw an attachment. She was curious so she opened it.

 

As soon as she opened it, a melody played. She listened and the tone was familiar. Then when a person sang, she remembered.

 

It was Jiyong’s song. The one he sang in the booth the other day. Jiyong was singing live. It sounded like he was playing the piano. Chaerin closed her eyes and listened carefully to the lyrics of the song and she couldn’t help but let out a tear.

 

It was so touching. So real. She felt his emotions. She felt the sincerity. It was overwhelming. She listened ‘til the song ended.

 

She thought it was over but then Jiyong spoke.

 

“Happy birthday Chae. I really wish I could have spent your birthday with you. I didn’t know what to get you for your birthday since I wanted to give you everything and I know you wouldn’t accept that much so this is my gift to you. I made this for you Chae. Only for you. Happy birthday Chae. I… I…” –teeet-

 

It ended.

 

She was crying now. Emotions flooded her. She wanted to hear what he had to say before the recording ended. She wanted to see him right now. She wanted to hear his voice again. It was like she wanted to throw away all hard feelings. She wanted so much right now.

 

But right now, she did the only thing she could. She sent him a message.

 

Jiyong oppa… thank you. I appreciate your gift. Please take care of your health well…” That’s all she could say. She didn’t want to say something she would regret later. She wasn’t sure about what she was feeling now. She didn’t want to be carried away.