Chapter 2: Frustrations

Scared To Death

A few days have passed since the day of their meeting and neither Jiyong nor Chaerin saw each other again. Chaerin considered this a good thing but it was the total opposite for Jiyong. He has been trying to contact Chaerin non-stop. He wanted to talk to her. He wanted to know what was going on with her right now. He wanted to know if she had any problems so he could help her. He just simply wanted to know everything concerning her. He was already done with trying to save whatever kind of relationship they have right now by giving her space. He has given her more than enough time and space. Now, he just wanted to be back in her life because ever since THAT time, he felt that he was already cut off from her life. Ever since THAT time, he felt like there was already a big, thick wall between them that she had put up. He thought that they were already good with each other. He thought that he could bring back their close friendship. But boy, he couldn’t be more wrong.

 

He tried to understand her at first. He tried to be a good ‘friend’ and respect what she is doing but now he’s just simply done, done of trying to understand. It has been four years already and he’s had enough. He wanted her back. He didn’t know yet if he wanted her back as a friend or more than that but all he knew is that he wanted her back.

 

GD POV

“Ugh!!! Why is this so frustrating?!!” I scream out my frustration. I couldn’t keep it in anymore. I was in my studio anyway so it’s safe. But I was with my members and I’m sure I startled them with my sudden outburst since they all stopped whatever they were doing and looked at me.

 

“You okay dude?” My best friend, Youngbae asked me.

 

I looked at him with tired and sad eyes while shaking my head. “No man, I’m actually not okay.” I said with a really tired and soft voice.

 

All my members shifted in their seats and leaned a bit forward to show that they were giving me all their attention. “What’s bothering you man? Tell us and we’ll try to help.” TOP said in his usual low voice.

 

I was glad to have my members with me, I was glad that there was a time just like this that we could just hang out. Well, actually we were still working but at least we were working together in one place. That made working a whole lot better. Now, showing me that they really cared about me made me even more grateful to have them in my life not just as members of our group but as brothers, as family.

 

I let out a sigh and smile at them gently “I just… It’s just… I just need some air.” I said as I made my way out of the studio.

 

I walked down the hallway of YG not really sure where I was going to go but I guess I really needed some air after all since I found myself at the rooftop.

 

--End of POV—

 

When their leader walked out of the studio, the members looked at each other somewhat knowing why their leader is acting that way.

 

“So, I see he already decided to man up huh?” The eldest in the group stated.

 

“If he did, then he better do it fast because I was thinking of doing it for him.” Youngbae said gaining shocked looks from the other three members. “What? You all know I kinda had this small crush on her ever since and that falling out she had with Jiyong made us closer to each other. She didn’t have anyone to man up for her then, so I decided that maybe I should now.” Youngbae said seriously.

 

“Hyung, are you serious right now? You know that Jiyong hyung is very possessive of her right?” The maknae asked.

 

“I know but like I said, if he decided to man up for her then he better do it fast ‘cause I’m not the only one waiting for her. Aaaand I’m not saying I would steal her from Jiyong or anything, I’m just saying that Jiyong should get his act straight. It’s been what, like, four years already for Christ’s sake!” Youngbae said.

 

“Yeah. Youngbae is right. He better do this right this time cause if not he will really get it from me.” TOP said and the others agreed and with that they went back to doing their work while waiting for the return of their leader.

 

 

Jiyong and Chaerin were actually very close back then. Many even assumed that they were dating but they never did date. They were just really close friends. But you couldn’t blame anyone if they assumed that they were a couple since their closeness and actions towards each other really indicated it. They were even constantly asked by YG if they were dating but they really weren’t. Then sometime around 2010 they just suddenly stopped being close. No more late nights at the studio. No more hanging out with just the two of them. Actually even if others were around, you wouldn’t see them talk to each other. No more shopping together and eating out. Just plain NO MORE in everything.

 

Nobody really knew what went down between them. Many asked but they weren’t given any reply at all or were they were just shrugged off. And up ‘til now, nobody still knew what happened. Well, except for Chaerin and Dara.

 

GD POV

I’m in the rooftop feeling the soft breeze hit my face. It felt nice. I should be out more often. I was always in my studio that now I already forgot the feeling of the wind.

 

As I was enjoying the weather, I couldn’t help but think back to the day we had the meeting.

 

I was actually looking forward to the day of the meeting because it meant that I would be able to see her for a long period of time and she wouldn’t have a chance to make an excuse to get away from me. I noticed that she has been doing that and I don’t like it. Every time we are ‘coincidentally’ in a place together, she would always come up with reasons to leave. She even once reasoned that she had diarrhea so she needed to go home. Really, the lengths she goes through just to avoid me. Sigh. ‘What happened to us Chae-ah?’ I can’t help but always ask that question to myself.

 

 

 Flashback 2009

“Hi Oppa!” I heard a sweet, husky voice greet me as I heard the door of Teddy’s studio close. I didn’t need to turn to see who spoke because I would recognize that voice anywhere.

 

“Hi Chaerin-ah. So are you ready for our collab stage on SBS Gayo Daejun?” I asked her as she was getting comfortable on the couch situated behind the desktop I was at.

 

“Ahhh. Yes Oppa. But I’m still a bit worried since you know, I’ll be performing with the Great G-DRAGON and I will also be performing your song! Oh my gahhh. I hope I don’t mess up...” She said while cutely pouting. I chuckled while looking at her ‘sad’ face because she was just too cute and she wasn’t even trying. Sigh. This girl doesn’t know her charm.

 

“Chae-ah, you know you can do it. I believe in you that’s why I trust that you would do my song justice and also put your own flavour to it.” I said so I could somewhat relieve some pressure that she was feeling and I think it worked since she looked up and smiled at me. Oh that smile I love to see.

 

“Thanks Oppa! You really are the best! You always know how to cheer me up! No wonder many girls love you. No wonder Kiko-unnie loves you.” She said in a happy tone and that wiped the smile off my face. Kiko. My girlfriend. Yes. I have a girlfriend. We have been dating for months now. I didn’t even know how we ended up dating at all. It was just supposed to be a casual thing since well, she’s a pretty hot girl but many misunderstood our relationship and assumed us as girlfriend and boyfriend. I found it tiring to have to explain that we weren’t, so I didn’t see the harm in not denying it anymore and since then we just decided to date. I wasn’t really thinking much into it back then but why is it that when it was this specific girl in front of me that talked about my relationship, I found the need to make it clear to her and defend myself that we weren’t dating. Every time she brings Kiko up in our conversations I get overly defensive and convince her that we weren’t anything serious and she would just nod her head but I always knew she didn’t really believe me.

 

“Chae, you know that Kiko and I are nothing serious right?” I asked her with a serious face and tone.

 

She looked at me and smiled weirdly “Yah Oppa, why are you always denying your relationship to me when it’s obvious that you two are dating. I mean, you’ve been dating for months now and it’s not my business anyway if you two are serious or not.” She said flatly.

 

“Just wanted to let you know so you won’t think that I’ll be marrying her or something like that.” I said, still looking directly at her but she was now busy with her phone. And as I was about to say something more the door opened and revealed a tall man wearing a hood under his cap.

 

“Hi Teddy-Oppa!” Chaerin said gleefully. Sigh. I really envy hyung. He has Chaerin as a fangirl and she isn’t even shy about it. She said it to the whole world for like a million times already. I wonder when you’ll be my fangirl too. Sigh.

 

“Hi Chaeriniee. Oh Jiyong what are you thinking about? Looks like you’re about to drill a hole in the floor with the intensity of your glare.” I heard hyung speak.

 

“Oh, nothing hyung. I was just thinking of our performance on SBS.” I said as he took a chair and sat beside me to look at what I was doing on the computer.

 

“Oh, I see. Let’s work on it then. Aren’t you gonna perform with 2ne1 and isn’t Chaerin gonna sing your song?” He asked as he looked back at me and then at Chaerin who was now sitting attentively on the chair listening to us.

 

“Yes oppa. We’re gonna perform together. That’s why I’m here. I need to record for Jiyong-oppa’s song.” She said standing up, preparing to go to the booth. She really changes when she is in her work mode. No hint of cuteness from her right now., just pure charisma and swag. Its CL right now.

 

“Okay then, go inside the booth and prepare yourself while we prepare the track.” Teddy hyung said. And with that Chaerin entered the booth and I saw her wear the headphones and prepare herself for the recording.

 

“You should tell her before it’s too late.” I heard Teddy hyung talk. I looked at him confused. Was he talking to me? I looked around the studio and found that we were the only ones there.

 

“Yah. I’m talking to you, stupid!” He said as he lightly smacked the back of my head.

 

“Hyung, what was that for?” I said as I held the part of my head he hit.

 

“That’s for being a confused and for ignoring my statement. I said you should tell her before it’s too late.” Hyung now spoke seriously. He found the track and was about to play it but before he did, he looked at me right in the eye and said “You’ll regret it if you let this one go, Ji.”

 

And with that my song played and I thought long and hard about what hyung said. I’m not stupid. I know he was talking about Chaerin. I know I liked Chaerin but I didn’t know to what extent. I had just always assumed that I liked her as a dongsaeng since she was really talented and I recognize every talent she had. But recently I also have been questioning myself about my feelings for her.

 

I decided to brush that idea off for the time being since I have some other things to think about. After a few repeats of Chaerin singing my song, it was done. It was better than I expected and believe me, I already expected a lot. I felt really happy while she was singing my song since it felt like we shared something, like it was OUR song. I found myself smiling like an idiot when her recording was done and was only brought back to reality when I felt a nudge from my side and saw a grinning Teddy. “What are you smiling at, huh?” he asked me as he raised his eyebrow. I know he already knew the answer so I just kept quiet. The day went by fast and I was happy that I spent it with her even if it wasn’t just us and we were actually working but to feel her presence was really soothing. ‘Oh, what the hell am I talking about? She’s my dongsaeng and I have a girlfriend.’ I said that to myself but who am I kidding really. I liked Chaerin and that’s that.

 

 

 

I was brought back to the present when I heard the door of the rooftop open. I turned to look at who came and I was surprised to see that it was none other than the girl I was trying so hard to reach for the past… well, I don’t remember how long I have been trying to get a hold of her. She raised her head and she saw me. I saw the shock in her eyes but then she suddenly bowed her head and mumbled a soft sorry while closing the door to walk away.

 

“WAIT!” I said a bit too loud and that made her stop in her track.

 

“Can we talk?” I said in a much softer voice while walking towards her.

 

She turned around to face me “Oh sorry, if I disturbed you right now, I just needed some air before going back to practice and speaking of practice, I have to go now. Our break time’s over.” She bowed her head again and turned her back on me preparing to go. But I walked or more like ran to her and held her hand, turning her to face me.

 

“Why are you avoiding me?” I asked trying to look directly at her eyes but she was looking at everything but me.

 

“What are you talking about, Jiyong? I’m not avoiding you. I’m just busy that’s all and there’s no need for us to meet anyway.” She said while trying to remove my grip on her but I was stronger.

 

“Cut the bull Chae. I don’t buy that and I know you well enough to see when you’re lying and right now, you’re lying. You are avoiding me.” I said seriously. I’m a bit mad now, because one, she was trying to get away from me again and two,… I don’t even know anymore. I’m just mad. Gosh, I have problems. As I was trying to suppress my anger, she looked no, more like glared at me and I was taken aback.

 

“Really Jiyong? You really know me well?” She scoffed and pulled her arm really hard, now successfully breaking my grip. That shocked me, not only because she was so strong but the tone she used sent a cold air through my spine. It was full of… hate.

 

“Don’t kid around.” She said again making my mouth open wide at her remark. I had so many questions going on in my mind. Why was she being like this? What the hell happened? I thought we were good? I thought we were okay. My thoughts were interrupted when I heard someone speak.

 

“Everything okay here?” Dara noona said. Where did she come from anyway? Gosh, I’m going crazy with so many questions. Ughhh!

 

“Yeah unnie. I was just going back to the practice room now.” Chaerin said and she turned away from me, not even sparing me a look.

 

“Just let her be, Jiyong. Please don’t give her any more problems. She’s having a hard time already.” Dara noona told me in a soft voice.

 

“What? I’m not gonna give her problems noona! I’m trying to help her. I’m trying to communicate here. What’s wrong with that? I’m not trying to create something bad noona, I just want my friend back. My best friend…” I said while looking sadly at her and my voice slowly fading as I said my last words.

 

“I know that Jiyong. But try to understand her. She’s going through something now and I think it will be better if you leave her alone. Give her space. She’s really trying hard too, you know. But maybe she’s just not ready now. Try to understand her okay?” Dara noona said in a very soothing voice.

 

“I want to help her noona. Whatever she is going through right now, I want to help her please help me noona. Help me to—“

 

“You can’t Ji! You can’t because you’re her problem!” She raised her voice. Her soothing and soft voice long gone now. I was shocked by what she said. I was frozen in my spot. I was her problem? I was the reason why she was being like this? Me? But what did I do? I was once again filled with questions.

 

“Just forget about it Ji. I’m going back to practice now.” She said as she walked away.

 

I wanted to ask her questions. I wanted so much to know everything but I couldn’t talk. I couldn’t even move. I was still rooted at my spot. I didn’t realize I was holding my breath until I let out a big sigh.

 


Hey. So I put a little bit of their past here. I hope you liked this chapter. Sorry if it bored you, though. 

Aaaand thank you for the subscribers and for the comments :)

So tell me what you think :) 

Thanks for reading!