Chapter 7: Dinner

Scared To Death

Youngbae received a text from Soohyuk telling him not to comeback for Jiyong at the club anymore because he already left. It was already 5AM. He found it weird that Jiyong already left but he just assumed that he was with Kiko. So he went straight back to their dorm to get some rest because BIGBANG had a meeting today and maybe even recording and practice if everything goes well.

 

He saw that the light in his dorm was open and wondered who could be there. When he entered he saw Jiyong just sitting at the sofa staring at nothing. He was surprised that Jiyong was even there because he thought he would be at a hotel or somewhere with Kiko.

 

“Yo Ji. How did you get home? Did you drive here?” Youngbae asked as he removed his shoes and placed his keys at the key holder.

 

Jiyong didn’t say anything. He heard Youngbae come in and he was determined to talk to him. Ask him what’s going on with him and Chaerin but he just didn’t know how to start. He was pissed right now. At Youngbae for what happened earlier and at himself for being pissed with his bestfriend over a girl. But it’s not just any girl. It’s ing Lee Chaerin.

 

He really didn’t know what to say so he just stood up and walked to his room and shut the door without even talking or looking at Youngbae.

 

Youngbae just looked at him confused as to what his friend did but just dismissed it as he was tired and maybe Jiyong wasn’t feeling well. He settled with that thought as he too, went inside his room and slept.

 

 

 

Same day 1:00 PM

BIGBANG were at Jiyong’s studio. It was a normal working day. They were busy doing their work, composing songs, goofing around and all. But what was not normal was Jiyong. He was just sitting in front of his desktop. He wasn’t doing anything at all. Ever since they entered his studio about 3 hours ago he hasn’t done anything yet. Normally, he should have already finished a song or too but today, nothing has been done. He wasn’t even moving that much. It was like he was sleeping while sitting with eyes open.

 

“Yeah. I got home safe this morning. Hehe no problem Chae.” And just like a spell has been broken, Jiyong suddenly looked back to where he heard the name he missed so much. His sudden action surprised his brothers as they all looked at him except Youngbae who was busy smiling like an idiot while talking to someone on the phone. Jiyong narrowed his eyes and felt a sudden irritation creep in him.

 

“Okay. Take care too Chae and good luck on your practice. I know you’ll do great.” Youngbae continued to say still smiling widely.

 

That just added to the irritation and annoyance of Jiyong. His temper just shot up the roof. And before he could stop himself from talking, the words already left his mouth and what he said just made him feel lower than low. He knew that what he said was a low blow but he just couldn’t help it. He was too pissed.

 

“Please learn to separate your love life and work. Some of us are actually trying to work here and make music and you’re talking on the phone disturbing us all. It would have been okay if you made or make hit songs but you didn’t and you don’t so please focus on your work.”  Even though Jiyong didn’t shout or anything, his tone was deathly and that was scarier than him actually shouting. The rest of the members had wide eyes when he said that. They were exchanging looks from Jiyong to Youngbae who were now looking directly at each other. There was pure silence at the point where you can hear a pin drop.

 

“I’ll talk you later Chae.” Youngbae said as he removed his phone from his ear, still not breaking eye contact with Jiyong.

 

“Good to see you still had a bit of professionalism in you.” Jiyong continued, still with the same tone and he mentally smacked himself ‘What the am I saying? Stop talking you idiot!!’ he was telling himself. Of course he didn’t mean everything he just said, he was just so pissed right now.

 

“That’s enough Jiyong.” TOP finally spoke. He employed his authoritative voice because he saw the flame in both their eyes and that can’t be good.

 

“Don’t talk to me for a while Jiyong. I want to ing smack you right now but I won’t because I know why you’re like this. I’ll go make my music somewhere else.” Youngbae said calmly as he gathered his things and went out the studio.

 

Now, Jiyong really felt bad. He knew he really offended his best friend with what he said. He already lost his other best friend and now he was at risk of losing Youngbae too because he was being a . ‘God, somebody just give me the world’s biggest award’ he said to himself while groaning and putting his head in his hands as his elbows were on his knees.

 

“That was really uncalled for hyung and really low.” Seungri now said.

 

“I know. I didn’t mean it. You know that right?” Jiyong looked at s and they just stared back without reacting. “Somebody just punch me now. Ugh!” Jiyong groaned again in frustration.

 

“Don’t tempt me ‘cause I just might.” TOP said seriously.

 

 

Jiyong’s POV

‘What the did I just do? Ugh. I can be so stupid sometimes. Most of the time.’ I mumbled to myself as I was roaming the hallways of YG peeking at every room looking for Youngbae. I was feeling so bad with what I said. I didn’t even notice I was now looking at the practice room of 2NE1. They were doing they’re new choreo and my eyes just automatically looked to where she was, the cause of my outburst with Youngbae earlier.

 

‘Huh. I’m really a huh, I’m even blaming her for my actions.’ I was just staring at her when she suddenly turned to my direction and we locked eyes. I suddenly became nervous and my heart rate just picked up its pace. She was walking towards me. ‘Oh my God!! She’s so close now!!’ I couldn’t contain my feelings. Now only the door separated us. We were still looking directly at each other’s eyes.

 

She opened the door and stepped outside. Now we were so close. She looked so good right now, with her blonde hair and everything.

 

“I heard on the phone what you said to Youngbae oppa a while ago.” She said seriously.

 

‘’ I thought.

 

“Please don’t assume anything and I also heard from someone else what you said to him after he hung up. That was low Jiyong. Even for you.” She said still looking directly at me.

 

‘Ouch. That hurt.’

 

I was looking down. Now more ashamed of what I did. I couldn’t defend myself because even I know I did wrong.

 

“I’m sorry.” I said softly.

 

“Don’t say sorry to me. Say it to Youngbae oppa.” She said as she now entered their practice room and left me there standing, reflecting on my actions.

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

“Don’t be too hard on him Chae. He only said those things because he was jealous.” Youngbae oppa said as we were sitting side by side on the bench in the practice room. I looked at him and creased my forehead ‘How can this guy not get mad at that idiot after he said all that to him?’

 

“Oppa. You should be at least mad at him for saying those things. He really doesn’t have a strain in that mouth of his.”

 

“I’m over it. I’m sure he didn’t mean it. He just randomly said those and to be fair I was mad at him. WAS. I don’t dwell on bad things.”

 

“Tsk tsk. You’re too good oppa. He doesn’t deserve a friend like you.”

 

“Come on Chae. Don’t say that. Anywayyyy, you’re birthday’s coming! Whooo! Cheers to that!” he said happily while showing me his famous eye-smile. ‘If I only fell in love with this oppa then I guess my life would be a whole lot better but of course, life doesn't work that way. Life isn’t easy and so is love.’

 

“Looks like you’re more excited about my birthday than me.” I said teasingly but also with a bit of truth. I was excited for my birthday but it also meant being closer to that day, the day I dreaded but also in a weird way always waited for.

 

“Who isn’t excited about birthdays?! It’s like the best time in a person’s life, with all the love and gifts and everything. Speaking of which, what do you want? I’ll buy it for you” he told me.

 

‘What did I want? I wanted something but it can’t be bought. I wanted genuine happiness. I know it sounds corny and cheesy but that’s really what I want. It’s what I’ve wanted for a long time.’

 

“Nothing oppa, I just want to spend time with all of you guys.” I said smiling.

 

“I think that would probably be a good idea since you’re busy with your concert preparations. Let’s just postpone your birthday party to some other time.” He said.

 

“Yeah. Oppa, we should head home.” I said as I started packing my things. The girls already left about 30 minutes ago. I told them that I’ll just stay for a bit then when I was alone in the studio, Youngbae oppa came.

 

“Yeah. We should.”

 

 

 

Youngbae oppa opened the door and there stood Jiyong. He wasn’t looking sharp. He had his shoulders slouched and he was looking down but when he heard the door open, he looked up and as soon as he saw us he spoke.

 

“I’m sorry.” He said looking at me and then Youngbae oppa. “I’m sorry, I was a . You know I didn’t mean what I said right bro?” He continued, now looking at Youngbae oppa. He looked so sad and defeated. I wanted to comfort him badly, seeing him in this state but NO.

 

“It’s okay bro. I know. Stop looking like someone died. It’s ing scary man. Come on. Lighten up!” Youngbae oppa said as he went and put his arm around Jiyong. Jiyong smiled faintly at him.

 

“So, what are you doing out here anyway. Why didn’t you go in? Have you been waiting here?” Youngbae oppa said.

 

“Uhh. Yeah. Uhm. I wasn’t sure if i… uhh you know… if I should go in.” he now looked at me who was still standing at my same spot. Awkward silence.

 

“Why not?” I asked him.

 

He was surprised by my answer. “Well… I thought we were… you know… not okay.” He said as we looked away.

 

I didn’t know what to say. Its not that we weren’t okay but its not that we were okay either. Ugh! I don’t know! Its just this time of the year really gets to me.

 

Awkward silence again and I was thankful that Youngbae oppa talked.

 

“So why don’t we all eat out? Huh? For old times sake.”

 

But as soon as he said that, I wished that he didn’t open his mouth at all.

 

I looked at Jiyong and he was looking back at me. I looked away immediately. “Yeah I think we should.” I heard him say. I looked back at him but he was now looking at Youngbae oppa.

 

“Lets go Chae!” Youngbae oppa said.

 

I wanted to reject but I couldn’t say anything. ‘What the Chae! Say something. And fast!’

 

Too late. We were in the restaurant already. How did we get here that fast anyway? As soon as we stepped in. I was flooded with emotions. This place. Where we went to eat when we were trainees. When we had no drama. When we didn’t have any other problems than to debut and be better. Now everything has changed.

 

I shook my head to rid the memories that continued to evade me. I didn’t want to be emotional.

 

Both the guys I was with were busy talking to each other and making up the whole time we went here.

 

I didn’t think that I actually would miss this. The three of us. We used to always be like this. Us, three, just hanging out. And ‘til now I couldn’t deny the comfort I felt when I was with them. It felt nice. Really nice. I didn’t even notice that I was smiling to myself when I suddenly saw that they were both looking at me.

 

“Wow. She’s smiling. For a second there I thought we were with a ghost.” Youngbae oppa said teasingly.

 

“Yah oppa. I always smile!” I said defensively.

 

“Yeah. You always did... before.” Jiyong said but he didn’t say it with sadness or anything. Just a matter-of-factly.

 

“I still always smile. We just don’t see each other that much anymore that’s why you don’t see.”

 

“Yeah. I know. That’s why we should spend more time together.”

 

My heartbeat sped up. ‘Damn it! Control yourself Chae.’

 

“Let’s order” I said as I saw the waiter approaching.

 

 

 

They were eating in a comfortable silence when Youngbae’s phone rang.

 

“Yoboseyo?” he said as he finished up the food in his mouth.

 

“Oh hyung. Yes. I’m just eating out…… oh….. right now?.....  but….. oh okay……. Okay then. I’ll be there.” he said as he put his phone down.

 

“Who was that?” Jiyong asked.

 

“Manager hyung. He needs me to prepare something for tomorrow.” Youngbae said nonchalantly.

 

“What? Like, right now?” Chaerin asked in a bit of a panicky voice which wasn’t lost in Jiyong’s ears.

 

“Yeah. He said it’s important. Sorry guys. I wish I could spend more time but he’s rushing me. Ugh. He texted again. Anyway, I’d leave the car Ji because hyung is near here already. See you guys! Send Chae home! Bye~~!” He said as he rushed out.

.

.

.

.

Awkward silence…..