The Big Favor

My Neighbor A Teacher?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One week has passed and it's another day at work. Now, I have to start working as a professional magazine editor to impress Ms Kim. She finally gave me some real work to do and tells me the dateline. "I hope you'll do an excellent job in this company. I am counting on you to do well," said Ms Kim that morning. I nodded and promised her that I'll work hard.

While working, I heard Heesok calling me. "Hey there." "Annyong," I called back. "Working hard?" she asked and I nodded. "Seollal is almost here. Are you going back to your hometown to see your relatives?" asked Eun Sook. "All my relatives are staying in Seoul," I replied. "Wow! That's nice! Have you prepared everything yet?" she asked again. I just nodded as a respond and I went back to do work and so did the cousins.

The day before we go home and prepare everything for Seollal, Ms Kim announces that everyone can leave early for the holidays. I bid farewell to Heesok and Eun Sook and wished them a holiday greetings and they did the same. When I went back home, I help Hae Rin prepare the holiday food. Even omma and appa came to help out. I chatted happily about the New Year.

The next day was Seollal. We got up early to wear our traditional hanboks and getting ready for our parents and relatives to come. By 8:00, they came to our house. I greeted my parents, aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents. They were also surprised to see me back in Korea. "Welcome home, Hae Ra," said my aunt. "It's been a while since you left Korea," said my uncle. "How was Chicago?" "It was awesome," I told them. In fact, all my relatives are asking me about my adventures in Chicago. So, I told them the whole story, even during meal time. They were filled with interest to listen. "Did you meet any handsome boys there?" asked my cousin, Mi Na. "Ne, I did. But I didn't date any of them," I replied. "But don't worry. I'm sure there is a guy that is right for me."

After our meals, we all bowed down and pay respects to the elders and got some New Year money after saying "have a Blessed New Year" to them. Next, we played some traditional games together. Even though I can't manage to win in some of the games, at least I had fun playing with my cousins. Hae Rin decided to take us to the park for kite-flying. Each of us take turns to fly a kite. While Minji is learning how to fly the kite, my cousin Jun Bae and I sat down on the bench and we just chat. "Now that you're back, how is life?" he asked.

"Everything is fine. Well, except that I met this new Math teacher who is teaching in my high school. He is also our neighbor," I replied.

"Ooh. What about him?" he asked again.

"He kinds of.......scares me. He always scowl and frowns at me. Even when I tried to talk to him, he would just shoo me away," I replied again.

Jun Bae just nodded. "I see. With him as your neighbor, I bet you'll see him everyday when you leave, right?" I nodded in respond. "Hae Ra sshi?"

I look at him and said, "Ne?"

"You said he was a Math teacher in high school, right? What year does he teach?" he asked with his eyes beaming. I look at him with disgust. "Year 3," I said. "Wae? You looked excited." "As a matter of fact, I am!" he exclaimed. "You see, I'm already in my senior year. And my grades in Math is the lowest among the other subjects throughout my high school years. I want to do better this year if I want to graduate. Could you help me ask your neighbor to tutor me Math?"

I began to scratch my head. Even though I want to help Jun Bae, I don't know if Kyuhyun is willing to take the offer. "Gee, Jun Bae. I really don't know. My neighbor is really scary. I don't think he would want to take that offer from me," I said. But Jun Bae held my hand and gave a pleading look at me. "I know. But I don't want to get bad grades in Math again. Please, Hae Ra. You got to help me. Just for my graduation sake." I took a deep breath and sighed. "Alright. Fine. I'll ask him to tutor you." Jun Bae cheered happily and hugged me. "Gomawo. You're the best cousin ever! I knew I can count on you!" As for me, I can only sighed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter