Back Home

My Neighbor A Teacher?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Attention, passengers. We have now landed in Seoul. Thank you for choosing Korean Air and have a pleasant trip," I heard the pilot speaking. Sigh! It's good to be back home again. Chicago is great but I missed the Korean food here. Especially omma's homemade soup. I bet my family is going to be thrilled to see me. I wonder why it's still bright and sunny here. *looks at the watch and the clock* Oh, darn! I'm still on Chicago time. I better change my time. *changes the time on the watch to match the clock* There! That's more like it! *Yawn* Boy, am I tired. Must be jetlag.

"Hae Ra!" I heard someone calling my name. I saw a tall figure waving at me. I walked closer to have a better view. It was Hae Rin, my older sister, waving and smiling at me. "Unnie!" I shouted happily as I ran to hug her. How I missed my sister. In fact, I miss my whole family. I can't wait to see them again. "It's good to see you again. How's your family?" I said. "They're both fine. Minji's growing up now. You must be tired after a long journey. I'll help you take your luggage."

Hae Rin is now married and she has a 2 year old daughter named Minji. I remember she sent to me photos of her when she was born. I missed that moment because I was in Chicago back then. But we did managed to Skype each other and she'll let me see Minji through the webcam.

Anyways, Hae Rin helped me put my luggages into the car booth as I hop into the car. Joon Hun, Hae Rin's husband, started the engine as the car drove away. I saw Minji smiling at me in the car, so I played with her. "Annyong!" I heard her calling. Wow! She knew how to talk now. That surprises me.

"So, tell us about your adventures in Chicago. How was it like there?" Hae Rin asked me.

"It was wonderful. I learn how to speak English there. I made lots of new friends. The food is great too, especially Chicago pizza. My friends gave me an English name, which is Caroline," I explained. Yes, I do have an English name. And that is Caroline. My friends over there insist on calling me that instead of my Korean name.

I heard Hae Rin and Joon Hun laughing. "Caroline? That's funny."

I began to laugh too. "I know, but it's interesting that I have an English name."

"Have you decided what job you want to apply here yet?" asked Hae Rin again.

"Not yet. I'll soon look for one," I replied. Suddenly, my eyes were feeling sore and I began to yawn real loud. "I'm sleepy. I want to rest."

 

After a long drive, we've reached Hae Rin's house. I took my luggage and went upstairs to take a nap. Sleeping on the plane wasn't comfortable enough. I slept until 7 o'clock in the evening. I was also feeling hungry too. After taking a nice, warm bath, I head downstairs for dinner. Suddenly, I saw someone else is in the house. The person looks very familiar to me.

"Hi, Hae Ra," Hae Rin greeted with a smile. "Remember your childhood friend, Seohyun? She came over to see you when she heard that you have returned." The person turn around and it was my favorite childhood friend, Seohyun! We gave each other a big, tight hug. I was excited to see her again. Her real name is Joo Hyun. But she insist me of calling her Seohyun. We've known each other since preschool. And we used to be neighbours before my family moved to a new house. But she will come over to my house to play. I love Seohyun so much. I treat her as my third sister. She always offer help when I'm in trouble.

"It's been a while, my friend," said Seohyun.

"I know right," I replied as I look at her body. She looks different from what I remember. "You look slender and slim now."

"In case you don't know, I have became a fashion model," she explained. And she handed a magazine featuring her on it.

I flip through the pages. "Wow. You look pretty," I said with compliments.

"And that's not all. I'm also engaged to Yonghwa," she explained again.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter