The Subtle Difference

Remembering Myself

"It's okay if I invite others, right? Because I did..." Junri bit her lip.

Zelo shrugged as Junri fixed his bow tie. "Mom and Dad invited a lot of old people. I'll be happy to see people close to my age."

Junri smiled. "You could've told them you didn't want 'old people' on your birthday party, you know."

"Yeah... but it made them happy." Zelo smiled. "And hopefully, after having two parties in one week, Mom and Dad will get tired of it."

"I don't think that's possible, Junhong." Junri chuckled. "But that's mature of you. To think of Mom and Dads happiness. And I think you wanted old people over partly because you wanted a lot of gifts."

"Yup. Pretty much." Zelo admitted. "I like the popcorn Mrs Park gives me. Ooooh! And the chocolate that Mr and Mrs Hwang make on their factory is also nice."

Junri laughed at his honesty.

"What about you noona, what's your gift for me?" Zelo raised an eyebrow at her. "Did you forget?"

Junri shook her head. "I wouldn't call it 'my' gift, though."

*I have a feeling I know where this is going.* Zelo thought. He didn't mind, though. Truthfully, he was waiting for Lay to make his move. But he wanted to play a little joke on them. "That better not be Lay hyung, noona."

Junri stiffened, and it almost made Zelo laugh. But he kept a straight face on.

"O-ofcourse it isn't!" Junri faked a laugh. "What makes you think that?" She awkwardly shuffled to the door.

Zelo bit the insides of his cheeks so he wouldn't be able to smile. *You're so see-through, noona.*

"I-I'll have to go now... to... you know... my room..." Junri stepped out of Zelo's room. "Gotta get dressed! Heh..." She grinned.

Zelo nodded with an amused smile. He was more amused when Junri just stood there. By his door.

"I thought you were going to get dressed?" Zelo raised an eyebrow at her.

"O-oh... Yeah. Sorry." Junri sheepishly smiled and closed the door behind her.

Zelo shook his head with a snort. *Such a bad liar.*

 

"Youngjae! What should I do?! He specifically said that Lay better not be the one who I bought his present with!" Junri panicked through the phone as Amber fixed her hair into simple curls.

Youngjae furrowed his eyebrows. *That's awefully perceptive of him... but then again, Junri is an aweful liar.* "It'll be fine. He can't NOT accept a present." He waved it away.

"But this is Junhong we're talking about! He does what he wants!" Junri bit her nails, which Luna quickly stopped by slapping her hands away, making her wince with an 'ow'.

"Are you okay?" Youngjae asked as he fixed his own tie.

"Nothing." Junri muttered and shot the sheepishly smiling Luna a look. "But Youngjae!" She whined.

Youngjae bit his lip, trying not to smile. "It'll be alright, Junri. I promise. I swear I won't let Zelo beat Lay up if he intends to."

"YOUNGJAE!"

"Kidding." Youngjae laughed. "But it'll be fine. I promise."

Junri sighed. "Okay then. Thanks..." She mumbled. "Are you getting ready?"

"Yup. Just fixing my tie." Youngjae answered. "I'll be at the party before it starts. Can you try being early for once for your own party?"

Junri chuckled. "Umma said we should always try our best to make a grand entrance."

"Ah. That explains it." Youngjae said. "I'll see you then, Junri. Save me a dance. Can I be first this time?"

"I don't think Junhong will allow that." Junri chuckled. "But I'll try. If he's first, you'll be the first after him." She promised.

"Can't complain then." Youngjae shrugged. "See you later. Bye."

"Bye."

Youngjae looked at himself through the mirror.

Clad in a black suit. Hair was styled. And gift in hand. Basically, he looked handsome.

*But still always second place, huh?* He sadly thought. He shook his head and made his way to the door. *It doesn't matter. Junri should be happy. And I'm not the key ingredient to that.*

 

"A-are you going somewhere?"

"Yeah. You can't come, though. It's Zelo's birthday. And I was just invited too." Lay said. "Wait, are YOU going somewhere?" He noticed her attire.

She nodded. "I'm leaving. Today."

"Oh. You didn't tell me." Lay blinked. "Will you be okay? I mean, I could tell Mr Han to drive you there while I take the-"

"No. That's not needed." Meylin shook her head. "But thankyou, Yixing."

*She's... polite.* Lay noticed. "For what? I was rude and unwelcoming to you. Why would you thank me?"

"Because you put up with me." Meylin smiled. "I'm sorry for the trouble I caused. And I'm really sorry to go far as crashing a party I wasn't invited to. Please tell the Choi's I'm sorry." She sighed. "But, really, Yixing. Thankyou."

Lay nodded. "No problem, Mey. And I'm sure they didn't mind." He waved it away. "But... can you tell me why you're leaving?"

"I shouldn't have gone here in the first place, Yixing." She admitted. "I guess I was used to getting everything I wanted… I just couldn't take it when I lost you..." She mumbled. "But I was wrong to have come here and try to force you. I know that now. And I really am sorry."

Lay smiled at her. "It's okay, Mey. I forgive you."

Meylin looked up to him and started bawling. "How am I supposed to leave when you keep being nice to me?!"

Lay stumbled back a little, surprised she cried all of a sudden. But he chuckled when he digested what she said. "It's not really my thing to kick someone out of my life."

"Still." Meylin wiped her tears away. "I'll go now. You're ruining my make-up." She turned around.

"Bye bye, Mey. Come back some time, okay?" Lay smiled, though she didn't turn to face him.

She started crying again, "Someday." She said and left for good.

Lay fixed his tie and suit one last time before finally deciding to leave with the gift in hand.

*If things continue to fall into place, there might just be a chance for me and Junri again...* He hoped.

 

"Oh. Hello. Aren't you...?" Zelo furrowed his eyebrows at the familiar stranger. "I'm sure I've seen you somewhere."

"I... I'm..." Meylin stuttered. She was scared of his height.

"Woah. I'm not going to eat you." Zelo chuckled, making her ease up a little. "Weren't you the one with Lay in our family's ball two days ago?"

"It was three days ago..." Meylin mumbled. "But yes. I am. May I speak with Junri? I swear I won't do anything. I just want to talk."

Zelo hesitated, but he saw how genuine her request was. And she looked harmless to him. Maybe because of how he towered over her, but... "Sure."

Meylin's eyes widened, and Zelo blinked at how big her eyes can get. "You'll let me? Thankyou." She bowed and entered the house.

*I was thinking outside...* He thought, but didn't say anything. "I'll lead you to her room-"

"No need. I can go there myself." Meylin smiled and went up the stairs. *Even if I can get lost...* She thought, but didn't want to bother him.

Zelo arched his eyebrows. *She'll get lost.* "No. I insist." He said and walked beside her. "So... You're Feng Meylin right? Aren't you Lay's fiancee?"

"Ex-Fiancee." Meylin corrected. "But yes. I am."

"How old are you?" Zelo asked. *You look like a kid.* He didn't want to say it out loud.

"I'm 17." She answered. "Why?"

*I thought you were 15.* "Oh. Nothing. Nothing." Zelo shook his head. "Here is her room. She's just charging her phone, I guess. Well... that's what she said." He shrugged. He knocked on the door. "Noona? Someone's here to see you. I'm letting her in!"

"Okay!"

Zelo nodded at Meylin. "Go on."

Meylin nodded back. *I just want to meet her...* She thought. Once she opened the door, and her jaw dropped. "Beautiful..."

"What was that? Junhong? O-oh... Feng Meylin ssi..." Junri was taken by surprise and immediately bowed. "Hello."

"I'll leave you two." Zelo said and closed the door behind him.

Meylin swallowed and stared at Junri. "No wonder..." She whispered. Junri looked confused. "No wonder he loves you..." She continued with a soft smile.

"What? Who? Junhong? He's my brother." Junri cluelessly said. "So... what brings you here, Meylin ssi?"

"I... I just wanted to see you..." Meylin uneasily said. "You see, I'm going back to China... And I don't think I'll be back for a long time. I just wanted to meet the girl Yixing chose over me..."

Junri blinked. She didn't know what to say. *She seems nice... why does EXO M hate her?* "Thanks...?" She unsurely said. An uncomfortable silence enveloped them, and Meylin regretted visiting.

"I'm sorry, too." Meylin mumbled. "I know I caused you and Yixing a lot of trouble. But believe me, he loves you. So please erase all the doubt you have of him because of me." She sighed.

Junri smiled at her. "It wasn't your fault, Meylin ssi. It was his choice. And I'm sure he has feelings for you, given that he chose you over me too." Though her own words stabbed her heart, she knew in herself they were somewhat right.

Meylin shook her head. "No. Don't think that. He did that out of courtesy. Because if he agreed to marry me, it would benefit his family's business. But marriage is a whole lot more than that." She said. "How could he ever marry me when he loves you?"

"How do you know that?" Junri sighed. "Honestly, I don't know what to believe."

"Take it from someone who loves him." Meylin smiled at her. "It was hard to admit at first, but I know he loves you. You can notice it just by the way his eyes widen and become excited when he sees you." She chuckled. "And don't be sorry," She added when she noticed Junri was frowning. "Just love him and all is forgiven." She checked her watch and her eyes widened. "I have to go. I'm late."

"O-oh. So fast?" Junri stood up after her. "Are you sure you don't want to stay? It's my brothers bi-"

"It's fine. I have to go." Meylin urgently said. "Just remember what I said." She said and sprinted off.

*I'm running late.* She bit her lip. Just when she was running down the stairs, she collided into someone’s chest. "Ow..." She rubbed her nose.

"Why are you such in a hurry?" Zelo asked and helped her up.

Meylin stood up immediately and sprinted for the door "I'm late for a flight!" She said and reached the door. But before she could go out, she looked at Zelo who was giving her a weird look. "Happy Birthday, by the way, sir." And left.

*I'm not a sir.* Zelo pouted.

"Hey. Let's go. We're late too." Junri snapped him out of his thoughts.

"Was that-"

"She was."

"What did you-"

"Secret." Junri grinned at him. "Come on, birthday boy. We're late for your party!" She excitedly pulled him to the door.

"Because you took your sweet time." Zelo huffed.

*I had to wait for Chen to say he was ready.* "Nevermind that." Junri waved it away. "Off to the party!" She giggled.

Zelo could only smile and shake his head. *You're so different yet the same from before, noona.*







I just now noticed I'm really quiet in this one fic XD. Idk why. Not to mention I've been busy these past days.

You see, I'm going to post a new fic. A Ravi (VIXX) fic. I was supposed to post it days ago, but there was a slight problem with the poster. I don't want to post a story without the poster and background... I'll prioritize this fic first before that one, though. Because this fic started first. 

I just now realized how hard it is to update if the chapters are longer XD But I'm glad a lot of you are patient ^-^ I notice some unsubscribe and I admit I get a little thrown off by those users, but I can't really blame them. It's their choice.

I'm just thankful to all of you here right now. :D Seriously, I am.  ^▽^