Second Date

Remembering Myself

*No. Don't change it, Junri. It's okay. That jacket is okay.* She told herself as she paced inside her room. She had been staring at the clothes she was supposed to wear on her date. *Darn. Junhong was right. Why do I always panic?!* She breathed in deep and exhaled. *I'm not changing that jacket.* She determinedly thought, but her anxiety didn't seem to waver.

She paused for a while and turned to her closet. *Then again... I have a red one that I hadn't worn yet...* She thought. She shook her head. *No. That jacket is final.*

She checked her clock. *It's already 5... I should get ready.* She thought. She took her clothes and went to the bathroom. *Am I really going with this jacket?* She thought again.

*Whatever.* She shrugged.

 

"H-hi." Junri mentally slapped herself. "I mean, Hi." She repeated.

Lay warmly smiled at her. "Hello."

For a moment, it was like all the ice melted from his smile. *What am I thinking?* She asked herself. "So where are we going?" She closed the gates behind her.

Lay held out his arm, but Junri just stared at it.

"It won't bite." He informed with a small encouraging smile.

'You don't have to trust him. Just give him a chance.'

Junri nodded and hesitantly looped her hand through.

"We're going skating." Lay proudly announced.

Junri blinked at him. "Again? I mean... Not that I'm complaining." She added, making Lay chuckle.

"Yes. Again. You haven't mastered skating yet." He said. "We're going to walk there."

Junri nodded. "It's night time, you know..." She informed

Lay grinned at her. "Yes. It makes it all the more romantic."

She chocked on her own saliva.

"I'm sorry. Too soon?"

She shot him a look, but he only smiled at her.

"I don't think I'll have another chance to be honest like this." He admitted. "And a chance to actually have your brother beg me to go on a date with you-but I don't mind. I'm thankful."

"He... begged you?" Junri raised an eyebrow at him.

"I didn't mean it like that. It's just I was scared..." He pursued his lips. "I thought I might make you mad again."

She nodded in understanding.

"I'm really afraid right now, actually." He added. "I'm so scared my hands are cold." He sheepishly grinned at her, but he didn't stop walking.

She worriedly glanced at him. "If you're cold, we could go inside..." She suggested.

He smiled widely at her and pinched her cheek, letting her feel the coldness he meant. "I'm okay. I'm surprised you care."

She frowned and lightly pushed his hand away. "I'm not heartless."

"No. You aren't." He agreed. They arrived at the park. Only a few people were there, just adults and old couples. The place was lit by the lamps and the moon that shone brightly. He led her to the bench again where to ice skates were waiting for them.

She bit her lip. "I'm... sorry about last time. I didn't mean for it to hurt." She guiltily apologized.

He only smiled at her and helped her tie her laces. "It's okay. But it did hurt." He grinned at her. "Come on." He pulled her up and led her to the ice. They slid together peacefully, with her hand gripping his arm.

"I'm still not really good at this, you know." She shakily said.

"I think you're doing well." He smiled. He gracefully stood infront of her and sled backwards. "So what's on your mind, Junri? I'm surprised you agreed to a date again."

She stared at him. "Nothing... I... I don't know."

"You don't know why you agreed to a date?" He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

"No... It's just that... I don't understand." She admitted.

"What don't you understand then?" Lay gently asked.

"Why I don't hate you."

He skidded to a stop and stared at her. "What?"

She looked up at him and let go of his arm. "I... I don't hate you. I don't think I ever did. And now... I'm wondering just what makes you special."

He blinked at her. *I don't understand what she's trying to say here...*

"I try so hard to move on." She sadly smiled. "I try so hard to forget all of it again. But I can't... You won't let me..." A sigh escaped her lips. "I didn't know it would be hard. I didn't know it was impossible, even."

Silence enveloped them, and the distant voices of the other people in the park seemed to echo around them.

Lay hung his head low and put his hand on hers.

"What are you-"

"I understand." He said. "I'm sorry." He murmured. "I... I'll go now." He skated past her.

She blinked. *What just happened...?* "Wait! What do you mean?"

He stopped and glanced at her. "You want it so badly to forget me... So... I'll go. And give you the peace you want." He smiled at her. "Move on, Junri."

The three words that crushed her heart.

She couldn't speak as she stared at him with pain etched in her expression. *Wait...* She tried to think what she should do, but she couldn't. *What should I do...? Am I really going to let him go?* She looked at where Lay was disappearing to. Even just walking him skate was enough for her to feel the sadness he was radiating.

“Move on, Junri.”

"I... can't." She whispered. She shakily skated on the ice, almost tripping, but she managed to gather speed. *… I really can't…*

 

Lay's Point of View

 

This is what she wanted... So I'll give it to her.

I slid on the ice, and I could really feel my heart getting heavier by the second.

That expression she wore just made me feel even guiltier... She was sad because of me. She was depressed, even. All because of me.

I tried increase my speed, but my legs felt numb. Am I really going to do this? If I walk away now... I can never go back again.

But this is what she wants...

I sighed. I really can't have everything, can I?

"Wait!"

I furrowed my eyebrows. I was about to turn around when I was tackled, falling on the hard ice.

"Ow..." I managed to groan. My cheek hit the ice hard, might even leave a bruise later.

"Oh. Sorry."

My eyes shot open. "Junri?" What's she doing?

"Don't go. Don't leave me." She murmured and got off of me. "I'm really sorry... But I can't. I can't move on..."

I lay there flat on the ice. I could feel the chill on my back. I lifted my head, and let it fall hardly on ice.

"Why did you do that?!" She panicked and crawled to the side of my head. "I... I think you're bleeding..."

I smiled at her. "Hi."

 

Junri's Point of View

 

He's... delusional.

"Are you okay?" I worriedly asked him and helped him sit up. I checked the back of his head, and it's a good thing he really wasn't bleeding. "You're not bleeding but-"

My breathing hitched, and I could feel him tightening his arms around me.

"I'm okay." He hummed. "More than that, actually."

"You have a bump on your head." I informed. "We should go sit down..." I tried to get up, but he was pulling me down. "Yixing... Let's get some ice on that."

"There's ice right here." He reasoned.

I pulled away anyway. "Come on. Get up. You're causing a scene."

"WE'RE causing a scene." He grinned.

I want to hit you right now, Yixing.

"Okay. Okay." He laughed and got up, as if he could read my mind. Maybe my expression made it evident. He had one hand on the back of his head while he was holding out his other hand.

"It won't bite."

I looked at him.

"You just told me not to leave you. Why don't you make sure by holding my hand then?"

I could feel my cheeks heating up, so I looked down and took his extended hand.

 

Author's Point of View

 

*That's cute.* Lay inwardly laughed and skated while pulling Junri beside him.

As soon as they got to the bench, he sat down and put a hand at the back of his head.

She took of her glove and used it to cover the ice. "Why did you do that?" She asked and pressed it on the bump at the back of his head.

"I wanted to know if I was dreaming or not." He sheepishly smiled at her. *But my head really feels as if there's a crack now...*

She shook her head with a chuckle. "You're so stupid sometimes, Yixing."

"Only when it comes to you!" He laughed. "It's true then, right?"

She looked at him. "What is?"

"You can't move on from me~" He teased and poked her sides.

She made a face and slapped his hands away. "You're so annoying."

Lay laughed and pinched her cheeks. "You're so cute."

She frowned and threw the glove full of snow on his face. "I take it all back then."

"You can't do that." He frowned and dusted off her glove. "You can't move on from me." He grinned and put it on for her.

"I really hate you." She huffed and crossed her arms.

He merely smiled at her and pulled her up. "Let's go eat at that Ramyun shop at front." He said and held her hand on the way.

She tried to pull her hand away, but he held it tighter.

"Yixing..." She breathed.

"I'm not letting go. Not again." Lay said without even turning around to glance at her. "Don't let go this time, Junri... I mean it."

She stared at him before her lips quirked up little by little, and she managed a small nod. "I won't. But can I atleast have it back for a little while to fix my hat?" She asked.

Lay chuckled and shook his head. He pulled down her beanie to the point it covered her eyes. "No. You can't."

"Yixing!"

He laughed and fixed her beanie for her. "There. Beautiful. And I'm not talking about the hat."

She slightly redenned at his comment, making her look away.

Lay smiled and shook his head. *Just this once... make this moment last...*

*Just this once... let me be happy* Junri thought with a content smile.







Darn. Lay is a bias wrecker in the Overdose M/Vs ;-;