Do You Remember Me?

Remembering Myself

"Lay her down there." Henry ordered Luhan and Lay. "Did you call her brother?"

Luhan nodded. "I sent him a message. But I'm sure he's already on his way here. I didn't know this place had a clinic though..." It looked more of a military infirmary than a clinic, actually. There were 6 beds in the gray room with a medicine kit at the very end. But outside the wooden doors, there was a sign that said 'Clinic'.

"What happened, anyway?" Henry asked as he tucked Junri on the bed. "Why did she faint? Stress?"

Lay and Luhan shared a look.

"What does that mean?!" Henry frustratedly asked. He was distressed and panicky, since he thinks-no, KNOWS that what he said had something to do with it.

"We can't tell." Lay curtly said. "You'll have to ask her brother."

"I don't think Junhong would be too happy to see me." Henry made a dead-pan expression.

*Junhong...? How did he know Zelo's real name? I hadn't found out until... well... now.* Luhan thought. "Why?"

Henry raised an eyebrow at them. "Just like you, I can't tell. Well, I choose not to."

"This is childish." Lay sighed. "Why? How do you know Junri and Zelo?"

"I think you should answer why she doesn't remember me in the first place." Henry shot back with a glare. The two boys were sitting on the bed left of Junri's, while Henry sat on the one on the right. "Tell me. I need an explanation why she doesn't remember me." Lay and Luhan didn't make a move. Henry sighed. "I was a childhood friend, alright? We spent a lot of times together when we were kids. Now can you please tell me what's going on?" *Though I think I already have an idea...* He coughed.

Lay and Luhan nodded at each other.

"About a month ago or more, she got into an accident. She was crossing the street. It was raining and it was night time. I'm sure you can guess what comes after that." Luhan sighed. "The hit on her head affected a part of her brain that registered her memories. It's a phenomenon, still. But she lost them. All of them. Except school intelligence. Basically, she lost every memory that had emotional attachments to."

Henry stared at Junri's sleeping face. *No wonder...* He thought. "Wait- why did she faint then? And if it was a month ago, how come she still doesn't remember anything at all?"

"There's a chance... that if we remind her, this would happen." Lay sighed. "It would cause shock. There are many possibilities that could happen once she wakes up. She could forget again... or remember. She might even wake up normally. Like she didn't faint but she still remembers nothing about her life before the accident. But worst-case scenario... is that she falls under a coma."

Henry's breathing hitched, and the air inside the clinic suddenly became unbreathable for him.

"We better be prepared... Hell's walking on the halls right now." Luhan read a text on his phone coming from Zelo. "And let's just say hell is pretty pissed off..."

 

"WHAT THE HELL! THIS WAS ALL A MISTAKE! WHAT ARE YOU ALL DOING HERE?!" Zelo yelled and glared at each of the boys. He may be younger... but he had height advantages. "You-" He pointed at Luhan. "I told you to keep her away from him!" He pointed at Lay. "And you-" He kept his finger pointed at the very confused unicorn. "I thought I told YOU to keep away! And of course you." He glared at Henry. Something about his voice dropping down into a whole new level of iciness frightened the pianist the most. "I didn't think I'd ever see your face again." He scoffed. "So which of you is to blame?" He crossed his arms.

Lay and Luhan automatically pointed at Henry who was in the middle of them, making the latters eyes widen like saucers.

Zelo frowned. "I thought I told you to keep away from her 3 years ago. What happened?"

Henry looked away. The disappointment and betrayal in the youngers voice made him feel even guiltier. "I..." He sighed. "I got the chance to talk to her. I couldn't help myself, okay? Especially when I noticed she didn't know who I was at all..."

"That's not an excuse." Zelo narrowed his eyes at him. "If she did remember you, you would still go for it. After all, you were the one who used her as a fiancee to go to your dream college."

Lay and Luhan gaped at Henry, making the latter feel even smaller.

"You didn't cause her enough hell, right?" Zelo sarcastically said with a bitter smile. "In fact, I think all of you caused her enough hell."

"Me? What did I do?!" Luhan's eyes widened even more than it originally was. "All I did was protect her!"

Zelo raised an eyebrow at him as he carried Junri. "You didn't do a great job, did you?" With that, Zelo left them in the clinic, carrying his unconscious sister with one arm on her back and the other at the bend of her knees. He sighed when he saw the pained expression she was wearing, even in her sleep. *I'm sorry I wasn't there, noona...*

Luhan dropped on his knees with a broken expression, while Henry was gaping at the door from the bed with the same look. Lay was guiltily looking down on the floor while standing up.

"I... I thought I had left my past behind me." Henry whispered. "Because what I did to her was so wrong, I couldn't sleep in my own home. So I moved out. Here I am... with my past haunting me again."

"Shut up." Luhan glared at Henry. "Don't act like the victim." He stood up from the floor and walked out the room.

Lay lifted his head, only to see Henry on the verge of tears. He sighed and went nearer to the older, patting his back.

"If it makes you any better... I chose to be engaged to someone else while she was my girlfriend." Lay said. "And I talked to her too, because I admit I still love her..."

Henry just stared into nothing. Lay shook his head and left him in the room too, since he knew he couldn't talk sense into him right now.

*It doesn't. Unlike you, I really never had feelings for her.*

--------------------------------

"Are you okay? You fainted..." Zelo took the cold compress he put on her head earlier because she was burning up. He already lay her down on her bed and tucked her in as soon as he got home. Their driver almost had a heart-attack seeing Junri unconscious. She blinked at him.

Zelo froze. "D-Do you remember me?" He stuttered. His hand was shaking and he felt as if the floor had magnets on his feet.

Junri nodded.

"Then what's wrong?" Zelo sighed in relief. "Are you alright?"

She looked up to him, and her face slowly contorted into sadness as tears spilled from her eyes. "Junhong?" She croaked.

"I'm here. Are you alright?" Zelo tightly held onto both her hands so she wouldn't cover her face, making it hard to breathe for her. "Why are you crying?"

"I remember..."

Zelo smiled. "Then why are you crying? Shouldn't you be happy? Wait-are those happy tears?" He chuckled, but he stopped when he saw she looked genuinely confused and sad. "What's wrong, Junri noona?"

She stopped and stared at him. "I'm... Junri?"

 

"There's nothing wrong with her, Junhong. I assure you, her head is working perfectly fine." Dr Goong assured him again.

"Then why doesn't she remember herself?! That's the craziest thing I've ever heard!" Zelo half-yelled. "Maybe... Maybe your equipment is faulty! I'll go call for my father to get you ne-"

"Junhong." The doctor sighed with a shake of his head. "This is not about equipment. This is the work of her own mind. The thought of the accident was used as an excuse to forget unwanted memories."

"Then how come she forgot herself?" Zelo asked with a hysterical expression. "Why didn't she forget the people she hate or caused her pain?!"

Dr Goong gave Zelo a sad look and squeezed the youngers shoulder as reassurance. "A humans emotional mind doesn't necessarily hate another being that caused her pain. And sometimes, there are people you hate far worse than others. For your sister, she must be having personal issues. I'm sorry, Junhong. Maybe you should try taking her to a psychiatrist..."

Zelo felt as if his world crashed down, and the only thing he could hear was the footsteps of Dr Goong as he walked away from him.

*Why...? Why does this happen? I don't understand!* His mind was in chaos. He stiffly turned his head to the door beside him with a window. Junri was inside, talking to the female nurse with a small polite smile. *Why does this have to happen to you, noona?* He sighed. He went inside the room with a small smile. It was the best he could do.

"Junhong!" Junri excitedly greeted him. "What's wrong? Are you alright?" She asked with a worried expression.

"Tell me..." Zelo looked at her. "How can you remember me, if you can't remember yourself? Last time I checked, it takes two to make a memory..."

Junri stared at the window, which was the same thing Zelo was facing. She smiled, he could see from the faint reflection. "I don't know, actually... All I know is you're my brother. We're close. I know your birthday... your favorite food, favorite hobby and even your blood type. But... I can't remember much of our memories. Like... I could only see you. I could only hear you. I couldn't see myself anywhere. Like I'm not part of the memory. Like... it belongs to someone else."

"Isn't that just like now? You can't see yourself. You're talking to me. If you remove our reflections." Zelo stated. *Help me understand...*

She shook her head.

Zelo frowned. *I don't understand, noona...*

"Think of it as now." She started to explain, noting his confused expression earlier. "Right now, at this exact moment, you can hear your own thoughts. Either your making a decision, or simply just day dreaming. It doesn't matter. Because at the end of the day, everything you thought, sculpted either a big or small part of your personality." She turned to look at him again. She was smiling, and her eyes were in the shape of crescent moons. "People often think it is actions that shape our being, but no. Actions shape our reputation. But thinking shapes our personality."

Zelo looked up at her, and he partly understood her. He didn’t want to press the matter.

"How come you always end up smart when you go through amnesia?" He jokingly pouted.

Junri laughed.

Zelo smiled, happy he broke the tension in the air that he, himself created. But he can't hide in himself that he was so desperate inside. He knew that she wasn't really happy, nor sad. She was at the point where she didn't know what to do anymore, so she ended up smiling instead.

"Come on, then. Let's go home. I'm sure you told Mom and Dad already." She jumped from the bed and opened the door, with Zelo right beside her. "I don't want them to make a fuss."

"But... Noona? You just remember Henry. Aren't you mad?" Zelo confusedly asked.

"He's still your hyung, Junhong." Junri pointed out. "But... honestly, I don't know what to feel. I'm not really mad though. After all... I know the guy still has a conscience. He must be so guilty right now." She chuckled, but there was a hint of melancholy in her tone. "It's the same with Yixing. I don't hate him. I respect his decision. It was his choice anyway... So why should I complain? This might be his shot of happiness." She tried to hold in her sigh, but failed.

*It's because you love him, noona.* Zelo thought. *So I don't think you can ever hate Lay hyung.*