Wheelchair and All

Remembering Myself

"Hey! Look over there! It's a duck!" Lay excitedly pointed.

Junri gave him a weird look. "That's a little boy, Yixing. It's winter. I don't think there'd be any ducks here for a long time."

He just shrugged. "It looked like a duck to me."

"HE." She corrected. "So what are we going to do now, Yixing?"

Lay smiled at her. "Wanna go ice skating?"

Junri raised an eyebrow at him and gestured to herself.

"Hey. Who said wheelchairs weren't allowed for skating?"

She just shook her head with a laugh. "You're so... one of a kind, Yixing. I sometimes wonder if you're half-asleep or maybe on drugs."

"... Thankyou?" He made a confused expression. "Let's go buy some hot chocolate from the nice ahjussi then." He said and leisurely rolled her on the concrete floor. He had personally made sure that it would be alright to wheel her here this morning. It had taken him a LOT of time just clearing the snow off by himself. Not to mention, people kept giving him weird looks.

But he didn't mind.

He didn't mind the odd looks. Nor the back pain he was currently experiencing. As long as he could spend time with Junri in the very same park.

"I kind of think this is our place now." Junri said as he handed her a cup of warm chocolate. "I like it."

Lay smiled. "Me too. I run here during my morning jogs on Saturday mornings, and you'd really love it here during Spring." He promised.

"Really?" Junri looked at him as he sat on the bench directly in front of her. "Don't you think I'm blocking the way?" She asked and tried to roll herself to the side of the bench, but Lay put his hands on hers to stop her.

"No. They won't. I promise." He smiled at her reassuringly. *I don't think anyone would have the nerve since I personally cleaned the place.* "So... when's the operation?"

Junri visibly stiffened. She had been taking painkillers for her condition, and vitamins. Her body was too weak before to do the operation right away, so they had to make sure she was healthy for optimal results. It took roughly a month until she was healthy enough. She’s not at her best, but the doctors said it was better to do the operation as soon as possible.

"Tomorrow."

Lay nodded. "What about Zelo? Is he okay?"

Junri nodded.

It wasn't her who told Lay everything. It was Zelo himself. Lay was quite surprised when he saw the younger male at his doorstep at 1 in the morning. He started crying as soon as Lay opened the door. Lay was quite surprised when the huge boy was suddenly hugging him.

But he listened to what he was going to say. Even if he was half-asleep. It woke him up when Zelo indirectly explained he doesn’t blame him anymore. He felt truly at peace.

That peace was shattered immediately when Zelo broke him the news about Junri's Brain tumors.

He could barely breathe, and the butlers had to give him a paper bag.

"You're beautiful, Junri. Don't hide it." He snatched the shades she was going to wear.

"I was just going to wear them!" She reasoned. But she immediately shrank when Lay raised an eyebrow at her. "What...? I was just... going to... wear them." She mumbled.

He shook his head and put the shades away. "I love your eyes." He said and stared right at them. "I love your nose." He lightly pinched it, making her frown. "I love your cheeks, but I do wish you make them fatten up." He grinned at her as he poked both her cheeks. "I love it when you smile." He said and gently pressed the corners of her lips upward. "Don't ever try to hide it. Any of it. Okay?"

"But Yixing... I look sickly and... frail. Can't I just hide my face until I get better?" She asked. "You're the only one who'd ever love this." She pointed at her face. “And I really don’t like it when people give me pitying looks.”

She did look weak and frail.

"That's the point, isn't it? I should be the only one to love you!" He beamed at her.

Junri just sighed and shook her head. "Either drunk... or high..." She mumbled.

Lay tilted his head to the right. "You know, Junri... I was usually the forgetful one. Right?" She nodded.

"You forgot it was our date, once."

He waved her away. "Forget that one." He grinned at her. "But on one time, I forgot the tickets to the movies I pre-bought on the internet."

"And we ended up going to a cafe instead." Junri continued with a chuckle.

"Yeah... and the one time I forgot my headphones."

"So you dragged me all the way to the mall to help you buy new ones. Where are those, anyway?" She asked.

Lay thought for a while. "I remember putting them inside my drawer and never using them again."

"What? Why?" Junri laughed.

He gave her a look. "I don't think I can live it down when I wear hello kitty headphones in public."

"You said you'd buy anything I picked so I picked the cute ones." She continued laughing.

He chuckled, enjoying the sound of her happiness.

"Yixing?" Junri poked his knee, making him stop laughing and look at her with a small smile.

"Yes?"

"Can we go skating?"

He confusedly looked at her and leaned in, resting his elbows on his knees. "You can barely stand, Junri. I was just kidding around earlier... It's best if we don't do that."

"I can stand. I just need you to support me." She said. "Please? Go rent some skates at the shop there." She pleaded.

And Lay didn't know why... but she looked really determined to skate. So he couldn't do anything but do as she said with a sigh. He put on her skates for her, tying the laces and securing them. He helped her stand up and they slowly skated on the ice.

"Why would you want to skate now?" Lay suddenly asked. "Not that I mind the close proximity." He grinned at her.

She rolled her eyes with a small chuckle. "I just want to try again. You don't know when it'll be my last."

"That's a bad thing to say, Junri. Don't you ever say that again." Lay frowned at her. "There are no more complications... Right?"

Junri looked away.

He stopped and looked at her with an expression that practically begged her to say yes. "Right?"

"My blood is common. So there's already no problem with that. The date is set and the doctors are getting ready. My parents will be flying over, so they'll be there to support me." She said.

"You didn't say yes..." Lay whispered, almost as if she would break if he raised his voice. When in reality, he was the one currently breaking. "What's going to happen, Junri? Tell me."

She hesitated, but said, "There's a big chance it will affect my memories, Yixing... It's like a side-effect."

He let out a shaky breathe and leaned his forehead on hers. They were close enough that she could feel his lips almost brushing on hers.

"What is it with you and amnesia?” He cracked a crooked smile, “What will happen when you forget me again, Junri?" He asked. "What will happen if you don't even know who I am...?"

"Then I'll remember. I did once... I can do it again." She determinedly said. "All you have to do is wait for me. Please?"

Lay pulled away and stared at her. He started taking off his bracelet.

"W-wait!" She panicked.

"Shh..." Lay hushed her gently and put the bracelet on her left wrist. "Once you wake up and remember me, all you have to do is give this back, hmm? I'll wait." He promised with a soft smile.

She nodded. Tears started trickling down from her eyes.

Lay chuckled and wiped them away. "You really shouldn't be crying, Ri. It'll mess your face up before the operation."

She nodded again, but the tears didn't stop. "I'm so sorry for putting you through this, Yixing..." She croaked.

Lay enveloped her in a tight hug. "It's nothing, Junri. I don't have a problem with waiting." He said. *I should be the one apologizing... After all the things I put YOU through...*

She pulled away, smiling. She lightly pecked his cheek, catching him by surprise.

"W-what...?" Lay confusedly blinked, touching his cheek. He could already feel his cheeks burning up. "Did... you...?"

Junri chuckled at his reaction. "You're like a little kid, Yixing..."

Lay leaned his forehead on hers, smiling. "I don't mind."

"I don't either." She calmly said, closing her eyes. "I find it... cute."

"You're talking about an eighteen year old guy. That's not really a nice thing to say." Lay said, making Junri laugh. "But Junri..." He began, "I can safely say you are the cutest thing I've seen so far."

Junri smiled. "Wheelchair and all?"

"Wheelchair and all." He nodded. He led them back to the bench, sitting her on her wheelchair. "I'd wait a decade if I have to just for you, Junri."

She hummed, letting the silence envelope them.

They soon arrived back at Junri's house. It was already 8 PM, and Lay had promised they would be back three hours ago.

"I waited for you two, you know." Zelo greeted them with a frown on his bluish lips. He was sitting on the steps of the front door with only wearing a thin sweater over his t-shirt.

Junri laughed. "I didn't notice the time." She defended. "I had fun, Yixing. I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Wouldn't miss it for the world." Lay promised, tightly holding both her hands before he wheeled her up the make-shift ramp.

Zelo cleared his throat, once again pulling them away from their own little world. He opened the door open for Junri, "They just arrived a few hours ago... They're waiting for you." He informed.

Junri nodded and wheeled herself inside, leaving Lay under the gaze of Zelo.

"I take it you know which part of the hospital we'd be in?" Zelo asked.

Lay nodded with a grin. "It's my family's hospital after all."

"Good, then... See you tomorrow then, hyung..." He smally smiled before closing the door.

Lay started walking to the bus stop. *He doesn't blame me... but I couldn't help but notice he still doesn't trust me.*










Yeah. I know I haven't updated in like, a long time... but the Kris issue really hit me. :c I felt like crying because I felt so helpless and powerless...

But I'll grow to accept it.

Anyway, I'm glad you guys paitently waited :) Thanks. I don't really make the best stories (not even close, actually) but you guys make me feel like I do. So again, thankyou :D