The Surgery

Remembering Myself

"Are you ready for tomorrow?" Mrs Choi asked, closing Junri's door behind her. "You should get some sleep..." Junri shook her head, continuing her drawing and not minding the stern tone in her mothers voice. "I'm just going to draw something for Junhong."

"Can't you do it after tomorrow?" Mrs Choi frowned. She stepped closer to her daughter, peering over her shoulder. "What is that?" She squinted her eyes, not recognizing the drawing. "Zelos. Greek God of Rivalry." Junri answered. "Junhong has kept me calm these past few days... I just want to give him something." She explained. She blew of the eraser dirt and held the perfect sketch up. "You really shouldn't be so hard on him, you know..."

Mrs Choi looked away. "I just need time. I don't really blame him. I'm glad he's safe, actually. What kind of a mother would ever hate her own son?"

"That's good then." Junri nodded and started to put the drawing in her personal Laminator. She took the laminated drawing and placed it on the desk. "And I don't think he really wants to me take care of the companies like he says, umma. Just let him be free." She pleaded.

Mrs Choi sighed, rubbing her temples. She really couldn't say no to anything right now. "Fine. I'll talk to your father. Just sleep, okay? Rest. Have a good night." She said before excusing herself.

Junri wheeled herself to her bed, easing herself on the soft mattress. "I hope I can walk after this..." She whispered with a frown. "It's annoying to be handicapped..." With having to tie herself down to the weheelchair, she had trouble bathing herself, chainging her clothes, and especially going down the staircase to eat breakfast. She needed Zelo to carry her wheelchair and aide her in walking, since she didn't want to be carried. It made her feel like she was useless-even in walking.

She took off her necklace and her new bracelet, putting the two next to each other.

Once again, she really prayed hard for tomorrow.

 

"There! We can buy these." Junri held up the two charms. "I get a necklace chain and you get a bracelet chain. Cool, right?"

"Very." Lay chuckled, amused. "Just so you remember, we're lost and we need to get you home in half an hour. I don't even remember where the bus station is."

"We can worry about that later." She waved it away with a grin. "Come on. Help me pay for these."

"Why compasses anyway?" Lay asked. "That is the complete OPPOSITTE of our situation."

"Exactly. Though fake, it means something." She explained. "Because even though you like left me alone and I got lost," She threw him a pointed look, "we still managed to find each other."

"And be lost together." He continued for her with a smile. "That's actually really good. Let's take them. My treat."

 

*What happens now? You'll be lost on your own then...* She thought. With two charms with her, isn't that what it would mean?

If she didn't remember, that's exactly what he would be.

*Lost.* She sighed. *Yet somehow, we'll both be.*

 

The car ride to the hospital was extremely quiet. Mr Choi was busy driving, so he was out of the question. Mrs Choi was just looking outside leisurely, and Zelo was fiddling with the folded wheelchair beside him. Junri was just too nervous to notice the suffocating silence.

"We're here." Mr Choi announced, parking the car. "I'll meet the Doctor. You three can go to the designated room."

Zelo nodded, setting up the chair and gently helping Junri out of the car to sit.  "I've come to think you enjoy this thing." Zelo joked as he pushed her inside.

"Who would want to be handicapped?" Mrs Choi suddenly asked. Her tone wasn't hostile, just blank. Which made it sound more intimidating.

"It was a joke." Zelo stated, shaking his head. It didn't affect him anymore. If Junri didn't blame him, he would believe her judgement. After all, it was her in that car with him. Why should he listen to someone elses judgement? He and his mother were never close after all. He was only close to Junri and slightly with his father. Maybe that's what made him cling to Junri: The distant relationship he had with his parents.

"Oh." Mrs Choi blinked, slightly embarassed.

"Hey look, the others are here." Junri said, ignoring their previous conversation. True to word, EXO M and B.A.P were waiting outside the room where she would stay in before the surgery.

Lay immediately went to her side, opposite side of Mrs Choi.

"Look at you. Looking better already." He lightly teased with a grin.

Junri shook her head, fighting back her laughter. "You're so stupid, Yixing."

"I can agree with that." Zelo nodded in approval with a small half-smile. "Let's get you in the room. They already put her hospital gown in there, right?"

Lay nodded, opening the door for them, "Yes. I already asked them to. You'll have to help her, though." He meaningfully looked at Mrs Choi with a polite smile. "Hello, by the way, Mrs Choi." He slightly bowed, but all he got in return was a weak smile and a nod from her.

"You'll have to remember me this time, Junri. Or you'll owe me ten cups of coffee." Himchan lightly threatened her, making her smile.

"I'll buy you the whole coffee shop if I'm not able to recall at least your name." She promised.

Lay took the wedding gown that was on the couch and handed them to Mrs Choi. "The bathroom is over there." He nodded at a door.

"Thankyou." Mrs Choi smiled a little and wheeled Junri there. She closed and locked the door behind her and help Junri stand up. "You have a lot of friends, Junri..." She commented as she helped her take her shirt off. "Though all male."

"Yeah... I don't get along that well with females." She shrugged with a smile. "But they're nice, don't you think?"

Mrs Choi hummed. "I can tell more than one has accumilated feelings for you."

Junri stiffly nodded. She had been trying to avoid thinking about that. "Yes. I know. But... there's nothing I can really do about it... Is there?"

"No. I don't suppose so." Mrs Choi shook her head and fitted the hospital gown on her. She helped her back on the wheelchair and wheeled her outside, to the bed.

"That is a little too big, isn't it?" Jongup furrowed his eyebrows. "It's a hospital gown, Jongup. It's not really meant to be fitted." Youngjae stated. Tao turned the tv on, flipping through channels. "I like this room, Lay-ge."

"Good. Maybe you can stay here forever then." Chen muttered, making the room laugh. "That's just mean." Tao pouted, but didn't take his attention off from the screen.

"So what time will it start?" Kris asked. The rooms vibe suddenly dampened. "Just fifteen more minutes." Zelo answered. "And she'll be done in maybe an hour to twelve. The doctor isn't sure."

"That's a long time..." Luhan said. He looked at Junri. "Won't you get hungry at that time?"

Junri rolled her eyes. "I'm not a pig, Luhan."

"You're not?"

Junri slapped him in the arm, making everyone chuckle. "Wow, noona. You're still so manly." Jongup made a thumbs up in her direction.

She merely closed her eyes, trying to hold back. *This kid will get it someday.*

Mrs Choi lightly chuckled at the scene. *Good friends you both have...* She glanced at her daughter, right when Lay whispered closely to her ear. *But is it really okay for him, of all people here, to be more than that?*

 

"The doctors are waiting, Junri ssi." The nurse stepped inside the room. Lay nodded, already preparing the wheelchair. "I'll take her." He said, and the nurse nodded, leaving as fast as she came. He helped her ease herself on the wheelchair. She instinctively held onto his hand.

"You'll be fine. I promise. I checked your file and it seems you're healthy enough. You'll survive. Without a doubt." He said, squeazing back. Her hands were cold, but he didn't mind. His gaze fell on the bracelet. "You're going to wear that during surgery?"

She nodded. "I'm not going without it."

He looked at Zelo for approval, and the younger nodded.

"Let's go then." Daehyun said, pushing the wheelchair.

The way to the surgery room was deathly quiet.

Mr and Mrs Choi held hands on the way, panic evident on their faces. And it surprised Zelo, but Mrs Choi held on to his hand as well.

"Please. Do your best." Lay whispered to the doctor as the hand-off initiated. Junri was now in the hands of a nurse, and she disappeared from their sight with a wave.

"Don't worry, Yixing. She'll live." The doctor reassured.

"The possible outcomes bother me..." Lay admitted.

The doctor sighed. "That is not something we can prevent, Yixing. But we will do our best. Wait in the room you prepared." He said and followed after Junri.

Lay nodded, though no one was there anymore. He turned around. "Let's wait back in the room. She'll be in the ICU for one day, but she'll stay in that room after that." He said. The rest nodded and did as they were told.

"She'll be okay, right?" Luhan asked, low enough for only them to hear.

"I already told you what might happen, Luhan." He reminded. "It can't be prevented... But I hope so."

"I wonder what it'd feel like to be forgotten for the second time." Chen suddenly said, catching everyone's attention. "Less pain or amplified twice as much?"

That question hung in the air. No one could answer it.

"The doctors are capable... She'll be okay." Mr Choi reassured. "Isn't that right, Yixing?"

Lay nodded. He was still unsure of what Junri's parents thought of him. Wether they praised him or they still resented him. "They are. They'll do they're best. And she'll live."

"Will she remember us though?" Yongguk asked.

"It's uncertain..." Lay mumbled, but the whole room heard him. "But if it makes you feel better, she'll buy your friend a cafe if she doesn't."

That managed to make everyone smile a little.

"Besides," Lay added, sitting on the vacant bed. "I trust her. And if she doesn't remember... I know where I'll stand."

"And where is that?" Mrs Choi curiously asked.

Lay looked at her. "Away from her."

"You're insane." Youngjae commented. "After all you've been through to get her back, you're letting her go?"

"Not to mention you had a concussion through the process." Kris pointed out.

"I don't care what happened to me, really." Lay waved Kris away, but his hand landed consciously at the bump at the back of his head. "But you're right." He looked at Youngjae. "After all we've been through... Which is why I'm letting her go. If she forgets me, it means she'll forget the pain I caused. It would make her... happier, wouldn't it?"

"No. It would make her feel empty." Tao said.  "Think it through, ge. You'll regret it sooner or later." He warned.

Lay shook his head. "I already thought it through. This is enough. Fate would decide for me."

"That's retarded." Luhan scoffed. "Seriously? Stop being so weak, Lay. I really can't believe you!"

Lay chuckled. "That's exactly what I am. But I'm willing to try and be strong enough to let her go."

Chen looked at Zelo, hoping the younger had a change of heart. But Zelo was just blankly staring at Lay.

*Maybe I judged him too rashly...* Mrs Choi thought. "If it's any concellation, you're always welcome back, Yixing." She sincerely said. "We'd gladly accept you." Even Mr Choi smiled.

"Thankyou." Lay nodded, smiling back.

No matter how prepared he was for whatever outcome, it still broke his heart when the person who woke up days later couldn’t even remember his name.

 









Yeah. Super late update. I XD