Birthday Party for Two

Remembering Myself

"What does Yongguk have in plan?" Chen asked as he and Junri secretly set the projector. "I brought my netbook with me. Just in case."

"Thanks." Junri exhaled. "I don't know, really. I kept calling him earlier, but he isn't answering his phone. I asked the others if they could contact him, but they couldn't reach him either."

"I'm sure he has a good plan." Chen reassured. "I kinda feel bad we couldn't do that thing we planned though."

Junri smiled. "Yeah. It would've been nice to see Junhong on a wild goose chase. But... I trust Yongguk."

Chen nodded. "Let's go before Zelo suspects anything." Junri nodded back. They walked around the great hall, where people were chatting and socializing with each other. "This sure is one big birthday party."

"I doubt Junhong knows half of these people’s names, though." Junri chuckled. "I think he wanted a small party too, but he couldn't say no to our parents."

"Ah." Chen nodded. "So what's the list of events here?"

Junri thought for a second. "Oh. I think there will just be gift giving, eating, and then just getting acquainted with the birthday boy."

"Doesn't that sound... boring?" Chen furrowed his eyebrows.

Junri proudly smiled. "He wants to get used to it. After all, he's inheriting the hotel business and resort. He's really... responsible."

"That makes two of you then." Chen smiled at her. "Well, looks like he's bored." Chen nodded at Zelo who was sitting on the main table alone. "Go talk to him."

Junri didn't need to be told twice, and sat beside Zelo immediately.

"Why are you so down?" Junri asked.

Zelo sighed. "Did you forget my birthday, noona? I don't see you holding a present. And you went out yesterday..." He pouted.

Junri poked his puffy cheeks. "No, you big baby. I didn't. My present is with someone else, okay? Both of us bought it for you." She smiled. "Don't doubt me, okay? And just wait a little longer for a surprise."

He nodded obediently.

"Is the birthday boy crying?" A deep voice said from behind them. Junri's eyes widened.

"Yongguk! Where have you been?!" Junri sighed in relief. *I thought you would never come.*

"Relax." Yongguk sat on the other side of Zelo. "Watch." He ordered.

"Watch what-" Zelo cut himself off when the lights in the room dimmed. The people hushed as music played. Zelo squinted his eyes, and saw a projection starting to play.

 

“Annyeong Junhong!”

Junri's eyes widened. *Me...?*

“I am... this year old.” The little girl in the video held out 6 fingers. “You're two years younger than me... But I hope you will see this video when we get older some day! Himchan! Show yourself!” The camera rotated, showing a very young looking Himchan who waved. The camera rotated again, back to Junri. “I am planning to film this until we get old... so you can see what it's like to live with you! Even when you just broke my dolls earlier, I'm not mad. I promise! Cross my heart!” The girl giggled. “Saranghae, Junhong! Please watch until the end.”

The clips started to play a video of a young Zelo playing with Junri.

Junri smiled. *I didn't remember this one...*

People laughed, awed, and smiled at the video. It was all a compilation of their sibling life. Along with Zelo's development.

“There you are, dancing on stage, Junhong!” Junri, who was already 11 years old, was pointing the camera at Zelo on stage. “You want me to call you Zelo, but I don't want to.” The crowd chuckled.

Then, the clip moved on to a different setting. A room. And Junri was crying.

“H-hi...” She weakly waved. “We fought today, Junhong... I'm sorry for breaking your skateboard... I didn't mean to... I hope you forgive me.” She sniffled and smiled at the camera.

Junri blinked a tear away.

*The first fight we ever had… And it was all because I was stupid.* Zelo thought with a chuckle.

“It's your 11th birthday! I know I'm a little too old for this, but I just want to you know... have something to remember. Have a happy life, Junhong!”

“Junhong! You won a rapping contest! I'm so proud of you!”

“Today, I saw you crying in your room...” Junri looked about 15 or 16 there. “I couldn't ask you what was wrong... Because I knew already. Don't worry, Junhong. I'm sure you'll find someone who will love you the same way you loved her. A girl who I will hand you over with no doubt. So cheer up, Junhong. I know it's hard, believe me, I do.” She chuckled.

The room went silent, and a sniffle was heard.

“Hey! This will be my last clip, for now.” Junri held out a finger. She was 17. “I'm handing the clips over to Yongguk since we both know how reckless I am.” She chuckled. “It's like a time capsule thing. Except Yongguk is the time capsule. Let's burry him. Just kidding!” Junri laughed, and the audience laughed as well.

"I copied that clip to my computer." Yongguk whispered to Junri who sheepishly smiled at him before turning her attention back to the screen.

“I know you faced a lot, Junhong. I do. Because we've been together all our lives. I know you can face everything. And even when I'm older, I hope you protect me! Noona is weak. I admit that.” Junri laughed. “See you in the future, Junhong! Don't be too hard on me. Bye!” The clip faded.

But there was one last clip.

“Hi there, Junhong. It's me again.” Zelo chewed his thumbnail to keep himself from crying. He knew where she was, and he knew the circumstances he was in during the time the clip showed. “I'm sorry I can't remember you at the moment... But this guy named Youngjae keeps telling me to do this or I'll regret it.” She made a confused face, making the crowd laugh a little. “But anyway, as you know, I have amnesia...” She sighed. The crowd gasped. No one knew about this, but it was safe to release the information now since most of them knew already. “I'm sorry I can't remember you, Junhong. But I know you're important to me. Even when I don't remember you, I'm sure of it. Don't cry for me, please? I promise I'll remember you. Soon.”

The room was lighted again, and the crowd applauded at the teary video.

Junhong wrapped an arm around Junri and chuckled. "The you on the video said I shouldn't cry, doesn't it mean you shouldn't too?"

She wiped off her tears and shook her head. "No. It didn't say anything about that." She chuckled. "Happy Birthday, Junhong."

"Happy Birthday to you too, Noona."

She looked up to him with a confused expression.

"Surprise!" He grinned at her.

Her eye widened. "W-what...?"

"It's funny because you forgot your own birthday." He laughed.

"Junhong! I'm serious!" She slapped his arm.

He continued laughing while shielding himself. "It's true! It's your birthday too! We were born on the same day!"

"Then... How come... How come no one told me?!" She frowned. Not even the guests greeted her.

Zelo shrugged. "I took advantage of the fact you couldn't remember." He smiled. "Surprise, noona."

Lay appeared beside Zelo and handed her a gift.

"I asked him to help me too." Zelo grinned at the confused Junri. "Happy 18th Birthday, noona." He genuinely smiled. He took her hand and made her stand up, putting her hand on Lay's.

He whispered to Lay, "It's just a dance. I'm not handing her over to you."

Lay chuckled and nodded. "I am aware. Thankyou, honestly." He sincerely smiled.

Zelo looked away. "It's nothing." He muttered and went back to the table.

"Come on, Junri. You're wasting a perfectly good song!" Lay pulled her to the dance floor. She was still in a daze, though. "Earth to Junri?"

Junri blinked. "You didn't tell me it was my birthday!" She slapped his chest repetitively.

Lay just laughed and ignored the small sting on his chest. "It wouldn't be a surprise if I did!"

 

"Because happy endings are only for two, right?"

Youngjae jumped. "You scared me." He exhaled. "You didn't have to sneak up on me like that, you know?"

Luhan shrugged. "Are you happy, though? That she's happy? I am."

"Of course I am." Youngjae smiled. "It will pass."

Luhan nodded.

"Since when did those two become close?" Daehyun whispered to Yongguk. They sat on the long table with Zelo and EXO M.

The leader raised an eyebrow at him, "If I'm not mistaken, you've grown close to Xiumin too."

"Because we love food!" He defended. "And how come no one told me about this?! I just prepared a small gift for her. Ya'll will make me look cheap." He grumbled.

"Relax." Himchan chuckled. "It was all named under B.A.P and EXO M. Even if the editing was only done by Yongguk, me, and Kris."

"Kris knew too?" Daehyun's eyes widened.

"The only person who didn't know was you because you weren't picking up your phone last night." Zelo informed.

Chen nodded in agreement. "It was a little hard because you were the one who was supposed to distract Junri. But we managed without you."

Daehyun's jaw dropped. He let his head fall on the table. "Now I feel useless."

"That's okay. That's all you've ever been anyway, hyung."

Daehyun shot Jongup a look, while the rest of the boys chortled.

"Wait-so you KNEW about the video clip?" Daehyun asked Zelo.

He shook his head. "No. I didn't expect it at all. I only thought that I'd get the present noona and Lay hyung bought and then I'd surprise her by giving hers." He explained. "Who planned that anyway?"

"Lay did." Yongguk answered. "It seems he knew about the video diary Junri made a long time ago and contacted me and Himchan since the clips were with us."

"He called me too because I knew how to edit videos." Kris added.

"Huh." Tao blinked. "All this, was planned by Lay ge."

The boys went silent and let themselves digest what Tao said.

"He's a lot more... cunning than he seems." Himchan commented with a chuckle.

"I would rather call it, strategic." Luhan amended.

"Whatever he's called, he's good." Chen said.

*That indeed...* Zelo thought. He watched as the said person danced with his sister. *But can I trust him?*