Chapter 5

The Other Girl

lul
Nayoung sighed and continued to stare out the window. The constant pitter patter of rain drummed in her ears, like a calm lullaby lulling her to sleep. She couldn't quite concentrate on what the teacher was saying. it was like a distant murmur, so far away. She heard a few phrases here and there, something about a history assignment? She zoned out again, mind travelling to the doe eyed boy a year level above her. What was he doing right now? 

Probably thinking about Kyungmi

She scrunch up her face in distaste, the jealousy growing in her heart.

"Wonderful Kyungmi! as expected from the top student in the year level." the teacher exclaimed loudly, taking her away from her train of thought. Kyungmi smiled shyly at the teacher in return. Nayoung rolled her eyes and sneered in the direction of the older girl. Tch, what a show off. why did she have to have Kyungmi in her history class? She used to like history, now it was the worst class in the world. She averted her gaze to the window pane again, concentrating on the rain as it rolled down the glass. 

~~~~

"I will give you three weeks to do this, considering quite a lot of effort needs to be put into this project. This will be a paired assignment, and I will be choosing your partners. You will work with the partner I give you, no if's, but's or maybe's. Any questions?" the Teacher stopped in front of Nayoung, her figure looming over her like a shadow. Nayoung felt the teachers piercing gaze on her. 

She glanced up cockily, "What if you want to work alone?"

"Then too bad. Nayoung, you'll be paried up with Lee Minyoung."
The girl suppressed a growl. She hated group work, she hated it as much as she hated Kyungmi. 
Minyoung waved and smiled when Nayoung made eye contact. she noticed Minyoung's friends nudge each other and laugh, but paid no heed to them. Stupid gossip girls. Nayoung turned around and spotted Kyungmi and D.O, who had 'coincidentally' been partnered together. She scoffed in annoyance, that was definitely favouritism.  

Minyoung walked over to her and plastered on a friendly smile, "So.. Nayoung, how do you want to organise this?"

"Split it in half, and we'll combine the two projects at then end. So choose the four topics you want to cover, and I'll do the rest." Nayoung turned her head uninterested. She was still pissed off at being forced to do a group assignment. She shot a sharp glare at the teacher again before turning her attention back to the girl in front of her.

Miyoung stared at the assignment paper for a few seconds, "Can I do the first four topics?" 
Nayoung inwardly groaned, of course she would choose the four easiest topics to cover. 

"Yeah, go ahead. Finish the research by the second week at the latest, and we'll work on the presentation during the last week." 
Miyoung nodded eagerly and flashed another sunshine like smile. 

__________


Kyungmi sighed in relief when class was finally over, glad that she could get out of there. Nayoung made her uncomfortable, and even being in the same class at her made her feel as small as a mouse. History was always her most feared subject of the week. Nayoung had this dominant aura around her, and whenever Nayoung looked at her, it felt like she was looking through her soul. She wasn't sure why, but looking into her eyes gave her such an unpleasant feeling. 

"So, I'll see you tomorrow morning at the library so we can get this assignment organised." D.O smiled at her, snapping her out of her train of thought. 

"Yeah sure." Kyungmi nodded and they both headed to lunch together.


~~~~


"Is it really okay for me to come over to your house?" Kyungmi pouted and looked up at him worriedly. 

"it's fine, its fine. I'm inviting you." Lu Han casually grabbed her hand and entwined their fingers, causing the girl to blush as red as a tomato. He smirked at her flustered expression and continued, "If your worried about Nayoung, don't be. she can't do anything." Before she could protest, he had already pulled her toward the front of his house. 

He opened the door and guided her in, "We can study in the living room." He bowed and pretended to be a butler, welcoming in a noble to his home, "Welcome princess." 
Kyungmi giggled girlishly and walked in, Lu Han following behind her. Lu Han took her bag off her shoulders and carried it to the living room and threw it in the couch. 

"Wahhhhh, you're house is so big." Kyungmi marveled at the delicate interior, eyes wide with adoration. Lu Han forced himself to bite back a smile. Was it weird that he felt proud at her reaction? He grinned smugly and threw himself on the couch, patting the spot next to him to tell her to sit. Kyungmi sat down awkwardly and grabbed her school bag, hugging it to her chest. She had never stepped foot into a house that looked this expensive before. Her family was on the poorer side, and she lived in a small, yet comfortable home on a quiet street. Going into such a grand mansion-like house was like venturing into a whole new world. She was still trying to soak it in.

"Kyungmi, snap out of it. It's just a house." Lu Han waved his hand in front of her face and laughed when she flushed a light pink. 
"O-Oh right, we need to study." She fumbled with her bag and pulled out a few textbooks. Lu han felt a smile tug at his lips, she was so clumsy, but it was cute. 

 


Nearly an hour had passed when Kyungmi heard the sound of keys. The door opened with a loud 'Lu Han oppa I'm home' and Nayoung walked in. Kyungmi's heart dropped, and Lu Han's smile fell instantly.  

_______

Nayoung hastily opened the door and barged in. She heard Lu Han's voice when she entered, so he was home. The girl felt a smile tug at her lips. 

"Lu Han oppa I'm home." She rushed to the living room with a bright smile, but her mood dropped when she spotted Kyungmi there as well. Why was she here? This was their house, so why was Kyungmi in the living room? The girl had ruined her history class, and now she was invading her house too? She felt the anger boil inside her when Lu Han wrapped an arm around Kyungmi protectively, his expression turning glacial. 

Nayoung bit her lip in annoyance, "Oppa, what's she doing here?" Her voice laced with poison. She narrowed her eyes at the older girl, cursing silently to herself. 

Lu Han looked over to her and glared, "I invited her, and how many times have I told you not to call me oppa?" Nayoung felt a stab at her pride, she had just been rejected in front of Kyungmi. Oh the humiliation. She was used to being rejected by Lu Han, but the embarrassment of being rejected in front of Kyungmi was far worse. Nayoung glared at the couple on more time before quickly running up the stairs to her room, hoping that none of them saw her flushed cheeks.

She muttered under her breath before slamming the door to her room, "Stupid cry baby." 


Lu Han sighed when Nayoung left. He felt bad for being so harsh on her all the time, but that was the only way he could get rid of her. She was as stubborn as a mule. He glanced over to Kyungmi and smiled gently, hoping she wasn't too upset about being called a cry baby. Kyungmi was sensitive, and he had to make sure she wasn't upset. He did agree that she was more on the emotional side, but calling her a cry baby was a bit harsh. 

"Gwenchana, come on, let's study." Lu Han gently placed a hand on her cheek smiled reassuringly.
The two resumed studying and furiously writing down notes for the next hour or so. 
  
~~~~

Ding dong.

Lu Han averted his gaze from his textbook to the door, brows knitted in a confused frown. He was pretty sure he didn't invite anyone over, and Kyungmi hadn't either. And who would come at five in the afternoon? He got up and opened the door, and was greeted by an enthusiastic grin. It was Lee Taemin, his classmate. Taemin was a close friend of Kai's, they were practically brothers. Taemin's friends were pretty close to them as well. 

"Hey Lu Han!" The said male waved happily and stepped into the house, "Hey your house is pretty nice." 

"Thanks," a friendly chuckle, "but why are you here?" Lu Han pulled a confused face, causing Taemin to laugh. 

"I'm here for Nayoung," he showed Lu Han a large plastic bag full of snacks. The deer scrunched his face up. He was here for Nayoung? It had never, ever crossed his mind that they could be friends. He just never imagined Nayoung being friends with anyone besides her clique or gossip girls. Before the male could ask why, he heard running feet from upstairs. A loud 'Taemin oppa!' Interrupted him and an overly excited Nayoung ran down the stairs. Lu Han watched amused as she flew down the stairs and ran up to greet him. 

"What are you doing here? Taemin oppa, how did you even find out where I lived?" Despite her questions, Lu Han could tell she was ecstatic. He almost laughed at how happy Nayoung was, she seemed to have reverted back to a five year old child. 

Taemin laughed good naturedly, "Well you said you were hungry," he pointed to the bag of snacks. The banana milk loving teenager turned to Kyungmi, who was still frozen on the couch, "Hey Kyungm-" 
Nayoung quickly slapped a hand over Taemin's mouth to stop him from talking. She narrowed her eyes angrily in Kyungmi's direction. 

"Don't talk to the likes of her." She sneered again with an unpleasant attitude, pouting childishly. 

"Arrasso, arrasso," he ruffled her hair, the way an older brother would to their dongsaeng, and let her drag him up the stairs. Just before he disappeared from sight, Taemin mouth a sorry and gave Kyungmi an apologetic look, telling them that he didn't mean it. 

When the two disappeared upstairs, Lu Han breathed a frustrated sigh. Why was Taemin treating her like such a princess? Why was he agreeing with her when she was being such a little snob? Ugh. He hated girls like that. He sighed, running a hand through his curls. His emotions were stirring up again.

 

____________

annyeong everyone again :D 

this chapter was a bit shorter than usual, and I wasn't quite happy with hiw this chapter turned out :/ 

sorry guys~ 

thankyou for everyone that's subscribed, commented and upvoted. I really appreciated all your support.