Chapter 33

The Other Girl

“You knew about the divorce and didn’t tell me?”

Uh Oh.

Lu Han had hoped he’d get a little more time to think it over. But then again, he had been putting it off for an extremely long time, and he was probably asking for too much.

He took a tentative glance at his girlfriend, and felt his guilt grow as he noticed the tears in her eyes. Man, he made a big mistake.

“I-I kind of wanted a little bit of time…” He rubbed the back of his neck, avoiding eye contact as best as he could as Kyungmi stared at him helplessly. How did she find out in the first place?

The girl clenched her fists, a bit of time? For what? To think it over? But why would he need to think it over? She felt as though someone had stabbed her in the chest; tears were prickling her corners of her eyes. It hurt. All the insecurities she had felt, those feelings of fear and anxiety that had grown as time went on. It felt like they had all accumulated and suddenly crushed her chest all at once.

She drew a shaky breath, “But you promised. Remember?”

Lu Han froze at her words. He promised. Those words sent a wave of realisation through him. And everything seemed to come crashing down. And something inside him snapped.  

What the hell was he doing all this time?

He had a girlfriend for god’s sake. And from the very beginning he had been trying to get a divorce. Because he loved Kyungmi. He had been with her for years, so why was he jeopardising everything for an annoying, clingy girl? What was he thinking?

This wasn’t right. He couldn’t be doing this; he had to fix this. And despite the protesting, uncomfortable burning in his chest, he told myself that he had to stop. Because he would only end up hurting both of them.

 

~~~~

 

Nayoung scowled at Lu Han as the male left the house. What was wrong with him? He just made breakfast, and left. Without even saying anything. She had pestered him all morning, and he didn’t even spare a glance in her direction. Where were all the insults he’d usually throw in her direction? Where were his not so encouraging words of comfort in the morning? Where was compulsory wakeup call? He didn’t even comment on her sloppy eating habits this morning. He didn’t even stay to eat with her.

The girl frowned at her breakfast, which was now turning cold. She pushed it to the side and stood up; she wasn’t hungry anymore anyway. Unpleasant thoughts ran through her head. At first she was angry, why was he suddenly just ignoring her? She didn’t even get an explanation. Then her anger turned to worry, did she do something that upset him? Were her pranks getting too out of hand? He’d been like this for days. But the worry quickly turned to concern; maybe he was feeling unwell? What if he was sick? Or had a headache?

 

Her forehead wrinkled as a scowl donned her features. The girl punched in his number on her phone and called. If he was feeling unwell he should stay at home. She paced the room as the ringing continued, but felt her frustration grow when he didn’t pick up after her third call.

That idiot.

She grabbed her stuff and ran out of the house. If she arrived at school a bit earlier she might be able to hunt him down.

 

_____________________

 

Chen narrowed is eyes at his hyung that had just arrived at school. Something was wrong. He could feel it.

“Hey hyung.” The power vocal greeted sceptically.

Lu Han turned to him and smiled his usual smile, “Jongdae, what’s up?” Chen couldn’t help but raise an eyebrow, Lu Han seemed normal enough. Maybe he was just imagining things.

“Lu Han oppa!” Kyungmi greeted as she made her way towards them from the direction of the library.

Did Lu Han look a little more awkward and tense this morning? Or was he just making this up himself? Chen wondered to himself as he heard a reply from his hyung. He brushed the suspicion off. It was probably him being overly sensitive. He was just looking too much into it. He probably just had a crappy weekend.   

Was what he thought. That is, until he received a text from a certain obnoxious queenka.

 

Kang Nayoung:

Jongdae! Is Lu Han okay?

Sent 8:47

 

Chen:

He looks fine… What’s wrong?

Sent 8:47

 

Kang Nayoung:

Okay, that’s good. Don’t worry about.

Sent 8:47

So something was ­amiss. Nayoung never kept her distance like this. If something was wrong she’d usually just come straight up to Lu Han’s face and say it. She’d never go as far as asking him for help.

Chen put his phone back into his pant pocket, and decided he should go find Nayoung. Because from all the Asian drama and shoujo manga he read, he had learnt that when a girl tells you not worry about it. You better freaking worry about it.

He was prepared to run around the whole school to find her, except he didn’t have to look very far. The girl was only a few meters away from them, hiding (she was doing a pretty poor job at it) behind a pillar as she spied on Lu Han. He almost laughed out loud at the serious glint in her eyes, the way her lips would purse into a thin line as she glared at Lu Han. It was kind of cute.

Without even the slightest thought about her reputation, he decided to let the whole world know of her existence.

“Nayoung. You’re being really obvious. Just come out.”

He saw a brief glimpse of her flustered expression before her school bag came flying at his face, smacking him dead centre.

“Yah! S-Shut up!”

The girl, in an attempt to cover up her embarrassment, marched over and punched him in the gut. Chen could feel the air leave his lungs. She punched like a man; a really buff, muscular, Kim Jong Kook like man.

“Nayoung? What the hell are you doing?” Lu Han seemed to turn stiff as his eyes met her burning ones.

She pointed a finger at him, “We need to talk.”

That was when Chen noticed a change. Lu Han’s eyes had become guarded. “No we don’t.”

“We do. Now shut up and come with me.” The queenka grabbed him arm with her small hand, and proceeded to drag him away.

 “Yah. That hurts!” Lu Han’s voice was missing his warm tone.

“If you stop resisting then it won’t hurt.” Nayoung had also noticed the coldness in his tone, and her eyes darkened.

“Nayoung! What are you doing?” Kai shouted at the two retreating figures, making an attempt to chase after them. He was stopped by Chen.

“Let them talk. I feel like this is important.”

 

______________

 

 

“What do you want?” He flinched at Nayoung’s angry glare, despite the tone he had used with her.

The girl bit her lip and took a deep breath, “I don’t know what I did to make you angry. But I’m sorry.” For a moment Lu Han was taken back. The girl had just discarded her pride so easily and apologised. She never did that. “So stop ignoring me.”

Lu Han wanted to stop. He wanted to so badly. But he knew better than to give in. Because it was the right thing to do.

“You don’t have to apologise. You didn’t do anything wrong.”

“The why are you ignoring me?”

There was pause as Lu Han stared at his hands,”… I have my reasons.”

“Well you have pretty ty reasons if you can’t even tell me.” Lu Han hid a smile that was tugging at his lips. What a typical Nayoung reply.

He turned to leave, when she spoke again. “Don’t ignore me. You promised to help me make cookies this week. And we have to go grocery shopping because we’re out of two minute noodles. And you told me you’d help me with my maths homework.”

“You can do all of that yourself. Just follow the recipe for the cookies, and ask Taemin to come over if you’re really struggling. And just ask the teacher with your maths homework.”

“But it’s boring.” Nayoung frowned.

 ­And lonely.

Lu Han bit his lip, this was a lot harder than he thought it’d be. “That’s not my problem.”

Nayoung felt a pang in her chest. Why was he being such a prick? Why was he avoiding her so much? The hammering in her chest was becoming uncomfortable. It almost hurt.

“You’re an idiot. You know that?” She shouted angrily at his back as the male left.

She didn’t even get a reply.

 

____________

 

Lu Han blew a raspberry as he headed for his classroom. It was frustratingly hard to keep up the façade. A lot more difficult than he originally imagined, due to the girl’s stubborn personality.  

 

“You’re an idiot. You know that?”

 

Yeah. I know.

 

~~~~

 

Lu Han was drifting away, and it hurt to see everything she had worked for slowly disappearing. Nayoung let out a despairing sigh, “Back to square one huh?”

He no longer played along with her jokes; he didn’t like he used to. He didn’t stay for breakfast. Sometimes there’d be no breakfast on the table. The little smiles he sent her whenever they met eyes. The gentle way he’d touch her hair when he was bored. The moments when they would just laugh for hours over nonsense that wasn’t even funny. Gone. It was all gone.

And it was unbearably lonely. So, so lonely.

Sometimes she’d take a glance at the group of 13 on the table neighbouring hers during lunch times. And she’d just get so frustrated at her so called husband that she’d forget about her food altogether. She knew the time the spent together wasn’t just nothing. It had value, and was just as important to him as it was to her. Or so she hoped.

She knew he was faking it. No matter how good his acting was, no matter how strong his walls were. She saw all of the little imperfections in his façade. Like how when he smiled, it wouldn’t always reach his eyes. How he never initiated skin ship. How she’d sometimes hear a tired sigh escape his lips when he thought she wasn’t watching. As self-centred and narcissistic as it seemed, she knew he cared about her. She was important to him. So it annoyed her to no end when he just kept faking it. Saying he didn’t care when he really did. Who did he think her was? Some heroine of a monodrama?

“Just man up already, you sissy.”

 

 


________________________

Chapter's a bit short sorry. But i didnt want to start another plot point because then the story woud be too long. 

Mircrosoft word did the editting so I didn't actually proof read but yeah XD

 

Thanks for subbing, commenting and upvoting. Seriously, reading the comments really motvates me to write more. 

 

I love you all! <3