Chapter 10

The Other Girl

 


Lu Han checked his watch for the fiftieth time in the past five minutes. He cursed under his breath, forcing his muscles to work faster, willing his feet to increase his speed. He felt a dull pain in his chest and his throat was parched from running for so long, but he ignored both and continued on. He was running late. Really late, and he was sure that if he didn't hurry up his friends would be pissed off, if they weren't already. 
_________

"Aish.. This hyung and his tardiness." D.O crossed his arms in a disapproving matter. He shook his head disappointedly and turned back to the rest of the group, who were standing around boredly. 

Lotte World was having a winter holiday special today, and so the EXO boys had decided to have a day out. And because Kai and Taemin were best friends, that naturally meant the dancing maknae would come along. But then of course that also meant Minho, Key, Jonghyun and Onew were going to join in in the fun. Now, the large group of 16 good looking guys were standing around awkwardly, trying their best to ignore the swooning girls around them. Everyone was trying to resist the urge to call the deer eyed male, and scream at him for being almost half an hour late. 

Suho tapped his phone impatiently, "Okay guys, I'm going to-" 

"I'm here!" 

The attention switched from the leader to the exhausted male that had just arrived. He was panting heavily, bent over with his hands on his knees. Lu Han's hair was in a disheveled mess and his jacket was slung carelessly over his shoulder, making it blatantly obvious that he had been running. 

"You're finally here!" Xiumin almost jumped on his dongsaeng. 
Lu Han rubbed his neck sheepishly as he stumbled over his explanation, "Sorry guys." He seemed to be apologising more frequently nowadays, "I was stuck in heavy traffic, so I just decided to run here." 

"I kind of feel like murdering you for being so late, but seeing the state your in, I'd say your already half dead." Kris looked at how tired Lu Han looked, and smiled a little bit, he totally deserved it. The group settled into a casual atmosphere, talking amongst themselves. 

A larger crowd seemed to be growing around the guys, now that a 17th extremely good looking male had joined the already massive group. You'd almost think they were celebrities. The swooning girls failed terribly at being discreet, and no matter how hard they tried to pretend that they were just 'looking around for something to do', it was obvious that they were just trying to catch a glimpse of the handsome men. People sent envious glares, that didn't go unnoticed, at the only two girls amongst the group; Kyungmi and Taemin's girlfriend Minhee.

Kyungmi seemed to be uncomfortable under their judgmental eyes. She ducked her head so that her bangs could cover up her face, averting her eyes toward the grey pavement beneath her feet. The girl could almost feel their burning gazes boring into her head. She snuck a quick glance at Minhee; she seemed almost oblivious to the stares she was getting. The girl was playing around and joking along with Taemin as if nothing was wrong at all, as if the girls around them weren't trying to kill her with their eyes. 

Lu Han snuck a quick glance to his left, and his fact twisted into a worried frown when he noticed Kyungmi. She was insecure again. He took a small step closer to his girlfriend, reaching out cautiously to hold her hand, entwining their fingers. The girl jumped slightly in surprise at the contact, but let a smile grace her features when she felt his warmth. Lu Han smirked satisfactorily, concentrating on not letting his grin grow too much. 

"Ahem," Onew cleared his throat loudly to grab the two love birds' attention, "why don't we get going?" 

Kyungmi's face turned beat red, she could feel the heat radiating off her cheeks and no matter how hard she tried, the colour wouldn't fade. Lu Han shifted his eyes away from Onew, pulling his hand out of his girlfriend's grasp to rub the back of his neck sheepishly. Damn, that was embarrassing. He glared at his friends for snickering at him, and kicked Chanyeol in the when he heard the giant mutter the words 'I'm kind of glad I'm single now.' 

~~~~

Baekhyun glanced at Chanyeol. He nudged his same aged friend and pointed in front of him, in the direction Lu Han and Kyungmi were. Both guys noticed that there seemed to be a larger distance between the two than usual. They were both awkwardly glancing at each other, and then hastily looking away when they would make eye contact. Overall, it was just an uncomfortable situation. Chen bit his bottom lip to stifle his laughter, the two were so awkward it was hilarious. 

"Hey guys, why are they so awkward with each other? Is it because they got caught by Onew?" Chen popped up between Baekyeol and stared at the back of Lu Han's head mischievously, "It looks like they need some time alone together." 

Baekhyun and Chanyeol both grinned at him, knowing exactly what he meant.

~~~~

 And so, that was how Lu Han, Taemin, Kyungmi and Minhee ended up walking around Lotte World  together.
 
The chinese guy sighed tiredly, those three idiotic beagle line members were so infuriating sometimes. They were all lining up to go on a ride. Key muttered something about having 'couple time' and then everyone just ran away, leaving only the two couples behind. Before he even knew what was going on, all 15 boys had already disappeared into the crowd. 

Lu Han kicked his shoe into the ground childishly, feeling dejected about the fact that he had been ditched. 

It wasn't like he didn't want to walk around with Kyungmi, he was more than fine with that, it was just that he kind of wanted to hang out with his friends today. Lotte World was always more fun with more people, and he wanted to spend the day with his hyungs and dongsaengs. The doe eyed male was pulled from his thoughts when he heard Minhee's distinctive whine. 

"Guys I'm so hungry I think my stomach is eating itself," The girl's face twisted into a pained grimace, clearly over exaggerating. 

Taemin rolled his eyes at His girlfriend, "You're so lame. It's not that bad, I'm not even hungr-" he stopped mid sentence when his stomach made a dying whale sound. Minhee fell into a fit of giggles, temporarily forgetting the hunger that was eating away at her gut. 

"I don't think I've ever heard such a wonderful sound come from someone's stomach before. You've got quite a talent there Taeminnie." She swung her arm around Taemin's shoulder, walking on her toes because he was so tall. 

The embarrassed male shoved Minhee playfully, "Shut up, and don't call me that." 

Lu Han let a gentle chuckled leave his throat. Those two were so amusing. He had never witnessed a normal conversation between the two. Not once had he heard them talk like a couple would. They were always insulting each other, or teasing each other like they were best mates. He wasn't sure what it was— maybe it was the warmth in Taemin's eyes when he looked at her, or maybe the gentle way he would smile at her—but even though they didn't act like it, anyone would be able to tell they were a couple. It seemed so different to the way he interacted with Nayoung, he seemed to treat her more like a younger sister. Maybe there really wasn't anything going on between them after all. He allowed himself to indulge in the satisfaction for a brief moment, before he realised that he was thinking about Nayoung again. 

He glanced over at Kyungmi and smiled at her, his footsteps slowing to match her pace. No words were exchanged between the two, and Lu Han didn't make an attempt to hold her hand. They had never been the touchy type, and walking side by side was enough for him. Kyungmi and him weren't people that liked skinship much. Holding hands wasn't that common, and the most intimate thing they had ever done was a hug. But Lu Han didn't mind, he never had the urge to do anything other than that anyway, he was content. And he was pretty sure Kyungmi was too. 

Taemin and Minhee slowed their pace , joining the slower two. 

"We should do this again sometime, but next time we won't get ditched by the others," The SHINee maknae laughed good naturedly. 

Kyungmi tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear with a smile, "Yeah, we should." 

"Nayoung should come next time." Lu Han turned to Taemin, shocked that his sunbae's voice was so girly and high pitched. His mouth fell open, and he was left confused and slightly bewildered. Was his hearing okay? 

It took him a while to realise that it wasn't Taemin that spoke, it was Minhee. But he was still left just as surprised. Wait... Minhee wanted Nayoung to come along? Did that mean Minhee liked her? He couldn't quite get his mind around it. 

"You actually want her to come with us?" Lu Han blurted the words out without thinking, but he was too confused to notice the disapproving look Taemin was giving him. 

Minhee her lips embarrassedly, "Well not exactly.. I don't mind her, but..." She glanced at her boyfriend before turning back to Lu Han, "Taemin really wants her to come along so..." She trailed off, not knowing how to continue the sentence, "What do you think?" 

Lu Han's face scrunched up into a scowl automatically. No way. Never. Ever. Nayoung could not come along with them. If she came she'd cling to him like a monkey on a tree. She'd act spoilt and make him buy everything. She'd annoy his friends. She'd bully Kyungmi. She'd make Kyungmi cry. She'd piss him off. And she'd ruin everything. She would be like a little devil. Lu Han shuddered, even the thought was making a chill run down his spine. 

He didn't even notice that he had stopped walking. 

When he finally looked up from the concrete ground, the male noticed that Kyungmi and Minhee had already walked a fair distance ahead. Taemin stayed behind, waiting for the two girl's to walk further away. As soon as the two girls were out of earshot, Lu Han blurted out the question that had been itching in his throat for the whole day, it had been bothering him the whole week as well. The words just tumbled out of his mouth, he hadn't even realised what he said until after the words were already out in the open air. 

"Why do you like Nayoung so much?" Taemin gave him a knowing smile, as if he was waiting for Lu Han to ask. 

The SHINee member grinned cheerfully, "She's actually a really nice girl once you get to know her." Lu Han resisted the urge to add a sarcastic comment. He couldn't see her as anything other than being a thoughtless, careless, clumsy, idiot. The only thoughts that came to mind when he heard the name 'Kang Nayoung' was that she was unpleasant and annoying. 

"I don't see it." 

"I know she isn't exactly the nicest of people, but she's actually pretty sweet on the inside." 

"Still don't see it." 

Taemin paused for a while, and Lu Han was about to change the topic until he heard him speak again. His voice was distant, as if he was in deep thought. 

 

"Maybe you're just not looking hard enough." 


_____________

 

 

 

 

 

Waaaaaaaa I'm so sorry for not updating last week TT.TT 

I suddenly got a load of homework and I didn't have time to write. I'm so sorry >.< 

I had a bit of trouble writing this chapter because I couldn't make it sound right, and I'm still not satisfied with the way it turned out but I couldn't keep everyone waiting for another week. 

On the plus side I have two weeks of holidays to write some more so hopefully I can update regularly c: 

Thankyou for everyone thats subscribed and commented. Special thanks to Xcxm_ and norinka for upvoting.