Chapter 12

The Other Girl


Lu han's eyes fluttered open. He slapped a hand to his face and breathed a tired sigh, throwing his Hello Kitty plush toy at the window in a futile attempt to block out the sunlight. It was surprisingly bright today, the sun usually wasn't up so high in the sky when he woke up in the mornings. He rolled over onto his side and reached beneath his pillow to find his phone. After fumbling clumsily with his hands for a few good moments, his fingers brushed over the cold plastic case of his phone. The male squinted against his phones brightness, his eyes slowly adjusting to the glaring light. He swiped a few times with his finger to check the time. 

Thursday.

7:10 am.

 

 


 Crap.  

 


He had woken up late. A frustrated groan tickled his throat and he ran a hand through his golden locks. If he didn't hurry the hell up he'd have to face the queenka. He rolled off the bed, landing on the floor in a messy heap of blankets, pillows and soft toys. He forced himself to a sitting position and blindly searched around the room with his arms as a guide. Lu han heard his back crack and he grimaced. He had slept in an awkward position last night and everything hurt. Feeling the familiar sensation of metal buttons stitched onto fabric, he grabbed his school uniform and pulled it over his head. 

Having hastily packed in bag and completed his morning routine, the male trudged down the steps. His pace extremely slow compared to before. Lu Han had given on the idea of trying to get out of the house before the princess woke up halfway. It was already 7:30, he'd never get out on time unless he skipped breakfast. But breakfast was important. 

He reached into the fridge for milk and egg, and then searched through his cupboards for flour and other ingredients to make pancakes. He habitually brought out enough for two servings— having gotten used to making breakfast for both him and Nayoung over the past few weeks. The male decided that even though he didn't particularly like the girl, he still couldn't allow someone to live off two minute noodles and frozen meals for the rest of their life. And after the first few day, it just came naturally to make two servings of everything now. 

He grumbled in complaint as he cooked, stabbing the pancakes, taking his anger out on the food. The stupid girl had kept him up all night with her whining about maths homework. Every time he was drifting off to sleep, he'd either hear a loud thump, a high pitched yell, or a frustrated 'Oh my god why does this not work'. It was actually quite amusing at first, but by 2 am in the morning he had already lost all his patience. She was probably more tired than he was, and he shouldn't be complaining, but Nayoung seriously needed to learn how to keep her damn voice down. 

He was just about done with plating up when the sound of soft footsteps came down the stairs. His eyes shifted from the syrup covered pancakes to the petite figure coming down the stairs. Nayoung trudged down with sloppy steps, feet slapping heavily against the floor. Her hair was in a tangled bird's nest. The usually straight ebony coloured strands were sticking out in odd directions, framing her face in the most unflattering ways possible. Her wrinkled oversized t-shirt and baggy pants made everything even worse. The girl's pajama shirt was so large her sleeves went past her hands. He was pretty sure those clothes would fit him. They looked like the perfect size for a 178 cm male. It didn't take him long to realise that they were his clothes. A wave of annoyance pulsed through him. Wow, what a little brat. Even going to the extent of stealing his clothes to wear. 

The annoyance was short lived when Nayoung tripped on her pajamas pants. Lu Han's posture stiffen, that was going to be a harsh fall. The floor was tiled, and if she did fall, it would have been almost a three meter drop. He sighed in relief, his shoulder's relaxing, when she regained her balance. Lu Han never thought she would trip over her own trouser pants as she dragged herself to the kitchen. He had expected her to come down fully dressed, walking down like she was Cinderella and had just entered the ball. He did not expect this. The sight was so incredibly unladylike that it was hilarious. 

Lu Han bit his lip in an attempt to stifle his laughter. It was just so.. Odd. To see the school queenka, who was always so flawless, wake up looking like a hobo. It was pretty funny. He had never seen Nayoung without styled hair, without carefully groomed features, without perfectly ironed clothes, and he had never believed he would ever see her so frazzled in his life. It was amusing, and surprisingly, it was really... cute..ish.

But Lu Han would never admit that. 

He felt a chuckle rise up into his throat that he couldn't suppress. The sound caught Nayoung's attention, and Lu Han readied himself for one of her scary glares, but the girl merely yawn and waved her hand as to shoo him away. She was too tired to care. She plopped down on the chair and her head collapsed onto the table with a loud thump. Lu Han just stared at her blankly, not quite knowing how to react to such a bizarre situation. 

"Uhhh.." Lu Han broke into a giddy grin, "You hit the table pretty hard, did you hurt yourself?" 

He got a string of incoherent mumbles as a response. The doe eyed male pushed a plate of pancakes toward her, a smirk tugging at his lips when she only murmured strange noises into the table. After a few silent minutes of just lying there like a corpse, Nayoung pushed herself up in a sitting position. She rubbed her sore cheek, which had been pressed against the table seconds before. Her sleepy eyes were half open, and she had deep eye bags that were almost as bad as Tao's. 

Nayoung dug into the pancakes like a ravenous beast. Lu Han wasn't even sure if she was chewing or not. She was practically inhaling the whole plate, breathing it in like air. If he didn't know any better, he'd have thought she had been starved for years. He stared, completely stunned, at the girl as she devoured her food. He bit back a laugh, she looked so undignified when she ate. Once again, he had discovered a side of Kang Nayoung that he had never seen before. The school queenka, as composed and graceful as a swan, discarded all of her elegance in the face of food. He had never expected something so bizarre, and he couldn't believe someone so sophisticated could eat with such gluttony. It was so out of character that it was comical. It was a change from the usual cold, cocky aura that followed her everywhere. But it was a rather refreshing change. 

 


Lu Han hadn't even noticed he was staring until Nayoung gave him a strange look. 

"Oppa, stop staring at me. It's creepy." 

But despite her warning, Lu Han didn't look away. No, he couldn't look away. 

"Shut up, and I'm not your oppa," a hint of a smile played on his lips. 

Nayoung was so different. She seemed so innocent and childlike. The sleepiness had dulled the sharpness in her eyes. He could finally see a small glint of emotion in her usually icy gaze; and a softness he hadn't noticed before. The girl looked younger; she actually looked her age. She didn't look like the intimidating queenka that was out to hurt people. There was no malicious intent in her actions. She just looked like a fragile child. This side of her was like a whole new person, but he knew that as soon as she stepped into the school, her personality would take a 360 degree turn. 

But Lu han liked this Nayoung. He wouldn't mind waking up late everyday for this. Actually, he would gladly take the offer if she was always like this in the mornings. It would be nice if they could have a conversation without breaking out into an argument after a few sentences. It'd be nice if she didn't look at him with her usual scary eyes. It would be nice if he wasn't always her enemy. 

No, he shouldn't be thinking like this. She was the other girl and she was trying to ruin his relationship. She was the 'bad guy', and he shouldn't be going soft toward the bad guy. He shook his head to purge himself of his unwelcome thoughts. She was just the other girl, and she wasn't supposed to be anything more than that.

The male was taken away from his thoughts when he heard her voice. 

"Thanks for making breakfast for me every morning." 

Lu Han was taken back by her words. He had expected her to be picky and demand him to make her a fancier breakfast, or maybe completely ignore his consideration, but the idea of her thanking him had never entered his mind. He didn't ever think she would even be able to utter those words to him at all. He looked up to meet her eyes, and he nearly fell off his chair when she gave him a small smile. It was barely noticeable, but it was genuine. It wasn't cruel, sarcastic, fake. It wasn't like all the other smiles he had seen; it was actually sincere. Lu Han looked away and refused to meet her gaze again, afraid that if he did he would start to think about something he didn't want to. He failed to notice the slight jump in his heartbeat. 

Lu Han stabbed a fork into his pancakes, just remembering that they were there. The two ate in a comfortable silence, the older male sneaking glances every now and then. It was so rare to see her like this, so he couldn't help but feel he had to make the most of this opportunity. 

"Lu Han oppa."

 He sighed a little on the inside, she was so stubborn. He had lost count of the multiple times he told her specifically not to call him oppa. 
"Hmm?" He replied distractedly.

"These pancakes are nice." 

"Of course, I made them." 

He turned to look at her, and the girl broke out into a large grin, "Tch, so cocky." 

"Tch, so bratty." Lu Han imitated her tone, half joking but half serious at the same time. Nayoung scowled at him. She 'hmmpf'ed immaturely and crossed her arms, sticking her nose up in irritation. The male sighed in exasperation, but couldn't help the slight tug at the edge of his lips. The two ate without saying anything further, only a soft clinking of metal against china broke the almost complete silence. 

Lu Han's thoughts travelled as he chewed on his breakfast. He wondered how to explain to his friends that he was late. A stab of guilt hit him when he realised that Kyungmi was waiting for him. She planned to miss her club meeting to show him something important this morning. And he probably wasn't going to get to school on time for her. He should have hurried to get to school, he shouldn't be taking so much time to eat breakfast, he shouldn't be leisurely taking his time when Kyungmi was waiting for him at school. 

But he still did anyway. 

____________

When he finally arrived at school, he was greeted by a bombardment of questions and curious eyes. 

"Hyung! Why are you late?" 

"We've been waiting ages for you." 

"I thought you weren't even showing up. Kyungmi thought you got sick." 

Lu Han blew a raspberry at all the questions, his friends were so busy talking he didn't even get the chance ti explain himself, "Guys calm down, I just slept in because Nayoung kept me up all night with her whining." 

Sehun shook his head, "Geez, and I was finally getting used to you coming to school early. Now you've gone back to your usual time."  

His eyes automatically searched for Kyungmi, and he spotted her standing shyly behind Chen and Baekhyun. "Kyungmi, I'm sorry for being late." He smiled apologetically at the girl. 

Kyungmi shook her head, "No.. It's okay. Maybe next time?" She laughed awkwardly and touched the back of her neck, attempting to mask the disappointment on her features. But of course, Lu han didn't miss the forced smile she gave him. He felt a small pinch at his heart. God, he was being so inconsiderate. How could he have forgotten that he was supposed to meet her this morning? He never was the type to forgot such things. He wondered why he had been so distracted as of late.  Maybe he was just tired from the recent events. Yeah, that seemed about right. 

He was just tired because he didn't sleep that much the night before, he told himself. 


_______

New chapter wooo! 

I just realised that I'm really bad at writing fluff, I've been trying to write some fluff for Kyungmi and Lu Han... But it never works TT.TT

It's Lu Han's birthday today~ I can't believe he's already halfway to 50 *^* Here's a celebratory gif. 

Hahahaha aw he's so precious. Lu Han control your face plz xD

Once again thanks for reading~ 

 

Especially exosaranghae0, startravelmallow, kaiholic98 and nana 002 because you guys are awesome and upvoted lol