Chapter 23

The Other Girl

 

"Hey Hyung, are you sure Nayoung's not secretly stalking you?" Baekhyun glanced over in the direction of the small gift shop across the road, his face scrunching up in suspicions when he saw her figure enter the store. His other friends also turned in that direction with a frown. Lu Han sighed tiredly, slapping a hand to his face. 

"For the fifth time, she's not stalking us. Nayoung needed to go buy a gift here, leave her alone guys." 

Baekhyun bit his lip, still suspicious, but complied with his wishes. 

Lu Han secretly stole a glance across the road, feeling a tiny little bit if irritation spark inside of his chest. This morning, she had told him she was going to get a present for someone, and asked him to help her. Since Nayoung had always been the 'all about me' type, hearing that she was going to get a present for someone else was pretty amazing, and he was all for helping her. Until he found out it was for Taemin. Which irked him quite a lot for reasons he didn't know. 

And so here he was, with his friends, going to get ice cream instead of helping her find a present for Taemin. 

"Hey Lu Han, let's quickly get ice cream here before we go okay?" Chen and Lay pointed to the shop at the exact same time, laughing as they did so. 

"Yeah, sure." 

~~~~

"Well, We have to get going." 

"Me too." 

"I think I should get going too." Lu Han waved to his friends as they left, turning and walking down the street to get to the bus stop as well. He popped the last scoop of icecream into his mouth before throwing his rubbish in a nearby bin. A smile spread on his lips, it had been while since he'd been able to just go out and relax like that. The sun was slowly beginning to set, casting beautiful warm oranges and pinks streaks across the sky. It was such a beautiful setting. The male breathed in a deep breath, enjoying the sensation of the stress leaving his tense shoulders. 

His short moment of peace was short lived. Lu Han's good mood completely dampened when he spotted Nayoung across the street. The girl was holding a large gift bag, her present for Taemin safely wrapped inside. But it wasn't the present that irked him, it was the group of four guys surrounding her that had destroyed his mood. 

They were across the street from him, but Lu Han heard every word they said. 

"You're pretty cute. What's your name?" 

Lu Han felt a twinge of annoyance inside of him when the male slung an arm around her shoulder in a sleazy manner. How dare he initiate so much much skinship with a girl he didn't even know? His anger flared. 

"Get off me." She dead panned rudely, sending a glare in the direction of the males. A little bit of pride swelled in his chest as he watched her reject the guy. 

Lu Han's hands clenched into fists when the guys erupted into laughter, only moving closer to her. He rolled his eyes at the red haired male trying to flirt with her. Pfft, if he wanted to flirt he needed to at least flirt properly. The male made a movement toward their direction, ready to save the day, but stopped when he realised Nayoung was handling the situation well. She didn't need his help. But that still didn't mean he wasn't getting more and more irritated. 

"I'm warning you, if you don't back off you'll get hurt." 

"Hmm, fiesty. I like you." He winked terribly at Nayoung, and the girl almost felt like she would throw up. Did they not understand that she wasn't interested. Sure they were pretty good looking, she'd never go any other guy except Lu Han. 

Lu Han forced himself to stay calm, to stop himself from marching over and ripping the guys stupid head off. The male had to remind himself again and again that Nayoung could handle it herself. He told himself to look away and just go home. But he couldn't help himself from staring at the group across the road. His patience was wearing thin, the anger was simmering in his throat, ready to burst. Couldn't that bastard get his filthy hands of of her? Did he not get the message? Nayoung wasn't bloody interested. 

When the guy pulled her closer and whispered seductively into her ear, Lu Han completely lost it. Even though he knew Nayoung could easily handle it herself, the sight pissed him off so much he couldn't stand it. He barged over angrily raising his voice at the group of males, "Yah! Get your hands off of her. She's not interested." 

Lu Han stepped between Nayoung and the red haired teenager, making sure that there was at least a 2 metre gap between the two. 
"Hey, what's your problem?" The teenager crossed his arms and eyed Lu Han cockily, eyes full of contemptuous mischief, "Can't a guy flirt with a pretty lady?" 

Lu Han gave him the coldest look he had ever given anyone in his life, his harsh eyes scanned the faces of the four guys. They didn't even have a chance with Nayoung. Pfft, she was way out of their league. 

"You're my problem. Can't you see she's not interested?" And you called that flirting? It was so bad it hurt my eyes to watch. Lu Han had to remind himself to remain calm and mature, and to not say that out loud. 

The red haired boy's anger flared, having felt a blow to his pride, "What I do isn't any of your business. Who the hell are you anyway?" 

Lu Han answered without a moments hesitation, "Her husband. Now scram." 

A flash of realisation dawned on the teenagers' faces before they quickly turned and scrambled away. 

Lu Han's mood was still terrible despite the fact that the boys had left. He turned to her with an irritated frown etched on his features. "Are you done here?"There was a slight edge to his tone that even he was surprised by. Nayoung nodded with a grin. "Let's go home." He grabbed her hand and pulled her down the street. 

The two walked in silence for a while, Lu Han's mood completely foul, but Nayoung was grinning from ear to ear. The girl's eyes travelled to their entwined hands, and she couldn't help the giddy butterflies from erupting in her stomach. She didn't know what was better: him holding her hand, or say he was her husband. She glance up at the angry male with a grin. He probably didn't even notice that their fingers were interlocked, actually, he probably didn't care at all about the insignificant act of skin ship. But Nayoung still couldn't ignore the girlish giggle that was trying to make it's way out. She knew that it meant nothing, and that it wasn't good to take advantage of the situation and interpret in the incorrect way. But she did anyway. Was it wrong for her to be so happy?

"Why are you so happy?" He looked at her, genuinely curious, a hint of agitation in his honey coloured eyes. Nayoung couldn't help but smirking knowingly at him, realising that Lu Han had no idea why she was so ecstatic. He looked at her inquiringly again, raising an eyebrow when she just smiled at him cheekily. 

"You said you were my husband," she grinned at the confused male, "it's the first time you've admitted that." 

The realisation of what he did dawned on him slowly. And Nayoung laughed to herself seeing the male's anger leave, instead being replaced by a blank look. The girl then lifted up their entangled hands, a smug grin on her overconfident and slightly cocky face. 

"Oppa. You're jealous." Lu Han turned to her in surprise at her bold statement. She hadn't worded it in a question and there wasn't even a hint of doubt. The girl had said it so confidently it left him baffled. He opened his mouth object, but realised he couldn't really deny it. Back then, when he had walked over to help Nayoung, the thoughts on his mind weren't about to protecting her, as he already knew she was more than capable of doing that herself, he just didn't want the guy to be so close to her. It was more about helping himself that her. 

The realisation that he was jealous made his heart flutter. Lu Han's usually pale face turned a light shade of pink, and he turned his head away slightly to hide the tinge to his cheeks, "Tch, so overconfident." He rolled his eyes, as if irritated by her bluntness and then quickened his pace. 

But despite the act, he didn't let go of her hand. 


__________

 

"Oppaaa help me with question 7." She called loudly, breaking the males concentration. Lu Han sighed, swiveling on his chair so he was facing her. 

"You do know that I don't have the same textbook as you," he paused as she showed him her maths text book in response, "And even if you lift up your book a jab your finger on the page it's too far away that I can't see it... Right?" 

Nayoung blew a raspberry, dropping the heavy text with a soft thud on his bed. "Well come help me then." 

Lu Han made a face, "you expect me to come to you?" 

They stared at each other for a few minutes before Nayoung finally yielded. "Ugh. Fine." She pouted like a child, marching over with her books and stationary childishly. The girl glared at him, an an extremely unthreatening way, before slamming her books on his desk. The male, completely unaffected by her almost violent actions, wordlessly hunched over the book and studying the text. 

He turned to her after a while with a mocking, and slightly baffled look on his face, "Methods? You don't understand this? Yah, I thought you were smart. You even skipped a year in high school." 

Nayoung shot him a warning look, but he couldn't take it seriously because her face was flushed a bright red. He smirked at her while she fumbled for an excuse. 

"It's not my fault. I was good at maths until methods came along." 

He shook his head at her words, smiling secretly to himself. She was freaking adorable, but he'd never admit that out loud. He explained it to her nevertheless, his eyes softening unconsciously as she listened diligently, nodding a few too many times to show she understood. 

 


Five minutes later, the girl came back again with another question. 

And another. 

And another.  

Lu Han was pestered the whole night. He sighed when she called him the seventh time. She was still going on about the impossibility of methods. With a deep breath, the male grabbed her book and pulled it towards him to read. Nayoung had migrated to his desk so that she didn't have to run to him every five minutes. Of course, being the incredibly blunt and overbearing girl she was, the girl had just invited herself there, shoving him into an uncomfortable tiny corner of the table while she hogged all the space. 

But, surprisingly, he wasn't bothered by it. He wasn't even a tiny bit annoyed, irritated or angry. Which was strange, considering that he usually kicked her out after a very short amount of time. What happened to the annoying Queenka? What happened to the talkative, hateful girl that would barge into his room without consent? Didn't he find her presence irritating anymore? 

Lu Han already knew the answer himself. No, he didn't. He wasn't sure what had changed. Maybe it was because she was actually doing something productive, because he was completely sure that he wouldn't mind doing this all day. Just something about the way she'd furrow her brows in concentration, the way she focused solely on the one thing, something about the way was set in a determined line was so endearing that he couldn't look away. His heart skipped a beat without him noticing. 

A silence enveloped the two, which Lu Han quickly broke by asking a question. "Hey Nayoung, are you going anywhere tomorrow?" 

"Yeah, I'm going out." He noticed the way she straightened her back nervously, and a smile unknowingly tugged at his lips. 

Lu Han furrowed his eyebrows in faux confusion, "Man, you're going out again? You do that every week. Where do you even go anyway?" Of course, he already knew the answer, but he just liked teasing her. 

"U-uh.. I go.. Shopping..." She fiddled with her hands, not looking him in the eye. For a moment the male was left speechless. Was it even physically possible to be that bad at lying? It was so obvious that It was uncanny. He knew that she had a naturally candid personality, but he never imagined she'd be so terrible at lying. It hurt to watch her struggle, but at the same time it was so funny. She was kind of cute when she was flustered. Just kind of, he told himself. 

"But oppa, why are you asking?" She turned to him with a faint blush to her cheeks, flustered from his sudden question from before. 

He had to hide a smile, "Just curious." 

 

_______

 

Hey guys I'm fiinally back. sorry about the late update. i got sick, and then i had to deal with the virus on my laptop too. everythings fine now. I'm so sorry for having inconsistent updates :( please don't be too mad XD 

this chapter wasn't edtted by the way, apologies for bad quality chapter, I had to rush to post it on time >.<

i will try my best to get my weekly updating thing back on track. 

thanks for reading, commenting, subscribing etc. love you <3