Chapter 13

The Other Girl

"Yah, Lu Han. Pay attention, I think seonsaengnim is staring at you," Kris poked his shoulder with a pen, bringing the said male out of his daydream. The deer turned his attention to the front of the class, meeting his gaze with his English teacher's suspicious eyes. He straightened in his chair, grabbing a pen to quickly scribble down all the notes that were on the board he had missed, too scared to look at his teacher. He heard Kris snicker behind him. 

The period ended soon after. 
Lu han hadn't even noticed until Kris had to jab him in the head with a finger, "Lu Han. Can you hear me?" 

The older male shook his head a bit, seeming to finally snap out of his trance. "Sorry, what did you just say?" 

He got another jab in the head and a heavy sigh from Kris, "What's up with you today? You're so out of it." 

"I have no idea.." He trailed off with a frown, why was he so distracted today? He felt like he was forgetting something today, and that something had to do with Nayoung. Nayoung. Again. Why. 
It just seemed like every thought he had just linked back to the stubborn girl. What was wrong with him? He stood up and gathered the pile of books on his desk, ready to go to the next class. Maybe some biology would help him get his mind right, "What room are we in?" 

"I'm pretty sure we're in the science lab on the second floor. But Lu Han, are you sure nothing's wrong? You can tell us." 

Lu Han wasn't really sure if anything was wrong or not, his thoughts were just slightly jumbled at the moment, "I'm fine, just a bit.. confused." 

"Nayoung?" 

"Yeah." 

 The two chinese hyungs fell into a mutual silence, both understanding that they needn't exchange anymore words. They arrived at the science lab and found their spots. Lu Han took his usual place beside Suho. 

"Yo," Suho sent a curt nod at the two before returning his attention back to the game on his phone, fingers jabbing his phone screen at a hundred miles per hour. Lu Han propped his head up on one arm; his eyes travelled to the window, toward the other school building. Kyungmi was having history over there, and if he remembered correctly, so was Nayoung. 


___________


History . Nayoung couldn't find anything positive about anymore. Why was Kyungmi always in front of her? Couldn't she sit in the back of the room so no one would see her? God, she was such an eyesore. Always sitting in the front, acting all shy when the teachers complimented her when it was obvious Kyungmi loved and bathed in the attention. She was sick and tired of her teachers' words. 

'Maybe if you could be a little more like Kyungmi, I wouldn't have to scold you all the time.'

'Why don't you try to learn something from Kyungmi'

'Kyungmi is the perfect role model for trouble makers like you' 

Kyungmi was just oh so perfect and pretty and studious. She was such an angel that it was a sin to dislike her even the tiniest bit. But then again, it was absolutely impossible not to like her because she was just so nice. 

And of course, Nayoung was the worst human being in the planet because she hated Kyungmi in every way possible. They couldn't understand why someone was even able to dislike anything about Kyungmi. The girl scrunched up her face with the thought of Kyungmi's overwhelming angelic like personality, and how she wouldn't hurt a fly. 

Ew. No thanks. Was it possible for someone's personality to be suffocating? 

Nayoung's scowl deepened, history so much. She scribbled words into her notebook, ignoring her history teacher's lesson about feudal Japan. Gosh, this teacher just kept droning on and on about the same thing. The girl focused on a small scratch on her desk that suddenly seemed really interesting, her hand still doodling into her book. Without knowing it, she had written Lu Han's name. A tint of pink flushed her pale skin when she realised she had written his name multiple times.all over the page. What was she thinking? She was becoming one of those lovesick fangirls. Nayoung frantically rubbed out his name, but her face only grew hotter in embarrassment when she realised that it was written in pen. She shut her book, failing in an attempt to calm her frantically beating heart. Why couldn't she control her damn emotions? 

She averted her eyes to the corridor and stole a glance out the window, regretting her action as soon as she saw who was walking past in the corridor. Nayoung could instantly recognise the long, straight, ebony hair of the woman in the corridor, the similar scrutinising eyes she had grown to hate in the past sveenteen years of her life. It felt like someone had just thrown a bucket of ice water on her. 


Why was her mother here at the school? 


~~~~


"Nayoung-ah! Come over and sit." Her friend waved her arms excitedly, beckoning her over to their usual table. Which was convieniently placed right beside the EXO boys' table. 

"Why do we have to sit here all the time?" She snuck a quick glance at Lu Han, before looking away when Kyungmi rested her head on his shoulder. She ignored the small twist at her heart. 

"Because eye candy," her friend winked at her, "Even if Lu Han's taken, there's still eleven single men y'know." 

"I shouldn't have asked," Nayoung slapped a hand to her forehead. Her friend had an unhealthy fangirl infatuation with the 12 good looking guys, especially with the 2nd year by the name of Do Kyungsoo. She couldn't understand what was so good about them, besides Lu Han of course. They were just loud, slightly popular, and loud. Nayoung couldn't figure out why Lu Han surrounded himself with such people, there were better people out there—like her— that would be more deserving of his company. Deep down, Nayoung knew she only had such thoughts because she was biased by an immature jealousy. But she'd never admit that, she had a reputation to live up to. 

"Yah Nayoung, isn't that your dad? And your mum?" 
Her friend's words doused her thoughts with a sudden sensation of stiff coldness.

"What? Are you sure?" 

Please tell me you're joking.

Her question was answered when a large hand gripped her shoulder firmly, almost painfully. 

"Nayoung." A gruff, deep voice called her name, "I would like to speak to you." They way he said her name made her skin crawl. It sounded as if he was threatening her. The girl would have sneered and walked off, if not for the fact that pretty much the whole cafeteria was watching them. 

Her two friends shot up from their seats and bowed respectfully, "Mr Kang, Mrs. Kang! Nice to meet you." 

"Are you Nayoung's friends? What are your names?" Her mother was the one to reply. She smiled at the two girls pleasantly, masking her distaste perfectly. 

"Song Areum." 

"Lee Sora." 

"Well, It's a pleasure to meet you both, Areum-ssi, Sora-ssi." Her two friends beamed in delight, thinking they had made a good first impression. It was extremely important to make a good impression, Nayoung's parent's pretty much ran the whole school. A large majority of the school's money was from the Kang family, all excursions and events were funded by them too. They played a huge a role in how the school got to where it is now. You could say they owned the school, in a sense. 

Nayoung plastered a smile on her face. "Hi dad, I haven't seen you in such a long time. Have you been well?" 

Mr Kang put a hand on her shoulder, his fingers digging into the her arm, "Of course I've been well. Now let's go." Nayoung cringed, but she wasn't sure if it was from the painful grip on her arm or the sickly sweetness in his voice. The rhythmic clicking of heels told her that her mother was following behind. 

As soon as they were out of view from prying eyes, Mr Kang let go of her shoulder. The air seemed to drop ten degrees lower. He brushed off  his suite and hands, dusting off all the areas in which she had touched him. Nayoung felt a flame of anger spark inside of her. What was she? Some disease? But judging by the way they looked at her. They probably really thought she was some sort of disease. 

Her father turned to her, his eyes dark with fury, "Why am I getting reports of you misbehaving in classes? What's all this rubbish about disrespect to the teachers? What's wrong with you? I thought you were finally getting your act together when you skipped a year ahead in school, but it seems you're a disappointment." Her father heaved an angry sigh, "get your act together, this is not acceptable." Nayoung let out a breath she hadn't realised she was holding. A wave of relief washed over her at the end of her father's lecture. 

Her relief of short lived as her mother began started to yell at her too, "Who are your two friends? I've never heard of their names before." 

Nayoung shifted her feet, refusing to meet her mother's gaze, "Because they're not rich, they're not known in the high class." 

"Then why are you friends with them? We put you in this school so you could establish connections with other companies. You have one simple task, and still can't do it right. Except for your friendship with Taemin, you have only been a useless piece of trash in this family, bringing only disappointment after disappointment." 

Shut up. 

Nayoung bit her at her lip until she felt the disgusting metallic taste of blood. The petite girl clenched her fists as her mother continued, "We married you off to Lu Han to be rid of you, and yet you're still being a nuisance. Why are you not socialising with Lu Han's friends? Huang ZiTao was in his group of friends, do you know how long we've tried to create a partnership with them? Imagine the opportunities we'll be open to if our company were to expand to China. You selfish ungrateful child! All you think about is you're own little life. Nayoung, the world does not revolve around you. Do you not understand how insignificant you are? We gave you everything, without our money and the reputation we gave you, you'll be nothing." Her mother paused, and Nayoung was grateful for the short moment of silence. It gave her time to force back the anger that was coursing through her body. 

"I can't believe we wasted our time raising such a child. To think you didn't even inherit one good quality from your father and I. All the money we spent on you to buy you nice clothes, toys, electronics, everything you wanted. We wasted so many years to raise you, and this is what we get." 

Nayoung almost laughed at the irony. Sure, her parent's had bought nice things, but she never wanted any of it. She couldn't care less about the latest model phone, or the expensive clothes. For all seventeen years of her life, she never want all the fancy stuff, she just wanted to come home to a house that wasn't empty, to be able to run into someone's arms and cry, to have someone to pat her on the head and tell her they were proud of her. 

All she ever wanted was to not be alone. 

Her parents didn't raise her. They abandoned her. 

 "Our own daughter is the biggest disappointment in our life." 

The sentence struck a nerve, and Nayoung spoke before she could stop herself, "So now you acknowledge me as your daughter? After all those years refusing to even say my name, you call me your daughter now?" Her voice came out weaker, and slightly more high pitched that she had hoped. The girl regretted talking as soon as the words left . 
She backed away when her father advanced threateningly. The look in his eyes almost murderous. 
His voice was dangerously low, "You will not talk back to us. Do you understand?" The tone in his voice was frightening. 

________


Everyone knew that Nayoung and EXO did not get along, so you could imagine the shock horror everyone felt when Nayoung and her mother walked up to their table, and the girl sat down in the empty spot beside Chen. 

"Hello everyone, my my what a bunch of good looking young men," Nayoung's mother smiled kindly at the guys, "I hope there's space for one more." Nayoung made a move to stand up, but was pushed back onto the bench by her mother's firm grip. Lu Han wanted to say 'Why the hell are you making her sit with us?' But then he remembered that he and Nayoung were meant to be on 'good terms'. He automatically scooted a little bit further away from Kyungmi, making sure he was far enough away from her to make the impression that they were 'just friends'. 

"I hope you don't mind if Nayoung joins you for lunch." Everyone wanted to refuse. But Mrs Kang had such a kind and hopeful look on her face it was impossible to refuse. There was a round of reluctant nods around the table. 

"Mum. It's fine." 

"Now now dear, just enjoy your lunch with Lu Han and his friends." 

"Mum, we both have our own friends, I'd rather eat with my own friends." Lu Han noticed a tiny tremble in her strained voice. 

"Nonsense. Now you stay here, okay?" There was a slight edge in Mrs Kang's voice, it sounded more like a command than a question. But when he scanned his friends' expressions, it seemed that Lu Han was the only one that noticed it. Nayoung's mother walked off, the clicking of her high heels fading into the chatter of the cafeteria. Lu Han saw Mrs Kang move to the other side of the cafeteria and sit beside her husband, who was in deep conversation with the school principal. 

As soon as her mother began to join in on the conversation with the principal, Nayoung shot up from where she was sitting, ready to leave. Lu Han would have been glad to be rid of the girl if this situation occurred two weeks ago, but after that family dinner, he wasn't so sure anymore. Nayoung was probably going to get in some deep trouble if she disobeyed her parents another time. It was slight, but Lu Han picked up the sharp tone when her mother spoke. And considering the way she was gripping Nayoung's shoulders, the woman seems extremely pissed off. And of course, he didn't miss the worried glances Taemin sent in their direction either. He didn't want her parents to give any harsh punishments to the girl. The male was about to tell her to stay when Chen beat him to it. 

"Just stay for now okay?" Chen grabbed her arm to stop her from walking off. All the other members let out cries of protest, faces twisted in shock, and horror. Nayoung seemed equally surprised. She looked at Chen like he had just grown a second head. Chen gave her a friendly smile, "Just listen to your parents okay? Your mother seemed kind of mad, so don't make her angrier." The girl was still staring at Chen, seeming reluctant to comply. 

"I'm fi-" 

Lu Han grabbed Nayoung's tray of food, cutting the girl's words off, and placed it on the table, "Stop looking at us like we're aliens and just sit." He made sure that his hand was still on the tray until the girl sat down, only taking his hand away when he was sure she wasn't going to run off. 

 

________

hello my lovely readers 

This chapter wasn't editted so sorry if it doesn't seem as well written. 

 

I'm getting too lazy to write more in my A/N's xD hehehe. Hope you enjoyed the chapter xD