Chapter 29

The Other Girl

"Hey guys, it looks like it's going to rain today." Suho lifted his head toward the heavy grey sky looming above them, watching as the clouds drifted across along with the brewing wind.

 

"But we'll be inside right?" There was a chorus of nods.

 

"Then let's go out to celebrate the end of midterm exams." Kai pumped a fist excitedly, causing D.O to roll his eyes.

 

"The only reason you want to go is because there was a pretty waitress working there. Give up, you have no chance anyway."

 

Kai looked at his large eyed hyung with a crestfallen expression, the expression on his face one that showed that his heart had just been broken, “Hyung! Can't you let a poor guy dream?”

 

D.O laughed, “Pfft, no.”

 

The group all turned their heads in the same direction when they spotted the oldest three casually walking toward them. Lay waved them over, “Xiumin, Lu Han, Kris hyung! I know you’re old, but come on, walk a little faster.”

 

Lu Han heard this, and he and the other two hyungs slowed their pace considerably. Laughing to themselves when his dongsaengs groaned in misery.


 

~~~~


 

After a half hour bus ride and a few minutes of walking, the group of twelve finally arrived at their usual restaurant. As soon as they entered, Kai’s eyes searched the face of all the workers, his shoulders slumping in disappointment when he didn’t see the said pretty waitress.

 

Baekhyun patted him on the back, “Sorry man, maybe next time.” He spoke with a insincere mocking tone, “Come on, let’s find a table.”

 

They settle down on near the corner of the store, and Lu han’s eyes flitted around the restaurant, noticing the small changes since he had come here last time. The tables were new, now made of mahogany coloured wood instead of the old unstained oak. The lighting of the shop was slightly brighter, the new crystal chandeliers reflected light in such a way that it created a slightly homey feel, instead of the more romantic lighting since the last time he had come here. Which had been with Kyungmi.

 

He shook off his thoughts, tuning his attention back to the conversation with his friends.

 

“Maybe we should have invited Kyungmi,” Lay looked slightly guilty, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly.

 

“Hmmm, I don’t think she would have though. There’s a storm today right? She wouldn’t want to be outside if there was a chance of lightning.” Sehun said, resting his face in his palms as he spoke.

 

Lu Han suddenly felt a jolt of realisation at the maknae’s words. Kyungmi was afraid of lightning, and he had completely forgotten. A pinch of worry pulled at his chest, or was it guilt he felt? He quickly sent a text to his girlfriend, asking if she was okay. He sighed in relief when he received a reply a few minutes later.   

 

____________________

 

Kyungmi

 

I’m fine ^.^ Eomma and appa are home today. Don’t worry.

 

7:18 pm

__________________

 

Now that his mind was free of guilty thoughts, he hoped to enjoy the evening with his friends, but then his thoughts went to Nayoung. Again. He felt worry bloom in his chest. What if Nayoung hated lightning too? What if she was afraid too?

 

He knew it wasn’t likely. She wasn’t the type to be scared of such trivial matters, she was fearless, almost. But Lu Han also knew she was fragile on the inside. There was a bright flash of white through the window, and simultaneously, the rumble of thunder shook the restaurant. Lu Han turned his gaze toward the window, watching as the clouds lit up, streaks of white slicing through the clouds. He suddenly felt uneasy, and Nayoung crossed his thoughts again. The concern grew.

 

“Hey, what are you staring into space for?” Xiumin sent him a concerned frown, “Worried about Kyungmi?”

 

Not really.

 

“Yeah, I guess you could say that.”

 

“Xiumin sent him a supportive smile, “Don’t worry, she’s fine right?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

Chanyeol’s boisterous voice broke through the solemn mood, “Yeayyy! No more exams till the end of the year.”

 

There was a chorus of loud cheers, and few other customers in the restaurant gave them strange looks.

 

“Chanyeol shut up, people are staring.” Suho looked around apologetically to the other customers, clamping a hand over the giant’s massive mouth to keep him silent.  

 

“Hyung,” Chanyeol pried his hand off, “They’re staring because I’m good looking. This face is just irresistible.” The male smirked cockily at the mom-like hyung.


 

~~~~


 

“The storm’s getting pretty bad.” Tao gazed nonchalantly out the window, “How do we get back?”

 

“Wait for the crazy wind and rain to die down a bit, we can go then, so we won’t be drenched when we try to go home.”

 

Lu Han’s brow furrowed in worry, his eyes wearily staring out the water stained window. The flashing of lightning, the growl of thunder, everything was so unsettling. The worry grew in his chest, his thoughts going back to Nayoung. Was she okay? The male took the phone from his pocket, deciding to send her a message to see if she was okay. And then he saw a notification.  

 

Nayoung had called him. Three times.

 

The concern grew, and he anxiously stared out the window, “Hey guys, I think I’m going to go home.”  

 

“In this weather?” Chen raised an eyebrow at the deer apprehensively.

 

“Yeah.. It’s kind of important.”

 

“Okay. Just get home safely.”

 

Lu han had take off into a run as soon as his feet left the restaurant. He wasn’t sure why, but the unease he was feeling wouldn’t subside. What if she really was afraid? She was alone, and the fact that he could hurt her again scared him even more. He couldn’t do it again. The thought of not being there when she needed him,of even being partially responsible for her pain; he just couldn’t stand it.  


 

~~~~


 

The male arrived at the doorstep completely drenched in rain. He was soaked from head to toe. His eyes flew to the window of the house, noticing the lights were turned off. The living room light were never turned off at this time.

 

Not good.  

 

He knocked on the door. No reply.

 

He rang the doorbell, but no one came to greet him.

 

A loud bang made him flinch as lightning struck the ground somewhere in the distance. And it was immediately followed by thunder. Lu Han quickly grabbed his house keys and shoved the door open in a frenzy.

 

“Nayoung-ah!”

 

He almost ran to the living room, “Hey Nayoung.” He stopped when he spotted the girl curled up on the couch. A wave of worry washed through him. The girl was wrapped in a blanket, her head turned toward the window.

 

“Nayoung?”

 

“Hm? Oppa? You’re back already?” She turned to him and gave him a bright smile, one that almost looked like she was shooting rainbows out of her head. He was frozen in shock for a moment, unsure what had just happened. She wasn’t scared? He had expected her to be huddled up in a corner somewhere, afraid. But all he got was her usual sunshine like smile.

 

Lu han involuntarily made a face a shocked face, his jaw almost falling off at the unexpected situation, “What? you’re not scared?”

 

Nayoung laughed, “Why would I be scared? It’s lightning.”

 

“Why are you huddled up on the couch with a blanket on you then? And why are the lights out? And why are you staring out the window.” The questions were flying out of his mouth without break, and he had to force himself to stop so he cold breathe.

 

“The power went out, so the heater wasn’t working and it got cold. That’s why I’m wrapped up in blankets, if that’s what you’re wondering. And I wanted to watch the lightning because it looks cool.”

 

Now that the adrenaline was out of his body, Lu han had begun to shiver, “Yeah, the house is kind of cold now that you mention it.” It didn't help that water was still dripping from his hair, and that his ice cold shirt was stuck to him, heavy with water.

 

Nayoung examined the male from head to toe, her eyes travelling up and down from his head to his toes. “You’re soaked,” there was a pause, and the a teasing smirk grew on her lips, “Don’t tell me. You ran all the way here in the rain because you thought I was scared of lightning?”

 

His face grew hot under her gaze, “Uhmm.. yeah. Basically.”

 

The girl raised an eyebrow, “And what could you have done?” biting her lip to hold back a giggle.

 

“Well.. I don’t know.. I could protect you?” he rubbed that back of his neck sheepishly, realising how lame he sounded just then.

 

Nayoung’s face contorted into a scowl, “Ewww thats so cheesy.”

 

He had no time to recover his pride before she cut him off again, “It’s like one of those lines from a sappy romantic drama.”  

 

“Yah. I was only-” he stopped when she reached up and poked him on the forehead.

 

And then she laughed. It was a real laugh this time, one that told him she was actually happy. He wasn’t sure if he should be happy or embarrassed by the fact that she was laughing so hard that she was clutching her stomach and rolling on the floor in her cocoon of blankets.

 

“Aigoo, look, you’re soaking wet. You’ll catch a cold if you don’t get cleaned up.” She grabbed a towel that was lying on the couch and draped it over his head. She stepped onto her tippy toes and started to dry his hair gently, closing the distance between them slightly so she could reach with her short height.

 

Lu han felt his heart hammering in his chest, the sound of his own erratic heartbeat taking over his senses. He bent his knees slightly, so that she didn’t have to reach so high up, getting a small ‘thanks’ in return. The male watched her out of the curtain of his fringe, noticing the small details he had never seen before. Her eyes were a deep, dark chocolate, almost so dark it blended in with her pupils. Her porcelain like skin was dusted a bashful pink, and Lu han thanked the blackout for making it too dark to see the red on his own cheeks. She was almost like a doll. So fragile, but so beautiful, like she would break at the slightest touch.

 

They met eyes for a brief moment, and his heart felt like it would jump right out of his chest. He felt the electricity run through him, the fireworks, the warm spread to every single cell in his body. It took every single ounce of self control he had to stop himself from just kissing her right then and there. He had to force himself to take a step back.

 

The male cleared his throat awkwardly, “I’ll g-go take a shower.”

 

“Okay. Oppa, I swear if you get sick because of this I’m never going to let you hear the end of it.” She curled back into her cocoon of blankets and huddle back onto the couch again.

 

Lu Han hurried up the stairs, hoping that if he couldn’t see her, he wouldn’t feel so nervous. As soon as he was in his room, he collapsed onto the bed, not caring that they were just washed. He slapped a hand onto his face, groaning tiredly. Just lying there to mull over his thoughts.



 

Nayoung-ah, what are you doing to me?

 

 

____________

 

I'm back guys! 
There's not really much I can say so I'll just get to it. Thanks you wonderful subbies for commenting and upvotes. ad just reading this story in general. 
 

I sarang you all (much korean fail)