Chapter 22

The Other Girl


Brrriinnggg brriinnngg. 

Lu Han looked up from his laptop, hearing his phone ring. The male checked the called ID, making sure that it wasn't Nayoung, before picking up on the fifth ring. 

"Yeoboseyo?" 

"Ahh! Lu Han, how's my son doing these days," Lu Han could hear his father chuckle on the phone. 

"I'm doing fine, how are you and mom?" 

"We're doing great. It's a shame you moved out though, the house is too quiet now." There was a pause as Lu Han's father collected his thoughts, "Oh right! I called to tell you some good news." 

"Good news?" The male shot up from him slouched position on on the chair, not sure why his father would be telling him something like this, things about the company always stayed between his parents. 

"Well after a bit of discussion, the Kang's are considering the possibility of you and Nayoung getting a divorce. It's just a maybe though. Great news yeah?" 

"Yeahh..."

"I should go now. You sound a bit tired, go rest up." The call disconnected as soon as his father said goodbye. 

The male stared blankly at his phone for a while, not quite sure why he wasn't even the slightest bit happy. He didn't feel good, or even relieved for the matter. He didn't feel anything at all, nothing. He wasn't disappointed or anything, but he wasn't as glad as he thought he'd be. She'd be gone, he'd be free, he'd have more time with Kyungmi. No more annoying calls everyday, no more fights, no more drama. It seemed like such a good deal right? So why wasn't he jumping for joy? 

Lu Han sighed and ran a hand through his hair, turning his head up toward the ceiling and stretching his back. It was no use worrying about it now, he just needed some time for it to sink in. He heard his phone chime, the sound indicating that he had gotten a text. The male sloppily waved his arm around the table to try to feel for his phone.

 

________

Kim Minseok
Ayeee, Lu Hannie. Do you want to go watch a movie with us today?
-12:31 pm
________ 

The male stared at his phone, contemplating about whether or not he should go. He had no homework, and he hadn’t gone out in a while, it seemed pretty appealing. But it was raining; Lu Han could hear the loud pitter patter of raindrops hitting the roof from his room. From the sounds of it, it was raining pretty heavily too. Lu Han stared at Xiumin’s message again. He really couldn’t be bothered, the thought of having to go out in such a heavy downpour was so off putting. Actually, even the thought of getting off his chair was enough to make him cringe. He was just too lazy. Plus, Nayoung had finally stopped being angry at him, he didn't want to risk her suspicion again. 

 
__________

Lu Han
I think I’ll pass this time. Can’t be bothered
 -12:33 pm
__________


Lu Han felt his stomach growl, maybe it was time for him to go find some lunch. As he made his way to the kitchen, he spotted Nayoung standing in front of the table, an array of food spread out in front of her. Lu Han immediately increased his pace, racing to the kitchen with panic. What was she doing with all that food? The memory of Nayoung's 'breakfast' was still fresh in his mind, causing a shiver to run up his spine. No. That would never happen again. 

"NAYOUUNGGG! PUT THAT CARTON OF EGGS DOWN RIGHT NOW!" The male slammed his hands down on to the kitchen bench, slightly short on breath as he just almost had a heart attack. The girl's head shot up in shock and she almost dropped the egg carton in her hands. 

"L-Lu Han oppa. W-why are you yelling," she stammered, slightly flustered by his outburst, "I was just going to attempt a c-cake." She made a face at him when he grabbed her shoulders, staring intently at her, almost angrily. 

"Why didn't you tell me to come down?" 

"Well, you never listen to me anyway..."

"Didn't I tell you to never enter the kitchen?" 

Nayoung stubbornly crossed her arms with an angry pout, "Yah! I'm not that bad. Promise it won't turn out poisonous like last time." 

"No." He instantly rejected her, "Move over, I'll make it for you okay?" 

The girl whined, "But I wanted to try myself." 

"You can't..." he paused when he saw her sullen expression. She seemed like a child that had just gotten their candy stolen. Lu Han's heart skipped a beat, he wasn't sure if she was purposely attacking him with aegyo or not. And then he just couldn't bring himself to reject her. 

"Yah, stop looking so sad. Let's make the cake together. Arrasseo?"  

Her face lit up like a diamond, "Okay!" 


~~~~


"Okay, so whisk four eggs," Lu Han gave her a stern gaze, "you can do that without destroying everything right?" 

Nayoung punched his arm, "Yah, I'm not hopeless. Geez, have some faith in me." 

He broke out into a smile, getting on to measuring the other ingredients. He needed some self raising flour, butter, sugar, vanilla essence and milk. Lu Han had just gotten the ingredients out when he heard Nayoung utter a small 'uh oh' under her breath. 

"Oppa.." Her voice trailed off uncertainly.

"What?" 

"How many eggs do we need?" 

"Four, why?" 

"Slight problem." 

Lu Han sighed heavily, running a hand through his hair. The girl had somehow managed to drop the eggs on the floor. 

He glared at her accusingly, "you just destroyed the eggs." 

"It's not my fault I swear, they rolled off the bench by themselves." She raised her hands up in defense, acting innocent. 

The male poked her forehead with his finger, "Sometimes I wonder if you need psychological help. How many eggs did you manage to get into the actual bowl?" 

"Uhmm.. Two? Or three? I'm not too sure." 

The male raised an eyebrow at her, "You didn't count?" 

"I forgot." 

"Okay, never mind. Why don't you sift the flour or something." 


~~~~ 


"Lu Han oppa..." 

"What is it this time?" 

"I don't think the mixtures supposed to look like this. Why are there chunks and blobs in it?" 


~~~~

"Lu Han oppa..." 

"Please don't tell me you mixed up the salt and the sugar." 

"Do you want me to answer that? I just tried some and it feels like I just drank the sea." 


~~~~


"Yah Nayoung it says two tea spoons not two table spoons!" 

"Isn't it the same thing?" 

"No. It's not." 


~~~~


Lu Han wiped the sweat off his forehead, blowing a relieved breath. They had finally finished, and he hadn't died. That was probably the most tiring and stressful moment of his life. But after a whole lot of improvisations and substitutions, they had finally achieved a decent looking cake mixture. He turned to an equally distressed Nayoung with a tired grin, "Well, all we have to do now is put it in the oven. You can do at least that right?" 

She nodded, her face sullen with despair. "I kind of get what you mean now, about the whole 'don't enter the kitchen you'll food poison me' thing." 

Lu Han felt a small tug at his heart when he noticed how hopeless and disappointed she was, "I was joking, we haven't died yet have we? Just make sure I'm with you when you cook." He laughed at how childish this conversation was, it was like coaxing a child. 

Nayoung grabbed the cake tin carefully with her left hand, walking over to place it into the oven. They girl opened the oven door, immediately being attack with a rush of hot air. She slid the tin onto the rack, turning over to look at Lu Han to reply to him, "I don't think I'm ready to go through that experience agai-" 

 The girl jerked her hand back in surprise when her hand accidentally brushed against the inside of the oven. She made a quiet hissing sound as she pulled back, a painful stinging sensation pulsing from her hand. 

"Yah! Be careful!" Lu Han immediately rushed over, his heart skipping a beat when he realised she had burned herself. He lifted hand her hand gently, his frown deepening as he inspected the burn.
"Aish, you clumsy idiot," Lu Han gently guided her to the sink grumbling under his breath as he did so, "You can't even put a cake tin into the oven without burning yourself, you're so clumsy. What am I going to do with you." 

He blew on the wound softly, tickling her skin, his touch careful and gentle. Nayoung felt her heartbeat quicken at the close proximity between them, and her hand was tingling, but the girl wasn't sure if it was because of Lu Han's touch or because of the burn. She felt her face grow hot with embarrassment. She just stared at him shyly, nodding silently at his words when he spoke. 

"Keep your hand under the tap, I'll go find the first aid kit."

"It's not that bad of a burn. It'll be fine if I put some ice on it." 

"You can't be so careless, even if it's just a minor burn." he let go of her hand, leaving to find some medicine. Nayoung left the tingling sensation leave her as he let go of her hand, and she let out a breath she hadn't noticed she was holding. 

The girl felt a small smile tug at her lips, the butterflies in her stomach going wild. The pain had ebbed away to a dull throb, so it wasn't that bad. She bit her lip to contain her giddy smile, was it weird if she was kind of glad she had gotten burnt?


~~~~


Nayoung heard the faint 'ding' of the oven, indicating that the cake had finished cooking. The girl shot up from her seat on the couch, only to be pushed back down by Lu Han. 

"I'll get it, we can't have you burning your other hand too." He smirked at her before rushing to the kitchen. Nayoung stuck her tongue out childishly at him, crossing her arms to feign anger. 

"Tch."   

Lu Han came back after roughly icing the cake and adding a few strawberries. Nayoung went to the kitchen to grab a few utensils and plates. The two sat down together on the couch to eat. 

"It's not bad actually," the male commented with an approving nod. It was a bit on the sweet side, and the cake was a bit dense, but overall, it was pretty good considering what had happened in the kitchen. 

Nayoung stuck a finger into the icing, scooping up a huge amount and popping it into . "The icing is so good." 

Lu Han rolled his eyes, "That's because it was already made, we used the one in the packet," he took another bite of his slice of cake, "how's school? There's been a lot of drama recently." 

Nayoung's bright expression turned sour, "School ." 

He laughed at her curt reply, "What's wrong?" 

"Everything. Everyone." 

Lu Han fed her a strawberry, his expression turning thoughtful. "Did something happen?" 

"I don't know, everyone just pisses me off. They look at me like I'm going to kill them or something," she ran a hand through her hair frustratedly, "The other day, I was just going to give a pencil case I found back to Jinri, you know, the girl that's the captain of the net ball team? And she and her friends looked at me like I was some psycho coming to chop her head off." Nayoung made a face as she glumly shoved another mouthful if cake into her face. "It made me so angry," the girl stabbed her fork into a strawberry violently. 

Lu Han soared a cautious glance at Nayoung, her eyes were blazing with anger, but underneath, he noticed the subtle hint of sadness in her eyes. She was actually hurt. "Did you give it back to her?" He asked, referring to the pencil case. 

"No, I tipped everyone out of it and threw it on the floor, "she scoffed, "if they're going to look at me like I'm a bully might as well go with it." 

Lu Han sighed, slapping a hand to his forehead. It seemed like she was going in a good direction, and then she just completely ruined it and went back the other way. You know the reason why they look at you like that is because you do those things," he frowned disapprovingly, "People wouldn't look at you that way if you were nicer to them, instead of pushing someone down, help them back up. You could've just given it back to her." 

The male was expecting her to complain, to shout in protest, to act like a drama queen and say things like 'oh my gawd, stop pretending like you understand me. Don't judge me until you've walked in my footsteps' but what he got was the complete opposite. 

"I know.. But I couldn't help it. I was just so angry," the girl paused for a moment, a pregnant silence enveloping the two, "I don't even know why I always get so mad, everyone else can control their emotions, but I just can't." 

Nayoung fell quiet. 
 
Lu Han turned to the girl worriedly, seeing a scary dullness in her usually bright eyes. He didn't like this, seeing her so unhappy, it gave him a foreign feeling in his chest, and it was uncomfortable. But he didn't know why. 

His eyes softened at the girl. His hand came up without his consent, and the male ruffled her hair gently. "Cheer up a bit, you're ruining the mood." 

He smiled when she scrunched up her face, "Shut up Lu Han." 

It felt like he was slowly getting to understand her, uncovering small little secrets that everyone else overlooked. Nayoung's eyes were cold, seemingly emotionless, but there were other things mixed in with her anger and frustration, with her hateful and cruel eyes. If you looked closely, you'd notice that there was always a hint loneliness in her sharp eyes that never seemed to disappear, that there was always sadness underneath the hatred. It was just that no one ever looked hard enough to see it. 

Nayoung wasn't just what everyone had labelled her as. She wasn't the overconfident, spiteful queenka. She wasn't the mean girl that thought she ruled over the school. 

She was just like everyone else, someone fragile and sensitive, someone that also got their feelings hurt time and time again. 

 

 

 

__________

Hello everyone! I'm back early this time. XD 

Bad news guys... my laptop got a virus :(

Everything is so asdfghjkl right now TT.TT I'm trying my best to get rid of it without formatting everything because I have stuff I don't want to lose. 

 

Viruses aside, I hope you're enjoying the story. This is the part in the story where the drama and fluff and everything else starts. ehehehe 

 

Thankyou for subscribing, reding, commenting, upvoting. LOVE YOU ALL