Chapter 20

The Other Girl


 Lu Han had regretted his words the moment Nayoung had slammed the door that night. He wasn't sure what went through the girls mind, but he knew she was really upset this time. She hadn't talked to him in days, which only made him feel worse for snapping at her. 

The male didn't know why he asked that question every time. He knew it was something she didn't want to talk about, he knew because as soon as he brought the topic up she'd look away and leave. And that was something she only did when she really hated something, or she was really upset or pissed off. 

He bit his lip, realising with dismay that today was the start of his volunteer week. The male let out a sigh, now he had to deal with kids too. He was already have a headache as it is. 


__________


The day care centre was surprisingly small, providing much contrast to Lu Han's expectations. The building was about the size of a small house with large rectangular windows, allowing plenty of light through. The walls were a dirty shade of beige, which Lu Han suspected to be white underneath, but had turned the murky colour with years of poor maintenance and bad weather. The place didn't strike him as surprisingly stunning, quite unsightly actually. 

He heard someone speak to his right, and the male turned his head slightly to catch the person wrinkle their nose in his peripheral vision. 

"Man what a run down place. They expect us to work here?" 

He felt slightly irked by the student's comment. Their highschool was a private school, and the public generally followed the stereotype that rich private schools were full of snobs. Although most of the time it wasn't true, there were some students who seemed to follow that mindset. He turned to his right to see a nervous Kyungmi. He smiled at her and patted her head. 

She peered up at him with worried eyes, "I'm not very good with taking care of kids.." 

He chuckled, beginning to walk to the front gate, "Don't worry we can fail together." 

As soon as he rang the door bell, he could hear the children screaming inside. A chuckle escaped his lips, a little bit of his nervousness disappearing as he heard their excitement. The door swung open with a loud bang, narrowly missing Lu Han's nose. He took a startled step back with wide eyes when he saw the children wrestle each other out of the door. 

"NOONA!" They young kids called out excitedly, jumping out of the door like hyperactive squirrels. The children looked up at them with their large eyes, and Lu Han heard a few girls behind him squeal at their overwhelming cuteness.

"Noona?" One of the boys called out, frowning cutely when he looked up to see only unfamiliar faces.  

A soft voice came from inside, and Lu Han looked up to see a middle aged woman coming toward the children. She bend over beside the little boy and patted his head, "Sorry, Minwoo-ah. Noona's not coming today." 

"Awww. But noona said she was coming." 

"Something came up, don't be sad okay? Look, all these noonas and hyungs came instead." The woman gestured in the direction Lu Han was standing in with a smile. She looked up at all the other children and ushered them in, "Come one kids, back inside for now." 

They all filed in obediently, faces glum and disappointed. The woman looked up at Lu Han and the students that were slowly gathering around, "Sorry about that, the children were expecting someone that didn't come today. Don't worry, they'll get over it quickly." She smiled at them welcomingly, the corners of her eyes wrinkling up as she did. "My my, what a wonderful bunch of high school students. I'm Han Subin, a pleasure to meet you all. Please come in." 

The girls in his group nodded enthusiastically, eager to play with the adorable children. They made their way inside, sitting around in an empty room to introduced themselves. 

"Well, first I just need to run through a few guidelines. Well, lunch is at 1:30, some children don't have there own lunch, so please take them to me and I'll fix up some food for them. Make sure they learn to clean up after themselves after they use something. The children need to be supervised when they use the playground equipment," the day care lady counted on her fingers, listing the things she had to remind everyone. 

"Well I think that's it," Mrs Han smiled at them all again, "any questions or anything you're unsure about?" 

Sungyeol, the second year that was in the same homeroom class as Chanyeol, raised his hand timidly. 

Mrs Han, chuckled, politely covering with a hand. "Sungyeol right? You don't have to put your hand up, just talk to me casually." 

"Oh.." He bit his lip to hide his embarrassment, "uhm, well I noticed there were a lot of bedrooms here. So I was wondering if you lived here as well." Sungyeol looked away, suddenly realising that his question was kind of personal, "you don't have to answer it if you don't want to." 

"No no, it's quite alright," Mrs Han sighed with a smile,"Well you see, some of the children here have extremely busy parents, who aren't always home or don't have the time to take care of their children. We have bedrooms so that they have somewhere to sleep." 

Lu Han took a side glance out the door, catching a glimpse at the children running around. It was hard imagining those hyperactive kids out there would have that sort of experience. 

"Alright, so I'll leave you all now. I hope the kids aren't too much trouble." Mrs Han excused herself, leaving to make food in the kitchen. 


~~~~


"Oppa? Lu Han oppa?" Kyungmi waved a hand in front of her boyfriend's face. 

"What? Oh sorry. I kind of zoned out there." He turned to her with a smile. 

Kyungmi bit her lip, blowing out her cheeks. "Are you sure you're okay? You seemed really distracted today."

He was distracted. This place just kept reminding him of Nayoung. Mrs Hans words were still fresh in his mind. And he found himself wondering if she went through the same thing. Growing up with parents that were never home, parents that didn't care. The more he thought about it the more guilty it made him feel. Was she still mad at him? He didn't really get what was going through the girl's head, but Lu Han knew he had been treading on thin ice. Maybe it had been a sensitive topic, like talking about her family. He should probably apologise to her. The male sighed, realising he was thinking about her again. 

"It's nothing. Sorry for worrying you." He walked over to a group of little girls playing in the sand pit, crouching down beside them to see what they were doing. The two five year olds were attempting to build a sandcastle for their princesses—the two barbie dolls half buried in the sand— to live in. 

He smiled to himself when one of the girls blew a frustrated raspberry, letting out a whine as he 'sandcastle' fell apart. 

"Do you need help?" He turned to her with a smile, slowly taking the bucket she had used and filling it up with sand again.

"Hi, I'm Lu Han," He introduced himself, bringing out a hand to say hello, "What are your names?" 

The two girls blushed, seeing the handsome teenager with honey brown hair. The first girl, with short curly hair tied in pig tails, waved at him shyly, "I'm Im Sora." 

"My name's Kim Soojin." 

Well, Sora, Soojin, let me help you with your castle." He started to pile sand into the bucket, encouraging the girls to do so as well, "Okay, so once you're done, make sure to pat the sand down like this." He pressed the sand into the bucket, laughing to himself as the two girls nodded vigorously, completely absorbed in his 'lesson'. "Okay, now tip the bucket over, and tap it a little bit, and then lift the bucket off." Lu Han flipped the bucket over and drummed on the plastic of the bucket.

"Do you want to do it?" He gestured to the girls.

Sora nodded nervously, blushing a darker shade of red when Lu Han gave her his heart melting eye smile. 

"Wahhhh it worked!" They exclaimed in excitement, proud that they had successful created their first sand castle. 

Lu Han high fived the two and stood up, brushing the excess sand off his trousers, "Well, I'm going to go help Mrs Han in the kitchen. You girls come find me when you finish your sandcastle okay? I want to see it." 

"Okay! Thankyou for helping us Mr. You're very handsome!" Soojin called adorably. 
Lu Han patted the two five year olds on the head, "You think I'm handsome?" 

They nodded bashfully. The male beamed at them, unable to control his smile. Volunteering here was awesome, the kids weren't even that hard to deal with. It was so heart warming to see them run around so happily, and it was nice to join them and watch them laugh. Lu Han blew a content breath, he had to take Nayoung here one day. She'd love it. 


~~~~


Lu Han let out a tired sigh, falling onto the couch beside an equally exhausted Kyungmi. He had absolutely no energy left, none, zero. The male wasn't even sure if he could stand back up. Just a few hours ago he was absolutely ecstatic about the day, but now he was so drained it hurt to move. They had spent the whole day running around, playing games, reading books, cleaning up, just everything. So now he had taken up the job of just sitting and supervising indoors. He watched the girls and boys run around playing power rangers and shooting each other with fake guns, slightly put off by their overwhelming energy. Did these kids not get tired? They'd been running around the whole day, for hours non stop. 

Kyungmi stood up beside him, noticing a rubix cube laying on the table. It was mostly solved, having a only a few mismatched here and there. 
 
She reached out to grab it, turning around to talk to Lu Han, "Oppa, can you solve th-" 

"You can't touch that!" Kyungmi's words were cut short when someone push her. The girl lost her balance before she could grab the rubix cube, tripping over a soft toy. 

"Kyungmi?" Lu Han turned in her direction, standing up from his seat in alarm. He rushed over to help the girl up, frowning when he noticed her eyes well up with tears. The male turned to the person who had pushed her, realising with dismay that it was Minwoo. 

"Minwoo! That was uncalled for," He scolded the six year old boy, "apologise for pushing her." He gestured to Kyungmi, who was dusting herself off after the fall. 

The boy crossed his arms stubbornly, "No. I don't want to." 

"Minwoo, apologise," Lu Han attempted to be as authoritative as possible. 

"But she was going to touch noona's stuff!" 

"But you didn't have to push her, now did you? Kyungmi noona just wanted to see it, she wasn't going to break it." 

"But it's very important to Noona so no one can touch it!" Minwoo stubbornly wailed, he stuck up his nose in the air, full of bratty contempt. Lu Han sighed a little at his stubbornness. This felt like dealing with Nayoung all over again. He looked over at the slightly familiar rubix cube, and back at Minwoo. 

"Come on, hyung doesn't want to argue with you okay?" He bent over and firmly placed his hands on the younger boy's shoulders, "It's not-" 

"My my, what happened here." 

Lu Han's heart jumped when he noticed Mrs Han enter the room. The middle aged woman's eyes flew across the room, quickly picking up what had happened. 

"Minwoo. Apologise." She placed her hands on her hips and narrowed her eyes at the child. 

"But she was going to touch noona's stuff!" Minwoo pointed an accusing finger in the direction Kyungmi was in. 

"But you didn't need to push her now did you? Look, you hurt Kyungmi noona," Mrs Han pointed to Kyungmi's elbow, which was now red and chafe from the fall. 

Minwoo pouted, knowing that he had to apologise, "Sorry Kyungmi noona.." He looked away, obviously unhappy that he was the one that he had been wrong. 

Kyungmi smiled, "It's okay, I'm sorry too." 

Mrs Han pulled Minwoo out of the room, "Come on, let's go," he turned back to the couple when the six year old had left, "sorry about that, he's just in a bad mood because his favourite noona didn't come today." She left the couple, taking Minwoo outside. 

Lu Han turned to the rubix cube again, suspicion laced with his thoughts. 

"Noona... huh?" 

 

____________

Heyy guys, New chapter. 

I changed my name on asianfanfics XD just to explain in case you're confused or something. My old username was too long, so I decided to change it. I was going to think of some epic name that was just pure awesome, but while I was playing around I accidentally clicked the wrong button and I changed my name by accident. Now I'm stuck with Hyourinmaru o.O oh well~ It's still pretty cool (HITSUGAYA TOSHIRO FTW) <--- anime reference please ignore

 

Since it's the 20th chapter and I haven't done this in a while I would like to thank: 

Kaiholic 98, StarTravelMallow, exosaranghae0, leehyesoo, zikyukai59, YunShizuka, QueenRedlight, tonnettie, hyunseung09, Murmur007, xyper_crash21, missripley, limeelf, xiaozharbor, shiki3600, Giggles02, Zahraliebi, 1MFABULOUS, NekoKira, boris92, Hanis_Exotics, heartmydeer, karaaul_L, inspiritxoxob2uty, kriti2 and ravenous_red for the upvotes. I don't exactly know what upvotes are for, but I appreciate it nonetheless. hehehe.

 

Love you all~