Ch. 4

My Son is An Idol

The ICEE boys all gathered around for their very first interview after debut. They were all excited, even though most of them were tired from their early morning run. When they released their music video a few days ago, they had an interview, but this was different. Their official debut was last night at Music Bank. Tonight they had a performance on Music Core, then they would have one on Inkigayo the next day.

Hongchul especially was jumping around the whole room, waving his arms around. He couldn't hold in his excitement for being an official idol now. Life has taken a new turn for him, and he couldn't be any happier. He grinned as Dong Moon took his hands and they started dancing together around the room. The other five members just laughed at them, enjoying their energy.

Their manager walked in, telling everyone to get ready for the interview. Woosoon jumped up from his seat on the couch, stretching and yawning loudly. He then followed the manager out of the room. Everyone else followed obediently, walking in to a room that had a table with eight chairs around it. There were many fangirls sitting in stands on the far side of the room, and a small recording booth on the other side.

The seven boys looked at the man, who was about in his mid 40s, sitting at the table, reading over something. He had large head phones on and a microphone sitting right in front of him. Kwang Soo took initiative and sat down right next to him, placing his own head phones. Each of his dongsaengs followed suit and soon all of them were sitting around the table. Today, they're recording for their very first radio show.

Ah, Annyeonghaseyo, K.will imnida,” the man said the audience, before turning to ICEE. “Today on Youngstreet we have rookie boy band, ICEE! They had their official debut last night on Music Bank with their song Lonely Girl. ICEE, can you please introduce yourselves?”

Oh, should I start?” Kwang Soo asked, pointing at himself.

I think so,” K.will said, laughing.

Okay. Annyeonghaseyo, ICEE's leader Jung Kwangsoo imnida,” Kwang Soo said, bowing to the audience, which erupted in to cheers.

Hi guys! I'm Kyle Nam,” Kyle said, waving at the audience and the cameras. “I'm ICEE's lead rapper!”

I'm Kim Dong Moon,” Dong Moon stated, giving a slight bow.

ICEE's Maknae, Kang Son Yeol imnida,” Kang Son stated, grinning widely and bowing.

Ah, I'm Ho Hongchul!” Hongchul cried, waving to everyone.

Annyeonghaseyo, Young Jang Yeop imnida,” Jang stepped in, also bowing to the audience.

Everyone turned to Woosoon, who was staring off into space. Kyle groaned and kicked his brother's foot beneath the table. This jolted Woosoon, who looked around in surprise. The audience started laughing loudly, causing him to blush in embarrassment. He stood up and bowed deeply to the fans.

S-sorry about that,” he said, shyly. “I'm Nam Woosoon, ICEE's lead vocalist. It's nice to meet all of you. Please take care of me!”

Thank you, boys,” K.will said, smiling warmly at them. “I'm K.will, if you don't know. I'm a retired singer.”

Haven't you been running this radio station for like over 15 years?” Kyle asked, looking at K.will.

I have,” K.will replied, nodding his head. “I remember when your father came on here with the rest of his band about 15 years ago for the first time ever, actually. That was a very fun day.”

Fathers,” Kyle corrected him. “But they told us about that.”

They're some really great guys,” K.will stated, nodding his head. “We did a lot together when the eight of us were idols.”

Infinite loves you,” Woosoon replied, nodding his head.

Oh I bet they do,” K.will said, laughing. “Anyway, let's talk about ICEE for now! Tell me about your album you just released.”

Ah, the name of our album is A Dark Night,” Kwang Soo stated. “It was released on the 12th with the music video, Lonely Girl.”

So Lonely Girl is your title track?” K.will asked curiously.

It is,” Kwang Soo replied, nodding his head.

What are the names of your other songs?” K.will asked.

We have 6 songs on our album,” Woosoon said. “One of our songs is more of a hip hop feel, and it was written by Jang Dongwoo. It's called Lost.”

Why do your songs have such depressing titles?” K.will suddenly asked, causing everyone to exchange glances with each other.

I guess since our concept is a darker concept,” Hongchul put in, shrugging his shoulders.

Ah, that makes sense,” K.will replied, nodding his head. “What are the names to your other songs?”

Be My Light, A Broken Heart, Finding Love and we also did a remix to Infinite's Hysterie,” Kyle said, drumming the table with his thumbs.

Oh Hysterie?” K.will asked, smiling at them. “I remember that song. Why did you do a remix for that?”

Well, Woosoon hyung and I auditioned with that song,” Kyle said, gesturing between him and his brother. “And also, the whole group appreciates and loves Infinite. My Appa, Sunggyu, gave us permission to re arrange one of their songs, so we chose Hysterie as a whole group. Dongwoo Samchon rearranged it for us.”

Well, I guess since you're from the same company, and two of the Infinite members are your parents, then that works,” K.will said, nodding his head. “The fans are interested in your dorm life. Can you tell us about that?”

Ah,” Jang said, looking at all s. “Well, we have three rooms. I share with Kwang Soo hyung, Dong Moon and Hongchul share a room, and then Kyle, Woosoon and Kang Son share a room.”

Did Kyle and Woosoon request to be roommates since they're brothers?” K.will asked them.

No,” Kyle said, shaking his head. “I didn't want to share with Woosoon hyung!”

Yah!” Woosoon cried, pouting.

Just kidding,” Kyle said, laughing. “But no, we didn't request to share a room. They just put us in rooms in order by age. Since Woosoon and I are the same age, they put us together. Kang Son is a year younger than us, so he put us in the same room as him.”

How old is everyone?” K.will asked them.

Kang Son will fourteen in less than ten days,” Dong Moon stated. “Woosoon is fifteen, and Kyle is fourteen. He'll be fifteen in a couple months. I just turned sixteen a month ago! Uh, Hongchul hyung is still sixteen, but he'll be turning seventeen next month. Jang hyung is still seventeen, but his birthday is in December. Oh, and Kwang hyung is still eighteen, but his birthday is in November.”

Aw, that's good to know,” K.will said, nodding his head. “I didn't know any of your ages, honestly. I thought Kang Son was already fourteen and Kwang Soo was already nineteen. Do you guys have any important stage names?”

We do, actually,” Kwang Soo said, nodding his head. “My stage name is actually KS. The group members just call me Kwang or Kwang Soo or Kwangie. Uh, Jang Yeop's stage name is Jang, and we all just call him Jang. Hongchul doesn't have a stage name and neither does Kyle. Dong Moon's stage name is Moon. Woosoon's stage name is Namu, because of his father. Son Yeol's is Kang Son. Honestly speaking, we always call Son Yeol and Jang Yeop by their stage names, but everyone else just has their regular names when we're together.”

I just call everyone hyung,” Kang Son stated, shrugging his shoulders and causing everyone else to laugh.

You're funny, Kang Son,” Hongchul stated, ruffling his hair.

Do you guys split up into certain groups of friends? Is anyone close with each other, or do you guys fight amongst each other?” K.will asked them.

Generally we're all pretty close,” Kwang Soo replied. “But if we put it that way, Hongchul and Jang are always playing video games together, and sometimes Dong Moon will join them. Those two have been best friends since trainee years. Uh, Dong Moon and Kyle are practically inseparable. They do everything together. Then there's me, Woosoon and Kang Son. We're always together. Actually, Woosoon and I are really great friends right now.”

And Kyle and Woosoon fight all the time,” Hongchul added. “They never stop arguing. I mean, there are times where they're inseparable and it's almost like they're twins. But other times, they're at each other's necks, shouting and yelling at each other. I guess since they're brothers, it makes sense though. They don't hate each other, which is good. Nobody hates anyone in this group.”

That's good to hear,” K.will said. “Well, other than the sibling rivalry that is. Is there someone who acts more like the jerk in the group?”

Kyle,” everyone said at once, causing Kyle's eyes to widen in surprise and look around at everyone.

Definitely Kyle,” Dong Moon stated, laughing at his best friend. I've seen him at his house and he's the same way with his sister.”

He actually blamed Woosoon hyung for something last night that was definitely an accident,” Kang Son added, nodding his head in agreement.

Wow, I feel the love,” K.will said, laughing. “Anyway, now we'll have ICEE perform their song, Lonely Girl, for you.”

ICEE all stood up and walked over to the recording booth together. They had six mics set up, so Hongchul and Jang shared a mic together. The music started and the seven looked at each other. This was their first time recording a radio show together, so they were very anxious.

The song started with Kang Son's one English phrase, followed by Woosoon. Hongchul and Dong Moon swayed to the music, laughing at each other with every move they made. Soon they let the music over take themselves and they started enjoying themselves, all nerves set aside. Once the song ended, the small audience applauded them. The seven bowed before taking their seats with K.will once again.

Aw, that was so cute,” K.will said, laughing. “I see the seven of you really enjoy music.”

We do,” Woosoon said, nodding his head.

Like father like son,” K.will said, winking at Woosoon and Kyle. “Speaking of which, besides Sunggyu and Woohyun being the fathers to Kyle and Woosoon, what is ICEE's relationship with Infinite?”

Well, we did a remix of Hysterie of course,” Dong Moon stated. “Also, Hoya is our dance instructor and Sunggyu is our vocal instructor. Dongwoo wrote one of our songs, and he rearranged Hysterie for us like we said before. Oh, and Myungsoo is our photographer!”

Oh, interesting,” K.will said, nodding his head. “Do you guys see anything of the others?”

Yes, all the time,” Woosoon stated. “Well, Woohyun's my father, so I see him all the time. Sungjong is married to Hoya, so we see him a lot. Sungyeol is married to Myungsoo, so he's around a lot as well. Infinite is together practically every single day. They're all really good friends.”
“They all went to our debut stage last night,” Kwang Soo added. “Once it was over they came back stage to greet us. Then they took us out for dinner.”

They have great hearts,” K.will said, nodding his head. “Do they ever talk about singing?”

Sungyeol hinted before to me that he wanted to be an idol again,” Kyle replied. “He misses the life of an idol. All of them do, really.”

I can understand that,” K.will replied, nodding his head once again. “With their song Hysterie, do you guys have certain parts?”

We do,” Woosoon replied. “Actually, we just split up the seven parts amongst each other. I sing my dad's part, Kwang Soo hyung sings Appa's part, Kyle sings Dongwoo's part, Kang Son has Sungjong's part, Dong Moon hyung has Sungyeol's part, Hongchul hyung has Hoya's part and Jang hyung has Myungsoo's part.”

Sungyeol and Sungjong only have one line in that song. So that's the same for Dong Moon and Kang Son?” K.will asked, looking at the seven boys.

Yeah,” Hongchul replied, nodding his head. “But they're okay with it. Kang Son isn't too confident with his singing yet. But he's getting better. Dong Moon... He didn't care, since he had a lot of parts in Lost.”

Oh, I see,” K.will said, nodding his head. “You seem like a great group, always taking care of each other.”

That will never change,” Kwang Soo stated. “We'll always take care of each other.”

Always,” everyone agreed, nodding their heads in agreement. “Because ICEE is one!”