Ch. 27

My Son is An Idol

Woosoon, finally being able to walk again without crutches, decided to go outside for a small walk around the park. He wanted to build up the strength in his legs fast, because he wanted to be able dance again soon. He knew how anxious his group was about getting back to work. He wanted to as well. He was excited about the album they would be releasing with Infinite.

Kyle came running to catch up with him, so Woosoon wouldn’t be walking alone. They walked to the park, not speaking a word to each other. Woosoon kept looking up at the sky, which was covered in dark clouds. Looks like the rainy season was starting up. Rain was always Woosoon’s favorite weather.

Once they made it to the park, Kyle rushed over to the playground to play on the swings. Woosoon gave a small smile towards his brother, before walking over to a bench and sitting down on it. The wind was starting to blow, but he ignored it as he watched a woman with two small boys running around the playground. It seemed like they didn’t care too much about the weather, either. Even if a storm was coming, Woosoon would rather be at the park then his crazy dorm.

“Woosoon!” Kyle shouted from the swings, causing the older boy to look up and smile as Kyle did a flip in the swing. “I’m awesome, right?!”

“Whatever you say, Kyle,” Woosoon said with a laugh. He then looked around and saw the woman watching him with an intense stare.

Frowning, Woosoon looked away and watched his brother some more. After a couple of seconds, the woman sat down right next to him, causing Woosoon to jump a few feet in surprise. He looked at her as she touched his cheek and examined his face. Her kids seemed not to be paying attention, since they continued to run around. Suddenly the woman pulled him into a tight hug, crying into his shoulder and shocking him even more.

“Lee Dong Sun! It really is you!” the woman cried, squeezing the breath out of the poor boy. “You look just like him. There’s no mistaking it. I can’t believe I found you! I knew Seoul would be a good place to look.”

“E-excuse me?” Woosoon asked, trying to push her away. “My name’s Woosoon, not Dong Sun. I think you have the right person.”

“I don’t, I don’t,” the woman said, shaking her head. “It’s you for sure. You look just like your father.”

“My father?” Woosoon asked with a frown, just as Kyle came walking over to them.

“Yah, who the hell are you?!” Kyle cried. “Get away from my brother!”

“Dong sun,” the woman said, pulling away and looking into Woosoon’s eyes. “I’m sorry I left you. I’m so sorry you never knew me.”

“What are you talking about?” Woosoon asked, looking at Kyle for help.

“Of course you don’t know,” the woman said with a deep sigh. “Lee Dong Sun, I’m your mother. Lee Choon Hee. I gave you to an adoption center when you were born, because I was only sixteen and your father passed away. I didn’t want you to live a bad life, so I gave you up. I wanted you to live happily.”

“You’re m-my mother? Like birth mother?” Woosoon asked in disbelief.

“Yes, I-”

“KYLE! WOOSOON! HOW COULD YOU LEAVE US BEHIND?!” a voice shouted as Dongmoon and Hongchul came running over to them. “HOW DARE YOU DITCH US! I’M TELLING YOUR FATHER!”

“Which one?” Kyle asked with a smirk, turning on his boyfriend. “Woohyun appa would just laugh. Sunggyu appa, on the other hand...”

“I’ll tell Sunggyu then!” Dongmoon declared. “He’s scarier anyway.”

“Sunggyu appa isn’t scary,” Woosoon said, crossing his arms as Hongchul sat down next to him.

“Yeah, their parents aren’t scary at all,” Hongchul agreed, shaking his head. “I’m in a subunit with them! I should know! Kwangsoo hyung is scarier than them!”

“Who’s this?” Dongmoon asked, pointing at the woman.

“Um,” Woosoon said with a frown, turning on her. “She...”

“She’s saying she’s Woosoon hyung’s birth mother,” Kyle said, crossing his arms. “I don’t know if we can trust that or not. You know how insanely crazy our fans are. Or the Inspirits. For all I know, she could be one of those crazy Inspirits, claiming she’s the mother of her favorite idol’s son.”

“Idol? Fans? Are you guys-”

“We got your message, Kyle!” a voice shouted, causing them to turn and find Woohyun and Sunggyu come running towards them. “We came as fast as we could!”

“Who do you think you are?!” Woohyun cried, charging straight at the woman and making her kids look up and run over to her in fright. “Harassing my son like that?!”

“You called DAD?!” Woosoon cried in disbelief, before turning to Woohyun and trying to push him away. “Dad, please. She didn’t do anything to me!”

“Woohyun, calm down,” Sunggyu said with a sigh. “Woosoon, tell us what’s going on.”

“S-she... she’s saying she’s my birth mom,” Woosoon said, pointing at the woman.

“Your birth mother?” Sunggyu asked in shock, turning on the woman with a slight sadness in his eyes. “How are you his birth mother? What makes you say that?”

“There’s no mistaking it,” the woman said, shaking her head and pulling out her person. “He looks just like his father. His father was about this age when he died. And they look like twins.”

She pulled out a picture, giving it to Sunggyu. Everyone stared at the picture, which had the caption: Kim Ryeol Jin. November 13th, 1995 to December 15th, 2012. The boy in the picture looked like an exact replica of Woosoon, surprising everyone. They knew for a fact that that wasn’t Woosoon in the picture. Sunggyu looked back up at the woman with wide eyes.


“This is-”

“Kim RyeolJin,” the woman said with a sigh. “He was my fiance. We were together since my second year in middle school. He was seventeen when he died. I was sixteen, about to turn seventeen in January. We had one year before we graduated high school, and then we were going to get married after graduation. I was at the hospital getting an ultrasound, and he was driving to come see me. However, he was hit by a huge semi truck. He didn’t make it. I was traumatized... So when I had my son, I couldn’t risk him to have a hard life without a father and a mother in highschool... I sent him to the orphanage, hoping the best for him. And I can see he found a really good family.”

“We didn’t get him from an orphanage,” Sunggyu said with a sad smile, shaking his head. “A family adopted him and abused him for five years. Our son, Kyle, found him in the park, crying and abandoned. That’s when we took him in.”

“I’m still glad he found you,” the woman said with a sigh. “He deserves a good family. And his family being Kim Sunggyu and Nam Woohyun from Infinite? I couldn’t be any happier.”

“You know who we are?” Woohyun asked, leaning against a tree and crossing his arms.

“Of course I do,” the woman said, nodding her head. “I was a major fan of yours since your debut. I mean, after I gave up my son, I never really paid attention to anything. When I finally pulled myself together and everything, I decided to start searching for my son.”

“And who are they?” Woosoon asked, pointing at the boys now sitting in her lap.

“These... they’re your younger brothers,” the woman said. “Hyunki and Hyunshik. Hyunki is five, and Hyunshik is four. I divorced their father last year, cause of abuse and alcohol use. I couldn’t let my boys live in that environment.”

“I can’t... This is too much to take in,” Woosoon whispered, shaking his head. “I don’t know...”

“Hey, guys!” a voice shouted as the other three ICEE members came running over to them. “The CEO just called.”

“What’d he say?” Sunggyu asked, looking up at the three.

“He just got a call from the hospital,” Kwangsoo said. “He said they gave permission for Woosoon and Hongchul to start dancing again. We can finally work in our IceFinite subunits and create those albums.”

“Really?” Woohyun asked with a small smile. “Sungyeol will be happy to hear that.”

“YES!” Hongchul shouted at the top of his lungs. “I’VE BEEN DYING TO DANCE FOR SO LONG!”

“I’m glad,” Woosoon said with a grin as his boyfriend pulled him into a hug and started jumping around in circles. “It’s been a while.”

“Woosoon! We can dance again! We can sing again! This is like the best day of my life!” Hongchul cheered. “ICEE can go back to business again!”

“I definitely missed the idol life,” Kyle said with a grin. “Don’t get hurt again, hyung.”

“I’ll try not to get hurt,” Woosoon said, laughing. “But you know me, Kyle. I always get hurt.”

“Don’t worry, Kyle, I’ll protect your older brother,” Hongchul stated, keeping an arm around Woosoon’s shoulders and looking at the younger boy. “And I’ll protect you and Kangson, too! We need to protect our maknae line, always!”

“We’re not kids, hyung,” Kangson said, rolling his eyes. “At least, I’m not a kid! I’m fourteen!”

“Whatever you say, little one,” Dongmoon said with a laugh, patting Kangson on the back. “To me, Maknae-yah, you’ll always be a little kid.”

“Hyung,” Kangson whined with a pout. “You’re mean.”

“So what’s going on here?” Jang asked, noticing the woman sitting there with her boys.

“This... this is Woosoon’s birth mother,” Hongchul said, pointing at the woman. “And those are her kids, Hyunki and Hyunshik.”

“I’m Lee Choon Hee,” the woman introduced. “I... I’ll go now, and leave you guys alone to your... celebration or whatever. I... I’m so glad I found you Dong.... Woosoon-ah.”

“Don’t leave yet,” Woosoon said, taking out his phone. “Give me your phone number. Let’s stay in contact. I... I want to stay in the Nam family, but that... It doesn’t mean I want to lose contact with you. I just... I love my fathers and my younger brother and my baby sister. There’s no way I’ll ever leave them.”

“Of course, my baby,” the woman said, pulling Woosoon into a quick hug before taking his phone and typing in a quick phone number. “Call me whenever. I’ll always answer.” She then turned to Woohyun and Sunggyu, giving the two a grateful smile. “Thank you so much for finding my son and letting him live a life he deserves. Thank you for letting him live his dream. You guys are the most inspiring parents I’ve ever seen. I won’t rob you of a son.”

“We’ll let you see Woosoon anytime you wish,” Sunggyu assured her. “If you ever need anything, just ask us. We’ll help you no matter what.”

“Come to our showcase,” Hongchul said, his arm still around Woosoon’s shoulders. “We’ll send you the information when the date is decided.”

“I’ll support you guys, no matter what,” Choonhee said with a bright smile, before turning to her boys. “Hyunki, Hyunshik, you see that boy right there? He’s your hyung. Your real hyung.”

“My hyung?” Hyunki asked, looking at Woosoon with wide eyes, while Woosoon smiled and knelt down, gesturing for the boy to come towards him.

“I guess I’m your hyung,” Woosoon said, nodding his head and letting the boy hug him, just as the other boy joined him.

“Your awesome, cool hyung,” Hongchul said, also kneeling down next to them. “He’s a singer. And he’s a really cool dancer, too.”

“Really?” Hyunki asked, looking up at Woosoon.

“Really,” Woosoon said with a smile and ruffling his hair. “You can see me on stage later.”

“Okay, boys,” Choonhee said with a deep sigh. “Let’s go home, it’s starting to rain. Say bye to your hyung.”

“Bye bye hyung!” the two boys shouted together, before running off after their mother as they left the park, leaving the ICEE members and the WooGyu couple to stand alone.

“I can’t describe what I’m feeling,” Woosoon said after a couple minutes of silence. “Come on, let’s get to the studio.”