Ch. 16

My Son is An Idol

“Let me go over some things with you guys before anything else,” the doctor said the next morning as soon as both boys were awake. “So these tests we did on you last night, Hongchul-sshi, were to make sure you qualify to donate a kidney. Good news is that you have a perfectly healthy kidney and there’s no risks of it going bad. HOwever, we don’t know if Woosoon-sshi’s body will reject it or not. If his body tries to reject it, there’s a medicine he needs to take daily to make sure his immune system doesn’t break it down. This will give him a high risk of cancer.”

“How will it affect hyung?” Woosoon asked, worriedly.

“It should have no effect on him,” the doctor replied. “Now with recovery time, it will take Hongchul three months to recover. Woosoon, on the other hand, it will take six months. We’ll keep you both in here for a week after the operations are done. I know you two are idols, but I’m gonna ask you to refrain from activities for three weeks, Woosoon for six. Once those few weeks of bed rest are done, you may go back to singing and variety shows and whatever, but no dancing. Hongchul, after two months you can do light dancing, the same for Woosoon after four. Once you’re completely recovered, you can go back to your normal dancing speed. Once a week you two will need to do regular doctor visits for three months. After that, you’ll come bi-monthy for the next three months. Woosoon will continue to do that for two more months.

“Do our managers know all of this?” Woosoon asked. “This is a lot to take in, I don’t think I’ll remember.”

“Every detail,” the doctor replied, nodding his head.

“HOw long will the surgery take?” Hongchul asked.

“Three hours at most for both of you,” the doctor said. “Each of you will be put to sleep before the procedure, so you won’t have any memory of the surgery being performed.”

“WOOSOON! HONGCHUL HYUNG!” a voice shouted as Dongmoon came rushing into the room with the rest of their band following behind. “HOW ARE YOU FEELING?!”

“I’m fine,” Hongchul said. “I haven’t been in surgery yet.”

“But he’s been complaining that he’s hungry all morning,” Woosoon said with a small smile.

“Hyung, this is your food,” Kangson said, pointing at the IV.

“It doesn’t help my growling stomach,” Hongchul stated, patting his belly.

“Why’d you volunteer, hyung?” Dongmoon asked. “Usually only family or lovers do that.”

“We’re family,” Jang stated, sitting on the edge of Woosoon’s bed. “I’d do it in a heartbeat for everyone of you.”

“So would I,” Kwangsoo agreed.

“Why didn’t Kyle volunteer?” Dongmoon asked, turning on his best friend. “You’re his brother.”

“I did,” Kyle said, quietly. “But Appa didn’t want to risk it. He doesn’t even want Woosoon hyung to go through the operation, but he also doesn’t want to lose him.”

“He didn’t even want me to do it,” Hongchul added.

“Because he cares,” Kwangsoo replied. “He loves you. He loves all of us.”

“That’s what father’s are for,” Woosoon said with a smile. “I’m honestly very scared.”

“YOu would be stupid if you weren’t,” Jang told him. “Even I’m scared. We all are.”

“I’m upset,” Woosoon admitted. “We have to postpone the whole collaboration project. We won’t even be able to do anything as a group for a few months!”

“No, we won’t be able to DANCE together for a while. After a month, we can go back on programs and sing and stuff, but that’s all,” Hongchul corrected him.

“Maybe we can record an album in the time,” Kwangsoo said.

“And we can record all our subunit songs!” Kangson added.

“We’ll be fine,” Jang assured him. “As long as you two get better, we’ll be okay.”

 

...

 

“Annyeonghaseyo, ICEE”s Jung Kwangsoo and Young Jang Yeop imnida,” Kwangsoo said to the press later that day. “We’ve come to make an announcement.”

“We’re extremely sorry to say, but we’ll have no full group activities for at least a month, probably more,” Jang continued. “Any album releases or comebacks or concerts will be on hold for six months. If anything, we’ll still be doing group activities with five of us, and after three months, all seven. Concerts will be possible, but with only five of us. Hongchul-ah will join in any concerts we have after three months, Woosoon-ah after six. The reason for this is that those two are in the hospital for a very personal reason that we will not release to the public.”

“Our collab project with our Infinite sunbaes we had planned will be postponed until the two are perfectly recovered,” Kwangsoo added. “The rest of us will do what we can, since we’re all pretty active. I’m really sorry for this news. I ask that you support us and you especially send your love and support to our members in the hospital during this very hard time. Hongchul is going into surgery in an hour, while Woosoon is going in two days from now. They’ll be released from the hospital in a little over a week.”

“And as for the company,” Jang added, “as company representatives, we’d like to inform you that they will be focusing completely on Infinite’s comeback. Their comeback date will be discussed and released in a few days’ time, since they have already finished music video filming. On top of that, Woollim is preparing a girl group that will debut early next year.”

“That’s all we have to say,” Kwangsoo concluded. “Kamsahamnida.”

After the two finished, they bowed to the flashing and rolling cameras before walking away. Sunghyun and Junhae because a human shield so that the two could get away quickly without being attacked. They safely go into the van, and the manager drove back to the dorms. The whole car was silent on the way back. Everyone was too worried about Hongchul and his surgery.

When they got home, they walked in to find everyone staring blankly at the black tv screen. Jang and Kwangsoo joined Kyle on their couch, not sure what to do. Nobody was in the mood to start a conversation or anything. It was like a room of zombies. Kyle especially looked really bad.

“Looks like Hongchul’s started his surgery,” Junhae stated, looking at his phone. “Alright, come on guys! Hongchul wouldn’t want you to mope around all day! Let’s go out! WAtch a movie! Eat at a restaurant! We should stop sulking for his sake.”

“How could we go and have fun when they’re getting their stomachs cut in to?!” Dongmoon cried, jumping up from the floor in anger.

“I agree,” Kyle said, barely audible. “That’s my brother in there.”

“Kyle-”

“I’m gonna go to my Dad’s practice,” he said before rushing out the door.

As soon as he made it outside, crowds of fans and press crowded around him. He pushed past them as hard as he could, ignoring their questions about his brother and Hongchul. He just desperately wanted to catch a cab. However, a very familiar car pulled up, surprising the boy. He ran up to it, causing the car to stop.

“Hyoan ahjusshi, what are you doing here?” Kyle asked, hopping into the car.

“Coming to see how you’re doing,” Hyoan replied, locking the doors and driving away from the crowds. “Why are you out here? Alone?”

“I need to go see my parents,” Kyle replied. “I can’t stand it here right now.”

“Alright, I’ll take you,” Hyoan replied. “But I want to check on your sister, first.”

“This will be my first time officially meeting her group,” Kyle replied. “Let’s stop by the store so I can get a fruit basket.”

“Alright, let’s do that,” Hyoan agreed, nodding his head.

AFter going to the store, Hyoan and Kyle headed to Misun’s new dorm room. Kyle didn’t talk at all, thinking about Hongchul who had just started surgery. He kept praying the surgery will go well and that HOngchul would be okay. He was scared something might happen. He wished he could be in the older boy’s place.

“Kyle, we’re here,” Hyoan said, breaking the boy out of his trance.

“Oh, right,” Kyle said, getting out of the car.

Unlike his dorms, the area was nice and quiet. No one was taking pictures and asking questions. However, he failed to notice the one reporter that followed him. He and Hyoan walked together up to the girls’ dorm room. They were luckily on the first floor.

Kyle knocked on the door, before waiting a couple minutes. A girl with long, wavy hair answered. Kyle couldn’t remember her name, but he recognized her as the first girl to audition the other day. She was also very surprised to see him standing there. He awkwardly waved, waiting for her to let him in.

“Aren’t you... Aren’t you from ICEE?” the girl asked.

“Uh, yeah,” Kyle said with raised eyebrows.

“Hey, Haru Unni!” the girl cried. “One of the boys from ICEE is here!”

“Which one?” a voice called back.

“The short rapper,” she replied. “Why is an ICEE member-”

“Yah! That’s Misun’s brother!” the other girl shouted.

“I thought her brother was in the hospital.”

“She has two brothers! Both of which that are in ICEE!”

“Oh.”

“Um, can we come in?” Kyle asked awkwardly.

“What are you doing?! Let the poor boy in!” Haru cried, running into view and pulling Kyle in while motioning for Hyoan to come in as well. “Kyle! How are you doing? How’s Honchul and your brother? Are they okay?”

“Um, Woosoon hyung seems to be okay for now,” Kyle told her. “And HOngchul hyung just started surgery.”

“I hope everything goes well,” Haru replied. “Uh, this is Haley. YOu saw her audition, so you know she passed.”

“Yeah, I know. Here,” Kyle said, holding out the fruit basket after taking off his shoes. “Um, where is my sister?”

“She’s in her room,” Haru replied. “Megan? Can you show Kyle to your room?”

“Sure,” another girl said, walking up to them.

“Go ahead and go in first,” Hyoan told him. “I’ll check in a little while. You should check on her first.”

“Neh,” Kyle replied, nodding his head.

Megan led him to the room and Kyle walked in. Misun had her back to him with headphones in. She was reading once again. She did this whenever she was upset. Kyle sighed and walked over to her, taking the book out of her hands. Misun complained and turned, surprised to find her brother there.

“O-oppa?” she asked. “Why are you here?”

“Hyoan ahjusshi and I came to check on you,” Kyle replied, sitting down on her bed.

“He’s here?! Where?” Misun asked, looking around.

“He told me to check on you first,” Kyle replied. “He’s worried about us.”

“He should mainly be worried about you guys,” Misun said with a sigh. “Hongchul’s in surgery, right?”

“I wish it could be me,” Kyle replied, looking away in guilt.

“Oppa, you know Appa wouldn’t allow that!” Misun cried. “After you left, we left soon after. Dad completely broke down in the car. He was scared for Woosoon Oppa, but even more so for Hongchul Oppa. HOw do you think he would feel if it were you?”

“I still can’t stand Hongchul hyung going through with this,” Kyle said, breaking out in tears.

“I know, Oppa, I know,” Misun whispered, pulling her brother in to a hug.

“Hey, Misun-ah,” Haley said, walking in but stopping once she saw the scene. “We, uh, we need to go practice.”

“Neh Unni,” Misun replied, before giving Kyle a tight squeeze. “Oppa, remember you are very special to us. So is Woosoon Oppa. We never want to lose either of you. Don’t regret not being able to be in Hongchul Oppa’s place. He’s brave and he wants to do this. He’s strong. And also, he loves Oppa very much.”

“What?” Kyle asked, backing out of the hug and wiping his tears.

“You can’t tell?” Misun asked. “Look at the way he looks at him. Hongchul Oppa is in love.”