Ch. 24

My Son is An Idol

“Oh, annyeong,” Woosoon said into the camera as soon as he was buckled into the car. “Kyle and I are going to school today. The doctor said I can go, because ICEE’s not doing anything. Actually, all of us are going to school today, but the hyungs and Kang Son all go to different schools.”

“Yeah, Woosoon hyung and I get to see all our old friends!” Kyle cried, looking into the camera. “It’s the first day of school, and we haven’t seen our friends since March. We became trainees in July last year, but we stopped going to school in March cause we were put in ICEE and they were preparing us for debut. We had to take the end of the year test though to insure we were going to be going into our second year. But we had to go at night to take the test, so we didn’t see our friends.”

“We’re gonna have a lot of fun! You guys can meet our friends!” Woosoon cheered. “See you at school!”

“You two seem excited,” Woohyun said with a laugh as soon as Woosoon put the camera into his backpack.

“Of course, Dad,” Woosoon said with a grin. “I miss school!”

“Well, you’ll get to see school soon,” Sunggyu said, shaking his head. “Do you two have everything?”

“Yeah! Kwangsoo and Jang hyungs made us lunches!” Kyle cheered. “Not just for us, but for the other three as well. They want us to be fed well.”

“They’re good hyungs,” Sunggyu said with a smile.

After that all the chatter died down as they drove to the school. Woosoon was nervously rocking back and forth, continuously messing with his school uniform. It’s been so long that he’s been to school that he didn’t know what to do. He was happy that he would see everyone again, but definitely scared at the same time. There’s probably going to be a ton of fan girls, which he wasn’t too excited for.

“We’re here,” Woohyun said, causing Woosoon to perk up and look out the window.

Kyle got out of the car and walked to the back, taking out Woosoon’s wheelchair. He then came to the side Woosoon was on and helped his brother into his wheelchair. Woohyun and Sunggyu then walked up with Woosoon and Kyle to the school office to get their schedules and make sure they were all settled. As idols they did have special treatment, and they were told that they would have homework and lessons sent to them when they were busy. Unless they were able to come, the only times they would actually have to come to school is during special assemblies or tests.

“Oh my gosh! It’s ICEE!” a girl suddenly shouted, making Woosoon a little anxious.

“Settle down, Woosoon-ah,” Woohyun said as they made it to the office. “You’ll be okay.”

“I’m kinda scared now,” Woosoon said honestly. “I don’t want to be smashed by the fangirls who go to school here.”

“You’ll be fine. We’ll be fine,” Kyle assured him. “I’ll be by your side the whole time, hyung.”

Woosoon nodded his head as they went into the office. Woohyun and Sunggyu checked them in and the boys were giving their schedules that had the time of their classes, the room number for their classroom and their locker numbers on them. Woohyun and Sunggyu then bid them goodbye before rushing out since they had practice to attend. Woosoon and Kyle sighed before making their way to their homeroom classroom. The only thing that changed since they left was that suddenly every eye was on them.

Once they made it into their classroom, they were greeted by their old friends, who welcomed them with warm hugs. Woosoon’s nerves died down as he grinned and hugged his friends back. It was nice seeing the guys he’s known for years once again. He missed them more than anything. They both did.

“So what’s idol life like for you guys?” their best friend, Jung Soo Yin, asked as he sat down in a desk next to Kyle.

“Yeah! Tell us! We miss you guys here!” their other friend, Park Myung Joon, said, bouncing in his seat excitedly.

“It’s very fun yet hectic,” Kyle said with a small smile. “We are always dancing... Well we were until Woosoon had his surgery. We just have a break right now.”

“And you guys wear make up all the time now,” Soo Yin said, looking at their faces.

“Well, once you’re an idol, you have an image to maintain,” Kyle said with a shrug as Woosoon brought out his camera again.

“You even carry around a camera?” Myung Joon asked with wide eyes.

“This is for our Bomb!” Woosoon cried with a wide grin. “Remember when we watched BTS Bomb together? Well, we’re filming a Bomb thing now too.”

“Really?” Myung Joon asked excitedly. “Can I be a part of it?”

“Of course,” Woosoon said, just as his phone started ringing. “Hold on.”

“Who is it?” Kyle asked, looking at the phone.

“Hongchul hyung,” Woosoon said with a bright smile before answering the phone. “Neh hyung?”

“Woosoonie! I miss you!” Hongchul cried into the phone. “Are you having fun at school? Make sure you eat, neh? If you need anything, just call me!”

“Hyung, I have Kyle here with me too, so you don’t have to worry,” Woosoon said with a small laugh. “I miss you too! Wish we could be at the same school. It’s sad that we all have to be separated.”

“I know,” Hongchul said with a sigh. “I love you, Woosoonie!”

“Yah! Hyung!” Kyle cried into the phone. “You two can’t be separated for a second, can you? Don’t worry, Woosoon will be just fine! You don’t have to be so clingy! He has his brother here.”

“I know,” Hongchul said with a deep sigh. “It’s just weird not seeing you guys, cause we’re always together.”

“We’ll see you tonight, hyung,” Woosoon assured him. “School’s about to start, hyung. I’ll see you! I love you!”

“Love you too, bye!” Hongchul cried before Woosoon cut off the line.

“You two are so cheesy,” Kyle said, shaking his head.

“We’re not even close to as cheesy as you and Dongmoon hyung are,” Woosoon stated, before turning on the camera. “I’m back! We’re in the classroom now and school’s about to start. Meet our best friends since elementary school!”

“This is Jung Soo Yin,” Kyle said, placing an arm around Soo Yin’s shoulders and pulling him into view.

“And this is Park Myung Joon,” Woosoon said, pointing at his friend who was standing behind him. “The four of us has been through a lot together! They’re great friends! I hope one day they can meet ICEE! That would be so cool!”

“Don’t make Hongchul hyung jealous,” Kyle said with a smirk.

“I would never make hyung jealous,” Woosoon said, shaking his head. “But anyway, school’s starting so we have to go! Bye guys! I love you!”

“You guys don’t have a name for your fans?” Soo Yin asked as soon as Woosoon shut down the camera.

“We’re rookies,” Kyle said, shrugging his shoulders. “We’ll have something soon. Just not yet.”

With that being said, the bell rang and students rushed into the classroom. Everyone sat down in their seats and the chatter died down. Woosoon quickly placed his phone and the camera into his backpack before pulling out his books and a notebook and pencil pouch. Kyle just sat back with his notebook on table, like he always did. The younger boy wasn’t really one to pay attention in class.

Once the teacher walked in, everyone but Woosoon, of course, stood up. Soo Yin, being the class president, counted to three and then had everyone bow. The teacher waved them off and then turned to the board and started writing some things down. She then turned around, surprised to see Woosoon and Kyle sitting in the room. Everyone was probably surprised.

“Welcome back, everyone,” the teacher said with a bright grin. “I hope you had a good summer break. I’m your new teacher, Ms. Kim. I’ll be in charge of your second semester of second year.”

“What happened to Mr. Im?” one of the girls in the front called out, causing the teacher to sigh.

“He’s had some heart troubles over the last couple of weeks,” Ms. Kim told her. “He’s taking some leave of absence for the rest of the year.”

“Excuse me,” a voice said, causing the class to turn towards the door. “You have a new transfer student from Kyungnam High School.”

“Oh, thank you Principal Choi,” Ms. Kim said, nodding her head. “Tell them to come in.”

“Isn’t that Dongmoon’s school?” Woosoon whispered to Kyle, causing Kyle to nod.

“Annyeonghaseyo,” a familiar voice said as Dongmoon walked into the classroom. “Kim Dongmoon imnida. Please take care of me!”

“Hyung!” Kyle and Woosoon cried at the same time, causing Dongmoon to grin and wave at them.

“Looks like we’re being infested by idols this year,” the teacher said with a small laugh as Dongmoon ran over to sit by them. “Class, we get the privilege to be in the same class as three ICEE members.”

“Aren’t you older than Woosoon and Kyle Oppas?” a girl asked, looking at Dongmoon.

“I am,” Dongmoon replied, nodding his head. “But I’m in the same year as them. I started school late. Also, I didn’t want to be separated from them, so I was able to transfer schools.”

“Awww!” all the girls cooed as Dongmoon made his way to sit by Kyle and Woosoon.

“Here hyung, you can sit by Kyle,” Woosoon said, moving away as Myung Joon gave him the chair that was at the desk Woosoon was moving to.

“You didn’t have to do that, Woosoon,” Dongmoon said with a frown.

“It’s either you sit by your own boyfriend, or it’s you sit by someone you don’t know,” Woosoon said, shrugging his shoulders.

“Fine,” Dongmoon said with a deep sigh. “Hey, do you have the Bomb camera? I wanted to use it today, but the hyungs said they don’t have it. Hongchul hyung didn’t have it either. So do you have it?”

“You’re talking to Woosoon,” Kyle said, rolling his eyes. “Of course he does. If it’s not Hongchul, it’s him.”

“Oh, true,” Dongmoon said, nodding his head. “Woosoon, can I use it?”

“Hyung, we’re in class,” Woosoon said, frowning. “You can’t use it while class is in session.”

“I’ll use it later,” Dongmoon told him. “But I wanna use it.”

“Fine, you can-”

“Would the three of you please stop talking?!” the teacher cried, causing the three to look up in surprise. “Yeah, I get it, you’re idols and usually you can do whatever you like. But not in my class. You’re not going to get that kind of special treatment. When you’re in my class, you’ll follow the rules. If you don’t, you’ll get whatever punishment all the other students regularly receives.”

“Neh, sorry,” Woosoon replied, bowing deeply before glaring at the couple in front of him. “You two just love getting me in trouble, don’t you?”

“Always, Woosoon-ah, always,” Dongmoon whispered with an evil grin before they turned their attention to the teacher.

 

...

 

“We’re in the school cafeteria with Soo Yin-sshi and Myung Joon-sshi,” Dongmoon said into the camera later that day. “It’s lunch time and the hyungs called, saying they’re all coming. Apparently Hongchul hyung and Kang Son hyung only goes to school for half the day. I’m so jealous.”

“We’re still having fun, though,” Kyle said as Woosoon broke out at loud laughter from something Soo Yin said. “And hyung’s happy.”

“Oh, you won’t believe how many fangirls we have here!” Dongmoon cried. “Like almost all the girls in this school are our fans! It’s so cool!”

“You’re lucky,” a voice said as Hongchul came over in a wheelchair identical to Woosoon’s, with the other three following behind. “My school only had a handful!”

“You’re here!” Woosoon cheered, grinning at Hongchul.

“Woosoon!” Hongchul cheered, wheeling over to him and throwing his arm over his shoulders.

“How’s school going for you guys?” Kwangsoo asked, sitting down at their table, next to Soo Yin.

“Good good,” Dongmoon said, nodding his head as he closed down the camera. “It’s nice being at the same school as Woosoon and Kyle. Their friends here are so funny!”

“We’ve known these boys for ever,” Myung Joon said, nodding his head. “And I’ve never seen the two this happy. I’m so glad they’re in the same group as you guys.”

“They’re good kids,” Jang said, smiling at the boys. “It’s fun having them in our group. Oh, and I’m Jang by the way.”

“I’m Kwangsoo,” Kwangsoo said to the two friends, smiling at them.

“And I’m Son Yeol!” Kangson cried with a wide grin.

“And I’m Hongchul,” Hongchul concluded, placing a carrot into Woosoon’s mouth without the boy paying attention.

“Y-yah! Hyung!” Wooosoon cried, turning to Hongchul and glaring.

“You’re not eating,” Hongchul said, shrugging. “You need to eat.”

“I will, hyung,” Woosoon said, rolling his eyes. “I don’t need you shoving food into my mouth to get me to eat.”

“Alright,” Hongchul said, taking his hand away. “Suit yourself.”

“Can you guys perform for us?” Soo Yin suddenly asked, looking at all the ICEE members.

“Yeah, that would be so cool!” Myung Joon agreed, nodding his head.

“Uh,” Kwangsoo said, looking at Hongchul and Woosoon with an unsure expression. “Well-”

“Let’s do it!” Woosoon agreed, nodding his head. “You don’t need me and Hongchul to dance. I’ll make sure not to stress myself!”

“I... Fine,” Kwangsoo said with a deep sigh.

“Give me that camera,” Myung Joon said, reaching out for the camera in Dongmoon’s hands. “I’ll film!”

“We’ll post it on our Youtube!” Hongchul cried, pumping his fist in the air. “The highschool cafeteria version of Lonely Girl!”

“Aish, whatever,” Jang said, shaking his head as Kyle took out his phone to start the music.

“EVERYONE IN POSITIONS!” Kyle shouted, getting everyone in the school’s attention. “Soo Yin! Start the music!”

“Only when I say go!” Myung Joon cried, getting the camera ready as Kyle and Dongmoon got on top of the table and Kang Son stood up on a chair.

Myung Joon and Soo Yin backed up so they weren’t in the video. Luckily their table was against the window, so no one else was either. Kwangsoo and Jang just sighed and stood on either side of the table while Hongchul wheeled to the front. Woosoon wheeled over to Kangson and whispered into his ear, gesturing to a girl sitting on her on. Kang Son nodded his head, then Woosoon went up to Myung Joon, whispering something into his ear.

“Alright, let’s go!” Woosoon cheered, helping Kang Son jump down from the chair. “Music cue!”

Myung Joon started recording and the music started. Kangson and Woosoon made their way over to the girl as Kangson said ‘Girl, why are you so lonely?’ They started singing the song and they led the girl over to their table. Together everyone included her as they danced around, singing their song. Everyone went crazy and danced around, listening to the fanchants in the back. To Woosoon, it was music to his ears. He couldn’t be any happier.