Ch. 15

My Son is An Idol

“Two more weeks!” Sungyeol exclaimed happily as Infinite finished their music video recording, all the ICEE members running around the beach like Sunggyu promised. “Two more weeks and we get to go to another country!”

“Speaking of which,” Sunggyu said, turning on his manager. “Who will you guys be going with? Since there’s three managers in all, you will be splitting up amongst the three groups, right?”

“Yes we will,” Hyoan said, nodding his head. “Sunghyun will be with his parents, and we agreed on letting Sung Jun go with them. Junhae will be going with H-4, and I will be with you.”

“Sounds good,” Sunggyu said with a smile.

“Hyung!” Woohyun cried, running over to him. “We need to go! Misun’s audition!”

“Oh right!” Sunggyu cried. “Kyle! Woosoon! Let’s go!”

The CEO agreed to let the family sit in on the audition to cheer Misun on. They wanted to see the young girl succeed and join their company. It would be the best thing ever being in the same company as a family. Sunggyu and Woohyun were proud of their daughter. They had high hopes for her.

Hyoan took the family to the company building and they rushed inside. They found the CEO, ICEE’s new vocal instructor and the company director sitting at a table. Behind them was nine chairs, four occupied by two young girls and two very familiar faces. Sunggyu’s and Woohyun’s eyes widened in surprise at the two girls. They haven’t seen them in years.

“Yein? Soojeong? Why are you guys here?” Sunggyu asked Soojung’s former bandmates.

“Woohyun Oppa? Sunggyu Oppa?” Yein cried in delight as the two girls hugged the couple.

“We didn’t expect you two to be here!” Soojeong cried.

“Boss-nim, why are there so many people here?” Kyle asked, pushing past his fathers.

“Nice to see you too, Kyle,” his boss said with a sigh. “So, how’s practice going? I heard you were sick, Woosoon-ah.”

“I’m still a little sick,” Woosoon replied, smiling shyly. “But Hongchul hyung’s been helping me.”

“That’s good of him,” the CEO said with a smile. “What’s your guys’ next order of business then?”

“Well these next two weeks we’ll be working on recording,” Sunggyu told him. “Hopefully by the end we’ll fit our choreography to the lyrics. Kyle agreed on helping Woosoon get completely caught up on the dances before they start practicing with their subunit each day. Sonyeol’s been helping a lot too, since Infinite F is busy with us.”

“Boss-nim!” Kyle whined, making everyone look at him. “Why are there so many people?!”

“Ey, you’re impatient, aren’t you?” the CEO asked him.

“Yah, Kyle Nam, behave!” Sunggyu scolded his son. “I’m sorry about him. He must be a lot of trouble for you.”

“It’s alright,” the CEO said with a laugh. “Anyway, so I’ll be creating a girl group. These two girls, Haru and Megan, already auditioned right after ICEE debuted. These two and two more girls will make up the girl group. There will be four girls auditioning today.”

“Four?!” Kyle cried. “But I thought it would be just Misun!”

“It gives her a bit of a competition,” Sunggyu told him. “She will be fine.”

“What about them?” Woosoon asked, pointing at the two former Lovelyz members. “Why are they here?”

“Well, this is Yein and Soojeong. They were in Lovelyz with Dongwoo’s wife,” the CEO replied. “They will be the managers of the girls.”

“Oh really? That’s great!” Sunggyu  cried. “I’m happy for you two!”

“Thanks Oppa,” Yein said with a smile. “But why are you guys here?”

“Our daughter is auditioning. We were told that we could come support her,” Woohyun told her.

“Oh, I see,” Yein replied, nodding her head.

“Hey, aren’t you Tablo hyung’s daughter?” Sunggyu suddenly asked, looking at one of the trainees.

“Huh, oh, neh,” the girl replied, bowing politely to the four of them. “I wanted to be like Daddy and debut under Woollim Entertainment. Also... I’m actually a major fan of ICEE.”

“Really?” Kyle asked. “Who’s your favorite?”

“Kwangsoo Oppa,” the girl said with a laugh.

“Well, Haru-sshi, it’s nice meeting you,” Sunggyu said, before pulling Kyle away. “Come on boys, let’s sit down.”

“Everyone should sit,” The CEO said. “I’m starting auditions.”

A couple of minutes later, after everyone was seated and calm, the first contestant was called. A girl with long, black and wavy hair came out. She was wearing a pink track suit, and had half her hair in a hair tie. She bowed politely and introduced herself as Haley Choi. She then started her dance performance, Got7’s Stop Stop It.

After her dance performance, only having messed up once, she introduced her next song. She sang Sistar’s Loving U. She sang with passion and joy. Her voice was flawless and smooth, and she got every pitch right. Sunggyu couldn’t help but praise her.

“Kamsahamnida,” the girl said at the end of her performance, bowing deeply.

“Well done, Miss Choi,” the CEO said with a smile. “I especially love your vocie. It’s very beautiful. Good luck to you.”

“Thank you,” Haley said with a bright smile, before leaving the room.

The next girl, named Kim Ji Eun, came out. She was short with medium length hair pulled back into a hair tie. She danced EXO’s Wolf and sang Big Bang’s Blue. Her moves were a little awkward and she skipped a couple lines in her song. She definitely didn’t match up to Haley.

The third girl, Jung Hye Yoon, came in and started dancing ICEE’s Lonely Girl. But after she saw the two ICEE members, she tripped and fell. Then she fled the room in embarrassment. Kyle, finding this very amusing, couldn’t stop laughing. Sunggyu had to threaten him to get him to stop.

Finally it was Misun’s turn. She came out, looking very nervous. She clumsily bowed to the CEO, before scanning the room. Her eyes widened in surprise when she saw all the people. She especially seemed happy when she saw her whole family cheering for her.

“Annyeonghaseyo, Nam Misun imnida,” she said brightly. “I’ll be dancing Infinite’s Hysterie and-”

“Copy cat!” Kyle yelled out to his sister.

“Shut it, Oppa!” she cried, glaring at her brother. “Sorry for my stupid brother’s interruption.”

“That’s okay, Misun-ah,” the CEO said. “Please continue.”

“Right,” Misun said, nodding her head. “I’ll be singing Daddy’s song, Beautiful.”

“My favorite!” Woohyun cried, clapping his hands. “That’s my girl!”

“Daddy, don’t embarrass me,” Misun ordered him, causing the room to laugh.

The music started, and Misun danced to Hysterie with nice sharp movements. Towards the end of the song, Sunggyu knew just who the two girls who would be joining the girl group would be. When the song fully ended, the whole family and Hyoan jumped up and cheered. The movement, however, was too much for Woosoon, who dropped back down in pain, grabbing his stomach. Misun, not knowing her brother was sick, was very surprised.

“Oppa!” she cried, rushing over to him. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine,” Woosoon said through clenched teeth. “Finish your audition. I’m not going anywhere.”

“Woosoon, as one of my idols, I need to make sure you’re doing well,” the CEO said. “Are you sure you don’t need to step out for a second? I can call one of your managers to pick you up.”

“I’m staying for the audition,” Woosoon said, stubbornly. “I need to support my sister.”

“Fine, but I’m not going to allow you to practice in this condition,” Sunggyu told his son. “Hyoan hyung, take him back to the dorms after the audition.”

“Alright,” Woosoon said, closing his eyes in pain.

“Take him to the hospital,” Sunggyu whispered t his manager. “He’s had this for over a week.”

“Misun, please continue,” the CEO said, bringing the attention back to the audition.

...

“It’s a kidney failure,” the doctor told Sunggyu as they stood outside the waiting room with Kyle, Misun and Hongchul. Even though there was a celebration party for passing the audition, Misun refused to go. Hongchul begged to also come with. “Both his kidneys are bad. It looks like they have been for years. To survive, he needs a kidney donar.”

“I’ll donate!” Hongchul volunteered almost immediately, causing everyone to turn on him.

“Hongchul-sshi, this is really serious business,” Woohyun said with a frown. “You-”

“I want to do it,” Hongchul told him.

“We’ll have to get your parents’ permission,” Woohyun said, looking at his husband.

“Here, I’ll give you their number,” Hongchul said,. “Please! I really want to do this!”

“Will Woosoon be okay with this?” Sunggyu asked with a frown.

“How about you talk with his parents and I’ll take Hongchul here in to talk to Woosoon,” the doctor suggested.

“Alright,” Sunggyu said, letting out a deep sigh.

Hongchul quickly gave Sunggyu his mother’s number before rushing off with the doctor. Sunggyu didn’t understand why the boy wanted to do this so badly. It seriously scared him. If it went according to the boy’s plan, it could be very dangerous. If anything went wrong, it could be two lives at risk.

“I don’t know if I want to allow this,” Sunggyu said with a frown. “But I want to, because I don’t want to lose my son.”

“Appa, what if I donated?” Kyle asked, seriously. “I don’t want hyung to do it.”

“I’m DEFINITELY not letting you do it, Kyle,” Sunggyu said. “Not both my sons.”

“But Appa, I-”

“I said NO Kyle. That’s final,” Sunggyu shouted. He then turned away and dialed Hongchul’s parents’ number, placing the phone to his ear.

“Hello?” a voice asked after a couple rings.

“Hi, is this Ho Hongchul’s mother?” Sunggyu asked.

“Yes it is, who is this?” the woman replied.

“This is Kim Sunggyu, Nam Woosoon and Kyle Nam’s dad,” Sunggyu told her.

“Oh, yeah, the guy from Infinite?” the woman asked awkwardly.

“Yeah,” Sunggyu said softly. “Look, I’m sorry to be calling so late at night, but Woosoon’s in the hospital. He had a kidney failure and he needs a transplant. Hongchul volunteered to be a kidney donar, and he’s like REALLY set on doing it. I told him he had to get your permission. I honestly don’t want him to do it, but I also don’t want my son to die. I don’t think we have any other option.”

“That’s something really hard to say yes to,” the woman said after a long moment of silence. “But I know my son. Once he has his heart set on something, he won’t give up. He’s-”

“Let him do it,” a man’s voice said. “My son isn’t afraid to do it, so let him. We also don’t want to lose Woosoon.”

“Are you sure?” Sunggyu asked them. “Cause we can find-”

“Yes, I’m sure,” the man said. “But tell me what hospital you’re at. I need to see my son.”

“The one right next to their dorms,” Sunggyu told him.

“Good. We’ll be right over.”

 

...

 

“Woosoon-ah, I have something to talk with you about,” the doctor said, signalling for Hongchul to wait outside the door.

“What is it?” Woosoon asked hoarsely, not even opening his eyes.

“Well, you see... You have a kidney failure,” the doctor told him. “We don’t think you’ll survive much longer. To survive, you need a transplant. You’ll need to have someone donate you a kidney.”

“Who would donate me a kidney in such short notice?” Woosoon asked with wide eyes, struggling to sit up in bed.

“Please, stay down,” the doctor begged him. “ And we have someone who wants to be your donar. However, we told him he needs to ask you first.”

“It’s someone I know?” Woosoon asked, only to get a nod in return. “Why in the world would I allow that?”

“I’ll let you talk it out with him,” the doctor said, stepping aside to let Hongchul through.

“Please tell me it’s not-” Woosoon started, only to be cut off when the boy came in. “Hyung?! No! Definitely not! I will not allow this one bit! Why does it have to be you, hyung?!”

“Woosoon-ah,” Hongchul said softly, walking over to him. “Please let me do it.”

“I-I can’t,” Woosoon replied, shaking his head. “Not you! If anything happens... I just can’t lose you, hyung. Not you!”

“Woosoon-ah,” Hongchul said with a sigh, sitting on the edge of the bed and taking his hand. “I’m going to do anything it takes to help you. I definitely don’t want to lose you. If that means donating a kidney, then so be it!”

“H-hyung,” Woosoon said with tears in his eyes, the whole situation finally processing in his head. “I’m so scared, hyung. W-what if I die? What if something goes wrong? I don’t know what to do!”

“It’ll be okay,” Hongchul whispered, pulling the crying boy into a tight hug. “Hyung will be by your side the whole time.”

“Hey boys, you have some visitors,” the doctor said, causing the two to look up, Hongchul still hugging the younger boy.

Woohyun, Sunggyu, Kyle and Misun walked in, along with Hongchul’s parents. Kyle ran over and joined the hug, bursting out in tears. Hongchul never saw him cry, but it touched him. He soon started to cry as well, burying his face in Woosoon’s hair. Both boys meant the world to him.

“You both are so stupid,” Kyle whispered. “Why’d you have to get sick? Why do both of you have to go through with this?”

“Alright boys,” the doctor said, walking over to them. “So we’ll have to be putting an IV on Hongchul-sshi now. You guys have to stop drinking liquids eight hours before your surgery. Hongchul’s surgery will be at eleven am, and Woosoon’s will be at eleven on Tuesday,” the doctor told them. “Luckily this room is big enough so that you can both share it.”

“Thank you, doctor Lee,” Woosoon said softly, breaking out of the hug. Thank you everyone. Especially Hongchul hyung. I’ll make sure to stay healthy for everyone from now on.”

 

...

 

“Boys! Everyone in the living room right now!” Sunghyun called as soon as he got home from the hospital with Kyle. Woohyun and Sunggyu asked him to pick up Kyle so that they could bring Misun to her new dorm. They told him everything that’s going on. “Where’s Jang?”

“Asleep,” Dongmoon stated.

“Well then wake him up!” Sunghyun cried as Junhae also joined them. “I have a very important matter to discuss with ALL of you.”

“I’ll get him,” Junhae said, before walking out of the room.

“Kyle, are you crying?!” Dongmoon asked, walking up to his best friend.

“N-no,” Kyle replied, quickly wiping away his tears.

“You never cry, hyung!” Kangson cried. “Is everything okay with Woosoon hyung?”

“It must not be,” Kwangsoo said sadly. “And I guess Hongchul must be involved, considering he’s not here.”

“Truthfully it’s very serious,” Sunghyun said as soon as Jang and Junhae joined them. “Woosoon had a kidney failure, and both his kidneys are in very bad shape. He might not even survive much longer.”

The whole room went silent as they started at Sunghyun in disbelief. Kangson broke out in tears, hugging Kyle tightly. Dongmoon stood there dumbfounded, at a complete loss of words. The two hyungs exchanged worried and scared glances. No one could accept these words.

“With that being said, he needs a transplant so that he can live,” Sunghyun told them. “Hongchul volunteered to be his donar. Hongchul will be going into surgery at eleven tomorrow morning, and Woosoon will be going in at eleven on Tuesday.”

“Hongchul?!” everyone cried at the same time, causing the manager to nod.

“Now everyone needs to get to bed,” Sunghyun ordered. “We’ll get up at six so we can go visit them.”

 

A/N here's the next chapter for you guys!! Introducing the angst. Well, hope you liked it! Love you all! Please please comment!