Ch. 12

My Son is An Idol

"Hurry up Hyung!” Dongmoon cried as he and four of his bandmates marched through the parking lot of a pet store. “Woosoon! Stop lagging behind!”

“I’m tired! I don’t want to walk anymore!” Hongchul complained.

“Yeah! And I have my fishy!” Woosoon agreed, nodding his head enthusiastically. “My poor fishy will die if I go faster, since I’ll be shaking up the water and everything!”

“Why did you get a fish anyway?” Kyle asked, rolling his eyes at his brother.

“Because, fishies are amazing! You wouldn’t understand, Kyle,” Woosoon stated, sticking his tongue out.

“Come on!!!” Dongmoon cried, moving forward again with Kyle and Kang Son following close behind.

“Let’s go sit down, Woosoon-ah,” Hongchul said, bending over and catching his breath. “I’m so tired!”

“Yeah! And I bet fishy is too!” Woosoon agreed, following Hongchul into a small cafe without the other three noticing. “We should get something to drink, too! I’m thirsty!”

“I agree!” Hongchul cried, nodding his head. “What should we drink?”

“Americano!”

“Ew! Gross! Why?!”

“Cause Sungyeollie hyung likes them!”

“That ahjusshi has weird tastes. Let’s get something else,” Hongchul stated, shaking his head. “How about a latte?”

“I don’t like lattes.”

“Then what should we get?”

“HOT CHOCOLATE!”

“In the summer?”

“Of course! That’s when it’s always best!”

“What about a chocolate frappe? It’s practically an iced hot chocolate.”

“I’ve never heard of a chocolate frappe, hyung.”

“How could you have never heard of a chocolate frappe?! Are you insane?! They’re the best things in the world!”

“Well because they don’t exist,” Woosoon replied, shrugging his shoulders.

“I’LL PROVE IT TO YOU!” Hongchul cried, marching right on over to the cashier. “Ma’am, I’d like to get two large chocolate frappes!”

“Is that all?” the cashier asked, typing something on the register, before taking a double look at the two boys. “Hey, I know you two! Aren’t you in ICEE?”

“Yep, that’s us!” Woosoon cried, proudly. “Do you know who’s who?”

“Well, no, actually,” the girl said, shaking her head. “I do know two boys are Kim Sunggyu’s and Nam Woohyun’s kids. I was a huge fan of Infinite’s back when I was younger. But I’ve never seen their kids.”

“You’ve never seen Woosoon and Kyle?!” Hongchul cried with wide eyes. “How are you a fan of Infinite’s then?! That’s the whole reason Infinite disbanded! Because of the boys! They wanted to take care of the boys! How do you NOT know which ones are Kyle and Woosoon?!”

“I just stopped paying attention, I guess,” she said, shrugging her shoulders. “So which ones are you two?”

“Well, I’m the third oldest. My name is Hongchul,” Hongchul stated, smiling brightly at her.

“I’m the third youngest,” Woosoon stated. “My name is Nam Woosoon, Nam Woohyun and Kim Sunggyu’s oldest child out of three.”

“You’re Woosoon?!” the girl cried in disbelief. “Um, one second... I’ll give you these frappes for free.”

“You don’t have-”

“OKAY!” Hongchul cried, cutting off Woosoon. “Thank you very much! See Woosoon, I told you chocolate frappes existed!”

...

“So someone explain to me where the other five ICEE members are,” Sunggyu ordered, looking around the room where they were going to start their practice sessions. “Where are my kids?”

“That’s a good question,” Hyoan stated, turning on the two oldest of ICEE. “Where are your group members?”

“Well, they were gone when we woke up,” Kwang Soo stated, shrugging his shoulders. “And they won’t answer their phones. What am I supposed to do?”

“Well, you’re supposed to be up at six every morning,” Hyoan stated. “Did no one tell you that? When you’re scheduled to work that day, the leader’s supposed to be up and wake everyone up.”

“I did get up at six,” Kwangsoo said, frowning. “They were already gone.”

“And isn’t it the manager who’s supposed to in charge of that?” Jang asked, turning on their manager, Sunghyun.

“Yah! It’s not my fault!” Sunghyun cried. “I woke up at five! They weren’t even there when I woke up!”

“You’re supposed to be alert. You-” Hyoan started, but Sungyeol cut him off.

“Don’t you scold my son! It’s not his fault!” Sungyeol cried. “Sunghyunnie didn’t do anything wrong!”

“Sungyeol’s right,” Sunggyu said with a sigh. “It’s no one’s fault. And speaking of missing members... Where in the world did Woohyun, Myungsoo and Dongwoo go?”

“You know hyungs,” Sungjong replied, shaking his head. “They get distracted by every little thing.”

“Well, before the boss-”

“Hello boys,” a new voice said just as their boss entered. “How is... WHERE IS HALF THE PEOPLE?!”

“Well, the other Infinite members just vanished into thin air,” Hyoan stated. “They’re somewhere in the building, but we don’t know where. They’ve been here all morning since they had to practice for their comeback.”

“And the other ICEE boys were up and out the door before five this morning,” Sunghyun told him.

“Sorry, we were in the restroom,” Woohyun announced as he and the other two rushed into the room. “So are we going to... Where is everyone?!”

“We have no idea,” Sungjong replied, shrugging his shoulders. “They’re just gone!”

“These kids are definitely in trouble,” the CEO said with a sigh. “They know we need to start with our sub units.”

“Don’t punish my Woosoonie and Kyle too hard,” Woohyun said, pouting. “They’re just little kids.”

“Well they-”

“We’re here!” a new voice cried as Dongmoon, Kyle and Kang Son rushed into the room. “Sorry about that!”

“Where in the world were you?!” the CEO cried, turning on the three.

“Well, you told us we didn’t have to be here till one... So the five of us went out for a morning run, then we went to get breakfast. And since we had time, we decided just to explore the neighborhood. We didn’t mean to be late,” Kyle stated, shrugging his shoulders. “But we’re here, right?”

“Not all of you,” Sunggyu stated, frowning at his son. “Where in the world is your brother? And Hongchul?”

“They were just behind us,” Dongmoon told them, looking around.

“They really were,” Kyle agreed, also looking around. “No wonder we didn’t hear their whining anymore..”

“Whatever,” the CEO said with a sigh. “I’ll deal with you guys later. For now, get in your groups. Sunggyu, Woohyun, Kwangsoo, will you guys be okay without Hongchul for now? You might have to work longer because he’s not here. That also goes for Babiez. Since Woosoon isn’t here, it will be hard.”

“We’ll do what we can do,” Sunggyu said with a sigh. “But I do want to know where my son is.”

“I’ll have to have a talk-”

“I will deal with my own kids, thank you,” Sunggyu cut him off. “Go ahead and deal with the other three, but I’ll take Woosoon and Kyle’s case into my own hands. They’re my boys, after all.”

“Alright, I understand.”

...

“Hyung, you NEED to get me more chocolate frappes,” Woosoon stated as he and Hongchul walked into the company building. “I am like addicted to those things!”

“I noticed. You had like three cups,” Hongchul said, laughing. “You must have really enjoyed those.”

“I really really really did,” Woosoon replied, nodding his head. “They’re the best! You’re the best! Thank you hyung!”

“No problem, Woosoon,” Hongchul said, laughing. “Now we-”

“WHERE HAVE YOU TWO BEEN?!” a new voice shouted as Sunggyu came stomping over to them. Woosoon cowered in fear as soon as he saw his angry father. “You guys are two hours late! Do you know what that means?! Nam Woosoon, you are not going to the dorms tonight. You’re going straight home with me.”

“But appa...”

“No buts. Go to your practice room right now! I’m very angry with you.”

“N-neh,” Woosoon stuttered out, before rushing away.

“You, come with me,” Sunggyu added, before walking away with Hongchul following obediently behind, his head bowed in shame.

...

“NAM WOOSOON! NAM KYLE! GET YOUR BUTTS IN HERE RIGHT NOW!” Sunggyu shouted as soon as he walked into the living room of their house. Misun looked up at her angry father, afraid of him even though she didn’t do anything wrong. Woohyun was sitting next to her, staring at his husband with tired eyes. He couldn’t do anything to calm Sunggyu down. His poor boys were now under Sunggyu’s wrath, and he couldn’t help them.

Kyle and Woosoon quickly rushed into the room, careful not to anger their father any more. Woosoon was drying his hair from the shower he just took. He only had time to get dressed when his father called him down. Kyle, on the other hand, was shirtless and sweating. He was working out in their home gym, waiting for his brother to get out of the shower so that he could shower.

Woosoon knew he was going to get a bigger punishment than Kyle, since he was the one who decided to stray away from the group. He was ready to accept his punishment. His father always taught him not to be late. He went against one of Sunggyu’s rule. He was ashamed and embarrassed with himself.

“You guys are both grounded for a week,” Sunggyu stated. “You won’t be allowed to go back to the dorms after practice, and you’ll be doing hard core morning runs with me every morning. You will go to our practice and sit through it, and you aren’t allowed out of our sights until you are doing sub unit work. Woosoon, you’ll have to give me your phone. You will not be allowed to use it this whole week. Do you both understand?”

“Neh Appa!” they both cried.

“Now Kyle, go shower and then both of you go straight to your rooms.”