Chapter 1

Prince and the Beast

 

It was like any other normal day as you walked to school with your childhood friend and only friend, Lee Kikwang. Not only was Kikwang a handsome guy but he also had a very sweet and friendly personality that made everyone like him even more.

You, on the other hand, were a bit chubbier and more average looking than everyone else. The only reason why you were friend with such an amazing person was that you two were next-door neighbor in an apartment building as kids and are still now.

As a kid, you came from a wealthy family but your parents were never home. You had an older sister who was the perfect beautiful daughter that your parents adore but it feels as though you two are just strangers, not siblings at all.

How you met Kikwang was when you were accidentally locked outside of the apartment after coming home from elementary school. Your parents were supposed to come pick you up but never showed up. Later on, you found out that they and your older sister, Kang Miyeon, went to a business dinner party without you but you didn’t care, it wasn’t the first time that it had happened.

---------

The ten year old you were sitting in front of the front door reading a book as you waited for your family to come back home but you knew they weren’t going to come back anytime soon.

The door to the apartment next to your slowly opened and a young boy around the same age as you peeked his head out to look at you. If you remembered clearly, he was the popular boy in school that every girl liked.

“Why are you still out here?” The boy asked.

You simply ignored him as you pulled the book up to cover your face. You heard the door closes and thought that he had went back inside until you heard some quiet footsteps coming towards you.

“You’ve been sitting out here for almost…four hours.” He counted his fingers. Seeing that you weren’t going to answer he continued talking, hoping that you’ll answer him in some ways. “What are you reading?”

You held up the book to show him.

“Cinderella?” The young boy nodded, “That really doesn’t seem like you since…you know.”

“I’m a beast?” You finally spoke.

“That’s what everyone at school calls you but that doesn’t mean that you are one. Oh yeah, I’m Lee Kikwang.” The boy smiled as he held out his hands to you to shake.

You set down your book and stared at his hand then up to his face where a smiled was spread across his face.

Kikwang awkwardly took his hand back, “Can I know your name? I don’t want to have to call you ‘beast’, you know.”

“Kang ~~~~.” You mumbled but it seemed that Kikwang heard you.

“Kang ~~~~? That’s a nice name.” Kikwang sweetly smiled.

“A nice name for the wrong person.” You looked back at your book.

Kikwang looked at you in confusion, “What do you mean? It’s like you agree to be called a beast?”

“Isn’t that what I am? A ‘beast’?” You stood up and walked toward the elevator.

“Wait! Where are you going?” Kikwang also got up.

“Leave me alone!” You shouted, hoping that would scare him away but instead Kikwang was just a bit taken back.

Nevertheless, he followed you anyway. You grunted, knowing that he would follow you no matter what you did to make him go away. Meanwhile, Kikwang was happily walking beside you, finding you very amusing.

Just like everyone else, Kikwang did thought of you to be a beast but now that he talked to you and even allowed to follow you when it was clear that you didn’t like it, Kikwang knew you had a soft heart.

“You’re cold on the outside but you’re very warm on the inside.” Kikwang pointed out.

You glared at him, “You’re so annoying!”

“You’re the first to tell me that.” Kikwang pouted his lips.

You groaned as you stepped inside a convenience store with Kikwang following you closely behind. You walked over to the cup noodles and grabbed two.

“Hey ~~~~, here again?” Mr. Kim greeted you as you approach the cashier.

Mr. Kim was the owner of this convenience store and is in his mid-thirties. You came here many of times when you were locked outside of the house or when you didn’t want to be at home.

At first, Mr. Kim always asked you question as to why a kid like you were doing outside but after not answering back a couple of time, Mr. Kim never asked again. It was better for you to be here than somewhere else that could be more dangerous. It was also because you talk more when he didn’t ask questions about your family.

“I see you brought a friend this time. Hello, I’m the owner of this convenience store, Mr. Kim.” Mr. Kim patted Kikwang’s head as he filled our cup noodle with hot water then setting them at the table in the corner with the glass windows facing the streets.

“Hello, I’m Lee Kikwang. We go to the same school and I’m ~~~~’s neighbor.” Kikwang politely bowed.

“~~~~ is lucky to have such a nice friend like you even though you two are somehow different from each other. Take good care of ~~~~ here.” Mr. Kim ruffled your head before he went back to the cashier to tend to some customers.

“Aish.” You patted your head.

Kikwang laughed as your hair that was in a ponytail was now ruined. Seeing that you weren’t going to fix it yourself, Kikwang moved his chair closer to you.

“Let me fix your hair for you.” Kikwang reached up to your ponytail but you moved away.

“Don’t touch me.” You sent him a glare.

For some reason, Kikwang could picture you as a small puppy that was cutely growling at him as if you were a big dog.

“I’m just going to fix your hair. You don’t want to called beast, do you?” Kikwang looked at you.

You puffed out your cheek, “Fine.”

Satisfied, Kikwang pulled out your hairband, making your shoulder length hair fall down. Kikwang softly ran his fingers through your soft silky hair. After putting your hair neatly back up in a ponytail, you handed him one of the cup noodle.

“For me?” Kikwang asked.

“I can’t finish them both.” You looked away.

Kikwang smiled, “Thanks.”

After finishing the cup noodles, the two of you head back to your apartment. You heard some noises inside so you knew your family was back.

“Hey, wait a moment.” Kikwang grabbed your hand to stop you from ringing the doorbell.

You looked at his hands that was holding yours, “You shouldn’t touch a beast.”

“You’re not a beast and don’t you know even the beast have a happy ending.” Kikwang gave you a sincere look.

“There is no happy ending for a beast.” You shook off his hand and rang the doorbell.

“You’re wro-“

Before Kikwang could even continue, the door opened revealing your older sister by a year, Miyeon. You saw Kikwang took a double look at Miyeon and went inside without bothering to say anything to Kikwang or Miyeon.

“No one can love a beast.” You whispered to yourself as you went to your room.

--------

“~~~~?” Kikwang called out as he saw you going ahead of him as soon as the two of you reached the school gates.

“I’ll be going ahead.” You shrugged.

“Wait, we can go together since we have the same class anyway.” Kikwang reached out to grab your hand but someone pulled him into a headlock, “Wah!”

“Haha, morning.” Doojoon laughed as Kikwang struggle to break free.

You ignored them and continue walking into the school.

“Why does the beast always walk to school with our prince?” One girl said as you walked by.

Her friends nodded, “She’s so ugly like a pig.”

They laughed as they continue to point out how chubby you were. You were just a little bit chubbier than those skinny girls but of course in a society where being beautiful and skinny was everything, you knew you couldn’t do anything.

“This pig here can run you guys over anytime like a bowling ball hitting a strike, besides pork taste the best.” You smirked at them.

You silently laughed as they awkwardly walked away. You were used to these kind of comment but you enjoyed making them looking like a fool so you’ll make some kind of remark back at them.

“Here goes any day.” You sighed as you stepped into your class.

 

 

I think this chapter is too long =.=  I'm going to stop giving a title to the chapter since it's so hard to think of one. Anyway, thanks for reading! v(^o^)v