I'm Sorry (2)

Mute

 

 

I woke up in a hospital bed. I sat up and looked around. No one was in the room. There was an extreme pain at the back of  my head. I touched the part where it hurt and I regretted doing so. Not only because I touched where it hurt but also the lifting of my arm. My whole body ached. I decided to lay back down.

 

For the whole day, I was just staring at the ceiling. Later, the nurses came in and realized I'm awake. They reported it to  the doctors then the doctors checked on me. They said I'd have to stay for a while in the hospital and I was okay with that. I don't want to face anyone who has their face worried. Then again, if they're coming to visit, who wouldn't be worried? The doctors said I had a skull fracture. I remembered what happened. I was in that guy's place, hugging him so that I'd be hit instead. I needed to tell him that I'm sorry. I wondered if I could say it to him.

 

Around 5 o'clock, people came into the room. There was my mom and my dad, my brothers, and Jiae. Jiae was crying and hugged me tight. I had to tell her that it hurts so she could release me. Mom was greeting me with a sad smile. Her children have been hospitalized two times in the year with the cause of something we wouldn't expect. Dad was there watching me. So were my brothers. Jiae and mom were the ones who did most of the talking.

 

"Oh my god, Yaejin!", Jiae cried. "I thought you were gonna die."

"You're in here for a week and five days so far, sweetheart.", Mom said. 

"Just please don't do anything like that again.", Jiae told me. Does she know what I did?

"Whatever it is you did, if it's important to you, don't let anything come out like this ever again.", Mom said after.

 

They stayed for about an hour and left by then. Mom left me some books from the house to keep me entertained. She said my phone got lost after the incident and that we'll buy a new one when I get out. It is sad my phone is lost but I have more troubles to worry about.

 

Just then, someone came through the door. It was him. Sungjong. He was the last person I wanted to see right now. Jiae probably texted him that I'm awake. I can see it in his eyes that he's worried and angry at the same time. I don't know if it's him who he's angry about or it's me because this is all my fault right now.

 

"Why did you do that?", he asked. I stayed silent.

"Why did you go into his building?" I couldn't answer him without tearing up. The lump in my throat made it hard to speak.

"Do you know how scared I was when I heard you went there? Do you know how many things popped into my mind of all the possiblities they could do to you there?", he continued asking.

"So, why, why did you?" The tears started streaming. I shook my head.

"I don't want to be mad at you. Seeing you like this,...", he said. It was clear he worried about me more than he was angry about me.

"I'm sorry.", was all that came out of me. This is my fault. I can still see some of the bruises on your face. I was the cause of that. I didn't want you to get hurt. But you did. Please forgive me. "I'm sorry."

 

The words came spilling out of control. I cried as I said this. Sungjong was just there, standing by the bed. He had his head hung low. His bangs covered his face. He then sighed with his jaw clenched.

 

"It's better if you don't get involved.", he said. He grabbed my hand and leaned in and kissed it before placing it back to my side. He went to the door and right before he left, he said, "I'll see you around the halls." And I continued crying.

 

 


Hope you enjoyed reading!!!