Between Friends

Mute

 

 

"I'm home!"

 

I entered the house with a frown on my face.

Don't talk to Sungjong? That's just rubbish... Well, I can't let Hyeomin win this fight now, can I? After all, both of us like Sungjong. Sungjong-ssi.... I wonder who he likes?

 

"Oh, Yaejin-ah.", eomma spoke as she saw me. "Can you make dinner for tonight?"

"Ne.", I replied.

 

I went to my room and changed. Then, my phone rang. It was Jiae.

"Oh, Jiae, what do you want?", I said.

"Yah! Yaejin-ah!", I winced as she shouted through the phone.

"What is it?", I asked.

"It's about Hyeomin-ssi.", she said. Oh...

"She's been crying for hours and I don't know what to do", she continued."Can you come here and help me out?"

"Sorry, can't.", I said. "Have to make dinner."

"Yaejinnnn. Come on, just for tonight. Jaebal!"

"I said I can't, okay?"

"Would you just--" I hung up on her.

 

Sigh. I really need to make dinner tonight. That's a real excuse. And, I don't think Hyeomin and I can make amends that easily. Ah, seriously... why did this happen to our friendship?

I kept having deep thoughts on what would happen between us.

Then, I heard voices from the outside.

 

"You sure you're not dating my sister?", said one. It was Sandeul-oppa's.

"Ne. I can assure you we are not.", said another. Could it be... Sungjong's?

"Ah,... I'm glad.", Sandeul said. "But, you're not a bad guy  after all. Just steal the heart of my sister already, won't you?" I started blshing.

 

"OI!!" I banged the door open, shocking my brother."WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT THERE?"

"Aish, this girl...", he said. "Yah, Yaejin-ah! Don't you think of the possibility of breaking the door with your strength? Ah, you don't really think..."

"Mwo?!" I pinched his ear.

"Ah! Ah! Sungjong-ah! Save me!", he asked for help. But, Sungjong just stood there.

"You only get small portion tonight, arasseo?", I told him.

"Why does the world have to be cruel to me?", he mumbled. Then, he looked at Sungjong. "Why don't you have dinner with us today?", he asked.

"Ah, it's okay. You don't have to.", he answered.

"Eh? Don't worry.", Sandeul said. "This girl can cook like an angel." Then, he whispered to him, "But she's not one at all." Which I heard.

"Ne, Sungjong-ssi, why don't you just eat all of Sandeul's portion for tonight?", I said. "I'm sure he's not hungry."

"You can seriously be a sometimes.", said Sandeul.

"You calling me a ?" It felt like a blew a fuse.

"Oh, ."

"Go to the convenience store and buy yourself some cheap ramen!", I shouted at him.

"Eomma!", Sandeul shouted. "Yaejin let the rice burn!" It really was burned.

 

"Aigoo.", eomma said. "Next time, I won't let you go working in the kitchen anymore."

"Ne, eomma.", I had my head down.

"Ne, Sungjong-ssi, eat up." Eomma told him. He continued to our house because Sandeul forced him to.

"It's alright. I'm full.", he said.

"Eh? You only ate little. How can you live like that?"

"I'm used to eating this much."

"Ani, ani. Eat this.", Eomma put more food into his plate. He just smiled and ate quietly.

 

After dinner, he went home.

"Well, I'll take a bath and go to sleep. Good night!", Sandeul said.

"Wait just a minute.", I grabbed him by the shoulder. "Ever say a word that's about me to him,", I drew a line across my neck." You're dead."

"Ara, ara.", he waved me off.

 

I went to my room and grabbed my phone. I texted Jiae.

 

Hey!

Sorry I hung up on u

Me and Hyeomin aren't on good terms

 

I thought about it then changed the text.

 

Hey!

Sorry I hung up on u

Hope hyeomin's okay

*send*

 

I don't think our friendship can be back to normal...