Baby, Don't Cry

♥ Baby, Don't Cry
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baby, Don't Cry - EXO-K (open in new window)

(a/n: i used the korean ver for the background music becuz kyungsoo will be singing, but i used the lyrics from the chinese ver becuz it fits better) 

Kyungsoo's POV

 

 

I woke up when I felt the mattress move underneath me. Something must've knocked on it. I was about to brush it off and go back to sleep, but then I heard sounds resembling padding of the feet against the floor. Finding it rather peculiar, I reluctantly opened an eye to peek at whatever it was. When my vision finally focused, I was able to catch a glimpse of someone running out of the door without bothering to close it.

 

Recognition immediately dawned on me. I didn't need to see the person's face to know that, that was definitely Ariel. But I suddenly became confused. Why did she run away? Why was she even in here in the first place? She should be sleeping. She was obviously bothered by something, and I needed to know what that something was. That was when I realize the slight pressure on my arms and chest. Looking down to examine my body, I instantly felt my heart sink to my stomach as guilt began to spread within me.

 

I didn't know why I ended up hugging Annabelle in my sleep or even why she was snuggling close to my chest. But it meant absolutely nothing to me, and I needed Ariel to know that. She can't misunderstand; she needs to know that I will remain faithful to her no matter what. And with that thought, I kicked the comforter off of me and slipped on my shoes before dashing out of the door myself.

 

 

Narrator's POV

 

 

Her mind was racing while she stared at the dagger in her hands. Is this really the end? Am I ready? Can I let go? A shiver ran down her spine as she felt the sharpness of the weapon. Just one pierce... That's all it takes. She gulped down the lump in . To say she was nervous would be a huge understatement; she was terrified just having to hold the weapon in her hands. She was so engrossed in her thoughts that she didn't hear the footsteps approaching her from behind.

 

"Ariel!" A voice exclaimed with much urgency. "Ariel, what are you doing?!"

Startled by the sudden voice, she accidentally drops the weapon on the floor while whipping her head around. "Kyungsoo," she whispered. Her eyes widened as she stood rooted to her spot. She couldn't believe he was actually standing before her at that instant.

 

Silenced soon fell between the two. Confusion and questions clouded both of their minds. The two stood on the deck of the ship staring at each other. Kyungsoo was getting more and more befuddled by the second; he didn't have the slightest idea as to why Ariel was holding onto a sword a few minutes ago. Was she going to commit suicide? Was it because of me? Was it because she saw my arms around Annabelle? All these questions were killing him, so he decided to speak first.

 

"Please don't misunderstand," he began. "Nothing happened between me and Annabelle. I guess I might've drank a little too mu—"

Ariel interjected before he was able to finish his sentence. "There's nothing to misunderstand, Kyungsoo."

"What?" Kyungsoo was even more confused now then he was before.

Ariel casted her gaze to the sword lying in front of her feet. "It's nothing," she replied softly while shaking her head.

He started getting pissed off by how calm she appeared to be at the moment. "What do you mean it's nothing?!"

 

Ariel could feel her heart accelerate its pace. But she tried to keep her composure. He can't know. "Just forget about it, and go back to sleep, okay?"

Kyungsoo couldn't believe what he had heard. Did she just tell me to forget about it? "How can I just forget about it?! You were holding onto a sword before I came out here!"

She winced at his words, and remained silent.

"I care about you, Ariel. Don't push me away," he spoke gentler this time.

 

Please don't do this, Kyungsoo; you're making it harder for me to let you go. Her voice cracked a little as she spoke, "I beg of you, please just let me do this." It's time. Ariel bent down to pick up the sword, but a hand grasped onto her arm and hauled her back up. She looked up to find Kyungsoo furrowing his eyebrows at her.

"Killing yourself is not the answer," Kyungsoo said in a stern voice as he tightened his hold around her arm.

Ariel was becoming anxious and her breathing turned heavy. "You don't understand. Kyungsoo, I must!"

"If I don't understand, then make me understand! I want to help but you need to talk to me, explain to me." He sighed. "What is this all about anyway?"

 

Ariel could feel the hot tears forming in her eyes now. Taking a deep breath, she attempted to change the subject. "Thank you, Kyungsoo. Thank you for being my first love. Thank you for being my reason to want to live." A small smile played on her lips.

"Why are you thanking me? No, I'm not letting you go like this." Kyungsoo began to feel nervous at the thought of losing her.

But she ignored him and continued to say what she wanted to tell him. "Thank you for teaching me how to be human." Seeing the puzzled look on his face, she decided to let him in on your secret. "I'm sorry for keeping this from you, but I'm not human. I'm...a mermaid."

"M-me-mermaid?"

"Yes, a mermaid. That's how I was able to save you that night your ship wrecked."

Kyungsoo blinked a couple of times before openning his mouth to speak again. "S-so what if you're a mermaid? That doesn't change the way I feel about you." He swallowed before moving his hand down her arm. "I don't care if you're human or not. You're who you are, and I lik— no." He stopped to interlace his fingers with Ariel's. "I love you," he said as he bore his eyes into hers.

 

Ariel felt her heart swell and the corners of threatened to curve upwards. She never experienced as much happiness as she was right now. It amazed her how much three simple words could make her so elated. But the warm and fuzzy feeling in her stomach left as quickly as it came. I love you too. She so desperately wanted to say, but something was holding her back. Ariel then sniffled and tried to blink back her tears. "Can't you see that we're from two different worlds? I'm a mermaid, and you're a human; we were never destined to be together in the first place."

 

Not liking where this conversation was going, Kyungsoo began to plead. "Don't say that. We can get through this together. Please just stay with me; I need you."

"You don't get it, Kyungsoo."

"No, you're the one who doesn't get it! I can't picture living my life without you."

Ariel didn't know what to say. The longer this conversation went on, the more she wanted to remain by his side. Why did it have to be this way?

 

A brief silenced ensued. Ariel kept her gaze on the floorboards, afriad to lock eyes with the prince. While the prince intently observed her while tightening his hold on her hands, too scared that he'd lose her if he'd ever let go. A gentle breeze blew past, and he watched how her hair elegently flowed with the wind patterns. All he could think about was how effortlessly beautiful she was.

 

"Kyungsoo." Ariel paused while collecting her thoughts. "You taught me how to laugh... You taught me how to cry... But now can you teach me how to say goodbye?"

Her voice was barely above a whisper, but the prince heard every word loud and clear. "Why do you want to say goodbye? I won't allow you to say goodbye," he said while shaking his head.

 

Unable to keep up her act, Ariel fell to the floor and began crying into her hands; she couldn't hold it in any longer. Kyungsoo soon kneeled down in front of her. He slowly pried her hands away from her face. "Baby, don't cry," he softly spoke as he used the pad of his thumbs to wipe away the stained tears on her cheeks.

 

"Look, you don't need to worry about Annabelle; I only have eyes for you. In a few months when I officially become King, I can divorce her, and we can get marri—"

"Only one of us can live," she blurted out. "A friend of mine made a deal with a very powerful creature of the sea, a deal that could turn me back into a mermaid."

"What," he breathed.

"Our relationship wasn't going to work, Kyungsoo. Plus, my family and friends wanted me to return home

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter