The Best Friend

Come Back, Don't Go

 

---

 

You quickly went home after you decided you were okay. You took the bus going home. It wasn’t really unusual for you to be in buses since that has always been your way of transportation when you were in Europe. Your mom wanted you to have your personal driver but you insisted on public transportation. That way you can go wherever you want to.

You let your hand and eyes be inspected in the front gate and walked a long path towards your door, when it opened. You hurriedly went upstairs to your room not even noticing your mother watching tv on the living room. The feeling was mutual. You locked your door and threw your bag somewhere.

You went straight to the shower and turned it on without taking your clothes off. You just let yourself get wet under the cold drops of water. That is always how you cope up with things. And if someone wouldn’t take you out of it, you’d stay there forever, not caring even though your hands and feet are wrinkling already. Minutes later, you find yourself sitting on the tiled floor, you were crying. Like the rain, no one will know you’re crying when you’re in it.

 

Hana, on the contrary just got off the bus and ran her way to your house. Like you, she had her hand and eyes inspected. It was a good thing she could go in and out of your house easily.

“Ahjumma! Ahjumma! Where’s Jae Min?!” shouted Hana as she got in your house.

“She is not here dear.” Said Mrs. Cho as she stood up from the sleek cushioned couch.

“No! She left before me. She must be here!” Hana was already panicking.

“Calm down Hana. Let’s check her room.” And they both went upstairs as fast as possible. They found your door locked so the maids had to hurry back down and get the spare keys by the kitchen. When they finally opened your door, you already have been under the shower for more than 30 minutes.

Hana searched for you in the room and heard the soft noise of the dripping waters so she quickly opened the shower room. She found you drenched wet with your clothes on, your hands and feet visibly wrinkling and your lips pursed and pale.

“Oh my god Jae Min!” Hana shouted and swiftly opened the glass doors of your shower and turned it off. Your mom quickly took 3 folds of thick towels on your open cabinet and covered it around yourself. Still, you were staring blankly at nowhere specific. Your mom took you by your shoulders and helped you stand up and made you sit down on one of your bean bags.

“What happened?” your mom asked you.

“I don’t think she’s in the right mind to answer you, ahjumma.” Said Hana.

“Did anything wrong happen at school?”

“It’s more like someone…” Hana trailed off.

“Then who’s that--”

“Mom, it’s okay. No one hurt me physically. I’ll just go change. Leave my room.” You coldly said and went to change as they all went out. No one messes up with you especially when you’re being like this. Well, unless they want to be injured and all.

 

You quickly changed on to casual clothes, the ones you wear whenever you’re going to stay at JR’s studio wherein this case you will be. You wore your grey stretchable pants and light blue sleeves covered with your white hoodie, and your silver keds shoes. Your hands were still wrinkled but you just can’t stay in your room anymore. You might have the urge to actually do it again if you do.

You took your duffel bag with you and headed downstairs.

“Where are you going?” Asked your mom as she stood up from the couch.

“Studio.”

“Just remember your curfew yah..” your mom said and went to the kitchen.

 

You walked straight outside until you reached the gate when suddenly you found Hana catching up with you. You just let her tag along. After some minutes you reached the building JR owns but stopped when you saw two guys walk out of the door.

“Waa! Minhyun and Ren oppa!” shouted Hana and ran towards them. They were friends of JR that also stay in the studio most of the time. You were also close with them but right now, you just don’t want to talk to anyone.

“Oh. You came back already?” asked Minhyun.

“Yea, we’ve been here for a week now.”

“Where’s our souvenirs? I heard you stayed at Europe.” Said Ren with a knowing smile.

“I left it at home oppa! I’ll give it to you next time.”

“I was just kidding hey.”

They were busy talking and you just stood somewhere not far. Someone suddenly covered your mouth and your eyes. You couldn’t scream. You can’t even move by the way this guy holds you. Damn, I was caught off guard. The next thing you know, you were sitting inside a moving car and there were a lot of people around you. If this is some kidnap-for-ransom kind of , I swear I’d ask more allowance from dad. You thought. At least, they didn’t poison you to sleep.

“We should be going now Hana. We still need to catch up with projects.” Hana just nodded. Both of them were actually models. Yours and Hana’s social life was always the best.

“Wait, isn’t Jae Min with you just now?” asked Minhyun.

“Yea, she’s standing behind…” she turned around but didn’t see you. “She’s probably inside already. Goodbye oppas!” Hana waved at them and entered the building. She quickly went to the counter where JR is reading comic books. She poked him to look up.

“What studio did Jae Min get?” Hana asked but JR just looked at her agonizingly.

“Yah wake up. Jae Min never got inside here today.”

“Really? Where could she be then?”

“Everywhere.” JR said and he went back to reading. Hana had no choice but to start finding you… everywhere.

 

---

 

About 10 minutes later, the car stopped and two people were holding both your hands leading you to somewhere. They made you sit down on a bean bag and let you wait there for awhile. You can hear Super Junior’s song Spy blasting from your left. If they really are kidnappers, they are probably the coolest ones ever. You thought.

“Yah!” someone shouted and all you can hear after are blurry whispers as the song dies out.

Someone untied the gag around your mouth and you blurted out things.

“Hey could you play SuJu’s song again? It’s kinda boring around here.” You weren’t really that scared anyway. You know that if anything happens to you, your dad’s own private guards will be to the rescue in no time. They actually played it again. Someone’s an Elf here.

“Are we really just gonna sit here? I’m getting sleep--” and another one took your eye covers as well. And your jaw dropped as you saw who were in front of you.

“Hi Jae Min!” smiled… Suho. You opened your mouth to say something but you closed it quickly because nothing came out.

“You’re wondering why you’re here right?” asked Xiumin. You just nodded.

“And probably where you are?” said Kai.

“Any other questions?” asked Chanyeol whom you gathered the one who just played SuJu songs.

“Are you an Elf?” You swear, almost all of them face palmed on that one. But that is a question! You thought. But he nodded anyway.

“Where am I?”

“This is our hang-out place. Exoplanet.” Luhan said from the corner. You can see that he’s with Sehun playing Rubik’s cube. You can also see Lay and Chen sitting on two other bean bags drinking cola. The sleepy one’s actually sleeping by the counter and D.O was eyeing you suspiciously. One tall guy was facing his back on you and you’re just a bit relieved that Kris is not around. You kind of figured out that they are some group at school earlier.

“Why am I here again?”

“We just want to ask some questions.” D.O said, still almost glaring at you. Or maybe it’s just his eyes.

“Yah noona, don’t you really know us?” asked Sehun as he ran and sat in front of you.

“No.” and he seemed about to cry, “Who are you…” You trailed off. You do not want to see a guy crying.

“We are EXO!” he shrieked. Oh no, I did not just made a guy cry. Luhan quickly stood up and took Sehun to another part of the 'Exoplanet'. Now you doubt you’d even forget their name. EXO.

“Er… okay.” You were speechless.

“Don’t worry. Our maknae’s always like that.” Suho smiled apologetically.

“Why don’t you know us? We are very popular around Seoul, even outside.” Said Xiumin and Kai nodded to agree. Conceited jerks.

“I just came back. Besides, I’m pretty sure your group was just an idea before I left. It’s almost three years now.” You said annoyed as hell. Clearly you didn’t like how some of them talk on you.

“That makes sense. You want some drink?” said Chen and handed you a cola. You gladly accepted it. He’s one of the good guys here anyway.

“I should leave. I’m sure Hana’s going crazy right now.”

“Why?!” asked Kai. He seemed interested.

“You ‘kidnapped’ me, remember?” You said, almost wanting to say ‘Duh.’

“Sure you can. Sorry for the whole kidnap thing--” said Suho.

“Wait! Let her meet Duizhang at least!” shouted Lay. Duizhang?

“Yea.. he’s our leader. I’m… well… the leader when he’s not around.” Said Suho.

“Yah Kris! Come out for awhile!” D.O said by the kitchen of the 'Exoplanet'.

“K-Kris?” You asked wanting to walk out again. Kris, on the other hand knew you were around. He just excused himself to stay in the kitchen. He was scared you’d run away from him again. He won’t take it.

Seconds after, you find yourself staring at each other again as he was being pushed lightly by Xiumin. Your heartbeat was going crazy.

“Oh Jae Min… why is your hand all wrinkled?” asked Chanyeol randomly as he was about to push you towards Kris too. With what he said, Kris’ eyes actually got wide, full with concern.

He quickly walked towards you and crushed you with a big hug. You were too shocked to hug back. It’s been almost 3 years since you last felt what it was like to be hugged by him. Even so, his embrace feels welcoming and familiar. It’s like it was just yesterday since you saw each other. Everyone else, like earlier, was shocked.

“I told you not to do that.” He whispered by your hair. He was too tall.

“I couldn’t stop myself.” You whispered back. He’s scent… you missed that a lot.

 

“Er… guys?” That was the time you broke away. Then the atmosphere got a little awkward for your liking. You actually forgot you weren’t alone for some time there.

“What is your relationship with each other?” Chanyeol asked.

“He… Kris was… my best friend.”

“Was?” asked Lay.

“Well it’s kind of h--”

“She is… now. We’re best friends again.” Said Kris and smiled shyly and looked down and wrapped his arms by your shoulders. You missed that a lot too.

 

 

Best friends huh. And he just shrugged and went to the kitchen.