The Backyard

Come Back, Don't Go

Hi guys, sorry for the late update. I was really busy with schoolworks. Anyway... ^^

---

 

“Yah! You were cheating! You kicked Luhan’s leg!” Hana shouts as she tries to compose herself back together. She practically fell from Luhan’s shoulders and splashed hard by the waters.

“There are no rules here, Hana.” Baekhyun says, chin up like a . He’s still rested on Chanyeol’s shoulder with arms crossed over his chest.

“He didn’t even argue. It’s totally acceptable.” Chanyeol grins as if he’s some innocent kid.

“I’m so done with you guys.” Hana says in defeat with both hands in the air and starts to swim back to the edge of the pool. Apparently, she wants to change to party clothes now. She swiftly pulls herself up and walks towards the benches. She takes her towel hanging loosely on one armchair and wraps herself around it. The night is getting cold and she didn’t want to be sick.

“Who’ll replace Hana then?” Lay asks by the corner.

“I will! I will hyung!” Sehun beams as Luhan nods. He quickly places himself on Luhan’s shoulder and they begin to play again. Their laughter filling in the emptiness of the place. You always think that these guys were deprived of happiness and fun when they were still kids. Some still act so immature, but cute.

 

Hana hurries herself to go upstairs and change when she passes by your room with the door slightly ajar. She sees you and Kris talking so she just shrugs. She didn’t even know you already arrived. It was obviously because of the guys though.

She had a lot of fun preparing the house the whole day especially because Kai and Luhan were always around to help her on tasks. She’s still as clueless a bird of their feelings for her so she wasn’t really uncomfortable with them. They, on the other hand, are trying their best efforts to make her notice. They always end up failing. Everyone’s waiting for the day Hana eventually gets things.

 

When Hana finished changing clothes and pass by your room, Kris already left. You are now all alone half lying on your bed. She goes in your room after seeing you.

“How are you doing now?” She asks as she sits a little beside you.

“There’s still some throbbing pain, but it’s better than staying there.” You mumble.

“Oh, right. Have you eaten already? The food downstairs is world class! D.O. cooks so well!” She beams trying to cheer you up. A small smile etches on your lips from her attempt. Unfortunately, you can’t be happy from what Kris just told you.

“Maybe later…”

“No! We have to go down there now! The food is limited, you know.” Shikshin.

“I’m really not that hungry--”

“Yes you are! Now let’s go!” You had no choice but to stand up since she was tugging you way too hard it hurt your wrist. She has no bad intentions so you just went with her until you reach the dining area where a buffet is set.

You feel hunger the moment you actually see all the food lined up. It’s mostly finger foods so you take one of each kind you think are good ones. Turning left, you see Hana biting in a large piece of the strawberry cake. You only shake your head for that. She seems even hungrier than you are.

After placing all the food you wanted to eat on the plate, you and Hana sit on the dining’s cocktail circular chairs by the corner. Hana goes down to get something to drink. She goes back minutes later with four cans of soda.

“Why four?” You wonder.

“Two for each. You know that’s not enough.” She gives a knowing smile and continues eating the fish fillet. You ate in silence until she started a conversation.

“Why Tao?” She asks and you almost choke on your butter chewies. Does she know?

“What do you mean—how..?” You are confused.

“I mean, it could have been Kris…”

“What?! About that too?” You almost stand up from your seat.

“What?”

“What…” so it’s not that.

“Anyway, did your parents ask him to take care of you earlier too? It’s just weird how he’s the one who stayed behind. Kris would have been appropriate. ” Oh, so she was talking about that. You were terrified thinking she already knew about Tao being your fiancé. Now that she still doesn’t, you feel guiltier. Now’s probably not the right time to confess to her that either. “Or perhaps you got close over a week…? Is something going on between you two? You--”

“What? No--”

“Nah, you denied it once. Tell me the truth, are you and Tao together?”

“No!” You wail out so defensively. It’s a good thing Hana is a slowpoke.

“Yah, I’ll find out even if you won’t tell me.” She grins widely. She is obviously just joking, but it’s double meaning for you so it gives you the unwanted shivers.

“Maybe… Maybe he just feels responsible for my collapsing so he’s there instead.”

“Whatever your reasons are… I still believe there’s something.” She sticks her tongue out and eats the remaining food on her plate. She then opens her second can of soda. You’re making me feel uneasy.

 

“Yah! We’re playing Blue Marble! Who’s joining?” Chanyeol beams as his head peeks in the dining area. You and Hana are done eating by this time and she looks so eager to join the game, so you follow Chanyeol out.

They are preparing the board game on the floor just a little beside the pool. At least in here, no one would try and disturb. Since Chanyeol and Baekhyun are here too, no one is attending on the visitors except for Tao who’s been talking with his friends for hours and Kris who just entered the party area. He says he needs to talk with Tao for certain matters.

Hana joins the boys spread out by the lawn as you sit on the other resting vintage chair opposite of Suho, meters away from them. You are holding your second soda with you while Suho is eating on his strawberry ice cream. You aren’t talking, but you feel like you have to. You still stayed in silence though.

 

“Since there are 8 of us playing, the last to reach the end will have a consequence, okay?” Xiumin suggests as the confident ones agree. Especially Chanyeol. -.-

“And what would the suffering be?” Asks Chen nonchalantly as he plays with his game piece.

“Wow, suffering really?” Snides Kai.

“Well technically it is. A painless consequence is boring after all.” Sehun points out.

“Sehun is right--” Baekhyun adds up but Luhan cuts him off. “But Hana’s joining the game. She’s a girl.” He somewhat pleads. Hana doesn’t quite care if her ego’s being brushed off right now because practically she’s scared of whatever the consequence might be. Sehun sounds so serious when he talked earlier.

“Yeah, can’t you at least make the consequence funny instead?” Hana implies.

“Don’t worry, Hana. I’m sure you won’t be last on this game.” Lay cheers Hana up though he isn’t even playing himself.

“You think so?”

“We know so.” D.O. answers with an unusual grin, a smile you don’t see often. Hana has a feeling that someone’s probably such a loser on this game, but she’s not sure who.

 

“Yah, you moved my piece!” “I did not!” “No one was looking--” “Yah too loud!”

It has been half an hour since they started the game and all they have been doing is to bicker and yell at each other. The one always starting everything is no other than Chanyeol. Chen would always make him shut up. Aparently, Xiumin is leading with Chen closely behind while Kai hasn’t even reached the next row. Hana’s just on the safe zone.

You already threw your can away while Suho’s slicing on his ice cream cake. You can hear all their whining and it’s getting annoying every time.

“They’re such kids.” Suho comments.

“They… you mean Chanyeol.” You answer.

“We’re all kids in our own ways Jae Min…”

“Hah! Beat that! I’m now advancing from you Luhan!” Hana screams almost wanting to jump for joy.

“Aish, I’m losing…” Luhan acts and smiles inwardly.

“See Hana? She’s having way too much fun she can’t even notice Luhan’s purposely failing for her to catch up… well, never mind Kai since he really loses there every time.” Suho explains.

“She’s always oblivious on things. Except when it’s about Myungsoo.” You add. It turns out you’re not the only one who notices Luhan and Kai’s intentions. Suho also knows about their feelings for her.

“Hana’s the kind to not realize things quickly.” He says and pauses. He asks after, “Does she know yet?”

“No… but she was joking about it earlier. Though I’m sure she knows nothing.” You sigh as you feel the same pang of guilt all over again. She needs to know ASAP. You know it will break her if you keep it hidden from her. You just don’t know how to clarify it to her.

“Hey Chanyeol cheated!” Shouts Baekhyun as he roughly pushes him by the shoulder causing Chanyeol to wobble and fall down. Stupid.

“Idiot.” Kai murmurs as he shakes his head.

“How are you and Tao?” He randomly asks. You are caught off guard with that. It went out of your mind that he already knows. You just boil it down seconds after.

“We’re okay… well actually we just got okay…” You say as you bend your head down low. You hear him chuckle after.

“You know, you and Tao are like the weather. Sometimes, you’re good and talking and suddenly you go dark, avoiding each other and not speaking a word at all. You change status like the mysterious weather. I understand it now… It must have been hard for you.” He says as he looks up the night sky, and then at you.

“It’s hard even now. I still don’t understand him at all.” You sigh in tiredness and desperation.

“You’ll have all the years for that.” He stretches his arms out as he smiles at you.

“Oh please no. I’m actually trying to find a way out of it until now. It’s been two months of failure.”

“But why? Tao’s a nice person. He is caring deep inside even with the scary and intimidating exterior figure. I’ve known him for years. You’re lucky he’s yours.” She’s lucky his heart is hers.

“I’m not quite sure about that…” You mumble gloomily and look back at the kids playing the board game to cheer yourself up, even though you know pretty well it won’t work. Diverting yourself on other things, escaping reality always just backfires on you. You never seem to learn.

 

It’s past 9 o’clock yet you still haven’t mingled around with guests outside. You’re still sitting on the vintage chair with Suho, and they’re still lost in their board game. It’s oddly amazing how these guys throw parties whenever even though they don’t go around and enjoy the party themselves. For you, they seem to be just wasting their money. Even so, at least they’re making other people happy.

“One more move. One more move. One more move.” Xiumin loudly whispers repetitively that even you can hear it. Probably he’s close to winning.

“Will you shut it, Minseok? One bad move and you lose, you know.” Chen sharply interrupts Xiumin’s almost ritual. Others laugh at them.

“It’s Hana’s turn now.” Luhan says as Hana shakes the dice in her closed palms. She has her eyes closed as she lets go and rolls the dice. She still kept her eyes closed even when the dice already stood still.

“Er… that would be 12 right…” Chanyeol slowly counts.

“Oh my god! You won Hana! You reached the end first!” Baekhyun shrieks that people would have thought he was a girl. Others clap their hands together and some taps Hana by her shoulder. Apparently, she had just opened her eyes. She’s slowly taking all the information in.

“I… won…?” She asks meekly, not quite believing what they’re saying until she sees the dice herself.

“Yes, you did Hana. Told you you won’t be last.” Lay remarks, almost high and proud.

“Wow, I did not expect that happening.” Kai comments on himself. Like what D.O predicted, he is last on the rank. D.O. chuckles as he sees Kai’s disappointment.

“Did I really win…?” Hana asks herself in disbelief. She was so sure Xiumin would win the game but what such luck she has and even advanced on him. Luhan looks around and eyes the other guys, Chen, Xiumin and Chanyeol, almost planning something rather uneventful. The other three nods in agreement and they start their blissful revenge.

Suddenly all four of them gets hold of Hana’s arms and legs with Luhan especially holding her arm. They are swinging her carefully from side to side, preparing to throw her by the pool. Hana is screaming so loud of fear and excitement. She did not expect this to happen. Everyone else is singing her congratulations, with laughter filling the place.

“Hana… dul… se!” They all count down and let go of Hana as the counting reaches three. Splashing of water comes after. Everyone near the end line of the pool practically gets wet from the big splash. It is fun. Everyone joins in to the pool after.

Hana reveals herself seconds later gasping for air. She gently her face downward clearing her face and vision from water. For her, it was the best feeling ever. She kind of wants to do it again, but it renders useless since she did not want to disturb the guys from having fun. She forgets she is actually dressed with her party clothes on. She swims fast towards the corner but Luhan stops her.

“Oh, leaving so soon?” He starts.

“I’m just changing back to swimming clothes…”

“That’s okay. You’d just waste time changing. You don’t really want to leave right?” He almost sounds pitiful. Almost.

“Well… but I…” she sighs, “I guess it won’t hurt staying.” She smiles as he smiles back. You can almost see sparks flying all over the two of them but Hana’s too indifferent to notice that… or to notice anything for the matter.

Luhan holds Hana by the wrist as he pulls her towards everyone else. They would play pool games now and then but they’d end up splashing each other with water. Luhan always tries to hit Hana for attention. Hana would splatter him back too, but it was mostly just for revenge. Just a little more and maybe… just maybe… her heart would start to open up. Luhan thoughtfully wonders as he stares at Hana laughing, splashing water among others. Kai, on the other hand, did not join all the fun. Instead, he just sits on one of the vintage chairs Lay and D.O. was sitting at earlier. He feels this unwanted pain on his chest every time he lays his eyes on her, smiling at Luhan.

 

It is close to midnight when you decided to go back inside. It was getting misty outside after all. They still are playing in the pool, and you wonder how they manage to tolerate the coldness of the water. You couldn’t care much though. You enter the living room and all you see are bits of the pieces of the party. Most people left already and everyone else who stayed behind starts to get going. You find yourself standing in the middle of the room. You wait until the last visitor goes out and sees Tao finally closing the main door. He freezes when he sees you just standing there. You’re eyes aren’t giving out anything. He didn’t understand why you are where you are, but he feels the weird twitching of his stomach and he’s getting deep breaths, as if he’s afraid of something. Practically he is. He is in fear of something he didn’t know. That would probably be the worst of all.

“The food was delicious right?” You ask. You don’t even know why you just blurted that out.

“Yeah it was--” and as if on cue, he gets what you were trying to shoot at him. “I’m sorry. I got caught up with fr--”

“Friends. I know.” You cut him off. You smile bitterly in the process. You are half wanting to slap yourself for whatever you are trying to do. You are thinking hardly inside your mind, staring blankly at one point. You are trying to beat off anger and jealousy. You hate how you’re feeling like this.

He slowly steps forward each second, closer to you. He continues to tackle each step until he’s in front of you. Realizing he’s actually now in front of you, you end your deep thoughts and snap back to reality. He is about to say something when your body moved on its own, and fast.

You find yourself stepping upward as you close your eyes. You sense the tender lips brushing yours. You are kissing him. You feel your heart shiver as you get in contact with those perfectly curved lips. He kisses you back seconds after he realized what you did. His right hand encircling your waist while his left hand makes its way up to your nape. Your arms then goes up to his shoulder and wrap themselves around his neck. He pulls you close as he deepens the kiss. It is your first real kiss with him, and it feels wonderful.

Then you stop.

You immediately pull away from the kiss you initiated, pushing him off a little, controlling yourself from the urge to kiss him again. You remind yourself that it’s wrong. After all, it was supposed to be just a chaste goodnight kiss. You don’t know why you didn’t pull away right after. You don’t know why it took longer than it should be. Even so, you didn’t regret it.

“I… uhh…” you start to feel the awkwardness now as you massage your nape, looking straight down on the floor.

“I don’t know why--”“It was really supposed to--” you both say together, and chuckle a bit after.

When you’ve regained yourself, you take two steps back this time looking at his expectant eyes. “Anyway, good night.” You say and try to smile normally but failed. You quickly turn around and walk faster than usual, not even making him say good night back. You are turning to your right to walk upstairs when you stopped and remain frozen.

 

“Jae Min?” … no.