The Saturday

Come Back, Don't Go

 

---

You wake up from the smell of burnt toasts and appetizing eggs. Though wanting to sleep hours more, you jolt up from the bed and walk out towards the kitchen. The smell makes you hungry that you want to eat immediately. You walk towards the countertop and sit on one of the three sleek and slender, circular glass chairs piled up in front of it.

You rub your eyes to clear your slightly blurry vision and raise your eyebrow up upon seeing Tao putting up finishing touches to the breakfast. It got out of your mind, you know. You’re used to eating take-outs and orders that real food seems out of the picture most of the time.

“You know I don’t’ cook so this is the best I got.” He talks before you could even mock him with the food he’s cooking. Apparently, he’s mixing the eggs with the rice to make fried rice or something.

“Could’ve been chicken or …” You deadpan.

He scoffs and counters. “Well I don’t want the house burning up.”

“You should’ve just ordered something then.”

“I wanted to make breakfast is that so hard for you to understand?” He almost whines. You can’t help but grin widely at the sight. You like it most when he shows his cute side on you. It’s… cute.

“Yes.” You answer that he throws a broken egg shell towards you. Your reflexes aren’t working so well right now that you just woke up so you got hit square in the face. Not mad at all, you still stride towards him and try to throw back to his face the pieces of the shell he once threw.  Deciding it would be useless, you just mess up his already ruffled hair. You’re pretty sure he likes that anyway.

You happily eat the food Tao cooked after and never felt so relieved that it’s finally real food you’re eating. You didn’t want to wash the dishes so you manage to trick Tao into playing rock, paper and scissors with you so you would win and be free from the chore. And you did win. Besides, you highly doubt you’d wash them yourself if unfortunately you really have lost.

“You’re such a cheater.” Tao comments.

“Me? A cheater? Who are you trying to fool, mister?” You exaggeratingly answer with matching wide eyes. He grins and then you know he knows it’s a joke.

“This will come back to you one day.” He snidely replies.

 “You always say that.”

“Just trust me. One day.” He says as he nods his head for emphasis.

You roll eyes and decide to go sit in the living room’s cushion and watch a movie. Tao went sitting beside you minutes later and you watched it together. It was an English movie so you don’t even want to know if Tao indeed understands everything that’s being happening. He occasionally asks a question or two and you can’t help but laugh at his inquiries sometimes. You almost pity him for not being that good in English. But then again, you’re happier he doesn’t. It’s nice to fool him around once in a while.

 

It’s Saturday today and like he promised yesterday, you’re going to the park. Taking your time, you fix yourself and choose out a cream wavy day dress from your set of clothes. You slide your feet in a pair of cream doll shoes after. Your hair is still a bit cold from the shower that you just let it flow down your back. College life is so busy that Tao and you seldom have time for these things. You’re glad he asked you out first.

After you finish setting yourself up, you immediately skip towards the living room where he was already at. You flash a grin at him while he just shakes his head. Apparently, it took you longer than usual to prepare yourself. You don’t regret anything though.

He leads you in towards his shiny, jet-black car and you both travel towards the park he keeps on talking earlier. When you do arrive in the place, you can’t help but get your jaw dropped from the beauty of it. It’s a park indeed, but you were expecting something simpler than this. It leveled even above your expectation which is always high.

Kidding aside, you are in Lotte World. You know you are exaggerating a bit but you’ve always loved going here and it’s been so long that you just want to skip around and recollect memories. You will have to remember to go on the Gyro Drop before everything else. It’s the one ride you love the most.

So you do.

The staff tightly fastens your body belt and gives a thumb up to mean that you’re okay to go. It took you a while to persuade Tao to ride this one but he can’t even do anything about it. It’s not even that he’s afraid of heights at all. It’s rather because of the long waiting line. But you had your way around – the perks of having connections – and got in the ride in no time.

You aren’t scared, but it is sweet of him to hold your hands throughout the whole ride. You’re stressed with your dreams that you find this an outlet to shout all your heart out. Even after thinking this funny, he shouts with you too.

You finish the session with messy hair and sore throats. Still, you skid along towards the cotton candy stall. You take the blue one while Tao buys ice cream. You walk around the whole park and even watch puppet shows and mimes. It is all just fun.

But you were tired of walking.

“Already? It’s been just hours.” He slyly replies.

“Just hours! We’ve been walking and running for five hours now!” You hysterically counter with your hands raised up.

He just grins and bends his knees with his back on you. He turns his head towards you and tilts his head for you to do something… something you don’t exactly consider doing at all. People around here recognize you and you just don’t want your face to be in the front page of the newspaper.

“I know what you’re thinking but it’s already a little dark. No one will see our faces. Besides, I know how tired you must be. All you were doing was to run around here and there.”

“Yeah, yeah. Okay.” He grins and you jump on his back as he locks your knee joints by his arms. You wrap your arms around his neck careful not to choke him or the like. You’re not exactly fond of piggyback rides but he leaves you no other choices.

“Better?” He pries.

“Shut up and walk faster.” You mumble that he only chuckles to. It is already around 6 o’clock in the afternoon and you are to head home anyway.

You are walking past people that you decide to slump your head low on his shoulders. You didn’t want anyone you even know to see you two like this. It’s different when you’re in the University – people there could only care so much. Tao talks random things to keep you awake since you told him you didn’t want to sleep and just dream about that nightmare again. But your mind fails you and you’re already starting to doze off when you don’t hear him talking anymore. You only realize seconds later that he stopped walking too.

You raise your head to peek if ever anything is blocking your way but only see a bunch of people still walking and running like you did. “Is something wrong?”

“What- No. Nothing’s wrong. I just… I thought I saw someone.” He mutters. His voice is a little shaky but you let it pass and really come to rest shutting everything out and just dreaming.

You dream about flowers and rainbows and white horses… when that world suddenly breaks into pieces and you feel yourself being shaken. You open your eyes and look back into a pair of sleepy ones.

“Did I disturb your sleep?” He asks. He must be too sleepy to even filter what he’s going to say. Isn’t it that obvious enough?

“What?”

“We haven’t eaten dinner yet. And delivery’s here.” He says.

You yawn. “Could you just bring my food here? I’m tired.” He nods and turns on the lights before going out of the door. After adjusting your eyes with the lights, you decide to just turn on your laptop to search for possible gossips made of you. It’s silly, but you’ve got nothing else to do.

 

You didn’t find anything, as your box of food lays out of place on your table. The time is 10pm now, as your desk clock says. You are randomly surfing on the web when a call suddenly flashes on your screen. It’s weird for them to call right this moment but you answer anyway. You’re in your room so Tao wouldn’t hear anything from his room. You still like being private about them to him. You don’t even remember if he does know them… or probably it just passed your head.

Their faces appear on your screen and you shake your head with the weird and funny faces they’re currently giving. “What is it now?” You ask acting not at all interested.

Aw, Jamie. Don’t you want to talk to us anymore?” Nana replies with a sad face.

She’s just acting, you know.” Raina mutters receiving a knock in the head from Lizzy. It’s been so many years and they are all still the same. You can’t help but give out a chuckle.

We know that smartass.” Lizzy counters as she eats a mouthful of chicken. You try to remember that they’re in London and probably are having their lunch by now.

“But really, why did you call?” You ask again.

Do you remember Jaebin?” Nana inquires in a question.

“Of course.” You answer glumly. A flash of memories back in high school enters your head.

I told you she didn’t need to know.” Raina whispers that you hear.

“No, it’s okay. What about her?” You smile. Things have changed for the better.

We saw her for a couple of times now… We just thought it wouldn’t be something we needed telling you to. We know that you’re doing well there now in college… with Tao.

But we talked to her once. And we’re really good friends now. And I will never forget her telling us that she was so sure she just wants to stay here in Europe.

“And why should I know this?” You ask as a yawn escapes your mouth. You don’t understand.

She left us a note yesterday that we only saw just now.” Lizzy mumbles with food on . She’s the only one eating there actually.

It says that she was sorry to leave us without saying farewells because she has grown accustomed to us too. That she’ll miss us and… but that’s not the point.” Nana disrupts her own self, already becoming teary. She’s always too clingy with people close to her. You remember her crying so bad when you and Hana left them before.

The thing is that it was so sudden we never saw it coming.” Lizzy continues.

It was almost as if she also didn’t know… but that’s just my own interpretation of it.” Raina explains. “She’s leaving for Korea first thing in the evening. That’s what the note says. So she probably has arrived there already.” Your heart is beating so fast you don’t even know why. Why?

We care about you so much Jamie. And we only want you to be happy. And we’ve come to know Jaebin as a sweet angel and nothing else that we’re guilty of even thinking about this.” Nana softly speaks. “Just be careful, okay? We don’t really know why she’s back there but… just in case.

“I understand. Don’t worry, it’s been four years. I’m sure Tao has gotten over her.”

We know that Jamie… it’s just that we couldn’t think of any other reasons why.

“Then don’t think about it. We’ll know when we will. It’s not our problem to face.” You answer to make them feel better. You don’t know Jaebin well but with the three talking about her being an angel, you really can’t hold any bad things about her. And you really don’t. You couldn’t even care about it at all.

They bid their goodnights and sweet dreams and your screen turns back into its wallpaper – a snowflake. You’ve always loved snowflakes. They remind you of winter nights and candles and cakes. It’s actually just weeks more until your favorite day of December. Your birthday’s coming up. You can’t wait for it.

 

---

Hello! It's been so long, I know.
But the story's getting more serious now... it's getting hard to write without missing out details. >.<
Anyway, look who's coming back! I'm sure you weren't expecting this but haha. Okay. ^^