The Surreptitious History

Come Back, Don't Go

 

---

A week has passed since you broke down in front of Tao and quite frankly life just went on. Today, you are far from the confused girl who cried so hard last week. You keep yourself busy with school works like you always do. You seldom see him at school, mostly only when he picks you up upon going home together. You don’t usually go to school with him – it’s less drama that way.

It’s the weekend and you’re finishing a plate you needed to present on Monday. Glasses, boards, paints and glues are all over your floor. Cutting tools are also everywhere. Your room is always messy when you make plates for presentations. Tao knows you need to focus so he makes sure not to disturb you.

Halfway through cutting an irregular shape from a board, a call stops you from working. You flip your phone open and answer the call without checking who the caller is.

Miss Cho you have an appointment at Frost Studio in 20. A car is on its way to pick you up.”

“Appointment? What for?” Your brows meet each other. This always happens. An event set up for you without your knowing. It usually isn’t a bothersome for you since you’re used to it. It’s only that you planned on finishing your plate today too.

A magazine Miss.

You don’t feel pretty for a magazine today either. “But—”

See you there, Miss.” And you only hear the beeping of the call’s end. The car will be here any minute now and you’re still in your night clothing. This is just so amazing.

You get up and fix yourself as fast as you can and just throw in the first clothes you could grab ahold of, which is a pair of dark jeans and a white tank top. Slipping in your black stilettos, you take your phone from the nightstand and walk out of the room. You hurriedly walk towards the front door when you see Tao comfortably sitting on the sofa watching dramas like always.

“Where are you—a photoshoot again?” He knows because of the kind of clothes you are currently wearing.

“Yes.”

“What for?”

“A magazine.” The beeping sound of a car’s honk fills your ears. “I gotta go. I’ll send you a message when I’m coming back.” You almost shout at him as you open the door.

“Okay.” He replies. You already turned your back on him when he suddenly holds your wrist twisting you back to face him. He was actually quite quick on moving to places. If he wasn’t holding you tight enough, you bet you would’ve fallen down of astonishment.

“Take care.” He says as he pulls you in and kisses you on the forehead. It’s a sweet action. You don’t know, but you slowly believe that you imagined Jaebin there all along. Maybe it was stress or your hazy mind. You don’t know and you don’t want to think about it either. Maybe you’re just pushing him away for something he didn’t even do.

The honk of a car beeps again and this time, you drag away from his hold and half-run towards the car outside. You slide in the back seat of a black limousine and thought of sorting things out when you get back home. Maybe he didn’t really deserve the cold treatment you’ve been giving him this whole week.

 

---

 

“Okay, last shot!” The photographer shouts and calls the photo shoot to an end. You breathe out and search for a chair you could rest on around the area. One of the staffs makes her way towards you holding with her a bottle of water. You are pretty tired indeed. You had changed into different styles of clothing and your eyes start to go blurry because of flashes. You’re always doing this yes, but you never seem to have gotten used to blinking lights.

Another staff approaches you when you finally sit down and drink on your water.

“Excuse me miss, but Mr. Li will be here in a couple of minutes. You’ll have to stay until then.” She talks and immediately leaves. You didn’t even get the chance to ask why you are said to stay though you get the picture of who this Mr. Li could possibly be.

He’s the son of the owner of Frost Magazine, who’s currently an apprentice for being the heir of the business. Frost Magazine is pretty good, you know. It’s the kind that one will never lose patience to. It’s a magazine that’s really fun to read despite its formalities and qualities of being a high-end magazine.

You flip your phone again and again among your fingertips as you let time drag by. This Mr. Li sure knows how to act so important. You remember you still had a project to finish. Not cool.

The busy atmosphere fills your ears as everyone goes running around over and across places. It stays like this until a certain persona appears by the door as was opened by the staff that gave you water a while ago. The man is wearing black shades to cover his eyes as his blonde hair a heck of a rumpled mess.  You gather he probably rushed from the airport to be here, or something along that line of thought.

He taps away the invisible dusts on his tuxedo and takes away the shades revealing his hypnotizing shade of brown eyes. You catch a glimpse of it and your eyes turn wide staring back at those eyes that seems to dance playfully at an inside joke only you know. Your mouth turns ajar as you run across the room to hug him. He acts clueless – almost wanting to push you away from him – but then decides to let it go and hug you back tighter instead.

“Where the have you been?!” You scream out profanities that almost only the two of you could hear while you stay hugging each other.

He pulls away first and talks. “I missed you a lot too, Jae Min.” He shakes his head half-heartedly with the way you reacted on his arrival.

“And since when were you Mr. Li?” You edge out. You weren’t sure if your eyes were just fooling you when you saw his face early on.

“It’s grandpa’s orders. I had to follow it.”

“So that was the real name you didn’t tell anyone about? Hmm… no wonder. Wu sounds better, well in my opinion that is.” You ask as you bobble your head up and down.

“I like Wu better, too. I actually miss you calling me Wu Yifan when you’re mad.” He grins and ruffles your hair. He’s back. Your Yifan’s back; hopefully for good.

 

The two of you talk about things missed for some minutes more and then decide to go somewhere else. It has gotten to the both of you that most people, if not all, are actually listening to your English conversation. They try hard to understand really but you know too well that the people who really do don’t even care.

He bids goodbye to all the workers in the building and leads the way to his car. Its sleek and shiny black car makes you roll eyes. He’s even flaunting out his richness now.

He drives your way to a familiar restaurant you always used to eat on through the years. It has become a distant memory for some reasons but your mind doesn’t fail to remind of the things that had happened here. Some are great ones; though some really had to be the ones worth throwing in the trash. You realized it’s the first time you went back here since you were exiled in London. Nothing has changed really. The fading wall paints are still fading. The waiters are still the same, though probably with more wrinkles than before. And the food – their food still tastes like heaven you can’t help but smile.

You both eat in silence until Kris starts to speak.

“Tao stopped updating me about you for two weeks now. I was so worried that I had to make arrangements to come back here.” You had so many questions in your mind but the one your about to say makes your wide smile falter. One is the fact that he’s been watching you grow from a great distance and you never knew. You just thought that he left out on you completely. You want to ask why but it leaves you be. Another question is more important to ask right now.

“Oh—you aren’t staying here for good?” You stop eating your food.

“I couldn’t. It was hard to even just reach Korea, you know. I’m really sorry.” He adds the latter when he realizes your happiness seems to have died down a bit.

“It’s okay. I just… thought you’d—well how long will you stay?” You changed the question. You can’t linger on the other one for too long. He just got back here.

“It’s not yet final but I’ve told them I’d be here until you celebrate your birthday. They let me. They know how important birthdays are, do you recall?” He smiles from a far memory.

“Oh—yes, yes.” You force out a smile he knows isn’t real.

“How are you and Tao?” He asks the real problem now.

“We’re okay.” You answer almost remotely. He sees that too.

“I just knew he had a car accident. I’m glad he’s okay.” You didn’t answer and he lets you be. He’s pretty much sure there’s something wrong now.

You didn’t want to talk about Tao. “Their pancakes here are still so good—”

He preaches you and you look up. “I won’t push you to tell me what’s wrong but please don’t act as if I’m a stranger that you need to put up walls to. It’s been three years but I’m still that Kris who accidentally hit you with a ball while you were strumming tunes with your guitar.

“I’m still that Kris who goes to that Maple Tree with you every sunset until the night is too dark we had to go home. I’m still that Kris who forces you to eat something whenever you think eating is something that is not part of our body’s daily routine. I’m still that Kris who pulls you away from the edge. I’m still that Kris who keeps you sane at times you feel like losing it.

“I’m still that Kris who stupidly asked you to be mine for a bet I desperately had to win to. I’m still that Kris who eventually fell for you that unfortunately got rejected way too easily—”

“Whoa! Hold your horses! I thought it was clear we should never talk about that ever.” You interrupt his long and dragging speech.

“I know. It makes it more dramatic, you see.” He shrugs.

“Screw you and your principles Kris.” You roll eyes.

He chuckles. “How’s my girl holding up?”

“I’m not your girl.” He chuckles lightly at that as you ponder over a faint memory that had crossed your mind.

 “I’m not your girl.” You shoot back to him.

“Then be one, even just for today?” He asks, his eyes pleading. He gives out reasons for you to say yes until it annoys you.

“Fine, fine! I just better get something out of this, Yi fan.” You grunt and Kris just tousles your hair.

It took a lot of plea and casual begging for the two of you to end up together. You only remember why he even suggested it in the first place; it was for a bet which is why you heavily disagreed at first. But you still tried and started it – to see if it’ll work out - until it lasted longer than you expected. You went to casual dates that always end up in bickers and acted like a typical couple your age. You never kissed though, that’s for sure. Besides, he is your best friend. You were long used of skinship before it was decided.

It went on for months until you broke into a big fight. You don’t recall the cause of it but you remember it starting from a small misunderstanding. It was never resolved though for your so-called father deported you to Europe. You were never able to say goodbye to him. Though there weren’t exactly feelings involved, he still was your best friend.

You were scared that maybe he’d push you away or despise you because of what you did so you immersed yourself with happy, distracting thoughts most of the time. Until you came back here in Korea. You weren’t sure of Kris’ feelings towards you and technically you still were his ‘girlfriend’. That was why you were so happy when he said not to worry because he has no plans on leaving. You talked it out and felt safer and more secured than ever. Eventually, that same day ended you officially being together. You both promised not to talk about this to other people keeping this whole relationship just among the two of you. Even Hana knows nothing of it.

Though, you casually heard news spreading about Kris having feelings over you because he had blurted it out a time or two whenever he’s drunk. He didn’t like to admit it now but he did confess to you, you see. You were stunned when it happened but since it was an unreciprocated feeling you both decided to stay as friends. It felt weird but it's also cute that you just let it pass.You about it once in a while and he always feel so wronged whenever you talk about it.

He’s a rational man you see. He goes by the rules. He never takes things for granted. You sometimes thought you felt the same but it never ended that way. It always just seemed to be a best friend love, or pity which is a whole different story. But it’s nice how he always sets his feelings aside whenever you needed someone’s shoulders to lean on. You didn’t want to brag about it but you know that in his heart it’s still you. You’re just the happiest when he chooses to still be friends with you even after the pain he has suffered from you. But sometimes, you feel awfully guilty about it too.

“I told Tao about this.” He gets back to being serious.

“And?” You nonchalantly ask but you’re dying to know how the other reacted upon this revelation.

“He told me he already knew so, when I was drunk one time. He heard it but kept it with himself. He doesn’t mind though.” Of course he wouldn’t mind.

“No, Jae Min I meant—he doesn’t mind because he knows I abide the rules. He feels threatened actually.” You barf at that. “He actually thinks that sometimes, maybe you deserve better. But I like you two together… so please tell me what’s bothering you.” Another thing about Kris, well, he’s so good with words.

“I… I don’t know where to start.”

“I suggest you start from the beginning.” He deadpans that you want to throw ice-cold water at his face.

“I’ve been putting a good distance from Tao for two weeks now. I heard that the ex is back.” You didn’t want to tell him that you saw Tao and Jaebin hugging each other in that hospital room because you still make yourself believe it’s just your imagination. But somewhere in you, you know that isn’t true.

“What? Why? Tao was so happy just that Friday—was it Friday—that you saw each other again after a busy exam week.” He doesn’t seem to believe how fast the events passed and changed.

“I heard the news the day after that Friday.” You sound so solemn that Kris is deeply worried.

“But you’re not even sure she’s back for that reason.” He reasons out but you couldn’t say anything. Your mouth opens and closes itself after some seconds.

“I’m just scared. What if he gets tired of my drama and gives up on me and goes back to her?” Your hands fly wherever.

He catches them and holds you together. “Don’t jump into conclusions, Jae Min. It never does you any good.”

“Like what it did to you?” You answer too quickly that you wished you didn’t when you see a glint of sadness pass his eyes. You want to apologize immediately but you know it’ll hurt him even more.

“Just remember that I’m always here for you. No matter what, I’ll never leave you.” He speaks his heart as he starts to stand up from his seat. Your eyes are confused for some time until he manages to bring you standing up from your seat too.

“It’s already 3 o’clock. You need to go home.” He murmurs. You didn’t want to leave him just yet but you’re mind is hazy that whatever you might say next would hit him right in the center and just pain him. You didn’t speak and just keep your mouth shut throughout the whole travel back to your house. You didn’t want to go home yet but you decided it’s the better thing to do for everyone else’s sake.

Kris is back, and I won’t know what to feel again anymore.

 

---

An update that will probably lift some of your angered spirits. Hahaha.
So here it is guys! Waaaa. The trailer is not much but I hope you like it. It's not my first time editing films but it's a first for a trailer.
Well, goodnight. ^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V71QEvj9b4