The Attempt

Come Back, Don't Go

 

---

 

It’s Friday and has been a week of Tao’s protectiveness.  It’s like you have your very own body guard since he’s almost always where you are. Some people are keen enough to observe the difference. They just don’t have the guts to ask you, it’s not their business anyway. You are sure though, that if the truth comes out, they’ll be the first ones to know. It was better than he didn’t offer to ride you to and from school. That would just mean more gossips.

You seldom see Hana at school now especially because deadlines are everywhere and she always crams on projects. It’s somehow a good thing that Kai and Luhan are around to give her food. She forgets to eat often these days. She thinks of Kai less of a jerk now but his jerkiness still comes out at times.

“Have you been told?” Tao said who came out of nowhere and sat beside you. You are in the library and not much people are in it.

“About what?” You kind of are used to it now.

“A business party tonight.”

“I’d rather die than go there.”

“You curse a lot, you know. It might come true.” He kidded.

“Wouldn’t that be awesome? I wouldn’t have to worry about… us.” You said as you looked at his eyes at the same time he was looking at you. You looked away when you said the last word.

“I’m sure they won’t let you.”

“I’m sure I don’t care.” You answered back as you went back on flipping the pages of the book.

“You’re not even reading.” He eyed you with curiosity.

“Who said I was here to read?” You rolled eyes. It’s indeed much colder here. Nice.

 

Hana was in the music room trying to finish her piece. It’s also deadline today and it’s just a good thing that most teachers are giving their time for students to do their projects. She has been rumbling on the keys for awhile and still can’t seem to find a good ending for it.

“Ugh I give up!” She raised both her hands and rested her head on the keys resulting to sound really bad.

“Having a problem?” Lay peeped in. Hana just nodded her head.

“I’m doomed.” She mumbled. Lay inspected her music sheet and nodded on how far she had reached. He approves.

“Your piece is nice… and since it’s more of a happy song… maybe you could think of your happiest memory and make something out of it.” He encouraged as Hana went back to sitting straight.

She remembered the good times with Myungsoo back when they were just kids. How she ran towards the green grass as he followed behind, and how they both played in the skating rink together and laughed their hearts out when both of them fall on their butts. How they’d play house and shoot each other with water guns after. How it seemed so perfect before that she thought it would last. And how it’s only a memory now.

She didn’t realize she was already playing the piano as she goes over the memories. Lay was taking down the notes she was playing in case she doesn’t remember any, which was quite true. She ended her piece with a soft key.

“Well… that turned out sad… but it’s really good.” He smiled and gave Hana her sheets.

“Oh you took them down! Thanks for helping me!” She beamed and gave Lay a small hug.

“It’s the least I could do to help.” He said as he rubbed his hand on the back of his neck.

“Okay, one last project and I’m done.” She mumbled.

 

---

 

It was a little after lunch when Hana decided to film her last project. She borrowed a tripod from a classmate but forgot she didn’t know how to set it up. She was in a hurry since she needs to record herself dancing on a certain beat the professor gave on each one of them. She was all alone in the little studio so she felt hopeless. I even practiced hard for this.

“Why are you sulking on the corner?” A voice boomed around the studio. I didn’t forget to lock the door, did I?

“I’m tired.” She knew well enough who the voice owns to.

“You seriously don’t know how to set up a tripod?” He commented as he went towards the weirdly set-up of the tripod. He fixed it without asking Hana. “You can film now.” He said as he sat beside her.

“Thanks… but I didn’t need your help.”

“Sure you don’t.” He said

“Just shut up and go out, Kai!” She yelled pointing at the door. She didn’t anyone around while she films, especially Kai.

“Yah… I will. Goodluck!” He said as he opened the door and winked at her before closing it. Jerk!

 

She finished filming after a thousand of retakes about an hour after and hurriedly passed the video to her professor. She was lucky she got it a minute before deadline. She was so tired that she decided to go to her favorite Milk Tea shop, the Comma Café. There weren’t a lot of students around when she entered the shop. She ordered White Taro Milk Tea and sat on a cushioned chair as she waited. Her eyes were slowly shutting down of exhaustion.

“One Taro Bubble Tea.” Her eyes quickly shut open when she heard the order. She went to the counter but didn’t find her Milk Tea there. I must be dreaming.

“Hana?!” Luhan beamed as he took his order.

“Oh it’s yours.” She just said. “One White Taro Milk--” the staff said and she hurriedly interrupted her. “Oh, that’s mine.” She said and took her Milk Tea. She walked back to her seat as Luhan followed her. They both sat on the cushioned chair in front of each other.

“You seem pretty used up.” He said as he tore a hole on the cover of the tea using the straw.

“Deadlines were killing me.” She said as she sipped on the tea.

“I didn’t expect to see you here.”

“Me neither. At least we’re here together.” She smiled.

“Yea… do you have any plans for the break?”

“I’m not sure if Jae Min’s still into it but we planned on going to the beach. You?”

“Oh. Well I’m just gonna stay at home and play soccer.”

“You must have a big backyard then.” She said as she stretched out her hand.

“Er… well you can say that.” He said as he shyly chuckled a little.

“I want to go to your house!” She suddenly beamed.

“What?”

“What?—I mean, it must be nice. I envy your backyard.” Damn.

“Well… you can go there if you like. EXO usually stays with us during break.”

“The whole break?” Her eyes were wide… so wide.

“Oh no. Just a week.” He smiled.

“A week…? Can I bring Jae Min?”

“Sure… It’s on the 2nd week of the break.” You’ll meet my parents. What? But he just smiled. He always smiles whenever Hana’s around.

“Okay, I’ll keep that in mind.” Free party, yes!

 

You were walking along the corridors to get your books from the locker when you turned to check if Tao was somewhere behind you. You didn’t see him so you felt relieved. You always tend to feel weird whenever he’s around these days. It’s too unusual and creepy. You have to admit though, you’re getting closer.

“Well, well, well. The shows up.” Said Yoona as you were closing your locker. You turned around after, with books on hand. You kind of missed the three of them already. Eww.

“Look who’s talking.” You mumbled and smirked as their eyes got wide open.

“You think you’re so tough now that Tao oppa’s with you?” Jiyeon blurted out.

“He’s not with me.”

“Really? He’s always where you are.” Hyoyeon scoffed. They noticed.

“Not right now, though. Right?” said Yoona with a wide smile and innocent eyes. please.

“Yea… but I was able to hurt you without him, right?” You acted innocent to, just to piss them off. Don’t tell me they forgot that easy.

“Look, I don’t know what you two are but we’re giving you a heads up.” These es actually care?

“His ex broke up with him for no damn good reason and left him hanging.”

“He’s been cold ever since, to everyone, anyone… except you.” He’s still cold to me… sometimes… before.

“What has that got to do with me?” You disrupted their chain.

“Exactly. You have been an exception simply because you remind him of her. You also look a little alike.”

 “Though she doesn’t talk back like you do since she’s more of an angel, she’s carefree like you.”

 “She could be y sometimes too. But she cries a lot… and oppa will be there to comfort her.” I cry a lot, and he’s there to comfort me.

“So…?” You still don’t understand why they’re telling you all this. Though you got intrigued on the way they’re describing her. They seem to be describing you too.

“You should stay away from him. You don’t want to get yourself hurt, do you?” I don’t want to be used.

“And I would because…?” Though you really are considering it, Yoona bent down and whispered in your ears.

“Because you’re falling for him.” Am I really…? Nah.

“Dream on. I’m leaving.” You just said and squeezed between them to get out.

 

---

 

You let the bus stop on the waiting shed near JR’s studio since you decided you’d stay there for awhile. The party will be held in your house and you didn’t want to be seen there or else they’d force you to attend. This place was your getaway from the party. It has been so long since you last came here. You were about to enter the studio when someone beeped behind you. It was a black car.

“You really aren’t attending the party?”

“No, and don’t tell anyone I’m here.”

“But I’m already in my tux!”

“So?”

“I might snatch you there whenever… if they force me to.” He smirked.

“Please, just stay away from me for awhile. You’ve been around me long enough.” You faked a smile and entered the studio not letting him answer back. You heard his engine start up and left. Finally.

You went to the counter and nudged JR who was asleep again. Seriously, doesn’t anyone get out without paying with this kind of service? JR would be doomed. You kept on shaking him but he won’t budge. You decided to take the bottle of orange juice beside his sleeping head on the counter and poured on his hair the little amount of juice left. He woke up after.

“What the hell?!” He yelled.

“You woke up.” You just looked at him as he toweled his hair wet with sticky juice.

“Why are you here?” He sighed as he took a key hanging from the wall.

“Why else would I be here?”

“But there’s a party--”

“I’m not here. Okay oppa? Bye.” You hurriedly said as you went upstairs. JR just shook his head.

 

You’ve been in the studio four 4 hours when you decided to get some take out by the park. You were really hungry, beside it’s already 10pm. You wore your thick sweatshirt with a hoodie before going out since you thought it would be cold outside, especially because you were just wearing thin, white sleeveless almost wet with sweat.

You walked down and stopped when you reached the counter.

“Yah oppa, do you have any food?” You poked him as he was looking at the manga drawings.

“I won’t give it to you.”

“I knew you’d say that. Anyway, I’m just gonna buy some at the park, ne? I’ll be right back.”

“Yea, yea.” He said and went back to reading again.

You covered your head with your hoodie when you got out. You realized it was really dark so you ran your way towards the burger machine by the park. You heard your tummy growl and ran faster. You were about 15 meters away from the burger machine when someone who was wearing a black mask stood in front of you. Not a robbery right now, I’m too hungry.

You realized seconds later that you were actually surrounded by 6 masked men. Now you doubt if it’s still a robbery.

“What do you want?” You asked, not hinting any fear.

“You. Just come with us and you won’t get hurt.”

“Damn hell you wish.”

“Feisty girl. You won’t want to die right now would you?”

“I won’t be of any use when I’m dead will I?” You talked back and smirked.

“Smart girl, just like your father.” So this is some kidnap-for-ransom , huh?

You saw someone behind you stepped closer so you swiftly turned around and kicked his stomach. No one goes near me without getting hurt. They got alarmed by what you did and one by one they attacked you. You kicked and punched anyone who got near and tried your best to dodge their attacks but some were able to hit you. You were hit on your mouth and your lips burst. You tasted your own blood there. The worst one was right on your stomach. You heard your tummy growl once more. You kept kicking and hitting them but gradually slowed down when you felt dizzy. They should’ve let me eat first! Ugh.

“Getting tired, huh kid?” He said, as he was too getting deep breaths.

“I’m never tired for this.” You remarked and made a fighting stance.

Your eyes got wide open when something shiny was spotted by your eye. It was knife. Someone’s holding a ing knife! , this is bad. You kept your cool and tried to breathe deep, shaking your head once in a while as if it would take off the dizziness you were badly feeling. You knew any time you’d fall out of consciousness, you were just trying to hold on.

“Your fighting skills are great. Let’s see how you’re still doing with a knife.” You could almost imagine the guy smirking. He waved the knife at you that caused you to step back. I shouldn’t move a lot. I don’t think I can hold any longer. This…dizziness is… too agonizing…

 

Someone help me…