The Speculations

Come Back, Don't Go

An update! Sorry for updating just now but it was exams this week... and yeah. Anyway.. I wanna go to BWCW cafe! Sad. TT^TT

---

 

“Sehun, what’s wrong?” Asks Luhan to the mortified Sehun walking towards them in the living room.

“Didn’t you like the new rainbow butterflies?” Asks Suho. He was there earlier.

“I loved it. I just… I found Kris hyung and noona!” Sehun quickly acts normal for fear that they might question what happened. He doesn’t actually want to tell them the whole incident. He immediately sits on the cushion and takes the popcorn away from Chanyeol. They are watching a movie, Despicable Me 2. Sehun loves minions, and so does Chanyeol.

“So where are they?” Asks Kai, focus on the movie.

“Gazebo.” Sehun replies.

 

---

 

“They might be wondering where we are now.” You say in random. It is almost 6pm now. It’s getting dark yet you’re still in the gazebo. You and Kris were just quiet most of the time. You both like it that way.

“They wouldn’t care. We are here to relax and enjoy anyway.” Kris says as he stretches his arms up and back down.

“So… can we access anything around the place?”

“Mmm-hmmm.” Kris nods.

“Jinja?” You ask with eyes wide open.

“Wae?” He eyes you, not understanding why you got hyper all of a sudden.

“Swimming..?” You saw a pool earlier. You want to swim on the waters. It has been so long since you last did so. Kris hesitates but obliges. You both hurried up to your rooms and not so shockingly found no one in the living room. Kris says they might be in the play room. But you choose to still swim anyway.

You change your clothes to a one-piece, low-back black bathing suit and wear a short, faded shorts. You settle on the cat-ear strapped flip flops and head downstairs towards the pool. The night sky is darker now so lights around the pool area are already. The pool and the bushes around it seem more beautiful during this time.

You see a silhouette of a guy, you gathered is Kris, with his back on you on the farther side of the pool so you tip-toe yourself to that area to try and frighten him. You ready yourself to jump in the cool waters and angle your arms so your hands would hit his shoulders as you jump in. Unfortunately, you are the one surprised after the failed trick. Apparently, it wasn’t exactly Kris.

You realize after jumping in that his hair wasn’t blonde, but rather black, and is quite bigger than Kris’ built. You are too late to be aware of it though so you still end up hitting his shoulders which makes him turn around and face you, so close… too close for your liking. You are stuck looking back at those stunned orbs with your eyes as big as watermelon and your jaw drops thousand times down. Your hands are still suspended a little on air. You don’t know what to do next.

“You… Sorry.” You say as you travel your eyes away from his and swim away quickly to the opposite end. Before you could reach the end though, he mumbles for you to stop. Weird enough, you actually do so. Where is Kris when you need him? Damn.

“I’m sorry.” He mutters. Not now… I was getting okay with this hours ago.

“For what?” You utter in a monotone still without turning back.

“For last Saturday… if I hurt your pride or your ego… I’m just really sorry.” You hurt my feelings, you dumdum.

“Don’t be, what I feel is not important.” You say it as if it was just nothing. Even so, you sound so bitter it’s obviously not just nothing. What you feel is definitely important.

“It is, so I’m sorry.” He says as he bows his head down.

“No, it’s okay. You won’t even understand.” You cut him off. This time, you turn around and look at him. You want so badly for him to understand what you feel without really telling him what you feel. You know that it’s not easy to explain that to someone like him though. You don’t comprehend how his mind takes things anyway. “I don’t think you’ll ever understand…” You mutter that only you can hear, but he interrupts.

“I do.” He exclaims. Do you really?

“It doesn’t matter. Just forget it even happened.” You end your unwanted conversation with Tao and quickly swim to the edge of the pool and climb back up. You lost the desire to relax in the pool. You know you can’t do so since he’s around. You ponder on your thoughts as you go back inside dripping wet. You wish he isn’t such a slowpoke on understanding these things. But we don’t always get what we want do we?

You are suddenly being wrapped around a thick towel as you enter the living room that makes you stop walking. You found Kris looking at you worriedly. You abruptly feel more annoyed.

“I’m not okay. I’m pissed off. And you made it worse.” You state.

“What—how?” Kris says as he eyes you. He seems to act too nice for his real color.

“You were here all along yet you didn’t go out!” You squeak.

“I didn’t want to be a creeper!”

“I didn’t want to talk to him! But I had to… so he wouldn’t suspect if he even ever does.” You start off high but talk tinier in a whisper so no one would hear.

“Silly, at least he apologized--”

“See?! You heard our conversation!” You are so close to your boiling point now.

“Well… but… uhh…” He says as he ruffles his hair looking everywhere but your eyes.

“Your hair that itchy Wu Fan?” You ask in a straight face.

“You got me.” He says as he holds up both arms in defeat and sighs. His playful eyes changes to somewhat a serious one and he speaks his thoughts. “But you should reconsider. He apologized, and he doesn’t usually do that. Not to a girl.”

“You’re even defending him! I don’t get you!” You groan in annoyance washing your face with your hands as Kris tries hard to hide his laughter. “Laugh, and I’ll break your bones.” You state as you jab your finger at his chest.

“De Jae Min—pffft!” He couldn’t help it. So you did hit him by the shins. It’s more painful that way. Besides you didn’t want him to not have kids if ever. And he would not like it if you would actually hit him there. “Ow! Such an amazon!” He cringes in pain.

“You’re lucky today.” You snicker and walk towards the stairs, leaving him there in pain from your effortless kick. You roll eyes.

 

---

 

Hours come and go, yet all you’re doing is avoiding Tao. You just follow where everyone else goes, sometimes not even joining the fun at all. You prefer staying inside your room. It was safer that way. Besides, they believe whatever Kris alibis about you.

It’s not really that you hate Tao and such; it’s more like you’re scared of seeing him, of him confronting you. You’re pretty sure he knows nothing of what you feel but you didn’t want to talk about what he feels either. You’re scared of the obvious rejection. You never lingered over the idea of people leaving you. You hate people leaving you.

You’re getting attached to Tao without intentions to.  He can’t most likely stay as a friend now, not with your unlikely situation. For now, you don’t know what to do. And you hope that someday you will, he will. And you also hope that that someday is any time soon.

“Jae Min?” You hear a few knocks on the door as the creeper asks outside.

“What?” You ask.

“We’re playing basketball today…” and so?

“Do you want to play with us? You’ve been in that room for hours.” He continues when he hears no response from you.

“This room is currently my best friend so go away.” You say as you hug your pillow. You have been lying in bed for almost two days already. You only go out when it’s time to eat food. You either sleep or read the rest of times.

“Ouch Jae Min. You’re disposing me now?” He’s probably faking his heartbroken expression by now. You can even imagine him holding his chest while his eyes dull like sandpaper. Typical lame actor, Kris.

“Likely.” You nod even though he can’t see you.

“I hope you’d get out of there. We’re here to spend the vacation remember?” Kris slightly pleads. No can do baby. I prefer hiding than facing. -_-

“I’m spending it happily with my pillow and laptop and my self-proclaimed new best friend.”

“You’ll miss him more that way--” He says and you’re sure enough he’s smirking outside.

“Damn you Kris shut up!” You immediately turn your music up to its fullest volume. You don’t want to hear such words. You can’t.

 

Kris knowing you can’t be beseeched stops his failing plea and decides to head towards the gym. He muses over another good alibi while he’s at it. He sighs. Being your best friend is no easy work. Even so, having you as his best friend is the best thing Kris ever got and has until now. He never rues ever approaching you on that park when you were just kids. In fact, he’s glad his basketball actually hit your head that day.

“Yah oppa I want the pistachio flavor ne?!” You shout over at Kyuhyun running away from you towards the side of the ice cream parlor in the park. You and Kyu always go here during sundown. He nods without looking back at you.

You have with you your guitar so you start to strum the strings. You start to sing the same song from your music box remembering your friend’s death just two weeks ago. Kyuhyun actually brought you here for you to get some fresh air. You’ve been locking yourself up in your room ever since you heard the news. It was not easy bringing you up here.

Singing the song, you’re close to tearing up. The song isn’t exactly meant for her but it somehow portrays the incident. She got in a car accident that caused her death anyway. Not far from your bench, there are a number of kids playing basketball by the court. They look like they’re having fun, but you can’t feel it. You can’t feel anything since your friend’s death. She was your only friend… so now you’re on your own again. You’re alone again.

You remember about a year ago when you were still just six years old, how she approached you and asked to be your friend. She was the only one who did that, so she was your only friend. You’re not the kind to do things first anyway. Other people always have to do the effort. Now even though you want to play ball with the other kids, to even the slightest bit feel happy, you don’t know how to. You’re afraid.

You keep on singing random songs your mind would remember until you heard people shouting. You’re not sure if they’re just shouting or shouting at someone but you’re too indifferent to look up and find out.

“Yah-ya-yah! The ball! Yah, it’s coming at you!” You couldn’t understand what the commotion is all about but you wish you’re actually back in your room. You feel unsafe sitting on a bench in this open park. Kyuhyun’s taking forever to come back. You’re getting impatient.

Suddenly, you feel something tug your head that causes you to lean back a bit. You turn to see a ball bouncing slowly every second. So that was what they’re shouting about. Ouch. You massage the part of your forehead that was hardly hit by the ball. Your brows are in a furrow. You then see someone coming at you.

“Oh, mianhae. The ball got out of control… mianhae.” The tall kid keeps on bowing in front of you. Cute.

“It’s okay.” You answer with your head low. You’re uncomfortable around strangers.

“You’re new here?”

“Aniyo.” You shake your head.

“Well it’s the first time I saw you here.” He points out. It is your first time coming over at the park though. “You don’t talk too much, huh.” He says as he sits comfortably beside you. You don’t like the feeling.

“Stranger.” You mutter as you look away.

“Ah, well I’m Wu Fan.” The kid exclaims stretching his hand out for an introduction with a wide grin plastered on his face. You realize his name sounds like Chinese, but his face isn’t quite so. “Jae Min.” You say undecided to whether or not shake his hand back. You hesitate, but you would look snobbish so you did so anyway.

“Friends, okay?” You suddenly remember your now dead friend. She left you alone. Friends leave you. “You’d leave me like everyone else.” Kris is taken aback. You’re colder than he imagines. But he is a smart kid for his age though. He understands.

“I don’t leave my friends alone. I won’t leave you, I promise!” He says as he raises his right hand. He seems really true to his words. You need a friend like him and you know that. You exchange smiles and just sit there and talk about anything for minutes. “See, you actually talk a lot.” He grins, that makes you smile too. He invites you to play basketball later and you agree. You’re walking your way to the court when he asks. “You’re alone?”

“Ani, oppa… oppa just bought ice cream.” You wonder where Kyuhyun is. It’s been so long. You start to play basketball as Kris teaches you some tricks. You laugh at your failed attempts to score.  Kyuhyun is actually around all the while. He was just at a safe distance. He sees you and Kris talking and when he sees you smile and even laugh, he knows he’s not needed anymore at the moment. He knows Kris’ family. He feels happy that you have a new friend. He feels happy that you’re happy now.

 

“Yah! You’re just standing there duizhang! Aren’t you playing?” Asks Chanyeol as Kris is taken away from his long flashback. He’s a bit astounded that he’s already by the court. He gains his self back and starts to play. He will never forget basketball. Besides it was because of the game that he met you.

You can hear their noise and laughter in your room from the open window. Technically, the court is just behind your side of the rooms. You’re on the second floor though so it’s not really as loud as it should be. They seem like really having fun so you’re tempted to take a peek. You stand up from your fluffy bed and walk towards the open window.

Either faith is being a  on you or it’s just coincidence that the first person you see down is Tao spinning the ball on his finger. They’re not actually playing like you expected. In fact, they’re just doing random things down the court. Nothing special happens that would make you want to go down there. Isn’t Tao’s ball-spinning enough? Damn, no.Lame.” You sour grape and lie back to bed.

 

“Yah, today’s Wednesday right?” Asks Kai to no one in particular as he sits on a bench. Everyone’s tired from playing basketball. It’s almost dusk actually, the sun’s a perfect shade of yellow and red now.

“Yeah, why?” Luhan answers, then asks.

“Have you forgotten? There’ll be a party this weekend right?” Kai calls as he drinks from his bottle of water. They stopped playing for awhile.

“So…?” Chanyeol comments.

“Babo ya! We’re usually buying food and decors today remember?” Baekhyun lightly hits Chanyeol’s head.

“Aish, I forgot!” Luhan remarks.

“We can do it tomorrow hyung!” Sehun beams.

“First thing tomorrow then.” Kris says.

“Can I go with you?” Hana asks and their looks are like please. Except for Luhan and Kai probably. Everything Hana says seems to amaze the both of them, big or not. They’re fools for her. It’s crazy how up to now Hana has no clue.

“We’re all going of course, even Jae Min.” Kris says and looks above where your window is positioned at. You should come.

 

---

 

It takes an hour for you to be in the marketplace. You all got to ride on Luhan’s private van that fits all of you. All you see outside while looking over since you purposely sat first on the shotgun seat are trees, fields and big houses. You can’t really call this the country side but it’s close to it. It is way far from Seoul after all. They’re all singing and talking and laughing at the back while you choose to have your earphones on at the front. They made you go with them anyway. It’s all Kris’ fault.

“Yah! We’re here, everyone out!” Chanyeol beams as he’s the first one out. You lazily open the car’s door and step outside with a straight face.

“What’s with the face Jae Min?” Kris asks obviously to annoy you. You just glare at him and roll eyes. You blackmailed me you .

“Okay, first stop is the food guys so let’s go!” Suho leads as all of you follow him towards the food section. It’s not really a mall but it’s not just food around either. There are flowers and lights and other things you could care less about. Hana’s with Luhan in the front as Kai tries hard not to get obvious on wanting to be beside Hana too. Crazy. You choose to be on the farthest end. Everyone’s walking by pairs except for the three of them and Suho. You find Kris walking beside you.

All eyes are on you, or probably on the guys you’re with as you walk in the food section. Obvious crazy ladies. Chanyeol, Hana, Lay and Xiumin take the baskets while the rest just follows. D.O. tells everyone to split up to fasten the pace and gives a list of things to buy to people assigned. You’re stuck with Chanyeol, Baekhyun and Kris. You still glare at Kris from time to time but he would just act innocent. Derp.

You happen to pass by the ice cream section so you take a pint of pistachio flavor. Kris just shakes his head as he passes by you. Practically, Chanyeol and Baekhyun are the ones buying while you and Kris just tag along. You’re happy you haven’t crossed paths with Tao’s group yet. You haven’t actually seen him since you left Luhan’s house earlier. You know he’s around though.

You’re about to line up to the cash register when you remembered to get something. You turn around quickly but jolt up when you hit Kris’ chest.

“Aw!” You say as you massage your forehead. It’s not really that his body’s like stone but you hit his finger which had a ring on.

“Looking for this?” He asks as he raises up a pack of oreos. Your eyes widen. He knows you too well.

“Thanks…” You say as you snatch the oreos away from him. You see him about to smirk so you talk again. “I still hate you though.” You point out and head back to Chanyeol and Baekhyun busy fighting over what to place on the register lane first. Kids.

“Yah! That is my peace offering!” Kris hollers.

“Shut up.” You roll eyes.

LQ~” They both hum in unison. You just eye them like wtf.

 

People these days… unbelievable.