The Revelation

Come Back, Don't Go

 

---

 

All of you started to get in the van when you got a call from your mom. You excused yourself outside and answered the phone. You were standing outside when you saw Tao also getting a call.

“Jae Min.” But it wasn’t your mom calling. Can’t he use his phone?

“What?”

“Cancel all your appointments for tonight. I need you to go to this restaurant…” He said. Can’t he even sound like a father even when just calling? I’m not some client eh.

“I’ll be there.” You said and ended the call. I can’t even celebrate.

Strange enough, you ended the call at the same time Tao stopped talking on his phone. Both of you went to the van with your poker faces on. You were gonna tell them bad news anyway.

“What are you waiting for?” asked Baekhyun when both of you just stood outside the van.

“Hurry! Get in!” hollered Chanyeol tapping the empty seat beside him. Isn’t he excited?

“I can’t come.” You both said in unison.

“Wae?” asked Hana but it was obvious all of them wanted to know why. It’s too sudden.

“Family thing.” You both answered again. Even his reason shocked you.

“Will you be okay?” asked Kris worried as always. You just nodded even though you really have no idea how to go to the restaurant your father wanted you to go to. They all just nodded and decided to leave. You’re pretty sure not having you around to celebrate won’t be a bummer on them. Besides, you know you’d just be a bore when you would. You weren’t allowed to drink anymore anyway.

You were still standing there looking over as the van starts to go smaller. You don’t have any transportation to go to the said place and you doubt the bus would be okay for the travel. You turned around but found no Tao. Now you’re really all alone. You were hesitating to call your mom and ask for someone to fetch you from school when a familiar black car stopped beside you.

“Need a ride?” He asked as he lowered his car window down.

“No it’s okay--”

“C’mon, I still have time to drive you wherever you’re going.” You were hesitating again.

“It might be out of the way…I’m going to -----------”

“What a coincidence. I’m heading there too. Hop in.” He said and opened his door for you. You quickly went in the passenger’s seat beside him and he started the engine. The long drive to the restaurant was too deafening in silence. You didn’t want to talk and he seemed not in the mood to either. It was your own peaceful silence.

 

---

 

Thirty minutes had passed until you finally saw the restaurant’s façade. It’s a good thing no one has called you yet. Your father is usually keen on time. It seemed weird he seemed calm tonight. Tao swiftly turned the car right to enter the restaurant. It has been so long since you’ve last been here. Still, the place is five-star in class.

“Here we are.” Tao said as he went out of the car as the bellman opened your side of the car. He quickly walked towards you as the bellman took his keys and parked it on the lot. You were about to enter the place when the lobbyist stopped you and looked at you disgusted. We know we’re in jeans, no need to point that out.

“May I know who you are sir, ma’am?” She asked trying so hard to hide her loathing as she did. Faker.

“Should you?” You blurted out and Tao just nudged your side.

“Huang Zi Tao… and Cho Jae Min.” He said since he doubted you’d even bother. He realized you hated the lobbyist when you first laid eyes on her. Her eyes just widened in shock when she heard your names. That’s right, bow down to the queen. Lol.

“Oh, of course. Please enter the hall. Everyone is waiting.” She said and trembled as she smiled. Of course yourself. You just rolled eyes at her. You didn’t quite understand what ‘everyone’ meant. And if there would be some kind of party tonight, both you and Tao are completely out of place. The rest must be in their suits and long dresses for all you could care.

You were walking along the hallway towards the terrace of the restaurant when a girl appeared. Based on Tao’s sudden halt, she’s someone familiar. You were secretly moving your eyes from the girl to Tao and vice versa.

“Zi Tao!” She beamed as she went closer.

“Sulli.” He bowed a little. You were too lazy to be respectful though.

“Why are you wearing jeans? Everyone’s in suits and almost all businessmen and women are in there. Mom wanted me to come since you’ll be around. How are you holding up?” She asked. She was a fast talker.

“I’m--” He was about to answer but she talked again.

“Oh what a question! I’m sure you’re okay especially when you’re having a fiancé already. I’m so excited to see her! Anyway, I have to use the powder room. Bye!” She said and walked off. Tao was just standing there. You were shocked.

“You have a fiancé? You’re so… young.” You just asked. I thought the ex already broke up with him?

“I didn’t know.” He said and you just shrugged and looked forward.

“I’m guessing this is your party then right?” You asked and found him staring at you. “Yah!” You waved your hands in front of him and called him until he snapped out of it.

“Sorry, let’s go.” He said and started walking off. You just followed behind him.

 

The doorman opened the glass doors for you and you both entered the elite-designed terrace. You were really out of place. Everyone was walking around on tables talking to everyone and you got dizzy just looking at them. You hated formal dining. You hated these kinds of parties. For you, it’s not even worth calling a party. It’s too boring.

“I saw my mom. I should leav--”

“Wait. I think she’s with my mom. I’ll go with you.” You hated being alone on such a place like this. You hated getting lost. You didn’t even realize you were holding on his right arm already.

“Mom.” Tao said when you reached them. Both of them stopped talking for awhile and looked at him then they looked at you and your hand which was holding his arm. You slowly unclasped your hand when you realized that.

“You… got here together?” Your mom asked and Tao just nodded since you were too busy judging people around you who were obviously glancing at you whenever. With just his answer, their eyes glinted like sparkles.

“What was Sulli talking about?”

“About what?” His mom asked.

“About me having a fiancé… that’s absurd.” He said, calming his self. He didn’t want attention.

“That’s not a lie though.” His mom said.

“That’s crazy I… you know… I’ll talk this with you at home. Do I at least know her?”

“Oh you do! I guess you just don’t remember.” Your mom answered and they both chuckled on some private joke. Why is my mom answering his question? He was just standing there, taking long, deep breaths and he seemed spaced out. If I was in his position I would have walked out already. It’s amazing how he still keeps himself together.

“What are you two?” You asked.

“Isn’t it obvious?” Your mom answered. This is annoying, she’s acting like a kid.

“Should I have asked?” You rolled eyes.

“We’re best friends, and our companies are merging as one. This party is to celebrate it. This also is a mini-party for you.” Your mom answered grinning.

“My birthday’s not due ‘til 2 months.”

“Oh we’re not talking about your birthday Jae Min…” And it just got to you what she meant. You automatically remembered what Kris said weeks ago. It’s silly how it got off of your head for days. So it’s true. How could they?

“Jae Min! Jae Min wait!” Kris shouted as he ran towards you. You were about to enter your club’s building when he stopped you.

“What’s with the rush?”

“I just remembered and had to tell you this as soon as possible.” He said catching his breath.

“That must be something important…”

“It is. Though I’m not sure if it’s true or not… try to understand.”

“Spill.”

“Noona told me… that she knew it from your brother--”

“Tell me already!” You kidded.

“You have a fiancé.” And that stopped your world.

“I… I’m… this is not true.” You said as you unknowingly curled your hands to a ball. Your mom made you sit on a chair as she sat in front of you. Tao sat beside you as his mom opposite from him, unlike you he was just calm. He saw your hands and he uncurled both of it. Now you’re wondering if his ex also does this.

“It is. Here, drink water.” Your mom said as she gave you a glass of water. You seemed agitated and pale.

 

It has been minutes that you’re just sitting there. You cooled down a bit, but you still can’t understand why they even have to do this. They did something behind your back indeed. The worst part is you don’t know how to get out from it. The companies are already merging, why bother engage me to him?

“In a while, we’ll introduce you to everyone.” Your mom whispered.

“Do that, and I’ll make a scene.” You challenged. You know she cares so much about reputation.

“They have to know you.”

“I don’t take back my words.” You said, cold as ice.

“Don’t be stubborn.” She said in gritted teeth.

“You could always just dispose me again. I’d love that better.”

“I’ll call your father.” Your mom said and you curled your hands again. Tao, uncurled it again too.

“You must hate your father.”

“Of course. He’s been blaming me for something he did. He said it’s my fault that grandfather died, but he made him angry and get a heart attack. It’s too obvious whose fault it is. He’s a coward.”

Tao just kept quiet since he sensed that you were so close to your boiling point. He knew you had a short temper but he’s amazed how you managed to keep calm even after the ruthless revelation. It wasn’t really so, but it was hard enough for the both of you to take in.

Minutes after you just heard your name and Tao’s being called in front. Everyone clapped their hands as Tao was almost dragging you to go in front. You were just wearing your blank face. You thought that by being your usual self in front of everyone, your parents would be pissed off. You were rebellious after all. You got up on stage and he let go of your wrist. He was also giving out nothing. At least for once, we agree on something.

 

---

 

It was past midnight when the party ended. Everyone says you and Tao look good together but you knew they were just saying that for the heck of it. You’ve been worrying on a lot of things throughout the whole party and everything starts with the fact that you have a fiancé.  You couldn’t believe arrange marriages were actually still possible and the truth that you’re not even an adult yet makes it worse. You are just 17 for Pete’s sake!

Tao offered his car to ride you home and you didn’t argue since you were tired. You needed so badly to get out of that restaurant. It was a good thing the atmosphere in the car wasn’t awkward at all. It’s probably just the fact that both of you don’t want to talk about it. You know how much he’s still attached to his ex. That just worsens the worst.

You just finished taking a bath when Hana called.

“Omo Jae Min! We had the best celebration ever!” She seemed happy.

“Really? Why?”

The boys are just so funny! Especially Chen, he always trolls the other guys. It was so amazing!”

“That’s nice. Where did you go?”

“Pizza place… Is something wrong?” She asked. So she noticed.

“No I’m just sleepy.” You decided not to tell her yet.

“Oh well, I should just end this. I’ll go there tomorrow, okay? I’ll tell you everything and you should tell me about the Sungjong scene earlier! I wish you were there with us!”

“Okay, just come whenever you want to.”

“Bye gwiyomi!”

“Bye shikshin.” And you ended the call.

 

You didn’t feel sleepy at all so you decided to call Kris. He answered on the third ring.

“Yeoboseo?” He asked huskily. That doesn’t affect you anyway.

“It’s me.”

“Why did you call?”

“Something bad was confirmed tonight.”

“That you have a fiancé?

“YES!”

It’s Tao isn’t it?”

“How… did you know?”

“I figured it out.”

“You’re so smart. Could you figure something out to end this mess?”

“No. Who knows, you might actually fall in love with him--”

“That’s impossible!”

“C’mon, Tao isn’t bad. He’s a sweet person… before that is.”

“Why?!” You groaned. He’s not helping at all. He just chuckled. And there was silence. All you could hear are each other’s breaths on both lines.

“Why wasn’t it you instead?” You murmured.

“Don’t ask me that. You’re giving me shivers.”

“Yah! You’re so mean!” You chuckled even so.

“As long as it makes you laugh, I’d be the meanest person in the world.” He kidded.

“What would I do without you?” You sighed.

You’ll never know… ‘cause I don’t plan on leaving anyway.” What he said calmed you and somehow even though he’s far… his voice made you feel safe.

 

Now I can sleep tight.